Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

bucketmouse posted:

I remember there being a jailbreak map for original Starcraft, too. It didn't make sense then and it still doesn't make sense now.

Here's some more good gmod stuff along those lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1oXlvBWc3w

Even though I've seen it probably a dozen times now I still can't keep a straight face at the clip from 1:13 to 1:24.

NO ENGLISH. FREEEEEEEEEEENCH!

Holy poo poo this is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL

Almanac fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jan 14, 2013

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

The Fatalist posted:

Yes, we did create NAMBLA squad.

My friends and I did something similar in BF games, though we mostly did it just by existing. We made our clan tag [GAYPRIDE] and would name our squad GAYPRIDE in any games that allowed it (so we didn't do this in BC2, for example). We wouldn't do any overt trolling at all. No trash talking, no mic abuse, nothing. We'd just play, albeit in our particular way of being slanted toward having fun instead of being pro.

I tell you what, the most basic things take on an entirely different light to some people when Gay Pride is attached to it. Teabagging an oblivious sniper after knifing him became a flash point. Repeatedly killing someone who refused to seek different cover became Instant Argument - Just Add Water. Repeatedly reviving someone became an internet rape. And God help you if you have a sniper rifle and are anything resembling competent with it, because the 'compensating for something' insults would be just as awful and unclever as they were frequent.

When the pithy calls of every slur you can imagine started, we would simply egg them on by saying something like "Let's talk about man rear end instead." A lot of the time the server at large would realize we were being silly, type "lol", and the angry guy would be told to shut the gently caress up by half of his team.

Once in a great while, though, we would piss off 2-4 people on the opposing team AND take best squad, so not only did they have to deal with seeing "You were killed by [GAYPRIDE] Coolguy" or whatever they also had to deal with seeing "Best Squad: GAYPRIDE" in the interval. They'd dive straight in to bitching us out as people were spawning into the next round, which would often set the entire server on fire because nobody is caught up in the fight yet. Whiny marks would rage, 'play the game' types would counter-rage, occasionally there'd be an actual gay person in there who would get offended and then things were really off to the races. And in the inter-rim, GAYPRIDE would simply suggest a subject change to man rear end, hairy nutsacks, or gay bears while capping everything on the map and shooting a bunch of people who were too focused on typing to fight.

We would also occasionally sign on with the names "Battlepope", "War Jesus", "Saint Slaughter", etc, and form a squad called Clergy or Jihad. People seemed to perceive that as a joke much better, though, and while we had a few awesome situations where total strangers with thematic names would join ("A NUN WITH A GUN", "Deus Vult", etc), even on Christian servers where they will ban you for saying the word 'hell' people always thought it was either funny or awesome.

Infra
Feb 11, 2006
wreck'em tech, guns up
In Modern Warfare 2/3/4/5/whatever, you can add an attachment to your gun, the grenade launcher. An exploding grenade would typically instantly kill anyone it hit, but even better than that, it had to travel some distance before it would arm, and if you hit anyone with the actual projective (not just the explosion radius), you'd get a special "killed by" picture to designate you got hit by an unarmed grenade round.

Now, since it would 1-hit-kill, people would call it the "noob tube" because obviously, anyone using it had no skill. So of course my friends and I made a clan name [NOOBTUBE] and only used grenade launchers, with a particular emphasis on getting unarmed projectile kills.

Only we were terrible at the game and so I think we ended up griefing ourselves more than anything.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Holy poo poo I didn't realize that guy had more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfBR6OhPr8

Nobody skip this. This is what griefing is all about.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 14, 2012

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

bucketmouse posted:

The one thing I never get is why the hell doesn't the kid just leave the server?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Then he'd have lost! To that idiot!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

bucketmouse posted:

My brother works for Steam! He's gonna ban you!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BexGu posted:

The one thing I never get is why the hell doesn't the kid just leave the server?

Does not occur to him.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
Hell, he could probably just 'kill' or 'explode' in console which would respawn him outside that.

DrMelon
Oct 9, 2010

You can find me in the produce aisle of the hospital.

bucketmouse posted:

Hell, he could probably just 'kill' or 'explode' in console which would respawn him outside that.

I remember in the older days of GMod, it was possible to use the "alias" console command on connected clients to replace their disconnect, quit, and kill commands with ones that did nothing. Valve patched it out pretty quickly, but for a while it was amusing because people's disconnect button (which called the console command) would do nothing, and they were forced to remain in whatever state of grief they were in unless they used task manager to close the game.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Just gotta drop in and drop my still on-going favorite TF2 grief.

I think I posted it before, but its still relevant. If you play TF2 and take a stance for ANYTHING people get pissed, so of course I go extreme. I name all my main weapons that I have tags for "RELIGION IS FOR THE WEAK" so that of course causes a lot of rage, but no big deal. No, people get mad at me for being IOWA.

IOWA #1, IOWA STATE CYCLONES etc.etc. causes an unending amount of grief.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/jastiger

My spray is Iowa State, my tag is Iowa State, and all I have to do is say IOWA in chat and people flip out. I'm pretty good too so its doubly insulting for a competent player to be IOWA all the time. People get seriously mad about it going into all the reasons their state/school/team is better or some long diatribe about the merits of school versus games. It's great!

I encourage you to add me and join a game with me if you see me in TF2. Take up an opposing stance and watch the pubbie tears flow.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Infra posted:

Now, since it would 1-hit-kill, people would call it the "noob tube" because obviously, anyone using it had no skill. So of course my friends and I made a clan name [NOOBTUBE] and only used grenade launchers, with a particular emphasis on getting unarmed projectile kills.

Only we were terrible at the game and so I think we ended up griefing ourselves more than anything.

I played the recent Modern Warfare game in the recent free steam weekend, and my literal first kill of ever playing Modern Warfare 3 was a grenade launcher to the face on some level 50 guy, who IMMEDIATELY starts sperging out about it and saying "get some skill, free weekend noob", etc, etc. Being decent at shooters I ended up topping the score board which just made the man go berserk about how his team is being lovely that such a noob would top the charts. :colbert: I could never believe I could troll by just existing before.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 14, 2012

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer

bucketmouse posted:

:allears: I was going to post this when I saw Stgggs on the other page. This is priceless. :allears:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

bucketmouse posted:

I was trying to find this video, thanks!

Hello.

edit: there's also a Gmod video where the mom takes over the mic (not the one that was posted before), but I have no idea where to look.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
You should also check out I AM THE LAW for the mental breakdown.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCo0H1ykhxw

It's amazing how so little can generate so much spewing rage.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Oppenheimer posted:

Yeah those obstacle courses ruled. Also in warcraft there was a map of hostage negotiation and nobody would ever bargain for the hostages just run in killing all the badmen. One time I just gave them the money and people were PISSED. I ruined their Swat fantasy power and when the game restarted I played as the bad guys and executed all the hostages ending the game in 30 seconds. I got angry whispers for the rest of the evening.

There was vastly superior Jailbreak mod for Quake 2 which was kinda like team deathmatch crossed with capture the flag. Both teams had a base with a jail located deep inside. When someone was killed by the opposing team, they would respawn in the enemy team's jail. Once an entire team was imprisoned, the other side would win and the match would reset. There were usually two ways to free your teammates: the most obvious one being to fight your way into the enemy base and press the big, red "unlock the prison" button. The other way involved destroying some kind of generator or something which would then give your teammates the opportunity to free themselves. There was also usually some kind of vent that would require several players to make a crouch ladder so one could make their way inside and potentially free the others.This was infinitely better than the crappy .CS mod that exists today.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

bucketmouse posted:

For the love of God, Montressor!

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

bucketmouse posted:

It's not often that I actually "lol" at a video, but I did at this one. drat. Why the hell didn't he just leave the server? It's so moronic it seems orchestrated!

:supaburn: : AHH RETARDS AHHH

:downs: : Hello.

:supaburn: *indistinct screaming*

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Here is one of my favorite ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB8weUs_OSk

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

This is beautiful!

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Infra posted:

In Modern Warfare 2/3/4/5/whatever, you can add an attachment to your gun, the grenade launcher. An exploding grenade would typically instantly kill anyone it hit, but even better than that, it had to travel some distance before it would arm, and if you hit anyone with the actual projective (not just the explosion radius), you'd get a special "killed by" picture to designate you got hit by an unarmed grenade round.

People got loving infuriated about getting killed by an underbarrel grenade launcher. Bear in mind that in call of duty, for the most part, if someone gets the drop on you, you're dead. It takes on average about four bullets from any gun in the game to kill any other player. I mean, people rage unending about getting killed, by anything, and whatever gun you used is a terrible noob gun, but the grenade launcher attracts just a certain level of anger.

The best part was back in MW2 and certain levels of MW1 (Haven't really played since MW2), you could easily arc grenades cross map. MW1 was just certain maps had good spots where you could catch a bunch of people running out of the intial spawn or get shots into good camping spots, but MW2 had spots on every map where you could shoot that grenade launcher straight into the air and have it land on an objective or whatever. It also had a perk that allowed you to change class, at the cost of no secondary weapon and being helpless for up to like ninety seconds. But you could select the same class and just have more grenades. Two people could basically hold down any given objective, from across the map, by shooting grenades into the sky. To counter this 'mortaring' people often tried dogpiling objectives to capture them quicker. This often just gave one of the people mortaring four or five kills, because there was already a grenade in the air.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

bucketmouse posted:

Haha, normally I think griefing videos are pretty lame, but this is amazing. All he has to do is say "hello" and the kid goes mental. Awesome.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

robodex posted:

Haha, normally I think griefing videos are pretty lame, but this is amazing. All he has to do is say "hello" and the kid goes mental. Awesome.
My favorite bit is at the end when the kid gets calm for a bit and is like "my brother works for Steam, so, uh, have fun getting banned." Then there's a pause of maybe a second and the kid loses his poo poo.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

SpookyLizard posted:

The best part was back in MW2 and certain levels of MW1 (Haven't really played since MW2), you could easily arc grenades cross map.

I wonder if you can do this in Black Ops in Nuketown - the back yards are pretty open, and I bet if I arced a shot just right... hmmm, might try that tonight.

That reminded me though of something not griefy but pretty funny - my nephew plays a ton of blops, and he has a video he recorded of him throwing a random tomahawk in the air at the start of some map, I forget what. A few seconds later, it ended up killing a buddy of his. It was funny and they both laughed, but drat had that been done to some of the people I've played against, I bet it would've caused ear-splitting screams of rage.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.

FactsAreUseless posted:

My favorite bit is at the end when the kid gets calm for a bit and is like "my brother works for Steam, so, uh, have fun getting banned." Then there's a pause of maybe a second and the kid loses his poo poo.

That isn't calm, that is whiny as poo poo.
:downs: "Hello?"

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

This one is my favorite just because the kid gets his goddamn mother to talk to the griefers and then the griefers just mess with her as well. I'm also not sure, but she may have called the police about them while transmitting it over the server.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

It also had a perk that allowed you to change class, at the cost of no secondary weapon and being helpless for up to like ninety seconds. But you could select the same class and just have more grenades. Two people could basically hold down any given objective, from across the map, by shooting grenades into the sky. To counter this 'mortaring' people often tried dogpiling objectives to capture them quicker. This often just gave one of the people mortaring four or five kills, because there was already a grenade in the air.

The changing period was only five seconds. :D

I actually started doing that after reading the MW2 thread on these forums a couple years ago (in fact, here's a video from that thread showing just how effective this tactic is). A common way to exploit this was running Harriers (7)/Chopper Gunner (11)/Tactical Nuke (25). The numbers are the amount of kills you need in a row to get those killsteaks. The Tactical Nuke ends the game when you use it. Your team wins, no matter what.

I learned how to "Pro Pipe" (cross-map tubing, spawn tubes) and got a lot of tears. It helped that my MW2 name was "Tubes 4 Lyfe" because I'd get rage before the game even started. I wasn't able to record well at the time I played, but I did screenshot some of the anger I caused.

That last one is my favorite.

Now, in a few of the maps, there were ways to send a grenade into the other team's spawn area (or next to it) at the start of the match. Aside from getting a couple quick kills at the start of the game, this served another purpose. In the game mode Search & Destroy, players only have one life. If you die, you sit out until the next round. The objective is for a team to plant a bomb at one of two bombsites, while the other team defends. There were up to 6 players per side, and a well-placed grenade could kill four of them at the beginning. That's a loss for the other team. After that happening a couple times, they avoided going that way. No worries. I switched to my ultra-cheap camping strategy.

One Man Army (the perk that allows you to change classes), also refilled your equipment as well. Flashbangs, Stun Grenades, and Claymores. After tossing a couple pipes in the general direction of the enemy's spawn, I'd scurry off to a bombsite and plant a claymore covering a entrance. OMA, plant another one on a different door, and OMA again. Then I'd sit with my grenade launcher and wait for some poor fool to try and get in. Camping made people mad, because if you weren't running out into their guns, you were a noob. And this was hardcore camping.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
That's awesome. OMA seems somewhat overpowered in that sense, I never thought to use it that way. Fields of claymores~

Also, I never got the anger about camping. I mean spawncamping is stupid and lame, but if I just want to chill out somewhere and snipe people what's the harm? :colbert: I used to think it was funny back in my Quake 2 days when people's servers would bitch at you for camping if you stood still for like 3 seconds.

e. well I guess if you exploit a glitch and stuff your body into somewhere that's hard to hit you at and pick people off that's kinda lame too but if I just find a spot on the map and take shots at people don't hate on me cause you can't kill me

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jun 15, 2012

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cowman posted:

This one is my favorite just because the kid gets his goddamn mother to talk to the griefers and then the griefers just mess with her as well. I'm also not sure, but she may have called the police about them while transmitting it over the server.

Either her husband or the police at least, but judging by how she says there's a colored person in their family suggests it'd have to be the police.

And I don't think the police deals with this level of Internet harassment.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Code Jockey posted:

That's awesome. OMA seems somewhat overpowered in that sense, I never thought to use it that way. Fields of claymores~

Also, I never got the anger about camping. I mean spawncamping is stupid and lame, but if I just want to chill out somewhere and snipe people what's the harm? :colbert: I used to think it was funny back in my Quake 2 days when people's servers would bitch at you for camping if you stood still for like 3 seconds.

e. well I guess if you exploit a glitch and stuff your body into somewhere that's hard to hit you at and pick people off that's kinda lame too but if I just find a spot on the map and take shots at people don't hate on me cause you can't kill me

Because people like to constantly run around and shoot people. If you aren't running around too, they can't shoot you so they get really angry about it.

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.

Grawl posted:

I was trying to find this video, thanks!

Hello.

edit: there's also a Gmod video where the mom takes over the mic (not the one that was posted before), but I have no idea where to look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRzsUhpdhsY

Here it is.

Along the same lines as stggs, here's one of my favorite griefing videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qSWHSPz7jA

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Instinctively I should really dislike griefing of children to the point where they cry, but every time their parents subsequently get on I can't stop laughing.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

NEGOTIATIONS ARE OVER.

So simple, and yet I'm crying laughing here... thanks.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

greatn posted:

Instinctively I should really dislike griefing of children to the point where they cry, but every time their parents subsequently get on I can't stop laughing.

Yeah I just can't laugh at that. If they haven't hit puberty yet it's just not fair. Teenagers are obnoxious enough that it's forgivable. Plus they don't cry, they just descend ever further into apoplectic rage. All teens are such egomaniacs you just can't help it.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
gently caress the kids.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

tikan posted:

gently caress the kids.

I'm sure you would.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You were limited to two claymores and two C4 blocks at a time. Dropping a third one caused the first one to explode.

They changed (on the xbox version anyway) the way tubes worked in MW2 after a patch so they didn't explode until ~10seconds in the match. Maybe fifteen. Basically so you couldn't abuse S&D like that. It was better in COD4 cause they never did and there were a couple of maps where you could easily bomb the ONLY way out of the spawns with a bit of luck. Get lucky and you could just end the round in fifteen seconds. Spawn, run, shoot grenade, boom, round over.

The funny thing is though, a lot of COD's playerbase don't like running around and shooting people. They like sitting in one spot and shooting people who are running while being a MARINE FORCE RECON TACTICAL SNIPER or some bullshit. This is what like 90% of the people playing objective game mode players were like. They'd maybe camp an objective or some related spot, but mostly they stuck to their preferred spots and rarely moved the entire game. This inevitable led to basically any team working towards objectives winning. And pubbies don't like it when you point out that their 24:1 KDR doesn't matter because they just lost.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

TheSpiritFox posted:

Yeah I just can't laugh at that. If they haven't hit puberty yet it's just not fair. Teenagers are obnoxious enough that it's forgivable. Plus they don't cry, they just descend ever further into apoplectic rage. All teens are such egomaniacs you just can't help it.

You know that kid really didn't get killed right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

TheSpiritFox posted:

To be fair through, if a kid is so unbalanced/bratty that he gets THIS worked up over a videogame, the odds are pretty good that he flys off the handle over a lot more at home. I know videogames bring out the worst in people, but its not like being griefed is going to make a normally calm, collected kid suddenly start spewing racial slurs and foaming at the mouth. A kid who WILL get this worked up is usually kind bratty to begin with.

• Locked thread