Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
My fiance's first ever randori. Her third lesson overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Haha, yikes. The advanced brackets for ADCC norway is up, and apparently I'm up against a guy with nine grappling medals, three of them being first place.
Considering that my competition merits is a win and a half, this can only go my way! Especially with ADCC's enormous 10 kg weightclasses and the fact that he competed in the one ABOVE on his last competition. :v:

I'm kind of bummed out, though. One of my biggest hopes for a beginner's medal broke his hand training last week. I've been spending a lot of time with him to prepare cuz' no-one was as amped about this event as he was, and it just breaks my heart that he'll be having a surgery instead of getting to compete.
Still got four other guys going down there, so I'm still hopeful that we'll be able to get some poll placements in the end.

Just a couple more days to go!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Office Sheep posted:

I caught ringworm at a gross bjj place that I will not be returning to. Should I wait a while after the rash clears up to go back to judo or am I good to go as soon as the rash it gone?

Go by whatever it says on what you are putting on it. Some stuff takes a week, some stuff takes a month. Though there is no harm in putting the anti-fungal on for an extra week longer just to be safe.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Isn't it really easy to injure your wrist from throwing hooks if you're new?

It's straight boxing and the hook is the third punch you learn.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Striking Chat:

Sparring again last night! Have to admit I feel WAY better about my performance even just compared to Monday. I still sucked of course but I didn't feel as down about how I couldn't parry every strike and hit back with perfect form etc.

The difference is that last night most of the class sparred (instead of the usual 4 of us ) and I got to spar with people who are also total newbs. Man it is so comforting to see and hear someone in person going through the exact same issues as I am. I know you guys have mentioned all of the things I've said are totally normal but when you're only sparring against guys who constantly destroy you it's pretty rough on the ol' morale.

I even got to feel like I almost kind of knew my poo poo because I could peg another newbie and not get a 10 punch/kick combo thrown at me. I know that's false confidence but still, it was a nice little mental boost.

I still need better reactions and more general focus though - if I get 2 kicks in a row ALL I'm looking at is the legs and bam, fist in the face. Then I focus on the hands and BAM kicks to the leg/side. I'm not sure if my visual acuity is just low but it kind of feels like when I just look at the chest I can't see stuff coming as well. I suppose that could be my headgear too? I'm using this one http://www.drakosports.com/p-628-drako-vinyl-training-boxing-headgear.aspx currently.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

TollTheHounds posted:

Striking Chat:

Sparring again last night! Have to admit I feel WAY better about my performance even just compared to Monday. I still sucked of course but I didn't feel as down about how I couldn't parry every strike and hit back with perfect form etc.

The difference is that last night most of the class sparred (instead of the usual 4 of us ) and I got to spar with people who are also total newbs. Man it is so comforting to see and hear someone in person going through the exact same issues as I am. I know you guys have mentioned all of the things I've said are totally normal but when you're only sparring against guys who constantly destroy you it's pretty rough on the ol' morale.

I even got to feel like I almost kind of knew my poo poo because I could peg another newbie and not get a 10 punch/kick combo thrown at me. I know that's false confidence but still, it was a nice little mental boost.

I still need better reactions and more general focus though - if I get 2 kicks in a row ALL I'm looking at is the legs and bam, fist in the face. Then I focus on the hands and BAM kicks to the leg/side. I'm not sure if my visual acuity is just low but it kind of feels like when I just look at the chest I can't see stuff coming as well. I suppose that could be my headgear too? I'm using this one http://www.drakosports.com/p-628-drako-vinyl-training-boxing-headgear.aspx currently.

All headgear (thats worth wearing) messes with your peripheral vision at least a bit, you just have to get used to it and make sure you also spend time light sparring/doing active drills without headgear so you dont get too used to it

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
So I'm in my third week of BJJ. When I roll with people I still don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. Is there something that I should focus on trying to do while rolling? Like a basic technique? Should I just try to pass guard?

I find that if they (not so obviously) let me almost pass guard/do anything, I'm at a loss for what to do. Obviously this is because I've only taken 5 or 6 classes but until I have some things to practice, what should I try and do while rolling?

Also here is where I am training; how's it seem? http://mashgym.com

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Moniker posted:

So I'm in my third week of BJJ. When I roll with people I still don't have a clue as to what I'm doing. Is there something that I should focus on trying to do while rolling? Like a basic technique? Should I just try to pass guard?

For newbies, the best way to roll is to treat it as drilling with resistance. For example, tell your partner that you want to practice passing the guard (assuming you learned a method for that), and you want them to resist that. If you pass the guard, you go back into the guard and start over and pass again. Or pick an armbar technique - if you learned an armbar from side mount, start in sidemount and try to get the armbar. If your partner escapes or reverses you, or you get the armbar, you reset and start over. You can also practice reversals or escapes in this manner.

As a newbie, you really really need to limit the scope of your rolling so that you don't spend 80% of your rolling time in positions that you don't know anything about, because that's just a waste of everyone's time.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Moniker posted:

I find that if they (not so obviously) let me almost pass guard/do anything, I'm at a loss for what to do. Obviously this is because I've only taken 5 or 6 classes but until I have some things to practice, what should I try and do while rolling?

Also here is where I am training; how's it seem? http://mashgym.com

You wont "really" know what youre doing for a while, but if you havent already, learn all the basic holddowns (circle of holds) from top position ie guard, half guard, side control, north south, mount and the proper postures for all of them and try to get to one of those positions and hold the guy whenever you can/they let you. Theres books you can read and stuff to get started, but mainly just pay attention in class and when you do rolling try to practice whatever you learned that day, and when youre rolling with higher belts always ask for advice if you dont understand whats going on or see them do something interesting, they should be helpful

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Okay, thanks guys. I wasn't sure if practicing what I learned that day is what I wanted to do. I appreciate it!

Edit:

quote:

(circle of holds) from top position ie guard, half guard, side control, north south, mount
I have not learned this. Is there a resource online that I can read more about what you're talking about?

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Moniker posted:

Yes, if you're in your opponent's guard you should be entirely focused on passing guard (and, obviously, not getting submitted). MMA guys can think about ground and pound, and there are some submissions that aren't considered reliable, but otherwise you have to pass guard before you can think about doing anything else.

In general you can think of all your basic positions like this. If you're on bottom try to reestablish your guard or at least half guard. In half guard, try to get to full guard. In guard, try to get on top. From there pass guard, mount/back mount, and finally submit.

Of course it's not that simple. For starters there are submissions from many of these positions which you can either use for their own sake, or to help you set up the transitions. Then obviously there are shortcuts; why not sweep directly from half guard to top position if you have the opportunity? Then when you get more advanced there are individual styles; some guys would just rather hang out in half guard than guard, or rather be on bottom than on top, or prefer side control to mount etc., especially in sport jiu jitsu settings. This is fine but the most basic, classic route is the one I described and probably the best place to start.

Anyway it doesn't matter too much because you don't know how to make any of these transitions anyway! Just try to work whatever you've learned so far, and learn from your mistakes. Try to keep good posture and a good base, and keep your opponent from getting good grips on you. If you can't escape or advance, just try to survive without getting submitted or put into a worse position. (Edit: and what everyone else said.)

Edit: Yes, practicing the moves you studied that day is a great thing to focus on at any level, even if you know tons of other stuff. Work on that stuff while it's fresh in your mind. You're going to have to practice it a zillion times anyway before you can use it (or even, I think, before you can fairly say that it's not for you) so you might as well get started now instead of later when you will probably have forgotten some details.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 14, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
From the top: pass mount choke/armbar
From the bottom: (escape to guard if nec) sweep mount choke/armbar

Take their back if you get the chance then rnc.

The details and deviations will come with time but if you just focus on That sequence, you'll never be wrong.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
On jitz talk:

Thanks for all the earlier advice. I'm gradually learning to not get destroyed in blue belt guard.

Does anyone have any experience with heel/ankle picking for the takedown? I've got a decently high success rate on taking guys down, but I can never keep them in a position where I can transition into anything meaningful. Every time I get them to the ground they manage to right themselves and begin working back into guard.

It's sort of hard to imagine, but general tips on a good heel pick takedown would be great.

For using subs to transition; faking an anklelock from top open guard and then sitting up as they turn away to scramble out has worked unbelievably well for passing on guys at my experience level.

Fontoyn fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 14, 2012

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
God I am so loving hopeless at striking. I've seriously got to learn...
a) to start circling/blocking/countering instead of just retreating when I see punches incoming.
b) to follow up kicks with something else
c) to throw combos in general
d) to quit being such a pussy and get into range where I can actually connect with punches
gently caress.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I bit my tongue really hard tonight and it hurts :(

Before I got in the ring I was chewing on my mouthguard saying "ok keep your mouth closed this time dummy" and apparently myself did not listen to myself because I did it anyways, arrrggh

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Kekekela posted:

a) to start circling/blocking/countering instead of just retreating when I see punches incoming.
d) to quit being such a pussy and get into range where I can actually connect with punches
gently caress.

Wait until you have to relearn your stance again because your narrow stance lets people see all your kicks coming.

Kinda just want to sink down on my knees and just stay there for a while.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Does she want you to post this on the internet?

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
She doesn't care Niethan, defender of the internet and all that is good in the world and on forums™ . Its super cute and I'm proud.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
STRIKECHAT!

My new favourite has to be the counter - sidesteup - uppercut. It happens when you time your sparring partners left jab, quickly sidestep under it and to the right and at the same time slip a left hand uppercut at his jaw. It needs a little timing, setup, and is difficult as hell to get it "right". The first times I tried it I somehow dropped my right arm and got tagged going in but at least against slighly less experienced guys it can work really well.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Nierbo posted:

She doesn't care Niethan, defender of the internet and all that is good in the world and on forums™ . Its super cute and I'm proud.

The look on her face suggests flirtation with the old blue man, maybe you should keep and eye out for future 'late night judo sessions'?

Ligur posted:

STRIKECHAT!

My new favourite has to be the counter - sidesteup - uppercut. It happens when you time your sparring partners left jab, quickly sidestep under it and to the right and at the same time slip a left hand uppercut at his jaw. It needs a little timing, setup, and is difficult as hell to get it "right". The first times I tried it I somehow dropped my right arm and got tagged going in but at least against slighly less experienced guys it can work really well.

I'll try this; want to see if I can get a right straight->left kick to the belly combo going

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Ligur posted:

STRIKECHAT!

Have not tried this but I like the sound of it. Personally I like counter - headkick. You push the jab down and lift your knee up then flick it around and downwards to the head.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Fontoyn posted:

I'll try this; want to see if I can get a right straight->left kick to the belly combo going

Whatcha mean? Like, slip something and counter with the right cross (that'd be another right you are slipping?) and then punish with a leg kick?

The idea with my slip and sidemove to the right and then follow with left hand uppercut is that it gets between the hands of your pal. His left hand jab is extened and not protecting the face, and because you slip and step to your right it leaves an opening between his protecting right hand and his left jab even if it's returning to position. *SMACK* your short left uppercut lands on his jaw/nose/face.

gregarious Ted posted:

Have not tried this but I like the sound of it. Personally I like counter - headkick. You push the jab down and lift your knee up then flick it around and downwards to the head.

What sort of kick is this? Sounds neat though if it works. So you basically counter the jab by slapping it away and down, lift your knee (left? right?) and snap it down over the jab you just blocked or something, right?

I also like a crescent kick with your lead foot. You throw a swift, circulal crescent kick with your lead leg and swipe or take down your friends lead (usually left) hand with the kick and immediately follow with a heavy right cross over the lead hanf of your opponent, because it's now out of the way since your kick took it off position.

Though that's more like a trick/semi-contact technique. In full contact kicks like that are pretty dangerous, if your partner just blocks it and you can't get his lead hand pushed down with the axe/crescent kick, you'll be all out of balance and in a position where he can just hammer you with more or less both hands. And legs. And poo poo. But it looks cool!

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ligur posted:

Whatcha mean? Like, slip something and counter with the right cross (that'd be another right you are slipping?) and then punish with a leg kick?

The idea with my slip and sidemove to the right and then follow with left hand uppercut is that it gets between the hands of your pal. His left hand jab is extened and not protecting the face, and because you slip and step to your right it leaves an opening between his protecting right hand and his left jab even if it's returning to position. *SMACK* your short left uppercut lands on his jaw/nose/face.

Yeah, slip far enough to the right that as soon as you land the uppercut you can throw your right hand. The hands are up front so the side is pretty open. From the right just take a small step and pivot into a pretty solid roundhouse wherever you want it.

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie
Is it a bad sign that there is no talk of hand wrapping in my krav class? So far we haven't really worked our hands yet but I've been typing heavily since I was 15 and I don't really wanna tempt fate. I've only been to 2 classes and maybe they leave that stuff for more serious classes/sparring or something?

How important is hand wrapping anyway?

From perusing this topic It seems that it is a basic day 1 type thing. And Kind of important.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Blooshoo posted:

Is it a bad sign that there is no talk of hand wrapping in my krav class? So far we haven't really worked our hands yet but I've been typing heavily since I was 15 and I don't really wanna tempt fate. I've only been to 2 classes and maybe they leave that stuff for more serious classes/sparring or something?

From perusing this topic It seems that it is a basic day 1 type thing. And Kind of important.

Well Krav Maga schools run a very broad gamut of stupidity so the answer could range from "They think its xtreme realistic real-life self defense so you arent allowed to wrap your hands" to "They have never heard of wrapping your hands" to "They just forgot", but regardless if you want to learn how to punch properly you should probably be in boxing!

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Oh my loving god i am the shittiest poo poo ever. I promised to cover for my friend running the BJJ basics course and then blissfully forgot about the whole thing.

How do i make up for this poo poo :(

Blooshoo
May 15, 2004
I'm a newbie

Chemtrail Clem posted:

Well Krav Maga schools run a very broad gamut of stupidity so the answer could range from "They think its xtreme realistic real-life self defense so you arent allowed to wrap your hands" to "They have never heard of wrapping your hands" to "They just forgot", but regardless if you want to learn how to punch properly you should probably be in boxing!

We actually do not have a straight up boxing school here that I could find. We have a Muay Thai place that I wanna check out though. And a uh..systema/judo place which has a very interesting back story http://www.mtpleasantmartialarts.com/about/ (i'd be interested in some thoughts on that!)

I'm a smaller guy so I think i might be more interested in a grappling thing but it seems most things like that have a barrier for entry (that being the Gi ) and I like to try before I buy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Blooshoo posted:

I'm a smaller guy so I think i might be more interested in a grappling thing but it seems most things like that have a barrier for entry (that being the Gi ) and I like to try before I buy.

It really doesn't matter how tall you are for anything because of weight classes

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Blooshoo posted:

We actually do not have a straight up boxing school here that I could find. We have a Muay Thai place that I wanna check out though. And a uh..systema/judo place which has a very interesting back story http://www.mtpleasantmartialarts.com/about/ (i'd be interested in some thoughts on that!)

Oh yeah gently caress Krav dude, head straight over to the Muay Thai place. You will become an absurdly better fighter/athlete there than you will with any Krav Maga gym.

edit: And the judo/systema place sounds crazy. Unless you're interested in a spiritual journey, in which case it sounds great.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Blooshoo posted:

There are a lot of posts early on in this thread where I defend krav maga and say I like the striking base.

Disregard those. It has some serious problems that didn't pop up until I started fighting better fighters, specifically with its ability to telegraph kicks. I seriously cannot, cannot lead with a kick because the basic krav stance requires you to take a step to throw a right round kick.

If you want to do some MMA work, the striking base works ok because you'll get really good at guiding punches away from you instead of parrying them and you don't want to lead with a round kick in MMA anyway. However, if you want to do standup striking work against muay thai guys, they'll loving eat you alive.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 15, 2012

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CaptainScraps posted:

There are a lot of posts early on in this thread where I defend krav maga and say I like the striking base.

Disregard those. It has some serious problems that didn't pop up until I started fighting better fighters, specifically with its ability to telegraph kicks. I seriously cannot, cannot lead with a kick because the basic krav stance requires you to take a step to throw a right round kick.

If you want to do some MMA work, the striking base works ok because you'll get really good at guiding punches away from you instead of parrying them and you don't want to lead with a round kick in MMA anyway. However, if you want to do standup striking work against muay thai guys, they'll loving eat you alive.

Curious; How/why did you widen your stance? I've got a slightly wider stand to accommodate for takedowns, but I traditionally stick to the basic 45-degree Thai Stance.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Fontoyn posted:

Curious; How/why did you widen your stance? I've got a slightly wider stand to accommodate for takedowns, but I traditionally stick to the basic 45-degree Thai Stance.

Krav's got a narrower wrestler's stance: both feet pointing the same direction, one slightly behind the other, back foot up. I can't throw a right round kick without taking a step; your hips are just too closed to make it worthwhile.

The two muay thai guys in the gym operate on a wide (feet greater than shoulder width) stance. They're not as mobile as I am (they kind of bounce to move) but their kicks constantly take me by surprise because they can just twist and bam, shin in my ribs.

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 15, 2012

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Blooshoo posted:

I don't know if other people's experiences differ, but I'm pretty sure at most schools you can do a couple trial lessons either borrowing a gi (or at least a jacket) that belongs to the school, going to no-gi classes, or sometimes just doing without one. I've trained with guys that didn't have a gi even when I was pretty new myself. I just asked the teacher "How do I set up this armbar if he doesn't have a gi" and it was no problem. Of course it depends; if we'd been doing collar chokes that day it would have been impossible. But if you call ahead and discuss it with the instructor you should be able to work something out.

Of course it depends how much "trying before you buy" you intend to do. If you decide three months in that you hate it, then yeah you're out some money. (Though at that point you'll have paid more for lessons than you did for the gi, so you would be out money regardless.)

McNerd fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 15, 2012

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mewse posted:

Our old yugoslavian coach is always yelling "hooook! hoook!" at the new guys because they just throw straights when they start sparring.

Canada is weird. All the stupid fucks new guys at our gym do it throw big loopy hooks. Trying to get a straight punch out of them is like pulling teeth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I dunno man I think we drill jab/cross a LOT and people start sparring later than your guys, so when they finally start sparring they think 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2 is a good combination

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Ligur posted:

STRIKECHAT!

I use this all the time in mirror stance (usually them orthodox, me southpaw). If they step too early before launching the jab, I'm outside and wrapping my lead (left) uppercut around their outstretched arm. Follow with cross then hook, then inside leg kick. I don't do it if they're pretty fast with the jab.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Kekekela posted:

gently caress.

If you look at the last few posts of mine in this thread, you're not alone. Just gotta hang in there buddy! I keep retreating and/or blocking only instead of countering/parrying/circling. I'm trying a mantra now where instead of retreating on attack I just push forward. I don't want to run from hits, I want to take them if I have to and punish the other guy for it.

Easier said than done though.

I noticed when sparring with other newbs I am a LOT more confident in just pushing forward and have more fun trying things out. I guess it's just that they don't intimidate me so I'm not scared to be aggressive and take hits because I know the hits will be super light. When I'm sparring with people who seem to be barely holding back ( or just straight up intimidate me ) it makes me end up turtling, because I know if I gently caress up it's going to knock my head back not just give me a tap on the nose. The silly thing is that when I do get tagged, it doesn't hurt. There is no pain, it's just a weird feeling being hit hard even with gear on. So why the gently caress am I instinctively moving away? I'm not consciously worried it's going to hurt, I know it doesn't drat it.

A good pre-sparring exercise we did though that I plan to continue, is hold your gloves up in blocking mode and have your partner lightly punch your face a bunch ( 20 times or whatever ). Then have them hit harder for another little bit, then harder again for another bit, to hopefully reduce that "fist coming at me better back up!" instinct.

Just gotta give it time, eventually we'll be taking hits and not giving a poo poo. :unsmith:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

TollTheHounds posted:

I guess it's just that they don't intimidate me so I'm not scared to be aggressive and take hits because I know the hits will be super light. When I'm sparring with people who seem to be barely holding back ( or just straight up intimidate me ) it makes me end up turtling, because I know if I gently caress up it's going to knock my head back not just give me a tap on the nose. The silly thing is that when I do get tagged, it doesn't hurt.
This part of the game is all mental. Sometimes, getting destroyed and handily winning a round is just having enough mental strength to keep an edge through every exchange. Midway through the round, he'll be fading and you'll be recharging. That edge will help you recover faster and stay fresher.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005
All the big guys that punch really hard gas super fast too (at least in my experience), so if you're doing 1.5-2 minute rounds they'll gently caress you up, but if you're fit and are doing 3 minute rounds, you can make them pay at the back end. I'm 6' and 72kg, I spar with people who have 20kg on me and feel more confident fighting them towards the end of class than the other guy who's my weight and a little taller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KidDynamite posted:

Canada is weird. All the stupid fucks new guys at our gym do it throw big loopy hooks. Trying to get a straight punch out of them is like pulling teeth.

Hahaha you're saying they are throwing the "Hot Dog Stand Drop Hammer" :haw:

This is so funny I got a little excited so let me elobarate on the etomology (and the punch itself!). This curious name is a translation of the Finnish word "nakkikiskaheijari" which originates from the fact drunks at hot dog stands/night grills, a fixture of every Finnish urban center (where you usually have to fight someone when you try to purchase your extremely late night greasy snack after a long, long night out) just wing these wide looping right hands at each other and the word literally translates to "hot dog stand drop hammer".

Someone who trains can of course throw a punch sort of like, i.e. the swing in traditional boxing or say Savate (or "russian hook" in MMA circles) preferably as a counter (or just as a two hand assault like young Fedor Emelianenko) but unfortunately the typical newbie/drunkard Hot Dog Stand Drop Hammer is 1) not set up 2) is telegraphed from a mile away 3) and is, finally, slooow.

Actually, someone once tried to assault me with the HDSDH. Blocking or slipping it was so easy I was for once amazed even of myself and nobody was harmed during the incident.

Anyway your assesment of your new guys is pretty spot on.... But! When you get a little hang of normal straights, timing and defense, it can have it's uses as a counter-punch. A former boxer who once ranked #3 in his weight class here sometimes ate up a jab to his forehead just so he could use the right swing to punch over the jab and rock the guy. We were talking about it and he said he figured, sure, I might eat one stiff jab, but it's my forehead, and if the other guy had a nasty jab he'd lose his confidence on using it much after that happened. (I can see the potential of his tactic, but I can also see that the guy is a little "weird" these days from eating all those jabs...)

Lately when I instruct hand technique classes I sometimes have people throw 'em! 50% for the fun of it to lighten up the class and so they can say "hey mommy/gf, we were practicing hot dog stand drop hammers today!" and 50% because people who never knew they can punch hard suddenly realize they can. I've seen slightly built girls throw overhand swings that would drop a 220lbs drunk one shot. (I also tell people never to actually try it when sparring of course.)

• Locked thread