Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Lord Chumley posted:

You know that kid really didn't get killed right?

What?

What part of what I posted made you think I thought a kid died during a troll?

What part of the troll could have possibly given me the idea that a kid died?

Boru posted:

To be fair through, if a kid is so unbalanced/bratty that he gets THIS worked up over a videogame, the odds are pretty good that he flys off the handle over a lot more at home. I know videogames bring out the worst in people, but its not like being griefed is going to make a normally calm, collected kid suddenly start spewing racial slurs and foaming at the mouth. A kid who WILL get this worked up is usually kind bratty to begin with.

This is like saying that it's alright to torment the mentally ill because you didn't drive them crazy if they already are. He's a bratty kid to me still parses as "he's a kid" and thus "I have an incredibly unfair manipulative advantage over this person such that riling them up is like punching a parapalegic" and I think it's just kinda lovely.

I mean I used to get off on tormenting the weak and helpless in Eve online but at least those people are adults who really should know better than to run an untanked hulk or to hand 3 billion in assets to a complete stranger because they said they'd do something cool for you. An 11 year old is just helpless, that's not fun.

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

TheSpiritFox posted:

What?

What part of what I posted made you think I thought a kid died during a troll?

What part of the troll could have possibly given me the idea that a kid died?

The part at the end of the video (where the kid's grandfather gets on the mic)where it said "shortly after, his grandfather had killed him" or something along those lines and then a website for ending child abuse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You really believe that someone would post a video online in which a man kills his own grandson?

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20

Cojawfee posted:

You really believe that someone would post a video online in which a man kills his own grandson?

Yes, absolutely.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

JfishPirate posted:

Along the same lines as stggs, here's one of my favorite griefing videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qSWHSPz7jA

Maybe this makes me a bad person, but people screaming homophobic slurs and other abuse in broken English makes me giggle.

"One day I find your mother slut and I rape her."
"Motherfucker human being bitch!"

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I never said I believed it.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

TheSpiritFox posted:

This is like saying that it's alright to torment the mentally ill because you didn't drive them crazy if they already are. He's a bratty kid to me still parses as "he's a kid" and thus "I have an incredibly unfair manipulative advantage over this person such that riling them up is like punching a parapalegic" and I think it's just kinda lovely.

I mean I used to get off on tormenting the weak and helpless in Eve online but at least those people are adults who really should know better than to run an untanked hulk or to hand 3 billion in assets to a complete stranger because they said they'd do something cool for you. An 11 year old is just helpless, that's not fun.

As we are in the "griefing thread" I thought the implication was that everyone was fair game? Anyway my intention was just to point out that the types of kids who get pissed off at games are typically the kids who get pissed off doing ANYTHING. That's to say that even if they weren't being griefed, there's a good chance they would be getting pissed off at something else anyway in the game: camping; using shotguns; taking 'their stuff', etc etc.

Now I'm not sure that this *justifies* griefing them, but it's this attitude that makes them your basic mark to grief based on their overbearing reactions. Some kids will just take it all in stride, and some will just disconnect: it's not like ALL kids have hair triggers and no self control.

In terms of "is it fair," well griefing is inherently unfair and I thought that's what made it funny? If no one got mad at greifers what would be the point?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Children who play games online have to accept that they're going to end up facing adult competition. They can either deal with it, or cry over it and then get taunted for crying too.

This isn't softball at the family picnic. Junior doesn't get to swing until he gets a hit, and we've got no reason to give a gently caress if someone picks on him. It would be the parents job to watch out for their kids, not the community at large.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
THE INTERNET IS A DOG-EAT-DOG WORLD :madmax:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Jesus Christ, four years on and my thread is still going.

bucketmouse posted:

Holy poo poo I didn't realize that guy had more videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkfBR6OhPr8

Nobody skip this. This is what griefing is all about.

I happened to be listening to Guns N Roses' song Patience when I loaded this up. How appropriate. Funny way to annoy that kid. If he didn't leave it was probably "his" server or something stupid like that.

xf86enodev
Mar 27, 2010

dis catte!

Zaodai posted:

Children who play games online have to accept that they're going to end up facing adult competition. They can either deal with it, or cry over it and then get taunted for crying too.

This isn't softball at the family picnic. Junior doesn't get to swing until he gets a hit, and we've got no reason to give a gently caress if someone picks on him. It would be the parents job to watch out for their kids, not the community at large.

Hahaha, is this a seriouspost? It's amazing when this thread brings the real sociopaths out.

No, making a kid cry is not griefing, you fucks.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

xf86enodev posted:

No, making a kid cry is not griefing, you fucks.

By definition it would be, but I can understand if your moral outrage blinds you to reality.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Yea I really don't get why you'd want to make a child cry, it's a really weak move going after the lowest common denominator. It's taking candy from a baby.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Zaodai posted:

By definition it would be, but I can understand if your moral outrage blinds you to reality.

Y'know what else causes people grief? Murdering their families. Serial killers are the best griefers :allears:

Edit: this post is literally 100% super-serious.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
The best griefing stories are the ones where the griefers show creativity in finding ways to break the game and trick other players, I think. Whether or not that kid is a brat, a grown-up managing to upset a kid just doesn't imply a whole lot of creativity or effort is involved in the grief, so the grifer comes across as an uninspired jerk.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Griefing Discussion Thread - Making kids cry over a videogame is literally the same as being a serial killer.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

7u880y posted:

The best griefing stories are the ones where the griefers show creativity in finding ways to break the game and trick other players, I think. Whether or not that kid is a brat, a grown-up managing to upset a kid just doesn't imply a whole lot of creativity or effort is involved in the grief, so the grifer comes across as an uninspired jerk.

A funny jerk, though.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

7u880y posted:

Yeah, but unfortunately there are no ground rules to the thread so the funny poo poo gets mixed with 'I tormented a nine year old on the internet' all the time. Just skim past and bear it, it's not going to change.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

My brother owns Something Awful and if you guys don't stop discussing your opinions and start posting more griefing stories he will loving ban you. So yeah enjoy your ban and stuff.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I like to think there's more to it than just making kids cry. It's griefing, but it's not really that funny.

There was a similar video where they convince a kid to put his sister on, then the convince the sister to smack the kid. now that one was funny.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Kids can be legit targets in a technical sense I suppose.

But it's like setting the game to ultra easy. Lazy and mean, like the the thief who steals a few notes from a senile person as opposed to the dude that heists the armoured transport full of mafia money.

When I see people griefing kids, like in that Gmod grandpa one, I feel sorry for the kid but for the griefer nothing. Not laughter, not 'oh thats so cool', if there is anything at all its shame on their behalf. A form of trolls remorse I guess but the only people that should be griefing kids is other kids. Not us big kids.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sleekly posted:

But it's like setting the game to ultra easy.

code:
I'm Too Young To Be Griefed
Hey, Not Too Harsh
Troll Me Plenty
Ultra-Griefing
NIGHTMARE!
If you think about it in the sense that you're basically griefing the parents, then it works out a little better. Sure, it's a kid, but the parent was dumb enough to let the kid play it.

A good instance of griefing in GMod is building a Wiremod thing that plays a really annoying noise and constantly follows you around, but is invisible. Even worse if it's one of those servers where you can't delete anybody else's stuff, because your only option is to turn off sound.

Smarmy Coworker
May 10, 2008

by XyloJW

Dr_Amazing posted:

I like to think there's more to it than just making kids cry. It's griefing, but it's not really that funny.

There was a similar video where they convince a kid to put his sister on, then the convince the sister to smack the kid. now that one was funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLx9O9zOVAg

~8:30 to 9:30~

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
That kid was an rear end and deserved everything he got.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Vib Rib posted:

Griefing Discussion Thread - Making kids cry over a videogame is literally the same as being a serial killer.

Griefing Discussion Thread - Children DESERVE to be griefed for playing MY GROWNUP VIDEO GAMES

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
Am I a bad person for getting thousands of people on ArmA2 banned, and blowing up servers of 50 people just to see the rage that they spew in chat after they lose their 3 hours of work?

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
E: ^ NO, DETAILS NOW

Oh hey 15 new posts maybe there's a bunch of new stor- :smith:

Someone post more SS13 stories or something.

lunatikfringe
Jan 22, 2003

TheSpiritFox posted:

Your analogy is wrong on many levels. This is like saying its ok to honk at a mentally ill person driving a car. They shouldn't be driving in the first place. If parents are going to let their young children play games that are way more mature than they should be experiencing, its not the fault of the players. That one mother claims she is in the room or nearby when her son plays, but that is clearly bullshit. She would know exactly what her son is doing and the things he is saying. Yeah kids get into things they shouldn't, but it certainly wasn't the kid's credit card that bought the drat game. Parents need to own up and do some due diligence on what the hell their kids are up to.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

bucketmouse posted:

E: ^ NO, DETAILS NOW

Oh hey 15 new posts maybe there's a bunch of new stor- :smith:

Someone post more SS13 stories or something.

Well, I figured out how to spawn bombs on top of players in game using the scripting engine, while thousands of people had already been using the scripting engine to do inconsequential stuff like spawn weapons. I then proceeded to post the script all over 4chan, knowing they would make full use of it as my friend and I went from server to server and systematically blew each one of them up, mostly having targeted the reddit server. This went on for about 3 days before it became super rampant, and the reddit server got so upset by this that they decided to password their server, which is against the developer's rules and will lead to their server being blacklisted. (http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/v2n6o/due_to_the_severe_influx_of_hacking_we_will_be/)
All of this happening lead to the developer, rocket, to become extremely upset. He shut down ALL of the servers for about 30 minutes, and then banned any player who ever ran a script in the game, which totaled in the thousands. This perma-banned all of the users across all of the ARMA 2 servers which have battleye on.

I made a few videos of it, they're nothing spectaular, you can read the chat though at the bottom left if you set it to 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQj-8IzHOH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q1X33DfaiQ

wuat fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 16, 2012

Buh
May 17, 2008
Jesus gently caress, how do you actually sit down and write a justification of why bullying kids as an adult is a good thing to do. I can almost get why you'd do it, but how do you come away thinking there's an angle that's gonna change all those naysayers' minds?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Slamscooty posted:

Well, I figured out how to spawn bombs on top of players in game using the scripting engine, while thousands of people had already been using the scripting engine to do inconsequential stuff like spawn weapons. I then proceeded to post the script all over 4chan, knowing they would make full use of it as my friend and I went from server to server and systematically blew each one of them up, mostly having targeted the reddit server. This went on for about 3 days before it became super rampant, and the reddit server got so upset by this that they decided to password their server, which is against the developer's rules and will lead to their server being blacklisted. (http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/v2n6o/due_to_the_severe_influx_of_hacking_we_will_be/)
All of this happening lead to the developer, rocket, to become extremely upset. He shut down ALL of the servers for about 30 minutes, and then banned any player who ever ran an script in the game, which totaled in the thousands. This perma-banned all of the users across all of the ARMA 2 servers which have battleye on.

I made a few videos of it, they're nothing spectaular, you can read the chat though at the bottom left if you set it to 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQj-8IzHOH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q1X33DfaiQ

You did them a favor by keeping them from playing ARMA. But that's hilarious. Can no one make their own servers or something, or is it like DICE and leasing servers?

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

You did them a favor by keeping them from playing ARMA. But that's hilarious. Can no one make their own servers or something, or is it like DICE and leasing servers?

You're able to host your own servers, but rocket or another member of the staff team has to ~PERSONALLY INSTALL~ the server, and he has to add the server ID to his database or something manually.

EDIT: Here are some great screenshots I found, and a corresponding forum post about :qq: I LOST MY TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK :qq:
http://i.imgur.com/akqnL.jpg
Which lead to http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11285
And
http://i.imgur.com/JQPIr.jpg

What's happening in those screenshots is my friend and I were spawning in artillery vehicles, which the server wasn't able to detect, and bombing random people on the map and everybody would just die in a hail of explosions.
Here's a video of me doing exactly this in game from another player's point of view.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBv-iG5CmVg

wuat fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 16, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Buh posted:

Jesus gently caress, how do you actually sit down and write a justification of why bullying kids as an adult is a good thing to do. I can almost get why you'd do it, but how do you come away thinking there's an angle that's gonna change all those naysayers' minds?

I don't think anybody is contesting that griefing in general is a "good" thing to do? The entire point of it is to be a dick to someone and piss them off. It is inherently evil.

tikan
Apr 30, 2009

Buh posted:

Bullying adults is ok though?

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe

Buh posted:

I too expect a website called "SomethingAwful" to be a bastion of proper ethics and well balanced individuals.

Sorry, I meant to say you're a loving retard and need to die in a ditch, preferably while on fire.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zaodai posted:

I don't think anybody is contesting that griefing in general is a "good" thing to do? The entire point of it is to be a dick to someone and piss them off. It is inherently evil.

Inconveniencing people in a vide-

Oh. Oh wait. I get it now. You're griefing the thread. Meta.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Inconveniencing people in a vide-

Oh. Oh wait. I get it now. You're griefing the thread. Meta.

I take it my response is supposed to portray you as claiming griefing actually builds schools for poor children in Africa?

It is an evil act. It's not on the level of a crime or racism or something, but intentionally being a dick to people is certainly not on the good side of the fence. Evil can have standards, so you can still condemn the people who pick on children as being worse, but it is, regardless, a bad thing to do regardless of your target.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Boru posted:

As we are in the "griefing thread" I thought the implication was that everyone was fair game? Anyway my intention was just to point out that the types of kids who get pissed off at games are typically the kids who get pissed off doing ANYTHING. That's to say that even if they weren't being griefed, there's a good chance they would be getting pissed off at something else anyway in the game: camping; using shotguns; taking 'their stuff', etc etc.

Now I'm not sure that this *justifies* griefing them, but it's this attitude that makes them your basic mark to grief based on their overbearing reactions. Some kids will just take it all in stride, and some will just disconnect: it's not like ALL kids have hair triggers and no self control.

In terms of "is it fair," well griefing is inherently unfair and I thought that's what made it funny? If no one got mad at greifers what would be the point?

Bottom line it's picking on people who cannot help their reactions. If it rolls off it rolls off, if it doesn't it doesn't, but kids by default lack the self control to choose to not allow something to get to them or to step back and rationalize everything. Griefing is fair, usually. Everyone is an adult, everyone should be able to step back and say "ok, I'm not going to freak out about this" only some people do not. When an adult does not, that's flat out their fault. When a kid does not it's usually because they fundamentally can't, and it takes a pretty pathetic person to enjoy tormenting those who are literally defenseless.

There's also the fact that picking such easy targets makes you a bad griefer. We celebrate people who are inventive in this thread, who pioneer new ways to destroy people's peace of mind or who dedicate themselves to griefs through effort. loving with kids has none of these qualities, it's low effort trolling at it's worst which pretends to be awesome because if you'd gotten that reaction out of an adult you probably would really have had to put some time, energy, and thought into doing it.

Zaodai posted:

You are exactly the kind of pathetic person I'm talking about. The person who takes poo poo too seriously and the only reason you're a griefer instead of griefed is because you get there first and because you're probably a bit sociopathic.

lunatikfringe posted:

Your analogy is wrong on many levels. This is like saying its ok to honk at a mentally ill person driving a car. They shouldn't be driving in the first place. If parents are going to let their young children play games that are way more mature than they should be experiencing, its not the fault of the players. That one mother claims she is in the room or nearby when her son plays, but that is clearly bullshit. She would know exactly what her son is doing and the things he is saying. Yeah kids get into things they shouldn't, but it certainly wasn't the kid's credit card that bought the drat game. Parents need to own up and do some due diligence on what the hell their kids are up to.

You too.

You realize that you are literally placing the onus of your behaviors on other people. You have no responsibility to moderate your behavior or treat others like human beings. While I agree that no responsible parent lets their 10 year old play Team Fortress 2 I also think you are a pathetic manchild with some serious antisocial tendencies.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zaodai posted:

I take it my response is supposed to portray you as claiming griefing actually builds schools for poor children in Africa?

It is an evil act. It's not on the level of a crime or racism or something, but intentionally being a dick to people is certainly not on the good side of the fence. Evil can have standards, so you can still condemn the people who pick on children as being worse, but it is, regardless, a bad thing to do regardless of your target.

I respect the effort you're putting into this but I don't for five seconds think you actually believe the terms good or evil are relevant to 99% of griefing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TheSpiritFox posted:

You are exactly the kind of pathetic person I'm talking about. The person who takes poo poo too seriously and the only reason you're a griefer instead of griefed is because you get there first and because you're probably a bit sociopathic.

You realize that you are literally placing the onus of your behaviors on other people. You have no responsibility to moderate your behavior or treat others like human beings. While I agree that no responsible parent lets their 10 year old play Team Fortress 2 I also think you are a pathetic manchild with some serious antisocial tendencies.

Absolutely sociopathic. No argument there. But you're assuming children inherently have the right to make me change my behavior as opposed to being responsible for where they go or what they do. In theory, you should be able to walk down the darkest alley of the worst city in the world and have nothing happen to you. In practice, you have to accept that it is not a good idea and that if you get murdered you are at least partially at fault.

People are under no obligation to follow your beliefs or treat people as you would treat them. If they were, we could expect the children to not whine and the idiots to shut up and leave. Those people are shirking the responsibility for their actions as much as the people you think are pathetic sociopaths.

[EDIT]Re: Good and evil in griefing:
I didn't try putting it on an absolute scale, but in the context of the post I was responding to, he was strawmanning us claiming griefing was a good thing. If you're going to put it on the absolute scale of good and evil, it has to lean evil. Griefing is "bad". It's just not that bad.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jun 16, 2012

• Locked thread