Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

mediaphage posted:

I'm not sure what you're looking to do, but it definitely has a sanitized, institutional feel (which could be cool, considering). The white coffee mug really blends too much into the wall. I like the white/yellow theme, though.

Pretty much this, but for me it is the eggs. If you want to make them stand out more without breaking the theme you could make the edges be a bit more crispy and brown. You can already see some outlining a bit because of it, but more would make it easier.

An alternative would be to sprinkle ground pepper on it. Black will still fit in and people can see the shape a bit better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pickman
Apr 27, 2008
Here are my first attempts at making common items of confectionery look artistic:

food_photography2 by Tom.Plk, on Flickr

food_photography1 by Tom.Plk, on Flickr

Any critiques are welcome, since I'm a beginner at this style of photography.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I think you might want to go in for a tighter shot, maybe to make it look more abstract.

Pickman
Apr 27, 2008

alkanphel posted:

I think you might want to go in for a tighter shot, maybe to make it look more abstract.

You mean focus in on the pile of sweets so that you can't see anything else? That's not a bad idea, I wish I thought of that in the first place.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Reichstag posted:

The theme is almost too simplistic. I'd like to see something that isn't JUST center composition with stark compositional contrast.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pickman posted:

You mean focus in on the pile of sweets so that you can't see anything else? That's not a bad idea, I wish I thought of that in the first place.
Yeah, well you'll have to experiment to see how close you should get because you might have a different final concept in mind.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Pickman posted:

Here are my first attempts at making common items of confectionery look artistic:

food_photography2 by Tom.Plk, on Flickr

food_photography1 by Tom.Plk, on Flickr

Any critiques are welcome, since I'm a beginner at this style of photography.

Buy a new plate to use (is that a cast iron lid?), since I find that distracting. Also, check your white balancing. I assume it's the same plate/lid in both pictures, but the color is pretty different.

Do something interesting with the candy. Don't just dump it on a plate and take a picture. Everyone has seen candy before. Make us see something different.

Pickman
Apr 27, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Buy a new plate to use (is that a cast iron lid?), since I find that distracting. Also, check your white balancing. I assume it's the same plate/lid in both pictures, but the color is pretty different.

No, it's not a cast iron lid, but point taken.

I was trying to be creative with the white balance. If I used the same settings that I used with the Galaxy bar, it would have looked too cold and a bit dull.

quote:

Do something interesting with the candy. Don't just dump it on a plate and take a picture. Everyone has seen candy before. Make us see something different.

Fair enough, I should have gone in for an abstract shot or something. I thought I was doing something interesting with the composition, but with hindsight I don't think it worked.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pickman posted:

I was trying to be creative with the white balance. If I used the same settings that I used with the Galaxy bar, it would have looked too cold and a bit dull.

The bar looks green, the candy seems far too yellow. White balance isn't really one of those things you want to be "creative" with. Adjust your colors elsewhere.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I am holding this thread hostage, if my demands are not met, there will be a fourth consecutive post, then a fifth. My demands are simple; the total and complete abolition of glamour-style food photography, and a craft beer.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Negotiations have broken down.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Not sure if I'm up to the task, but someone has to try and put an end to Reichstag's reign of terror.

Part of me wishes I kept the background white as well.

AIIAZNSK8ER
Dec 8, 2008

Where is your 24-70?

Reichstag posted:

I am holding this thread hostage, if my demands are not met, there will be a fourth consecutive post, then a fifth. My demands are simple; the total and complete abolition of glamour-style food photography, and a craft beer.

I'll take the challenge. In the meantime:

yumyum-0215 by AIIAZNSK8ER, on Flickr

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

Reichstag posted:

I love everything about what you're doing.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Charmmi posted:

I love everything about what you're doing.

You would.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I made some dinner. And took a snapshot.

Pasta by bgibb187, on Flickr

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

Here's some glamour I guess.

Food sits there so pretty :3:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Was making a simple noodle dish for lunch, so I decided to take photos of the process.

Ingredients by alkanphel, on Flickr

Vegetables by alkanphel, on Flickr

Chilli padi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Soup stock by alkanphel, on Flickr

Noodle by alkanphel, on Flickr

A simple noodle dish by alkanphel, on Flickr

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Particularly like that one. Nice.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I need a better lighting setup as sometimes it turns out a bit orange in crappy light, but, food is always fun to shoot.

Alkanphel, that Vegetables shot is just great.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Thanks corkskroo and Aramek! I like that first shot of yours Aramek, but I would crop off the top so as to make the viewer focus on the tomato sauce instead of the ladle. Maybe try a 4x5 crop?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man, I love those prep shots alkanphel.

I'm not particularly good with food but got a drink shot I like last night:

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
Good article on current trends in food photography and tips on how to achieve them: http://www.dessertsforbreakfast.com/2012/06/current-food-photography-styles-and.html

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Funny how they can come up with so many words to describe the same photo.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Reichstag posted:

Funny how they can come up with so many words to describe the same photo.

It reminds me of wine aficionados.

Also, can we discuss the ridiculousness of: ca{k, s}e study

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!

alkanphel posted:

Nooooodles!

Nice pictures! To me they are somewhat 'flashy' and could maybe use some fill light to even it out a bit - but nice colors and all, super crisp!

Shots from the private dining experience with Rasmus Kofoed that I was booked to cover. (Yes it is the winner of bocuse d'or and headchef of Geranium). All the pictures are on my blog.
https://www.christonnesen.blogspot.com

The Last supper! A dining experience created by 1st year culinary students!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

mdtyson
Jul 21, 2008

LAchristus posted:

Shots from the private dining experience with Rasmus Kofoed that I was booked to cover...

Beautiful shots, you captured the simple complexity of the dishes quite well. How did they taste?

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

LAchristus: lovely! The light is great

I have those speakers. I love how they freak out all the time when phones are near.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

mdtyson posted:

Beautiful shots, you captured the simple complexity of the dishes quite well. How did they taste?

They were super delicious, so clean in flavor profile! The shell on the 'razor clams' was actually some kind of filo dough that had been painted to imitate a real shell, so you could eat the whole thing! The best dish was the dessert though - made from beech. Beech jelly, beech granite, beech leaves and a creme anglais - yum!

LAchristus fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jul 2, 2012

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Bobx66 posted:

Good article on current trends in food photography and tips on how to achieve them: http://www.dessertsforbreakfast.com/2012/06/current-food-photography-styles-and.html

Maybe some of this could be addrd in the OP - really good read!

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Open-faced Pork Chop

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
Meats for the candyman.

Glistening, steaming, sweet meats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel