Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MEAT!
Mar 18, 2008

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Question: I have an intro video I would like critiqued for quality(i.e good encoding, frame rates,etc.), should I post it here, or maybe Tech Fort? The reason I only have the intro is I'm going to do the LP as blind as possible, so I haven't gone past the main menu.

Tech Fort for technical issues. This thread is for discussing the content of you LP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Shadowed Bacon posted:

Question: I have an intro video I would like critiqued for quality(i.e good encoding, frame rates,etc.), should I post it here, or maybe Tech Fort? The reason I only have the intro is I'm going to do the LP as blind as possible, so I haven't gone past the main menu.

Don't just post the opening, that's not really good enough to give advice about. Record something else (some other game) that's similar graphically to the game you're playing. You'll get better advice that way. Also like Meat said it should go in TSF.

Also a blind LP is a big risk, hope you know what you're doing. But I guess we'll get into that when you post it here.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

MEAT! posted:

That's sounds better in every way possible.

There's people who will hiss and spit that it's not the 'true' Lunar experience, but yeah, the PS1 ports are the definitive versions of the games.

Shadowed Bacon
Apr 28, 2009
Thanks for the input Proteus and Meat. After thinking about it some more I'll probably just bite bullet and record a few vids and make a full test post. If I need to remake them so be it.

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

Do not engage. Just tell me to go back to Kiwi Farms where I waste days upon days crying about how I wasted years upon years on SA. Did you know I was personally responsible for SA's rise in popularity in the 00's? It's true! Just come to the Farms and find out how! It's the trash kingdom I deserve.

Shadowed Bacon posted:

After thinking about it some more I'll probably just bite bullet and record a few vids and make a full test post. If I need to remake them so be it.

This is really the best option. Even if you're doing a blind run I still recommend you play at least the first level to familiarize yourself with the controls and stuff anyway. Nobody really wants to watch that.

Arthur D Wolfe
Sep 26, 2007

"Holy shit you are a
loathsome jerk, Arthur.
"

Proteus4994 posted:

This is really the best option. Even if you're doing a blind run I still recommend you play at least the first level to familiarize yourself with the controls and stuff anyway. Nobody really wants to watch that.
This is great advice and should be repeated every time the words "blind LP" come up. Being unfamiliar with the story is one thing (it can even work to your favour, check Jamesman's Yakuza LP), but if the first ten minutes of your opening video is you wrestling with the controls and/or basic game mechanics, few people will ever see minute eleven.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
I've been spending some quality vacation time catching up on LPs, as one does, and have been getting a few "Sorry, we're unable to play this video" errors from Blip on certain videos. For instance, Uncharted 2 episodes 15 and 16.

Googling led me to the recent Witcher thread where the same problem appeared immediately after PoorWeather uploaded a video and then mysteriously solved itself. That was about the only instance I found. Is this crap common and does it usually go away in due time? Blip itself doesn't have anything to say on the issue, far as I can tell.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that

Xerophyte posted:

I've been spending some quality vacation time catching up on LPs, as one does, and have been getting a few "Sorry, we're unable to play this video" errors from Blip on certain videos. For instance, Uncharted 2 episodes 15 and 16.

Googling led me to the recent Witcher thread where the same problem appeared immediately after PoorWeather uploaded a video and then mysteriously solved itself. That was about the only instance I found. Is this crap common and does it usually go away in due time? Blip itself doesn't have anything to say on the issue, far as I can tell.

This has happened with a few of my videos before after they've been up for a long time, and about half of the time it fixes itself after a day or two. There was one that I had to reupload because it refused to ever play. You can watch them on my my youtube mirror until I get this sorted out.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Xerophyte posted:

I've been getting these on the FFXIII videos for ages. For like, all of them.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Meis posted:

I've been getting these on the FFXIII videos for ages. For like, all of them.

That's because Pork Lift's Blip account got deleted. I re-upped the videos for them on an FTP at some point so they still exist. It doesn't have all the videos again yet but check this Youtube channel for the first 60 or so.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Any word regarding why his Blip is gone?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Probably the same reason why Simply Simon's is.

LP crackdown :clint:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Cymbal Monkey posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3315105&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=148#post402260453

In other words no, not really.

Bad! Poster
Jun 15, 2012
I am shit
I THINK THIS IS WHERE THIS GOES GOSH I HOPE IT IS

I've never actually found anything that records games in the quality I want and doesn't take up an entire hard drive so I thought I was a super genius for coming up with this idea that someone's probably already done

Instead of taking a bunch of short clips of a game and then editing them, or uploading them in multiple parts I streamed my game on Justin.tv which recorded it and then went and downloaded the video and put it on Youtube and it barely took up any space Here's an hour video of Fallout 3 for what it looks like. I used Xfire to stream and it's on the lowest quality because I'm stuck with a 1.5mb connection, but if you had a good connection and can stream on high it should end up looking pretty good

Here's a 2 minute video of Fuicade where I did the same thing but recorded it with Manycam for some reason. Every one I've shown it to hates it

Bad! Poster fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jun 16, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brad! posted:

This is not where this goes, you want the tech fort I assume. The sandcastle is for lp qa and critiquing.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Brad! posted:

I've never actually found anything that records games in the quality I want and doesn't take up an entire hard drive so I thought I was a super genius for coming up with this idea that someone's probably already done

Instead of taking a bunch of short clips of a game and then editing them, or uploading them in multiple parts I streamed my game on Justin.tv which recorded it and then went and downloaded the video and put it on Youtube and it barely took up any space Here's an hour video of Fallout 3 for what it looks like. I used Xfire to stream and it's on the lowest quality because I'm stuck with a 1.5mb connection, but if you had a good connection and can stream on high it should end up looking pretty good

Here's a 2 minute video of Fuicade where I did the same thing but recorded it with Manycam for some reason. Every one I've shown it to hates it
Good job on having absolutely horrible video and audio quality. If this is to setup some type of stream then you need to fix your audio and mic because you, and your guest, were pretty unintelligible. If this is a check to see if this is adequate video quality for an actual thread then I can definitely say no. First off, if you're worried about raw videos taking up too much space on your hard drive then you have two choices; either record less at a time or get a bigger hard drive. Sacrificing your video quality for the horribly artifacted mess that were either of these videos is not going to fly unless we've been magically transported back to 2007. Secondly, you really shouldn't be recording off a stream if you can technically just record straight off your computer; it's just not a good idea unless you're specifically trying to do something for the stream thread and even then people would probably want to not see such low quality video. I'd make some comment about your commentary being awful and meandering and saying you should use post commentary/not record live, but I couldn't hear most of it. So good job on wasting $10 so you could post this horrid mess?

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Edit: Ehh. Beaten, more or less :v: No point in saying the same stuff twice.

Look in to using FRAPS and getting some hard drive space for decent capture quality, though.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Brad! posted:

Assuming that this is a serious thing, that second video is completely worthless. The framerate is bad, you can barely make out the game, the sound quality is terrible, you have an interruption before you even get the game loaded and you left it in, not to mention that you left the goddamn watermark on. The first video is only slightly better because it's running at fullspeed and you can kinda make everything out.

dirtysammiches
Jun 14, 2010

Brad! posted:

Fallout

you really couldnt go one minute without making a rape joke

Bad! Poster
Jun 15, 2012
I am shit

Niggurath posted:

you, and your guest, were pretty unintelligible.
But I didn't have a guest?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Brad! posted:

But I didn't have a guest?
My bad; sorry it was hard to make out what was being said at all and I guess I was just hearing the lowered game audio. But you do know the rest of your video was really awful right? The choppy framerate, the low quality on the video, the fact that you didn't record in at least a 480 resolution (and that's being nice and not pointing out that you really should just be recording in an HD resolution). Also you seem to be fairly terrible at Fallout 3 and have very little to add commentary wise. I mean I'm glad you corrected me on that whole lack of guest thing, but you didn't seem to respond to the much more obvious problems with both of your videos or what the end intent is with the videos.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Brad! posted:

In a way it's kind of awesome to find someone that has such a lack of quality sense that these videos would look even remotely passable to them. I'm not really sure how you think other people put their LPs together, but it's usually not by "taking a bunch of short clips of a game and then editing them".
I love the fact that you don't get correlation between size of file and video quality (the rest of you know this isn't always true, but I'm being general as gently caress). If anything your video should have showed you that your method was not that of a super genius but rather that of a "insert insult here".

Proteus4994
Jan 2, 2001

I've never understood how it's so hard for some people to just look at a video and ask themselves "Does this look and sound as good as everything else in the LP forum?"

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Brad! posted:

gently caress

The good: It was bad enough that I didn't make it to the rape jokes the first time I tried to watch it.

The bad: gently caress you

Seriously though, are you trying to impress people in fyad by trolling lp? I don't get the angle here.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Brad! posted:

I don't get the joke, are you parodying bad LPs by posting a bad LP? Is this real? It must be, you're doing it for an entire hour...

Wait, are you giving this out as a "tip"? This isn't an LP you want evaluated? You just came to tell us this idea you had?

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 16, 2012

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

Brad! posted:

The audio quality is so bad I can't tell if you're recording it in game or if you're picking it up off your speakers with your mic. Hell, you were probably doing both.

Everyone's right, dude. How can you look at this and say people would enjoy it? No one would even be able to read or understand what anyone is saying. Even if this did look better streamed (I've used XFire once before, it does trash your quality a lot), it's still poo poo right now.

Do not mix streams and LP. The greatest looking streams are still the crappiest looking LPs. Streams are good if you just want to bullshit around with your friends or something, but LP's need a lot of effort to actually turn out good.

So in summary, stream it or LP it, don't just do it all in one video.

Quick edit: Don't use XFire, it was crap. Use Dyyno. It will let you stream from your PC or from your capture card and it usually looks pretty good. I've used it a lot and it works well. Cough up the cash and buy it or find some other way of getting it if you're cheap, but I use it often enough that I think it's good.

Bad! Poster
Jun 15, 2012
I am shit
I just wanted to dabble in Let's plays but I guess there is a higher quality standard than I was aware

Mezurya
Dec 31, 2011

That's how I do!

Brad! posted:

I just wanted to dabble in Let's plays but I guess there is a higher quality standard than I was aware

Look at this.

Now come on, you can't say it like that. The viewers literally can not see or hear what is going on. Even if your commentary is good, it would still be unwatchable. You just need to work more on it. Use Fraps and record some game footage (it won't drain your internet like XFire, it just relies on your computer), and then try again later. If you have a good computer it should be no problem getting some clear 720p footage.

As for the commentary itself, work on it I guess? I can't really give you any tips other than to lurk around and see what people here like, but it seems a lot of people didn't like what you posted.

Mezurya fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 16, 2012

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brad! posted:

If you'd bothered to lurk at all and watch the sandcastle's judgement on other let's plays, you might have had a clue.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Brad! posted:

That's an unfair thing to say. Your video quality is really lovely due to your zany rear end recording method and your solution to putting commentary on the audio is to just record yourself speaking over your computer's speakers.

Buy a hard drive with more than 20 GB free, get some headphones, record with fraps, route the game audio to the headphones so it doesn't pick up on your mic, record your commentary separately while you play (or do it in post if your computer chugs), mix it with the game audio with audacity.

Also, go here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3370185

You post in the quality evaluating thread, your quality is going to get evaluated.

Also, turn off god mode.

judge reinhold fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jun 16, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Brad! posted:

Yes the standard is called "able to be viewed".

This video is not able to be viewed. It is a monstrosity.

MellowHype
Jun 6, 2012

Oh how that plumber danced!

Brad! posted:

If I had to pick two particulars that were thorns in my side during the video, I'd have to go with your commentary, and frame-rate. Just let it all flow together. You don't have to try and be funny or witty. It's all a working process. Now with the frame-rate, maybe get a computer with higher connection, because that needs to be fixed first. I just can't believe how you could look back at that and think for one second, that it's ok to post that in the sandcastle. There's really nothing positive I can say about this monstrosity. You should lurk around a bit before you post. I'd say that if you don't relapse, then I'm guessing that this will be used as an example that others might use when teaching someone what not to do, when LPing.

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Brad! posted:

This is bullshit, you wanted to come in and make some lovely post probably thinking it's hysterical. Here's the thing, though, posting low quality videos and trying to make it look like a serious post by saying you were a genius to get quality this "good" for it is not funny.

There is no way a person who is not blind and deaf does not realize that these videos are terrible. Your videos are poo poo, you aren't funny, and within a day of making your account, everyone reading the Sandcastle has already realized that there is no reason to look at any link you may put up in the future.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

thevoiceofdog posted:

The good: It was bad enough that I didn't make it to the rape jokes the first time I tried to watch it.

He eventually goes on to say he doesn't have "the courage" to commit hate crimes in real life, and that if his car gets broken into, he'd know who to blame.

So yea definitely improves as the video goes on.

Bad! Poster
Jun 15, 2012
I am shit

Brassherald posted:

This is bullshit, you wanted to come in and make some lovely post probably thinking it's hysterical. Here's the thing, though, posting low quality videos and trying to make it look like a serious post by saying you were a genius to get quality this "good" for it is not funny.

There is no way a person who is not blind and deaf does not realize that these videos are terrible. Your videos are poo poo, you aren't funny, and within a day of making your account, everyone reading the Sandcastle has already realized that there is no reason to look at any link you may put up in the future.

Not really, my experience with Lets Plays was people who capture in what ever way thet can and then make funny narrations. Sometimes the crudeness of recording adds to the entertainment. The only others id seen are of kids who put a camera on their TV

But yes, I should have looked harder at what the standards for videos on this forum were first

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Brad! posted:

Not really, my experience with Lets Plays was people who capture in what ever way thet can and then make funny narrations. Sometimes the crudeness of recording adds to the entertainment. The only others id seen are of kids who put a camera on their TV

But yes, I should have looked harder at what the standards for videos on this forum were first

That's not a good thing at all. Seriously, did you lurk at all before wasting your money? Congratulations of trolling the sandcastle now :frogout:

Brainamp fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 16, 2012

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.

An email I just got posted:

Im sorry but you want to purchase FORUM (something awful) rights?
cant I just email you my you tube playlist?
Or is this part of the system where this $10 gets paid to you for me submitting an LP?

The game's up folks. I'm sorry, I've been getting a cut of all LP-related :10bux:.

edit: follow up

quote:

Ok thank you for providing me with the information. I just read that the LP needs to be fully complete. (which mine is not yet) and I'm not a cheapass IMO, but something inside me is saying that spending money to register is shady. Unless you can tell me where to sign up for free, I thank you for your time. Forums usually get funded by advertisements.

baldurk fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 16, 2012

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

baldurk posted:

The game's up folks. I'm sorry, I've been getting a cut of all LP-related :10bux:.

Good to see that he shelled out his $15 anyway!

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
I mean... was his youtube play list any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brassherald
Feb 3, 2012

Wait, I'm the one who calls people buttheads!

Brad! posted:

The only others id seen are of kids who put a camera on their TV

So, you are saying you've never seen this forum before and still decided to spend ten dollars to register?

:frogout:

• Locked thread