Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Man-Thing posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but somebody help me. With the keyword search tool in the OP, it talks about finding words with 1000+ searches and $1+ CPC... but I can't seem to find where the CPC is when I do a search for like, Video Games, I get the various related searches and can see and sort the unique clicks and local whatsits, but I cannot see anywhere where it lists the Costs per Click.

Can someone screengrab what I want to find? Here's what I'm staring at now: (click for big)

They changed the default search to "Ad Group." See where it says "Search?" Click "Keyword Ideas" right below it then you'll see it. I don't know why they changed it to that setting but they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

Man-Thing posted:

Maybe I'm dumb, but somebody help me. With the keyword search tool in the OP, it talks about finding words with 1000+ searches and $1+ CPC... but I can't seem to find where the CPC is when I do a search for like, Video Games, I get the various related searches and can see and sort the unique clicks and local whatsits, but I cannot see anywhere where it lists the Costs per Click.

Can someone screengrab what I want to find? Here's what I'm staring at now: (click for big)

Click the columns dropdown on the top right of the table and check CPC in the menu.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Also, don't put final and fantasy on separate lines. Your keyword is "final fantasy" so put that on one line. Where it says "one per line" means one keyword phrase per line, not individual words.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

jabro posted:

Also, don't put final and fantasy on separate lines. Your keyword is "final fantasy" so put that on one line. Where it says "one per line" means one keyword phrase per line, not individual words.

I'm not actually searching for final fantasy (that was a placeholder) but good to know that that's how search terms work.

EDIT for content/question: What's the upper bound of the number of local searches you're looking for in a target?

Man-Thing fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 8, 2012

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Man-Thing posted:

I'm not actually searching for final fantasy (that was a placeholder) but good to know that that's how search terms work.

EDIT for content/question: What's the upper bound of the number of local searches you're looking for in a target?

The site that makes me the most has 9900/month and low competition and depending on how much SEO I do, I rank 1-5.

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch
OK, I've mostly got everything good to go, all plugins installed and analytics going. I've even got an older blog of mine to pillage some content from (since deactivated and saved locally) to fill up the topic.

Amazingly, the twitter, tumblr, FB and G+ page names were all available, so I've got cross-promotion up the wazoo.

The only thing I'm not 100% on the tech of, is installing AdSense code in my site. Since it's a WP site, where is the code going? Is there a spot on the WP admin panel to edit raw HTML? (I can follow instructions on actually adding/editing, but actually knowing my way around WP is another story)

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Man-Thing posted:

OK, I've mostly got everything good to go, all plugins installed and analytics going. I've even got an older blog of mine to pillage some content from (since deactivated and saved locally) to fill up the topic.

Amazingly, the twitter, tumblr, FB and G+ page names were all available, so I've got cross-promotion up the wazoo.

The only thing I'm not 100% on the tech of, is installing AdSense code in my site. Since it's a WP site, where is the code going? Is there a spot on the WP admin panel to edit raw HTML? (I can follow instructions on actually adding/editing, but actually knowing my way around WP is another story)

There are plugins you can install just to paste the code, but you can just go to Appearance -> Editor -> then look for Header.php.

Search for this code:

code:
<head>
<meta charset="<?php bloginfo( 'charset' ); ?>" />
<title><?php woo_title(); ?></title>
<?php woo_meta(); ?>
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="<?php bloginfo( 'stylesheet_url' ); ?>" media="screen" />
<link rel="pingback" href="<?php bloginfo( 'pingback_url' ); ?>" />

<?php wp_head(); ?>
<?php woo_head(); ?>

</head>
and put it right before </head>.

Edit: You meant Adsense, not Analytics. Sorry.

For Adsense just put the code in to a widget and place it in the proper area.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Well, after changing my target keyword and my URL to https://justbrewbeer.com, I'm actually doing pretty good. I've gotten to page 4 of Google after starting at page 18, and I'm starting to see actual visitors from search results. I'm up to 100 unique visitors per month from about 15 or so, too, and I've gotten a couple of ad clicks.

Of course I still need to do more. A death in my family had put me behind on posting, but I'm going to try to post every day now. Also, the link building has worked, but I really need to get cracking on that, too.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and thanks for the thread.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Well, after changing my target keyword and my URL to https://justbrewbeer.com, I'm actually doing pretty good. I've gotten to page 4 of Google after starting at page 18, and I'm starting to see actual visitors from search results. I'm up to 100 unique visitors per month from about 15 or so, too, and I've gotten a couple of ad clicks.

Of course I still need to do more. A death in my family had put me behind on posting, but I'm going to try to post every day now. Also, the link building has worked, but I really need to get cracking on that, too.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and thanks for the thread.

Im curious, what keywords are you targeting/ranking for?

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008
So I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so let me know if I'm wrong.

I run a fairly successful pokemon tool online ( http://wyncorporation.com/pokemon ). It's pretty simple (only 2 pages) and I've been having trouble monetizing it. I am the first listed for "random pokemon generator" and top 3 for "pokemon generator." I have some amazon ads and a play-asia affiliate ad on the results page, but I honestly haven't made that much money for the traffic I'm pulling in. I get about 25k uniques per month, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions for what to do ad-wise?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Fluue posted:

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, so let me know if I'm wrong.

I run a fairly successful pokemon tool online ( http://wyncorporation.com/pokemon ). It's pretty simple (only 2 pages) and I've been having trouble monetizing it. I am the first listed for "random pokemon generator" and top 3 for "pokemon generator." I have some amazon ads and a play-asia affiliate ad on the results page, but I honestly haven't made that much money for the traffic I'm pulling in. I get about 25k uniques per month, if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions for what to do ad-wise?

Google Adsense.

Or you could look into a content locker. Where people have to complete some sort of enrollment before gaining access to your content. Like sign up for a trial of some service. But that would deter people away in a lot of cases although they do work in some forms.

I'd throw a text only type of ad at the very top. So it would look like
code:
link      link     link     link    link
and people may click them.

Then maybe another below the form and above the generate button?

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Im curious, what keywords are you targeting/ranking for?

how to brew beer

I understood that it's crowded when I started it but I'm enjoying it so far. Everyone has a homebrewing blog.

a bad enough dude
Jun 30, 2007

APPARENTLY NOT A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO STICK TO ONE THING AT A TIME WHETHER ITS PBPS OR A SHITTY BROWSER GAME THAT I BEG MONEY FOR AND RIPPED FROM TROPICO. ALSO I LET RETARDED UKRANIANS THAT CAN'T PROGRAM AND HAVE 2000 HOURS IN GARRY'S MOD RUN MY SHIT.
I've managed to get my site nearly on the front page of reddit, getting 7000+ views in a couple hours twice, but after it's all said and done I end up maintaining essentially none of them. Does anyone have any advice for grabbing some sort of growth from big, temporary explosions like that?

Interestingly enough even though some of my articles have gotten 300 facebook likes, those only attract a couple dozen unique users from facebook.

Here's my site for reference: http://geopoli.net/

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
$100 Adsense coupon up for grabs. PM me. My only stipulation is that you keep track of your stats and share if it converted or not once it's all done.

Monarchy
Apr 4, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

a bad enough dude posted:

I've managed to get my site nearly on the front page of reddit, getting 7000+ views in a couple hours twice, but after it's all said and done I end up maintaining essentially none of them. Does anyone have any advice for grabbing some sort of growth from big, temporary explosions like that?

Interestingly enough even though some of my articles have gotten 300 facebook likes, those only attract a couple dozen unique users from facebook.

Here's my site for reference: http://geopoli.net/

Where's your opt-in area? Invite people to subscribe to your site if they like the content. Do that on your sidebar and after your posts.

Don't say "Share This or don't", it reads cute and it stands out, but if you want someone to actually do something on your website, you need to say so very clearly. :)

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

So I decided to jump in and start my own site, https://quickiosgames.com.

I'm not looking to compete against toucharcade or slidetoplay, just a simple review site focused on games that you can play while killing some time. I've got about a dozen or so reviews up, I'm just wondering what I need to do next.

I've got a reporter friend that will mention the site on her Facebook feed, but I'm not sure if that will translate into a stable base of readers.

Any ideas?

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Fuck Jesus and Fuck Shoes!!
Started this up for the Boston community and got some good traction from Reddit and inviting people to like and subscribe on facebook, but wondering if anybody has suggestions on how to increase traffic? It's kind of died down to a slow stream (same as guy who had issue above)

http://www.bostontipster.com

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Waroen posted:

Started this up for the Boston community and got some good traction from Reddit and inviting people to like and subscribe on facebook, but wondering if anybody has suggestions on how to increase traffic? It's kind of died down to a slow stream (same as guy who had issue above)

http://www.bostontipster.com

Your metatags are empty, and each page should have a meaningful url.

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Your metatags are empty, and each page should have a meaningful url.

Whoops edited the meta stuff a few days ago to make it db driven and easily changeable and screwed up the php formatting. Should be in there now.

Looking into doing better urls but don't have much experience with it. Does it make a meaningful difference in crawling?

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
http://www.seomoz.org/beginners-guide-to-seo/basics-of-search-engine-friendly-design-and-development

has nicely packaged good information.

Waroen
Jun 23, 2006
Spent the day doing SEO friendly URLS on 90% of the website, at least all the dynamic stuff is covered so far.

So now it looks like this:

http://www.bostontipster.com/category/restaurants/
http://www.bostontipster.com/restaurants/32/great-cheap-unique-ice-cream-at-hidyan-cafe/

etc. Was a pain to code and get used to but definitely worthwhile.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
I just started a political blog. I figure that the subject is so overcrowded that there's probably no realistic way to ever monetize it, is that correct? I've started it out of personal interest (it's my passion and future career), so I won't be devastated if that's the case. Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

surf rock posted:

I just started a political blog. I figure that the subject is so overcrowded that there's probably no realistic way to ever monetize it, is that correct? I've started it out of personal interest (it's my passion and future career), so I won't be devastated if that's the case. Thanks!

You've got every major news network pouring millions of dollars into creating special political blogs/sections of their site this year, so yes, competition is pretty stiff.

That being said, writing for fun never seems like it's a grind unlike if you're strictly writing to generate traffic so keep doing it!

Man-Thing
Apr 29, 2011

Whatever knows fear
BURNS at the touch

surf rock posted:

See the above post. On the other hand, if you are at all interested in making an actual popular political blog, think local. You'd be surprised how far you can get with local city councilmen just going to the meetings and talking with them afterwards, and I guarantee anyone who searches for "Goontown Mayor" will see your blog before seeing MSNBC's blog.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

There isnt a youtube channel authors thread (or if there is I havent been able to find it)and Ive got a question that overlaps youtube/blogging/adwords.

Im very close to starting my main project for the summer of a youtube channel with video tutorials for a CAD program. Im planning on having a website for these as well running wordpress as a CMS and elaborating a bit more on the video techniques and general CAD/design news from around the world.

My question is if I use youtube to host the videos and embed them on the website, will google poo poo a brick for using adwords/sense with both the channel and the site? Since its effectively new money for old rope, in a sense.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't think so, especially if the containing pages are going to have new content. I haven't explicitly done it but it makes sense to me that they wouldn't care.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Man-Thing posted:

See the above post. On the other hand, if you are at all interested in making an actual popular political blog, think local. You'd be surprised how far you can get with local city councilmen just going to the meetings and talking with them afterwards, and I guarantee anyone who searches for "Goontown Mayor" will see your blog before seeing MSNBC's blog.

Thanks to you and FCKGW for the advice, I appreciate it. I'm sure you're right about this, but I'm bored stiff by local politics, so it's probably not an avenue I'll be taking in the near future. I'll think about it, though, thanks!

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
So I've been reading about website silo'ing and had something of an epiphany.

My URL structure sucks.

Like, it's clearly defined into index.com/category/post-name, but that doesn't tell search engines anything.

Looking at my competitors, I see that they all have my target keywords included in the URL structure

Say I'm going for "best commodore 64 games" (I'm not, but it's a good example)

My URL structure would be something like "commodore64.com/mystery/dick-tracy" while I'm competing against URLs with "commodoreheaven.com/best-commodore-mystery-games/dick-tracy" and losing, hard.

The thing is, how is this not keyword stuffing? Because if it's not, my link structure is about to significantly change.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

So I've been reading about website silo'ing and had something of an epiphany.

My URL structure sucks.

Like, it's clearly defined into index.com/category/post-name, but that doesn't tell search engines anything.

Looking at my competitors, I see that they all have my target keywords included in the URL structure

Say I'm going for "best commodore 64 games" (I'm not, but it's a good example)

My URL structure would be something like "commodore64.com/mystery/dick-tracy" while I'm competing against URLs with "commodoreheaven.com/best-commodore-mystery-games/dick-tracy" and losing, hard.

The thing is, how is this not keyword stuffing? Because if it's not, my link structure is about to significantly change.

Change it for sure. Keyword stuffing, afaik is adding them into an article far more than needed. There's no reason not to have your keywords in the URL of your pages.

Forbidden Kiss
Apr 28, 2004

Cavalier Eternel

Moniker posted:

They changed the default search to "Ad Group." See where it says "Search?" Click "Keyword Ideas" right below it then you'll see it. I don't know why they changed it to that setting but they did.

Did they change this again? I still can't find the CPC column/option.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Question: Is there any difference (other than the aesthetic) between your URL being myblog.wordpress.com and myblog.com? I have the first right now, and Wordpress is offering to convert me over to myblog.com for $18 per year. Are there any benefits? I can't tell if this transfer would mean that I'm self-hosting now, and would then need to go find a web host, as well? Is it possible to run ads (probably Adsense) on either set-up? Thanks, I really appreciate the help.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

That subject is covered really well in the OP.

No if you are hosted by Wordpress you can not run ads. Don't by a domain through them either, better off doing it when you register your hosting.

It's insanely easy to get up and running hosting your own WP blog as most hosting services have Fantastico that installs it for you.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

therealjon_ posted:

That subject is covered really well in the OP.

No if you are hosted by Wordpress you can not run ads. Don't by a domain through them either, better off doing it when you register your hosting.

It's insanely easy to get up and running hosting your own WP blog as most hosting services have Fantastico that installs it for you.

Sorry, I read the OP, but I'll admit that I'm not very technically-inclined, so I don't fully understand it. So, by doing the $18 a year conversion WP is offering, I'd be buying a domain from them, which you're saying I shouldn't do. So, just to be clear, I should buy my domain through NameCheap, find a host on SA Mart, and install Wordpress (using the download found here? http://wordpress.org/), if the hosting service I pick doesn't do it for me?

From what I can tell, this means that I would need to repost everything from my current blog on to the new one, right? So, I would lose the comments on my stories and my followers, and I would probably want to buy the "site redirect" feature from WP in order to bring visitors from the old site to my new site.

Is that all correct, or am I missing something? I swear that I'm not being intentionally dense, I'm just very new to all of this. Thank you for your help.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

surf rock posted:

Sorry, I read the OP, but I'll admit that I'm not very technically-inclined, so I don't fully understand it. So, by doing the $18 a year conversion WP is offering, I'd be buying a domain from them, which you're saying I shouldn't do. So, just to be clear, I should buy my domain through NameCheap, find a host on SA Mart, and install Wordpress (using the download found here? http://wordpress.org/), if the hosting service I pick doesn't do it for me?

From what I can tell, this means that I would need to repost everything from my current blog on to the new one, right? So, I would lose the comments on my stories and my followers, and I would probably want to buy the "site redirect" feature from WP in order to bring visitors from the old site to my new site.

Is that all correct, or am I missing something? I swear that I'm not being intentionally dense, I'm just very new to all of this. Thank you for your help.

You can export everything from your Wordpress.com account and import it to your hosted version. I did this for a friend a few weeks ago and it was very simple, everything carried over.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

DarthBlingBling posted:

You can export everything from your Wordpress.com account and import it to your hosted version. I did this for a friend a few weeks ago and it was very simple, everything carried over.

Ooh, okay, that's great. Thanks for the info!

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Anyone have any experience setting up a forum through wordpress? Any recommendations on plugins?

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Anyone have any experience setting up a forum through wordpress? Any recommendations on plugins?

I'm no expert but I would assume that the best thing to do would be to install a forum and find some sort of plugin that wold use the username/password fields from WP to register for the forum. Or to use the forum database to allow users to "sign in" to your blog. I don't think there is anything that allows you to install a forum from a plugin?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

There kind of is, with the bbpress plugin. It's a bitch to struggle with to get it how you want it though, at least it was for me.

I'd make a subdomain for the forum with a totally different wordpress install. If you set up a WPMU install, you can have global users log into both the main site and forum with the same login.

You can also set up a subdomain for your forum and use plain old vbulletin.

Aesop
Dec 25, 2005

Mr.Trifecta posted:

This was a couple years ago (3-4 actually, been a while) so things might have changed since then but when I tried to set up a forum through WordPress none of the plugins worked very well. Plus, none of the forum plugins were popular enough to have a decent community of people to help make them work.

We used phpbb I think, set it up at forum.mysite.com, and added links to the forum were appropriate. Nowadays I bet you could even pretty easily set up all of the WordPress accounts as users on whatever forum software you use if that is important to you. Good luck if you have to use a plugin, and let me know if you find a good one, but I would go with a dedicated forum software, and just link to it from your main site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Thanks for the tips. I think I will go for a dedicated forum software. Anything similar to enjin? Really like their forum layout and everything.

• Locked thread