Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UndashingOne
May 31, 2011
I just listened to this. It was surprisingly good. Later on today, Joe Parks should be on TNA Today with Jeremy Borash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've never seen anything about Joseph Park but that was pretty entertaining.

Edit: Saw Slammiversay - the interview is even funnier once you know all the background.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 14, 2012

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Best Figure Four Daily since Todd Martin examined the merits of the RD Evans lawsuit.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

That was great. Abyss is so good at playing that character.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
On the latest WOR, Dave gets all excited with "A FEW MORE HOURS OF YOUR BIRTHDAY?" to have Brian be like "that was yesterday, Dave." That was great.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 14, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Welp, life is over when you hit 48, thanks for the update Dave

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
"You only like 3 things Bryan: combat sports, money, and Bigfoot". I died.

The idea of Bryan and Vinnie spending 3 days out in the wilderness looking for Sasquatch fills me with so much joy

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
Bryan's stories coming back from this trip will be amazing. I await with anticipation.

I also love Lance Storm's rant in the final moments this week. Kids learning their wrestling vernacular from video games?!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Apparently Colt just posted an AOW with Gabe

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

triplexpac posted:

Apparently Colt just posted an AOW with Gabe

All I heard was Jimmy Bower :smith:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

TUS posted:

I always imagine Jimmy Bower as Gabe with a rainbow wig, Groucho Marx glasses, and a patch that says 'not Gabe Sapolsky'.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

TUS posted:

Strange, I heard Chris Lovey

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Is he bitter and annoying?

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs

LordPants posted:

Is he bitter and annoying?

Not really, aside from one comment about not watching ROH anymore. He talks a lot about ECW and learning from Paul Heyman. I though it was pretty interesting.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Lance Storm is officially a bitter old man of wrestling now (if he wasn't already). It's actually kind of funny.

CVagts fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 16, 2012

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I always look forward to Lance Storm's podcasts for that reason.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tarodia posted:

Not really, aside from one comment about not watching ROH anymore. He talks a lot about ECW and learning from Paul Heyman. I though it was pretty interesting.

Gabe's really friendly and approachable in person, so I'm glad it was that Gabe on AOW and not Internet nerdrage Gabe.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

Lance Storm is officially a bitter old man of wrestling now (if he wasn't already). It's actually kind of funny.

I have been extremely critical of Lance lately but his F4Ds have been awesome lately. He's back to really logical criticism of wrestling rather than steroid rants. Even if it's nitpicky, it is interesting to hear him go into depth on why he doesn't think things work.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Even though I love Lance and all his criticisms are valid, I can't help but think he would rather criticize than take any joy in anything.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Gabe interview was great, apart from the fact he insinuated he'd be able to challenge WWE if he had have been booking during the HDnet run. Which is all well and good, except we've seen for the past 30 years that putting on the best show on TV (ECW, MSW, SMW (for their region)) doesn't make you a huge promotion. Stars are what make a promotion, which ROH didn't have.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Especially considering HDNet is such a small channel.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LordPants posted:

The Gabe interview was great, apart from the fact he insinuated he'd be able to challenge WWE if he had have been booking during the HDnet run. Which is all well and good, except we've seen for the past 30 years that putting on the best show on TV (ECW, MSW, SMW (for their region)) doesn't make you a huge promotion. Stars are what make a promotion, which ROH didn't have.
I really don't buy that, because TNA had tons of hugely marketable stars, many of whom are and were household names, and their product sucked, so nothing happened. I'd argue that a good product makes its own stars. Samoa Joe was almost a star once, and Bobby Roode is on his way there. Yes, it's only with wrestling fans, but the same can be said of everybody since Rock. I mention Brock Lesnar in mixed company and nobody knows who the dude is and he was the biggest PVP draw on the planet for like, three years.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

LividLiquid posted:

Even though I love Lance and all his criticisms are valid, I can't help but think he would rather criticize than take any joy in anything.

Storm watched the most recent Impact yesterday and was somewhat posting on Twitter while doing it. He actually put it over pretty strongly, even the gauntlet match that he critiqued on the podcast. So I'd assume that for his next appearance he'll be praising TNA.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

I really don't buy that, because TNA had tons of hugely marketable stars, many of whom are and were household names, and their product sucked, so nothing happened. I'd argue that a good product makes its own stars. Samoa Joe was almost a star once, and Bobby Roode is on his way there. Yes, it's only with wrestling fans, but the same can be said of everybody since Rock. I mention Brock Lesnar in mixed company and nobody knows who the dude is and he was the biggest PVP draw on the planet for like, three years.

Well that's correct, and I never said that wasn't the case. But history has shown (ROH, MSW, ECW) that you don't become big without stars. You don't "make stars" out of thin air.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Vince: The guys getting over aren't what I thought would get over? This surely is evidence that my vision of what a star should be is the right thing.

Vince is a loving loon.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LordPants posted:

Well that's correct, and I never said that wasn't the case. But history has shown (ROH, MSW, ECW) that you don't become big without stars. You don't "make stars" out of thin air.
Sure you do. How else would you suggest a star is made?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

LordPants posted:

If you show guys doing poo poo that makes them look like stars, people will believe they are stars. See: Bobby Roooo giving a championship speech in front of the Houses of Parliament in the UK as a group of fans chanted "BOBBY". gently caress, the Impact guys can do just about anything in the UK and look like stars just because the fanbase here is rabid. Can't wait to actually be at the Wembley shows this year.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

njsykora posted:

If you show guys doing poo poo that makes them look like stars, people will believe they are stars. See: Bobby Roooo giving a championship speech in front of the Houses of Parliament in the UK as a group of fans chanted "BOBBY". gently caress, the Impact guys can do just about anything in the UK and look like stars just because the fanbase here is rabid. Can't wait to actually be at the Wembley shows this year.

How the gently caress did they film in front of the Houses of Parliament? Fairly sure that's illegal under anti terror laws and I do not believe that TNA has the forethought to get permission to film on that location.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

LividLiquid posted:

Sure you do. How else would you suggest a star is made?

Misawa beat Jumbo, Hunter beat Foley, Austin beat Michaels...

You don't have to even beat them (Sting) you just have to be seen on the same level as a real star. That, is why we have matches in the first place.

If you were correct, ECW would be drawing as much as WWF because their product was better in the mid 90s. But they didn't have anyone that anyone wanted to pay money to see.

How come WWF won in the 80s? Because they bought everyone's stars meaning that everyone that people wanted to buy to see was on a WWF show.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
ECW was able to develop stars pretty well, but they were badly undercapitalized and had lovely television.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I don't know why developing stars and Bobby Roode are coming up in the same sentence since to date TNA has failed at doing so. He's not becoming a star by any metric other than "guys on the internet like him." I dunno, maybe he suddenly will start turning it around in the 8th month of his title reign.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Something about Roode still hasnt connected with me. His new look does him absolutely no favors also. I don't think he's poo poo like I did in Mid 00's but still he just doesn't come off as a star.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

I don't know why developing stars and Bobby Roode are coming up in the same sentence since to date TNA has failed at doing so. He's not becoming a star by any metric other than "guys on the internet like him." I dunno, maybe he suddenly will start turning it around in the 8th month of his title reign.

TNA has only been good for like a month and a bit, dude. They keep it up and guys like Bobby Roode and James Storm will be stars by virtue of being what people are paying to see on PPV, which I'm willing to bet money will increase now that they're actually booking things as if they matter.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Gonzo McFee posted:

TNA has only been good for like a month and a bit, dude. They keep it up and guys like Bobby Roode and James Storm will be stars by virtue of being what people are paying to see on PPV, which I'm willing to bet money will increase now that they're actually booking things as if they matter.

Roode and Storm have both exposed too long as nothing guys on a nothing show to suddenly turn into major stars. That doesn't mean that TNA can't produce major stars eventually, they're just not going to be it unless some crazy poo poo happens.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Or people like me who have been conditioned not to give a poo poo about TNA can never see the guys they wasted for nearly a decade as stars because they have always been such geeks. Or Bobby Roode just isn't a star. Maybe it's like Meltzer says, he's an Arn Anderson type, not a Ric Flair type.

It's also not like TNA produced stars during its good period. They pushed Christian to the moon and he didn't draw and he had some name value.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Roode and Storm have both exposed too long as nothing guys on a nothing show to suddenly turn into major stars. That doesn't mean that TNA can't produce major stars eventually, they're just not going to be it unless some crazy poo poo happens.

I think they've been doing pretty well in the past few weeks and if they keep it up they'll get over as stars. I mean they had Hogan call Austin Aries pretty much the next big thing, they start jobbing out yesterday's stars like RVD and Bully Ray to them and you've got yourself a new generation of talent. And they really have to, since they need to be made stars because the already made stars like most of the TNA main event are past it and the "Young" guys like Jeff Hardy can't be trusted with that much responsibility.

Seriously, Jeff Hardy is like William Regal. Fantastic in their roles but any time they're called up the pressure gets to them and they relapse into their drug problems.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I'm guessing I'm the only one that thinks James Storm has more potential as a star out of the two?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

LordPants posted:

Misawa beat Jumbo, Hunter beat Foley, Austin beat Michaels...

You don't have to even beat them (Sting) you just have to be seen on the same level as a real star. That, is why we have matches in the first place.
So how was the first star made if he had no stars to beat?

quote:

If you were correct, ECW would be drawing as much as WWF because their product was better in the mid 90s. But they didn't have anyone that anyone wanted to pay money to see.
This is entirely moot as all of ECW's big stars left the company as soon as they got big enough to be recognized. Also, it's not what I said and you're extrapolating.

quote:

How come WWF won in the 80s? Because they bought everyone's stars meaning that everyone that people wanted to buy to see was on a WWF show.
And TNA has had tons of stars that people paid to see, but didn't because their product sucked. Bobby Roode is more of a star in TNA now than Kevin Nash ever was.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LividLiquid posted:

And TNA has had tons of stars that people paid to see, but didn't because their product sucked. Bobby Roode is more of a star in TNA now than Kevin Nash ever was.

By what metric? Nash did better ratings on Spike and drew better on PPV. That was basically ONE PPV, but when Nash was in main event storylines or big matches on TV TNA was doing better than it is now. You can say that wasn't because of Nash and it wasn't. You can say the low ratings now aren't Roode's fault and maybe they aren't (even though they have dipped closer to a 1.0 for most of this year) but you have no evidence of this.

As loving awful as the main event Mafia was and as lame as the Nash vs Foley feud was, the ratings were better then. On top of that even when TNA sucked if they put together a good month of build for a match (Joe vs Angle at Lockdown) business turned around for that. This didn't happen for Storm vs Roode.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I was almost sold on Roode until they gave him a Johnny Curtis starter kit after Lockdown.

• Locked thread