Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

davidHalestorm posted:

You gotta give them points for being dramatic, though. Each of them got some pretty purple lines to say before you stabbed 'em

The music that kicked in when they started talking was pretty boss, too. Was that theme ever used for anything else in the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lyer posted:

Is the story really that terrible? Granted my standards for rpg plots isn't very high, I liked Amalur well enough. Loot comes early and often right?

The story is pointless for a majority of the game and isn't very well-presented, but it gets really cool at the end and I think the whole sequence in the last fourth or so of the game is very well-done, but that's just my opinion and I know a lot of other people didn't like it for one reason or another. But I really loved the conclusion and actually unironically enjoy the rest of the story as a result. However, it's not going to make you care about almost any characters besides you and your main pawn really, and the setting for the most part is also hard to care about.

It's quite mixed, but in general if you're playing this game for anything but the action/something pretty closely related to the action, you're going to be disappointed.

Loot is extremely rare, at least in terms of equipment and such. Usually you just get lots of materials or consumables, but some chests do have equipment and it really makes it feel valuable when you get it. It's basically the opposite of the Diablo-style thousands of identical pants loot setup. In general you get most of your equipment from stores, which also makes gold feel quite valuable.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel like I have been a rank 9 sorcerer forever. Rank 10 has the ability that reduces casting time, right? That's what I want. Also two other questions:

- does the ranger quick draw augment apply to magic bows?
- the augment that reduces your encumberence, that's assassin right?
Yes
No (at least, I don't think so)
Do you mean the one that allows you to carry additional weight? That's a mid-level Fighter Augment.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Also, there are only nine ranks to a vocation. Simple mistake, really. Who bothers to count all those dots?

Samurai Sanders posted:

The last one said something like "I think you'll find me a whole new class of challenge" right before getting high miasma, arrows, fireballs and a big-rear end sword to the face all at once.

In fact, I expected a fight with him and all the guys from before all at once, that would have been a hell of a fight, but it was just him. No single human-sized enemy no matter how powerful can be that much of a threat in this game if you have a full party of four.

Yeah, by the time I found Zero, uh, I killed him in one hit.

The initial encounter with Salomet was similiar.

The second was not. :stare:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Nahxela posted:

Yes
Do you mean the one that allows you to carry additional weight? That's a mid-level Fighter Augment.
Thanks. And I guess I mean rank 8 sorcerer, I just counted and there are only nine seals.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
On the topic of Salomet, I would like to point out how LotR he seems to be. A wizard who was once on the side of "good" turns to the evil side in order to gain more power. In the process, he acquires a super powerful ring and you fight him on top of a giant tower, after battling through hordes of his lackeys, which include reanimated corpses.

I am a fan of the references in this game.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
I just maxed the strider vocation at level 22 and am not sure where I want to go from here. It's the only vocation I've played so far and all the other ones sound so cool. Is it a bad idea to become a hybrid class if I haven't played as their base vocations to get their skills?

Also my main pawn almost had the fighter vocation maxed but I decided I wanted my own mage to customize how I see fit. Did I gently caress myself over by keeping him as a fighter for so long before switching? I feel like I wasted a lot of time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Go with what you like. Assassin seems to be king for killer move sets, and some very gimmicky augments. Magic Archer has a very broad and fun toolset. Those might be appealing to you coming out of Strider.

Kagon
Jan 25, 2005

Gumball Dad posted:

I just maxed the strider vocation at level 22 and am not sure where I want to go from here. It's the only vocation I've played so far and all the other ones sound so cool. Is it a bad idea to become a hybrid class if I haven't played as their base vocations to get their skills?

I went from strider to assassin since I planned to keep on using daggers and got to keep most of the skills (sadly not implicate). It doesn't really matter if you haven't gotten the base skills for swords from fighter really- you can keep using your short bow/dagger skills until you get the discipline to buy the swords ones if you're wanting to switch. Gouge/Dire Gouge is one of the best sword skills, and it's assassin only anyways, so it's no big deal.

quote:

Also my main pawn almost had the fighter vocation maxed but I decided I wanted my own mage to customize how I see fit. Did I gently caress myself over by keeping him as a fighter for so long before switching? I feel like I wasted a lot of time.

No, you'll be perfectly fine. Your mage will feel a bit weak at first probably, but after a few levels, you'll be fine. The only way you could potentially mess things up is spending up to level 100 as warrior and switching to mage or something like that, but the game's really not difficult enough that you'll end up gimping yourself.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Samurai Sanders posted:

In fact, I expected a fight with him and all the guys from before all at once, that would have been a hell of a fight,

I love to think they used to be the same actors who did the enemies in old robot anime, attacking Earth the glorious land of Japan one per episode instead of all together.

Also, the white hawk armor?
Nice reference you have got there, Capcom :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx0vhpG3lLc
http://dragonsdogma.wikia.com/wiki/White_Hawk_Armor

e: Scratch that, I just learned that it's still a reference from Berserk.

vvvv yeah :/ vvvv

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 15, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Um, unless you're referring to a different suit of white bird armor than I'm thinking of, it's an explicit reference to this guy:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Just finished the game for the first time and I'm not sure what the gently caress. Can anyone explain what happened after you plunge the Godsbane into yourself?

Also, what's different in the NG+ ending?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Nahxela posted:

Yes
There's another one for Assassin (or maybe strider, but I think assassin) which gives you an additional "notch" of weight, so you can effectively stay at very light until you're like 75% weighted down, if you're already small sized.

The Welper
Nov 27, 2007
Don't... Touch... The Case.
I am late to this thread, and I had not really heard of this game. I actually looked into it based on the 'That Moment when...' thread talking about when you first discovered just how good a game might be.

Dyatlov Bass posted:

This is definitely the "Demons/Dark Souls fans eat your hearts out" phase of the game.

This quote... That's the one that I was hunting for to find if I would buy this game without searching for much more in the way of spoiler videos or screens.

I want the whole experience as 'new' as possible visually, but finding that it is even comparable to Demon's Souls / Dark Souls is what I needed to hear.

Buying this weekend. :ese: Rolling something stabby.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

coyo7e posted:

There's another one for Assassin (or maybe strider, but I think assassin) which gives you an additional "notch" of weight, so you can effectively stay at very light until you're like 75% weighted down, if you're already small sized.

Strider gets an augment at rank 9 that makes you one weight class lower than you actually are, ie. if your encumbrance is 'light' then you still move around and use stamina as though it's 'very light'.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The Welper posted:

I want the whole experience as 'new' as possible visually, but finding that it is even comparable to Demon's Souls / Dark Souls is what I needed to hear.

It's not, really. It can get difficult to the point of feeling like them in the instance you mentioned, but the pacing and gameplay are entirely different. I am a fan of Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and Dragon's Dogma pretty equally though so they're definitely not mutually exclusive.

quote:

Just finished the game for the first time and I'm not sure what the gently caress. Can anyone explain what happened after you plunge the Godsbane into yourself?

I suppose it's sort of up for interpretation, but I think the Arisen breaks the cycle of chaos/pointlessly destroyed and futilely rebuilt worlds by becoming god and then killing herself. Then she gives her identity/soul to her pawn as a last gift.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Policenaut, do you want to know what's the best thing that will loving happen this year on the Monster Hunter front?

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/15/dragons-dogma-sold-just-92000-copies-in-the-u-s-upon-release/

It's loving Sven mobbed and kicked out from the company by angry japanese men wielding katanas and kendo swords and being replaced with someone more competent.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
In "farewell, Valmiro", does Valmiro only appear at certain times of the day or something? This is the first time I have had a problem with NPCs disappearing so far, like some people in the thread were talking about.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

limaCAT posted:

Policenaut, do you want to know what's the best thing that will loving happen this year on the Monster Hunter front?

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/06/15/dragons-dogma-sold-just-92000-copies-in-the-u-s-upon-release/

It's loving Sven mobbed and kicked out from the company by angry japanese men wielding katanas and kendo swords and being replaced with someone more competent.

The idea that this game which was supposedly made to appeal to western audiences is selling massively better in Japan is pretty funny in sort of a sad way. :911:

e: Also it seems to have outsold both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in Japan. Huh.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

In "farewell, Valmiro", does Valmiro only appear at certain times of the day or something? This is the first time I have had a problem with NPCs disappearing so far, like some people in the thread were talking about.
He stood in the same spot the entire time for me (at least, in the morning), which was up on that cliff overlooking the beach on the path up to Your House.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

The idea that this game which was supposedly made to appeal to western audiences is selling massively better in Japan is pretty funny in sort of a sad way. :911:

e: Also it seems to have outsold both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls in Japan. Huh.

Well, it is a new IP from a company who has little to no good will left with all their shady DLC fiascos. I do hop we get a sequel, however. The potential for something really special is there.

What kind of stuff do you guys want to see in the sequel? Myself, the usual more of everything and a player-owned stronghold that you can upgrade like in Neverwinter Nights 2. I just loved that part of the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

gibbed posted:

He stood in the same spot the entire time for me (at least, in the morning), which was up on that cliff overlooking the beach on the path up to Your House.
Yeah, he was standing there when I took the quest from him, here's how it went down:

I arrived in Cassardis to grab that witness for the trial
I ran into Valmiro and took his quest (but didn't switch to it as my tracked quest)
I continued to Gran Soren to drop off the witness (the end of the trial is still a day away)
Having dropped him off I switched to Valmiro's quest, but there is no red mark.
Arriving in Cassarids, sure enough he isn't there.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.

Jimbot posted:

What kind of stuff do you guys want to see in the sequel? Myself, the usual more of everything and a player-owned stronghold that you can upgrade like in Neverwinter Nights 2. I just loved that part of the game.

I want a god drat Sea Monster. Kracken, Sea Serpent, anything! Also maybe some new classes. I'm not sure what, but maybe something crazy. Maybe also multiple endings would be nice. And no romance. Please Capcom, we don't want none of that.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Dogbutt posted:

I want a god drat Sea Monster. Kracken, Sea Serpent, anything! Also maybe some new classes. I'm not sure what, but maybe something crazy. Maybe also multiple endings would be nice. And no romance. Please Capcom, we don't want none of that.
If we are talking new classes I'd love to see a Mage/Strider hybrid that focuses on melee and speed instead of the walking tin can that is the Mystic Knight. I'm not sure why but it seems that when game developers think of a magic/melee hybrid they always go for the old armoured caster approach.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

92,000 in five days, thats... I have no idea what that is

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Sylphosaurus posted:

If we are talking new classes I'd love to see a Mage/Strider hybrid that focuses on melee and speed instead of the walking tin can that is the Mystic Knight. I'm not sure why but it seems that when game developers think of a magic/melee hybrid they always go for the old armoured caster approach.

Er, you mean Mage/Fighter? Magick Archer is the Mage/Strider hybrid.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dogbutt posted:

And no romance. Please Capcom, we don't want none of that.

No way. This game has the best romances of any game yet.
If you can't end up accidentally gay married to the innkeeper it just wouldn't be Dragon's Dogma. :colbert:

Speaking of this game's exemplary romances: every time I do Arousing Suspicion it gets funnier. Aelinore for Best Crazy Girlfriend in an RPG 2012

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Cbouncerrun posted:

Er, you mean Mage/Fighter? Magick Archer is the Mage/Strider hybrid.

I think what they mean is like a lighter, faster Mystic Knight. So like the dagger skills from Magic Archer, only more of them.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Sylphosaurus posted:

It's pretty easy to understand, really: When people think of magic users in video games, the common stereotype is a frail character who sucks at literally everything. lovely speed, attack, defenses, hp, but if you get close to them they will gently caress up your day because they are only good for one thing, and that's magic.

Magic Knight is the age-old compromise that's been around in tons of games, like Red Mages in Final Fantasy. They take one major complaint of mages (they're too flimsy, a few solid hits will take them out so you end up babysitting them) and fix it by mixing it with a fighter. Hey, suddenly you have a character that can't hit things quite as well as a normal fighter or ruin people's days like a regular mage, but it's still a complete monster in its own right because it can do two jobs all by itself.

There was never a magician/thief combo because gameplay-wise it wouldn't change as much in those older turn based games. You'd be combining a class that sucks at everything except magic and a class that sucks at everything except speed, now you get a class that has exactly the same flaws as before. The trade-off of being faster wouldn't be enough to convince people to use it since their magic would still be nerfed anyway for not being a pure caster.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 16, 2012

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Cbouncerrun posted:

Also, what's different in the NG+ ending?

Did you continue the game after defeating the dragon, or did you just plunge the godsbane into yourself?

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009
Quick Question about the quest "The Conspirators" I went into soulflayer canyon and went to the red area where the letter should be. When the Gargoyle attacked I hit it with an arrow and it went limp and fell off the canyon and died. Now I can't find the letter anywhere although the marker is still there, was the gargoyle carrying the letter, or am I missing something.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

I really, really, really want Capcom to release a REAL NG+ I want to fight those bandits tooth and nail like I did at level 15 but when I'm level 70. Also, I want my pawn to have a french accent like Mercedes and Julian.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Primetime posted:

Quick Question about the quest "The Conspirators" I went into soulflayer canyon and went to the red area where the letter should be. When the Gargoyle attacked I hit it with an arrow and it went limp and fell off the canyon and died. Now I can't find the letter anywhere although the marker is still there, was the gargoyle carrying the letter, or am I missing something.

edit: gently caress I should learn to read. No, it should be on the platform, near the rim

Dyatlov Bass
Apr 16, 2012

by Fistgrrl

Primetime posted:

Where you kill the gargoyle, it's actually on another platform close by, that you have to cross the canyon, do some spelunking, cross a tiny-rear end bridge guarded by a cyclops (save if you don't want to lose pawns from getting sent flying off), and then make your way to where the parcel is.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Mercedes posted:

I really, really, really want Capcom to release a REAL NG+ I want to fight those bandits tooth and nail like I did at level 15 but when I'm level 70. Also, I want my pawn to have a french accent like Mercedes and Julian.

No those accents are the worst thing you monster.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

RentACop posted:

edit: gently caress I should learn to read. No, it should be on the platform, near the rim

Dyatlov Bass posted:

Where you kill the gargoyle, it's actually on another platform close by, that you have to cross the canyon, do some spelunking, cross a tiny-rear end bridge guarded by a cyclops (save if you don't want to lose pawns from getting sent flying off), and then make your way to where the parcel is.

Thanks guys. I ended up consulting a youtube video because I still could not find it after clearing out the entire canyon. Turns out I was hugging the wrong wall every time I slid down the waterfalls. :downs:

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Bakalakadaka posted:

I will fight you! Say those accents are terrible. I dare you. :argh:

You know what's weirdly fun? Ever since I'm all super strong enemies don't really present a challenge so when it's just my pawn and myself and there's a fight, I don't do anything. I stand there like a helpless escort and let her destroy poo poo. It's like pokemon!

vvvvv Bah, PSN.

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 16, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yay, finally maxed out mage and sorcerer and got the last of the magic augments I wanted, now to focus entirely on the two hybrid classes.

edit: also I found Valmiro, he was standing on a slightly different hill than I remembered. I don't have the pilgrim's whatever thing that he wants though, and the only person who sells it is in the dungeon (but apparently not the one I have access to?)

edit: Queenie, and my PSN name is SamuraiSanders. She's cross-training as a strider right now but her main occupation is warrior.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jun 16, 2012

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bakalakadaka posted:

Mercedes' voice is the hottest thing since nuclear fusion.

Pity she turns all "Waah I'm completely useless" later in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

Dusk is so drat pretty. Holy poo poo.

• Locked thread