Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Animal-Mother posted:

The poor guy has clearly lost his mind, either because of mental illness or just plain obsession with this idea that has consumed his whole life for decades. I don't know what they could gain by talking with him. I see why they chose to respect his privacy. On the other hand, they did put his home address out there for the world to see. poo poo, I just looked at it on Google street view. But yeah that disappointed me too. :(

In all fairness he put his own address on one of the tiles so it's not all their fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
If I remember right, they actually blur out the address when they show it. Not that you couldn't get it with a single google search, but that's his doing not theirs.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...
I just watched Resurrect Dead. Wow, that was REALLY interesting. And I've absolutely seen those drat tiles! (I live in NYC and spend a fair amount of time in Philly.)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I just watched Centurion. I remember some buzz about it a couple years ago, and it stars Michael Fassbender so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm glad I was only using it for background noise while I painted stuff because it was really, really uninteresting. Everything in the movie was by the book and functional at best. One of the characters seriously delivers a speech about how this is his last tour before retirement, and all the typical pathos about his kid and stuff. Stabbed, three days before retirement. It's definitely watchable but I can't recommend it.

It's also basically the same movie as Ironclad, but without Paul Giamatti hamming it up to 11.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah don't even bother watching that movie anyone or "The Eagle." So terrible.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Christoff posted:

I've seen both of those movies and can't remember which was which for the life of me. They just blend together in my head.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Looks like Battle Royale is coming on the 20th. Sweet.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Christoff posted:

I heard better things about The Eagle, but man was Centurion (just took like 2 minutes to remember the title of it) not worth watching.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Centurion sucks, but I like The Eagle. It has a really nice look to it, it's a lot more lush and green than Centurion.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

penismightier posted:

Centurion sucks, but I like The Eagle. It has a really nice look to it, it's a lot more lush and green than Centurion.

Centurion is one of the bluest movies I've ever seen.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like Neil Marshall, and I wanted to like Centurion, but it wasn't very good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

He's a really awesome director but is pretty hit and miss.

He does have a neat early career Peter Jackson-esque ability to do lots with minimal resources.

And his Game of Thrones episode was really great given his limited budget to do a really big battle scene.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SRM posted:

Centurion is one of the bluest movies I've ever seen.

Yeah that's a look that's gotta go. I feel the way about blue tint that most people feel about "shaky-cam".

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah I was trying to like it so much, but he just didn't meet me halfway.

All that said, The Eagle kind of owns.

spaztaz
Jan 28, 2009

Zero Karizma posted:

I just watched Resurrect Dead. Wow, that was REALLY interesting. And I've absolutely seen those drat tiles! (I live in NYC and spend a fair amount of time in Philly.)

I watched Resurrect Dead last night after reading this thread. It was absolutely fascinating. They did an amazing job of setting up the mystery and putting the pieces together.

I think the ending was perfect. Getting a chance to actually meet and interview the guy would have probably just been sad and depressing.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Grave Encounters was astounding. Haven't seen a movie start with 1 hour of aimless ghost foreshadowing then try and go into 8 different directions with little reason.
It's as if someone made a movie out of 8 1st year film student films about spooky hallways and someone knows how to do a smidgeon of CG.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

foodfight posted:

Looks like Battle Royale is coming on the 20th. Sweet.

I never understood the popularity of BR. Once you get passed the "kids killing kids, how controversial!" hype, the subplots are hokey and the acting is hammy and/or terrible. Takeshi Kitano is the only redeeming part of BR.

That said, it's much better than BR2. I basically stopped paying attention 30 minutes in, and Riki Takeuchi is no Takeshi Kitano.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

hypersleep posted:

I never understood the popularity of BR. Once you get passed the "kids killing kids, how controversial!" hype, the subplots are hokey and the acting is hammy and/or terrible. Takeshi Kitano is the only redeeming part of BR.

Agreed, unless there was some sort of cultural subtext to the movie that I wasn't aware of since I saw it 10 years after it came out.

It's full of just basic anime tropes taken to needlessly violent conclusions. I thought the manga was more ridiculous and thus superior in every way.

I enjoyed Kitano as well but when isn't his blank stare and casual reaction to bloodshed not entertaining?

Junkie Disease posted:

Grave Encounters was astounding. Haven't seen a movie start with 1 hour of aimless ghost foreshadowing then try and go into 8 different directions with little reason.

That's what's so great about it! It takes a dozen horrible ghost movies / ghost youtube videos and crams it into one ridiculous, nonsensical movie.

I feel like I just got years of stupid bullshit ghost viewing out of the way in a movies' time.

Jigoku fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Jun 16, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Skywalker OG posted:

Agreed, unless there was some sort of cultural subtext to the movie that I wasn't aware of since I saw it 10 years after it came out.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a reaction to the ultra-competitive and dehumanizing Japanese educational system.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Crappy Jack posted:

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a reaction to the ultra-competitive and dehumanizing Japanese educational system.

As well as the way children are ripped from the educational system and thrown into the cutthroat business world completely unprepared, where they'll have to step over their friends and peers in order to get ahead.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's also kind of an odd Japanese counterpoint to A Clockwork Orange in that it touches on a lot of the same themes of the older generations being afraid of their children for being different.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Resurrect Dead was wonderful. Don't google it just set aside some time and turn it on. My college had quite a few of these around it.

vectoral
Nov 26, 2007

Tell your mom, tell your dad, we were super rad.
If you got dumped tonight and need a pick-me-up, an all-night marathon of Playful Kiss before it gets taken down tomorrow wouldn't be the worst idea. It's a pretty by-the-numbers Korean drama that justifies its existence by being utterly loving adorable and having a crazy-hot male lead. I think it'll still be up on Hulu after it goes down on Netflix.

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004
Watched The Man from Earth last night and thought it was really good and really very interesting. It's about a man who may or may not be a caveman who has somehow survived to modern day who is about to leave his job and lets some of his coworkers know who is really is. There's some meh acting and some of the conversation is a little awkward but all in all I enjoyed it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's totally worth it to see Tony Todd in a real supporting role.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Hundu thanks for the heads up on Boy Wonder. Awesome, awesome movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

weekly font posted:

I just watched it the other day and it was really good.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Just watched a classic comedy His Girl Friday from 1940 with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell. Even though its 70+ years old, the dialogue is surprisingly fresh and funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVvnEWez1M

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

mascaria posted:

Watched The Man from Earth last night and thought it was really good and really very interesting. It's about a man who may or may not be a caveman who has somehow survived to modern day who is about to leave his job and lets some of his coworkers know who is really is. There's some meh acting and some of the conversation is a little awkward but all in all I enjoyed it.

I would highly recommend this movie. Watched it a few months ago and almost instantly fell in love with it (then again, I'm in love with really out there philosophy like the things John talks about). Even if the entire movie takes place in a single room, the conversations are infused with extremely fascinating question of life, death, immortality, knowledge, understanding and the whole situation has this great feeling of being almost unsolvable on the subject of whether John's making it up or not. I was fascinated by the whole thing, and while I do agree that the acting can be a bit shaky, the question of it all (what if a Cro-Magnon stopped aging and lived through history?) is a really solid philosophical dilemma like The Time Machine and the works of the Greek Philosophers.

(Speaking of The Time Machine, it reminds me a bit of the original short story in how it goes about things. This one guy invites his friends to his house, they all sit down in a room and then he proceeds to tell them something so absolutely out there no one knows if the protagonist is lying.)

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
I just watched Everything Must Go. Holy poo poo, Will Ferrell can act. I hope he does more dramatic roles instead of channeling Adam Sandler and running away to go make more lovely comedies.

(Anchorman sequel notwithstanding.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

No problem! I think it's relevant to the Batman thread.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

mod sassinator posted:

Just watched a classic comedy His Girl Friday from 1940 with Cary Grant and Rosalind Russell. Even though its 70+ years old, the dialogue is surprisingly fresh and funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHVvnEWez1M

The remake with Matthau and Lemmon and directed by Wilder is also great as well and on Instant!

Actually, so is the original from '31 but I don't know how good the quality is, last time I watched it it was pretty bad.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Whoa. Did some kind of contract dry up or am I very unlucky? A good 20-30 titles in my queue all expire June 30th or July 1st.

mascaria posted:

I agree. Acting is a little stilted at places and they were clearly working on a very limited budget, but it was well written regardless, like a good play.

I only wish they had kept things ambiguous instead of pretty much confirming the truth at the end.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
It's probably been mentioned already, but Rubber is a very well made indie flick. Very self aware and full of interesting concepts. I thoroughly enjoyed it until one of the scenes towards the end. Don't agree with the writer/director's idea behind blowing up the man in the wheelchair.

hcreight posted:

I just watched Everything Must Go. Holy poo poo, Will Ferrell can act. I hope he does more dramatic roles instead of channeling Adam Sandler and running away to go make more lovely comedies.

(Anchorman sequel notwithstanding.)

Although it's not on Netflix, Stranger Than Fiction is a great display of Will Ferrell in a serious role and a much better movie than Everything Must Go, in my opinion.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Vinestalk posted:

It's probably been mentioned already, but Rubber is a very well made indie flick. Very self aware and full of interesting concepts. I thoroughly enjoyed it until one of the scenes towards the end. Don't agree with the writer/director's idea behind blowing up the man in the wheelchair.

No, it's absolutely not. Please do not listen to this person, Rubber is absolute poo poo. It's direction is terrible and it's "self awareness" leads to it not doing anything for the entire movie.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Pretty harsh judgement. What were your expectations going into the film? Did you not enjoy the cinematography at all?

Edit:

quote:

(although I'm pretty sure that that's the point: it's 80 minutes of "This is a poo poo movie and you're watching it, you're watching a poo poo movie, what's the matter with you, do you even care, etc.")

Yeah, that's the point. Which I think is something anyone can relate to. People appreciate stuff like Troll 2 or Manos. They literally watch those films because they heard they were the worst films ever made and they will rewatch them with friends. I kind of like the examination of that, whether it's a documentary or a film like Rubber.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 17, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

No, it's absolutely not. Please do not listen to this person, Rubber is absolute poo poo. It's direction is terrible and it's "self awareness" leads to it not doing anything for the entire movie.

Yes. It's really aggressively self-aware and not even in service of an interesting story (although I'm pretty sure that that's the point: it's 80 minutes of "This is a poo poo movie and you're watching it, you're watching a poo poo movie, what's the matter with you, do you even care, etc.").

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
Rubber is a fantastic movie. Watch it.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
I hadn't seen Rounders before so I watched it last night. John Malkovich :allears:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
I'm in the anti Rubber camp. The film had some funny moments, but by the end I was hoping someone would wheel some poisoned food into the theater so we could end it already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vinestalk posted:

Although it's not on Netflix, Stranger Than Fiction is a great display of Will Ferrell in a serious role and a much better movie than Everything Must Go, in my opinion.

Stranger Than Fiction is an absolutely fantastic movie and everybody should see it.

• Locked thread