Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Yeah my card shipped but my computer hasn't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Daric posted:

I'm getting a $100 Apple Giftcard with my laptop purchase. This is my first Apple product ever. Anything "must have" I should spend that money on?
Keep in mind the sandboxing requirement coming up (or passed?). One of the apps I use, Moom, can't work under the current rules so apparently the devs can't update the App Store version anymore. On the plus side they figured out a way to transition people from the App Store version to their regular shareware version easily and for free.

...other devs may not be as nice though.

I guess do a little research before buying, if a dev is running into sandboxing issues hopefully they mention it on their site/blog or in the app description itself.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

japtor posted:

Keep in mind the sandboxing requirement coming up (or passed?). One of the apps I use, Moom, can't work under the current rules so apparently the devs can't update the App Store version anymore. On the plus side they figured out a way to transition people from the App Store version to their regular shareware version easily and for free.

...other devs may not be as nice though.

I guess do a little research before buying, if a dev is running into sandboxing issues hopefully they mention it on their site/blog or in the app description itself.

I'll probably just use to to pay for 1/3rd of Final Cut Pro if there's nothing else really amazing that I just have to have

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

El Duke Silver posted:

They generally take a little bit longer to process IME. You'll get the card, not a credit tied to the account. Go into your account, check the order status. You should have a separate status for the card.

So it's possible to sell the gift card? I always just sold the iPod touch because I didn't need it and imaged it was an additional discount.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, huge thank you for mentioning Moom. I just bought it and already it's one of the most satisfying $5 I've ever spent.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Daric posted:

Yeah my card shipped but my computer hasn't

How did you find this? Because I just checked my order number from the email, and I see something for the auto-enroll in Applecare, but I didn't see anything on the gift card.

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

El Duke Silver posted:

Coda 2 for web development is highly recommended, if you're doing any of that, and it's currently $25 off. $75

I tried coda2 and it didn't win me back, I still prefer to use Sublime Text 2 .. I also find Dreamweaver CS6 way to bulky for what i need it for.

Also if you're like me, going between work and home with your laptop, and connecting to shared drives, then i recommend Controlplane

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Wow, huge thank you for mentioning Moom. I just bought it and already it's one of the most satisfying $5 I've ever spent.
It should be in the OP! There's a Window Management section with pretty much every other one I've heard of, but no Moom.

ManyTricks' stuff in general is nice, in particular I like Name Mangler for renaming files and Witch for window switching (basically like the regular app switcher, but for every window).

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Mr Man posted:

I tried coda2 and it didn't win me back, I still prefer to use Sublime Text 2 .. I also find Dreamweaver CS6 way to bulky for what i need it for.

Also if you're like me, going between work and home with your laptop, and connecting to shared drives, then i recommend Controlplane

I prefer ST2 for standard programming stuff, but Coda 2 for web. But honestly ST2 never was "lacking" for me and if it wasn't for the all in one interface of C2 I'd probably stick with it exclusively. C2 is just nicer for quick stuff, though.

eames
May 9, 2009

I just updated to the latest nightly of Launchbar and it now has complete 1Password integration. sooo nice.

cmd-space, type first few letters of website, it loads and logs me in automatically. :holy:

Launchbar is really underrated in my opinion. It used to be a must-have but that kind of died down when Spotlight was released. People don’t realize that LB is sooo much more than spotlight.
The looks I get from my colleagues when I send them a resized picture of something within 3 seconds and without taking the hands off my keyboard are priceless. "Are you some kind of wizard?" :D

eames fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 15, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

El Duke Silver posted:

1password is currently $40, so it depends on how much you want it, but it's pretty much the #1 recommended app for a password companion around here, for good reason. It goes on sale every now and then though, generally at 50% off.

I know 1Password is good, because I here it all the time, but what's good about it? Does it work crossplatform? Is there a way to not have to be annoyed to death typing passwords on the touch when the password is stong?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

eames posted:

I just updated to the latest nightly of Launchbar and it now has complete 1Password integration. sooo nice.

cmd-space, type first few letters of website, it loads and logs me in automatically. :holy:

Launchbar is really underrated in my opinion. It used to be a must-have but that kind of died down when Spotlight was released. People don’t realize that LB is sooo much more than spotlight.
The looks I get from my colleagues when I send them a resized picture of something within 3 seconds and without taking the hands off my keyboard are priceless. "Are you some kind of wizard?" :D

For a different reason (when typing Japanese Spotlight, Quickilver, and GSB all require the romaji input to be resolved before launching, and LaunchBar grabs the text before the IME does so it is immediate, instead of a two step process), I have always paid for and used LaunchBar.

But because all I use it for is an app/doc launcher, I am clearly missing out.

So how to I resize something in three seconds? Or any other tricks?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

eames posted:

How does Launchbar compare to QuickSilver or Alfred? This seems to be quite a crowded space.

On the topic of great apps, I highly recommend Fantastical. The UI is so fantastic and it actually makes me want to put entries into my calendar (for years I've had inexplainable inertia and reluctance to doing this).

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Lexicon posted:

On the topic of great apps, I highly recommend Fantastical. The UI is so fantastic and it actually makes me want to put entries into my calendar (for years I've had inexplainable inertia and reluctance to doing this).

It is unbelievably great for that, and glancing at calendar stuff, but you really have to run it alongside another calendar app. Fortunately, it's designed to complement both iCal and BusyCal.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I'm currently having a crisis about whether to switch from a ThinkPad to an MBP:TNG for school, but I'm stuck on the fact that I can't live without Microsoft OneNote. I don't believe it has an OS X port, nor am I seeing any information about an official port yet to come. In fact, since "Please port OneNote" has been asked for about ten years and it hasn't been, I doubt I can assume it will.

So here's what I like about OneNote:
  • Folders/Tabs/Pages/Subpages organization
  • Quick formatting for some moderately complex things (lists and outlines, tables)
  • Autocorrect for symbol shorthand
  • Outlook integration
  • Time-synced audio recording
  • Asynchronous page sync, even when offline
  • Usable on all my machines.
I currently store all my OneNote stuff on a network share with local caching. Being able to access it even when offline is important, and efficient sync when I VPN back home is equally important.

I've done a little Googling, and it looks like the big OS X options are Evernote or (different is scary), run OneNote under Parallels or Fusion (battery life issues maybe?), or dump all my .ones on SkyDrive and use a webapp (battery life? Misses features for sure), or any of a number of lesser-known apps like Growly Notes, Circusponies Notebook, or Curio (besides all their differences, there's no cross-platform support).

I like that Curio does mindmaps... it actually looks really nice, except that the intro video makes it look gaudy and unprofessional. But the Evernote sync is only one way, so it retains the cross-platform problem.

So what's the dealy-o, yo? How much would Parallels kill my battery life? Has anyone successfully transitioned out of OneNote who can give feedback or advice? Did I miss a trick here?

Also, does anyone know off the top of their head if Domain log-in is fixed yet? I imagine that almost none of my GPOs would work, but I don't use that many anyway.

Thanks and suchlike.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

cbirdsong posted:

It is unbelievably great for that, and glancing at calendar stuff, but you really have to run it alongside another calendar app. Fortunately, it's designed to complement both iCal and BusyCal.

Yeah... I just use it to shunt entries into Google Calendar via iCal.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Has anyone ever had trouble pairing a Sixaxis PS3 controller in Lion? I'm on 10.7.4, and when I plug it in via USB the lights flash, unplug it and hit the home button to pair to bluetooth, it asks for a passcode (which is supposed to be 0000), and then the lights just keep flashing while it shows up connected in the bluetooth menu. It still doesn't work after that, and after a few seconds it will disappear from the bluetooth menu, try to ask for the password a few more times, and eventually it just stops asking/stops showing up in the menu.

This is pretty frustrating, especially since all the Google results parrot the same incorrect answers. It was asked earler in this thread too but the problem solved itself for him.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007

Factory Factory posted:

• Quick formatting for some moderately complex things (lists and outlines, tables)
  • Outlook integration

Evernote is fantastic for gathering information and basic organization and basic note-taking, but its note-taking abilities are lackluster compared to the flexibility of OneNote. OneNote is above and beyond Evernote for school work and such. I think the best recommendation from Mac folks will be to run windows in a VM and OneNote through that. There really is no alternative, from what I've read throughout this forum.

That said, I suggest giving Evernote a try just for its web clipper extension. I love that loving thing and has given me a new appreciation for Evernote. But for heavy-duty work? OneNote.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Has anyone ever had trouble pairing a Sixaxis PS3 controller in Lion? I'm on 10.7.4, and when I plug it in via USB the lights flash, unplug it and hit the home button to pair to bluetooth, it asks for a passcode (which is supposed to be 0000), and then the lights just keep flashing while it shows up connected in the bluetooth menu. It still doesn't work after that, and after a few seconds it will disappear from the bluetooth menu, try to ask for the password a few more times, and eventually it just stops asking/stops showing up in the menu.

This is pretty frustrating, especially since all the Google results parrot the same incorrect answers. It was asked earler in this thread too but the problem solved itself for him.

It's a huge pain in the rear end but I was able to get it done with Bastion (but not Portal 2) on my 13" 2011 MBA.

There is a YouTube video which has the process that worked but long story short unless you do a workaround by going to BT preferences and adding the controller to favorites and update services, Lion will forget the pairing every time.

If the video or guide you google has those two extra steps (add to favorites, update services) then it's legit. I did it but then re-paired the controller with my PS3 and haven't tried it again don't know how well it works outside of short term.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I just got a 2011 Macbook Pro (13' , i5 Processor) today and I am still messing around with it. I did purchase it as an open item from Best Buy. Now because someone already registered it I can't download iLife. I know that there is a process for getting iLife for buying used Macbooks. Can someone tell me how to do it?

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

I'm currently having a crisis about whether to switch from a ThinkPad to an MBP:TNG for school, but I'm stuck on the fact that I can't live without Microsoft OneNote. I don't believe it has an OS X port, nor am I seeing any information about an official port yet to come. In fact, since "Please port OneNote" has been asked for about ten years and it hasn't been, I doubt I can assume it will.

• Outlook integration

I've searched and tried for a long while to replace Onenote in some form.
The Onenote replacement I have found is GrowlyNotes:
http://growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html

The issue I have with it is that it is not CrossPlatform. It does export reasonably well. I specifically wanted something to work with Ipad as well.

I tried CircusPonies - the iPad app was terrible. It doesn't handle the images well and is not as flexible. Lost a fair chunk of change on the Desktop and iPad versions of this.

I tried Curio for a while - mindmapping and freeform notetaking is cool, but again this isn't cross platform and seemed to be a better brainstorming application.

I wanted something that would allow me to import PDFs or PPT documents and write near them, and Curio didn't do that as well or smoothly as Circus Ponies did.

I also demoed Pear, which does a great job at taking notes and syncing audio but not much else.
Again this also isn't cross platform.

In my opinion, Evernote is great for organizing and clipping things around the internet. IE if I'm working on something, I can clip all my research in there. Or if I'm taking a Test soon, I can clip questions I need to review later on - or concepts from different pages.

For me, I think I will probably stick to Evernote and use Google Docs -- I know the latter sounds weird but I like being able to import select images and write notes around them.
Google Docs has become more flexible with doing this -- and I can organize things well.
That's my thought for now, I'm sure this will evolve more.

Evernote is more of a 'store everything' reference wise, rather than the greatest notetaking system ever.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Growly's export doesn't look like it does one thing I absolutely need, which is be able to access my notes on my desktop (a PC) both regularly and in case of Critical Laptop Failure (dropped, stolen, or otherwise borked). Even if I were to Hackintosh or replace it with a Mac, it seems like sync would rely rather unrobustly on DropBox, SpiderOak, or an unsupported jimmying of iCloud.

I'm not sure I'm not-paranoid enough to accept that.

Kalix
May 8, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Growly's export doesn't look like it does one thing I absolutely need, which is be able to access my notes on my desktop (a PC) both regularly and in case of Critical Laptop Failure (dropped, stolen, or otherwise borked). Even if I were to Hackintosh or replace it with a Mac, it seems like sync would rely rather unrobustly on DropBox, SpiderOak, or an unsupported jimmying of iCloud.

Yeah -- I can fully understand that.
This is how I used to use onenote 5 or 6 years ago and the results were merely Ok.

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

Scienter posted:

It's a huge pain in the rear end but I was able to get it done with Bastion (but not Portal 2) on my 13" 2011 MBA.

There is a YouTube video which has the process that worked but long story short unless you do a workaround by going to BT preferences and adding the controller to favorites and update services, Lion will forget the pairing every time.

If the video or guide you google has those two extra steps (add to favorites, update services) then it's legit. I did it but then re-paired the controller with my PS3 and haven't tried it again don't know how well it works outside of short term.

Those specific instructions helped me find the vid you were talking about. Pretty strange that you have to go through an obscure ritual like that to get it to stick, and mine still flashes the whole time it's being used, but it works now. Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

BigRed0427 posted:

So I just got a 2011 Macbook Pro (13' , i5 Processor) today and I am still messing around with it. I did purchase it as an open item from Best Buy. Now because someone already registered it I can't download iLife. I know that there is a process for getting iLife for buying used Macbooks. Can someone tell me how to do it?

Re-install a fresh copy of the OS using Internet restore

x-virge
May 25, 2003

tofes posted:

edit: Probably another dumb question, I figured out how to enable tap to drag but there is an annoying delay after I remove my finger from the pad before the window "disengages," is there any way to disable this?

There's a delay so you can clutch the drag. If there were no delay, you'd only ever be able to drag as far as you can move your finger in a single motion. Change it to "with Drag Lock" to require a second tap to finish the drag (as already mentioned).

Alternatively, try Three finger drag from the regular trackpad preference pane. Three finger drag also has a delay for clutching, but because it's a different finger combination it can be a bit smarter.

Under normal use it has a delay (just like tap drag, for clutching). If you tap your pointer finger at the end, it will complete immediately (like drag lock). If you lift three fingers, then start another gesture (one finger point, two finger scroll), three finger drag will complete immediately.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Kalix posted:

I've searched and tried for a long while to replace Onenote in some form.
The Onenote replacement I have found is GrowlyNotes:
http://growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html
Evernote is more of a 'store everything' reference wise, rather than the greatest notetaking system ever.

I've never actually used One Note, but it sounded like exatcly what I wanted for an all electronic lab notebook. I settled on One Note, since syncing between my phone and mac was pretty much the number one requirement, even over usability. It's formatting abilities are pretty basic, but it syncs well. I'm pretty happy with it, and since my new lab has no cell service I'm tempted to upgrade to premium for offline use. Either that or set up a rouge Wifi network against IT's rules, which is probably a bad idea.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

kapalama posted:

I know 1Password is good, because I here it all the time, but what's good about it? Does it work crossplatform? Is there a way to not have to be annoyed to death typing passwords on the touch when the password is stong?

there's an iOS client, if that's what you're asking about. You have a few options for syncing your database, which is always encrypted, and you can have more than just passwords stored as well. So if you need to generate a strong password on the go, you can do it on your iPhone, and then it will sync to your Mac/iPad/etc without any hassle. iOS client isn't free, though, I think it's $15 for the universal and $10 for the iPhone only, if they're still even doing the split.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have recently discovered Swinsian.

It is an absolutely excellent media player.

I've tried:
iTunes + Fluke
Enqueue
Sonora
Clementine
Vox
Miro
Ecoute

And this is far better than all of those. Only Enqueue comes close.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Pixelmator looks like it got a price cut to $14.99. I've been wanting to get it for a while now since I'm too cheap and poor to buy Photoshop. Is it worth it?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Macintosh posted:

Pixelmator looks like it got a price cut to $14.99. I've been wanting to get it for a while now since I'm too cheap and poor to buy Photoshop. Is it worth it?

I like Pixelmator a lot, but I don't have a professional need for anything with more capabilities. It's pretty user-friendly and works well, even on my 2010 MacBook Air. At $14.99, I think it's a steal.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Macintosh posted:

Well worth it.

eames
May 9, 2009

kapalama posted:

For a different reason (when typing Japanese Spotlight, Quickilver, and GSB all require the romaji input to be resolved before launching, and LaunchBar grabs the text before the IME does so it is immediate, instead of a two step process), I have always paid for and used LaunchBar.

But because all I use it for is an app/doc launcher, I am clearly missing out.

So how to I resize something in three seconds? Or any other tricks?

There are two basic functions that really made Launchbar an essential program for me.

First: When you mark a file in the Finder and hold command-Space (or whatever your LB shortcut is), Launchbar will choose that file for you and wait for actions. This also works within a few apps like iPhoto.

Second: Once a file is selected in LB, you can press tab to perform actions on it.

In this case:

• click any image in iPhoto or on the Desktop
  • hold down your LB shortcut (in my case command-space) until LB pops up
  • type "res"
  • hit enter (50% is my default because I use it all the time)
  • press tab
  • type first name of email recipient if he’s in your contacts
  • enter
  • shift-cmd-D to send from Mail.app

The above workflow also works with multiple images in a folder, you can simply hold cmd-space on the folder, press right arrow, command-A, type "resize50", hit enter, etc.

Or flip, resize and rotate and send an image by chaining the steps with with tab:
Mark a file in the Finder/iPhoto/whatever, hold command space, type "resize33", enter, tab, type "rotatel", enter, tab, "fliph", enter, tab, type the name of the email recipient, enter

To upload via Transmit: click a file, hold cmd-space, type "trans", choose "Upload file in Transmit".

To shorten an URL: mark the whole URL in the address bar of this thread, press cmd-space, type "copytiny", press enter and you have the shortened URL of this thread in your clipboard.

To search wikipedia: cmd-space to open LB, type "wiki", press space, type what you are looking for, press enter. You can make custom templates for other sites that aren’t included, it’s really easy.

To manage your clipboard: cmd-space to open LB, type "clipb", press right-arrow, there it is.

To move files: click a folder on your desktop, hold cmd-space, tab, type destination folder ("docu" for ~/Documents, etc), press enter and either 1 to copy or 2 to move it there.

Some (or most) of these may sound confusing, but once I got used to the LB workflow, it completely changed the way I use my mac. I could go on and on with these examples and those are just the built-in functions excluding custom scripts and automator functions.

Lexicon posted:

How does Launchbar compare to QuickSilver or Alfred? This seems to be quite a crowded space.

Honestly… no idea. I have no experience with the other two apps.
I’ve used Launchbar since it’s very beginnings as Version 3.0 on Cheetah and feel seriously crippled whenever I have to use a mac that doesn’t have it installed. I thought Quicksilver is dead (looks like it is open source now?).

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Factory Factory posted:

I've been using OneNote synced to SkyDrive through a Windows VM for note-taking (which also allows it to be synced to my work PC) and unfortunately, I really haven't found anything that does everything that it does as well. Evernote is sort of alright for basic note-taking but I find it's lacking some of the more advanced stuff OneNote has

One thing to remember is that if you do end up syncing your OneNote notebooks to SkyDrive, you can open them on either an iPhone or iPad using the official MS OneNote app. Of course, this means that you have to use SkyDrive.

Hopefully they'll include it in the next version of Mac Office.

amishpurple
Jul 21, 2006

I'm not insane, I'm just not user-friendly!

Factory Factory posted:

OneNote & Domain join

Honestly give the SkyDrive route a chance. It's worked for me so far and if for some reason I don't have internet access when I need to take notes I just put them in a text file temporarily and add them to OneNote later. There is also a OneNote app for Android, iPhone/iPad, and Windows phone now so you can have access to your notebook everywhere. You can also load up a VM with Fusion or Parallels and have access to the full blown app if you really need/want it. It will put some drain on the battery though (maybe only use it plugged in?).

For AD joining on your Mac look into Centrify. We have licenses at work and you can use it to apply Group Policy to Macs. I think the free version will just basically allow you to join.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Martytoof posted:

This post introduced me to Moom, and, curious, I checked it out. Then I, too, spent $5 and am extremely pleased right now. So I guess I'm seconding the thanking of the original posters as well as Martytoof.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

iCal is opening by itself every time I get an invite from someone. This really has to stop, but I have no idea how to tell it not to. There doesn't seem to be an option to stop this behavior; all I see are cloud push options and I still want my phone to sync normally. Anyone figure this out?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

lord funk posted:

iCal is opening by itself every time I get an invite from someone. This really has to stop, but I have no idea how to tell it not to. There doesn't seem to be an option to stop this behavior; all I see are cloud push options and I still want my phone to sync normally. Anyone figure this out?

iCal > Preferences > Advanced > Automatically retrieve CalDAV invitations from Mail?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So I am looking for a good remote screen share type program for our Macs at work. Currently we do it all ghetto... we have machines on Snow Leopard, and thanks to Chax we are able to get employees to login to their work stations through iChat by having an Auto Accept Screen Share feature turned on. The problem is... this doesn't always work because sometimes iChat just doesn't want to connect. But the issue we are having now is that new machines that have Lion installed on it are not compatible with this older iChat pluggin.

Would Apple Remote Desktop be a good alternative to this? I need a good solution that will work with Lion, and the description has stuff like "No more house calls!" Implying it works over the internet.

I guess as some background info, it's a small company of about 8 people, 5 of which actually use the remote log in capabilities. We all have admin rights to our machines, so security is not so much an issue. Programs like LogMeIn are reliable, but so far I have not seen anything that beats the seamlessness of the iChat Pluggin we use in terms of it moving fast enough where it feels like you are actually using your computer. And on top of that, we are having one of our employees working remotely starting next week, and I would love to have a way to administer his work computer from our home office.

Any advice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

1997 posted:

iCal > Preferences > Advanced > Automatically retrieve CalDAV invitations from Mail?

It's not checked. :(

Edit: okay, maybe 'turn off all alerts' will work.