Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zaodai posted:

I take it my response is supposed to portray you as claiming griefing actually builds schools for poor children in Africa?

It is an evil act. It's not on the level of a crime or racism or something, but intentionally being a dick to people is certainly not on the good side of the fence. Evil can have standards, so you can still condemn the people who pick on children as being worse, but it is, regardless, a bad thing to do regardless of your target.

oh no my karma

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Slamscooty posted:

Am I a bad person for getting thousands of people on ArmA2 banned, and blowing up servers of 50 people just to see the rage that they spew in chat after they lose their 3 hours of work?

Yes, you are, but that kind of goes hand-in-hand with being a griefer, so who cares.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Zaodai posted:

Absolutely sociopathic. No argument there. But you're assuming children inherently have the right to make me change my behavior as opposed to being responsible for where they go or what they do. In theory, you should be able to walk down the darkest alley of the worst city in the world and have nothing happen to you. In practice, you have to accept that it is not a good idea and that if you get murdered you are at least partially at fault.

People are under no obligation to follow your beliefs or treat people as you would treat them. If they were, we could expect the children to not whine and the idiots to shut up and leave. Those people are shirking the responsibility for their actions as much as the people you think are pathetic sociopaths.

[EDIT]Re: Good and evil in griefing:
I didn't try putting it on an absolute scale, but in the context of the post I was responding to, he was strawmanning us claiming griefing was a good thing. If you're going to put it on the absolute scale of good and evil, it has to lean evil. Griefing is "bad". It's just not that bad.

Uhh, no, it does not work this way.

Do you know what victim blaming is? There has literally been a movement if you switch to rape instead of murder to fight the perception that "if you did x and someone committed a violent crime against you you are partially at fault". The end point of that incredibly stupid line of logic is "If you go outside whatever happens is partially your fault"

The world does not operate solely on obligation. That you do not understand that either means you really are a sociopath, which means you are fundamentally incapable of understanding this concept, or that you're a sheltered egocentric manchild, which means your parents were complete poo poo and you haven't got the intelligence, self awareness, or natural empathy to be able to/want to overcome that.

Also, no one is at fault for anyone else being a shithead except in some cases the shitheads parents. That said, children who are shitheads can't necessarily be blamed on anyone because many kids are shitheads and grow out of it, because kids are mirrors which reflect whatever surrounds them and adults (like you) often surround kids with lovely environments.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Okay, I think I get what you're saying now.

Children are blameless holy creatures, people that disagree with you are pathetic, insane and responsible for all evil in the world.

Got it.

procitizen
May 9, 2010

HYUK HYUK HYUK
Who the gently caress cares holy poo poo

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Jesus loving christ, stop bitching about the psychology of griefing and post some loving stories about making people mad.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I thought briefly about going through the thread and counting how many times this conversation has come up. Then I came to my loving senses. :v:

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
We get it Spirit Fox, shut the gently caress up - griefing kids is ultra-low hanging fruit and really not in good taste. Most of us can agree on this , can we drop it and have some more content like the ARMA2 guy? That poo poo was hilarious.

Content sort of relating to the kid thing: It seems like in ANY game I play with chat, both voice and text, people really have an issue with muting someone. Like, if someone is poo poo talking or micspamming, the victim's first response is yelling shut up instead of simply muting the other individual.

Team Fortress 2 in particular really has this problem; I've almost never seen someone be annoying in chat (voice OR text) without at least 3 people complaining. One instance I remember fondly was on a trade server where a young kid was asking for a free Sharp Dresser (this is a knife-type weapon for the Spy class modeled after the knife used by Ezio in Assassin's Creed 2) over voice chat. It started as asking, then turned to begging, then to just droning on and on to annoy other server goers. This went on for 20 minutes, and for that entire 20 minutes all I could hear was not the kid (since I muted him on and off just to see what he was saying), but 3 different individuals going absolutely furious over this kid droning on over his microphone. You would have thought that the mute key was a simple fix for annoying microphone users, but it's apparently still an easy grief.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

This isn't related to that specific incident but you can't actually text-mute someone without some kind of server plugin.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

bucketmouse posted:

Oh hey 15 new posts maybe there's a bunch of new stor- :smith:

Someone post more SS13 stories or something.

Okay, here's a little SS13 griefing. So, in SS13 the AI is a computer shaped like a big blue cube that sits on a satellite far away from pretty much everything else and controls things on the station via security cameras and speaks to the crew over the intercom. It's also surrounded by a network of defence turrets. Now, you can kill the AI, but you aren't supposed to be able to move it from its spot on the satellite. It's fixed in place and can't be grabbed or pulled or knocked out of place by anything other than admin intervention. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.

There's an item on the station called a disposal unit. It's basically a trash can. Shoving something in and then pulling the lever causes it to shoot down through a series of pipes leading to a crusher. If the pipes are removed, then whatever is just fired out in a random direction. The disposal unit is much like the AI in that it can not be moved. There's a job on the station whose main purpose is to scan and recreate items. One of the items you can copy is a disposal unit.

I spawned as an electrician, copied two disposal units, stole a spacesuit and a jetpack, and flew to the AI's satellite. I deployed the copies in a line next to the AI. Since the coders didn't anticipate that two objects that were supposed to be entirely immovable and are as far away from eachother as you can really be would ever be next to eachother, they didn't bother removing the bit of code that lets you shove people into disposals from the AI. And, as it turns out, firing the AI halfway across the room prevents it from opening the door to let other people in to save it, and while it is actually stuck inside a disposal it can't speak or interact with anything, and it has no way of getting out since it can't move. As the icing on the cake, whenever I let it out, I could stand on the same square as it and it would absorb the shots from its defence turrets. Basically, it was hosed.

(later the Captain busted through a wall to arrest me but all of his shots hit the AI and I was completely unharmed)

wuat
Jul 12, 2009
Here's a little compendium of what the dayz developer's reaction to what happened yesterday, it's honestly pretty amazing how broken he became due to this, :qq: MY ZOMBIE GAME GOT GRIEFED BECAUSE I PUT IT ON THE WORLDS WORST ENGINE, GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD :qq:
http://i.imgur.com/pjSYx.jpg

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Slamscooty posted:

Here's a little compendium of what the dayz developer's reaction to what happened yesterday, it's honestly pretty amazing how broken he became due to this, :qq: MY ZOMBIE GAME GOT GRIEFED BECAUSE I PUT IT ON THE WORLDS WORST ENGINE, GOODBYE CRUEL WORLD :qq:

Wait, what's the story behind this? I thought I had been keeping up with the thread, but this meltdown looks amazing. Please enlighten me!

e: whoops, thank you :sweatdrop:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 16, 2012

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Slamscooty posted:

Well, I figured out how to spawn bombs on top of players in game using the scripting engine, while thousands of people had already been using the scripting engine to do inconsequential stuff like spawn weapons. I then proceeded to post the script all over 4chan, knowing they would make full use of it as my friend and I went from server to server and systematically blew each one of them up, mostly having targeted the reddit server. This went on for about 3 days before it became super rampant, and the reddit server got so upset by this that they decided to password their server, which is against the developer's rules and will lead to their server being blacklisted. (http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/v2n6o/due_to_the_severe_influx_of_hacking_we_will_be/)
All of this happening lead to the developer, rocket, to become extremely upset. He shut down ALL of the servers for about 30 minutes, and then banned any player who ever ran a script in the game, which totaled in the thousands. This perma-banned all of the users across all of the ARMA 2 servers which have battleye on.

I made a few videos of it, they're nothing spectaular, you can read the chat though at the bottom left if you set it to 1080p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQj-8IzHOH0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q1X33DfaiQ

Here are the details you requested, he posted them on the last page.

He certainly did his homework.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Justice posted:

Wait, what's the story behind this? I thought I had been keeping up with the thread, but this meltdown looks amazing. Please enlighten me!

Here's a quick summary, I posted a script and the means method to nuke servers all over 4chan, my friend and I went to tons of servers and started relentlessly nuking them to laugh at chat after the people die, as the game has permadeath and they lose everything they've worked for. After 3 days of doing this, the game's developer shuts the game down completely, and bans every single person that's ever run a script while playing dayz. He goes and acts like a total dick on his forums laughing at all the people that got banned, a few hours later, he goes to the largest ARMA 2 hacking site and starts crying about how he done bad and how he was pushed to this.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's not everyday that you can claim to have singlehandedly killed a videogame. Congrats?

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
That's amazing, how hard was it to figure out and execute the script?

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
Please stop discussing evil acts, thank you.

PKJC
May 7, 2009
Yeah that sure is funny how you and a bunch of channer script kiddies hosed up a game for a bunch of people who did literally nothing to you, good job I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

mcvey posted:

That's amazing, how hard was it to figure out and execute the script?

Honestly, I just modified a few scripts I found around a few ARMA 2 hacking sites, the game has it's own built in scripting engine so it was just a matter of figuring out how to make it spawn for each player, and actually finding a bomb inside the game's classes. The script execution part was you could hex-edit the game while it was running, and replace the dedicated server control script with any you chose, I made a simple menu from this, but other people just had it directly built onto spawning a bomb.

Edit:

PKJC posted:

Yeah that sure is funny how you and a bunch of channer script kiddies hosed up a game for a bunch of people who did literally nothing to you, good job I guess.
That would imply that the reason I grief people is for revenge, which it isn't. I do it because I can, and because I find it funny as gently caress.

wuat fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 16, 2012

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I don't think anybody's going to top "I killed an entire game".

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Slamscooty posted:

Honestly, I just modified a few scripts I found around a few ARMA 2 hacking sites, the game has it's own built in scripting engine so it was just a matter of figuring out how to make it spawn for each player, and actually finding a bomb inside the game's classes. The script execution part was you could hex-edit the game while it was running, and replace the dedicated server control script with any you chose, I made a simple menu from this, but other people just had it directly built onto spawning a bomb.

Edit:

That would imply that the reason I grief people is for revenge, which it isn't. I do it because I can, and because I find it funny as gently caress.
When you said "nuking the server" I assumed it was some kind of DoS attack, but holy poo poo this is so much better :golfclap: Incredible. I wish I could reap the strife you have sown and distill it into a fermented beverage to keep me warm at night.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Slamscooty posted:

That's absolutely hilarious. He can't handle some griefing and flips his poo poo and brings the whole thing down. There were probably a ton of other options but he had a hissy fit and decided to take his ball and go home. Nice loving job, that's brilliant.

Edit: From the sound of it, he seems like a power tripper anyways. Nobody can have their own server? Nobody can password their server? That makes no sense, what if you want a private game with friends or something?

Edit 2: Or is that a part of ARMA2? If so that's stupid as hell.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 16, 2012

sturgeon general
Jun 27, 2005

Smells like sushi.
It was kind of a dick move, but it's hilarious that the ARMA engine places that much trust on the client. BI should definitely go "lesson learned" and just prevent it or patch it out for ARMA 3.

Zebrin
Mar 12, 2010

Chopping trees down and making elves cry.
Pubbie. loving. Tears.

There is your drink. Yeah it is impressive, and a good lesson on security. If you leave such a huge exploit open then what the gently caress do you expect to happen? Granted, banning everyone for using scripts is retarded, but if you leave scripts enabled, some people are GOING to use them like that.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

PKJC posted:

Stop griefing me.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
As far as I understand, the flaws were with the engine and not the mod & the engine doesn't have any way to distinguish which people were using the scripts for minor reasons and who were using it to nuke servers, so the banning was an all-or-nothing thing to make it stop.

If there's anyone to make fun of, I'm not sure it's the guy who made the mod.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Cowman posted:

That's absolutely hilarious. He can't handle some griefing and flips his poo poo and brings the whole thing down. There were probably a ton of other options but he had a hissy fit and decided to take his ball and go home. Nice loving job, that's brilliant.

Edit: From the sound of it, he seems like a power tripper anyways. Nobody can have their own server? Nobody can password their server? That makes no sense, what if you want a private game with friends or something?

Edit 2: Or is that a part of ARMA2? If so that's stupid as hell.

You can host your own server with arma 2 normal, he just made it so he has to approve each and every server, and the password thing was "So you can't farm loot" or something, which happened anyways. Some guy also made a single player mod of the game, and he straight up flipped out on him and sent him a C&D or some crazy poo poo.
You can read about this whole spergfest at http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/v0yqr/rocket_demands_takedown_of_kronzkys_dayz_sp/

E:

flatluigi posted:

As far as I understand, the flaws were with the engine and not the mod & the engine doesn't have any way to distinguish which people were using the scripts for minor reasons and who were using it to nuke servers, so the banning was an all-or-nothing thing to make it stop.

Well, rocket works at the developer of ARMA 2, and it was his choice for the engine he used, no reason to make it on something so unbelievably unsecured.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No, pretty sure it's his fault for CD Key banning a few thousand people instead of doing something like cross-referencing attack times with connection records and script engine records to figure out the main offenders.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Now that is an impressive grief. You likely just destroyed the playerbase of not just that mod, but the entire game.

That developer was such a jackass. The guy leaves open a huge exploit that can ruin peoples' experience in a single session of play, and the way he chose to fix it completely destroys the community behind his mod and of the game he was making the mod for. What was he thinking?

flatluigi posted:

Preventing users from running scripts was one thing, but permabanning everyone who had used them was a boneheaded move that escalated the grief to destroying his own playerbase.

Pakled fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 16, 2012

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
That reddit post reads completely different than what you're describing, dude. What are you doing, trying to get people on your side after the response here wasn't 100% praise?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
No matter what happened short of large scale financial fraud, CD Key banning thousands of people isn't the answer.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

flatluigi posted:

That reddit post reads completely different than what you're describing, dude. What are you doing, trying to get people on your side after the response here wasn't 100% praise?

Did you actually read rocket's comment? It's the one on the top

rocket posted:

We came to an agreement, and I gave him access to my source repository so he could begin researching to develop the single player version but I required him to discuss and work with me around timing for releasing it and how it was released. He didn't do this, and just did whatever he wanted.
So I terminated my relationship with him, as this was a complete betrayal of my trust as far as I am concerned.

Rocket used BI as a proxy to get this guy to remove it from his site, because he betrayed him by releasing it how he wanted to.
Here's the reply of the guy who developed it, he is a very prominent person in the ARMA 2 community.

Kronzky posted:

I really don't know why these things are discussed in public, but since big claims are made here, I think it's about time to respond.
Rocket and I never had an "agreement". We had a brief conversation after my announcement of the SP mission was deleted from the DayZ forum, and he gave me access to the sources (but I didn't need those to create the wrapper—that was already working). Rocket asked me to do some code reviews, which I did and I reported some bugs I found.
He told me he wasn't categorically opposed to a SP version, but that he didn't have time to concentrate on that at the moment. He mentioned that he might want to work with me on a full SP conversion at some later point.
NEVER did he ask me to stop developing, or hosting the mod (until BI contacted me a few days ago). This whole behavior seem quite childish to me, and to spread false information about me in public, without so much as trying to discuss the issue with me personally is pretty weird, to say the least...
(Since my account on the DayZ forum was blocked, I am unable to respond there—where it matters.)

wuat fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jun 16, 2012

PKJC
May 7, 2009
rocket seems like a pretty bad programmer but it doesn't really excuse slamscooty being a huge shithead. Can't the answer be that both sides are stupid?

vvv Griefing is funny when the target is well chosen and the grief is creative, you didn't really bother with either of those. Even if rocket didn't react in about the worst way he possibly could have, your initial action was a lovely thing to do.

e:

Justice posted:

Sorry your lovely zombie game mod got ruined.

The one I've never played? I don't own ArmA2.

PKJC fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 16, 2012

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

PKJC posted:

rocket seems like a pretty bad programmer but it doesn't really excuse slamscooty being a huge shithead. Can't the answer be that both sides are stupid?

If you haven't noticed, you're in the griefing thread, it's kind of based around being a shithead to other people.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

PKJC posted:

Sorry your lovely zombie game mod got ruined.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

PKJC posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > I Killed British - The Griefing Discussion Thread

I really can't break it down for you any further. I mean I could get out the dictionary and start defining stuff but :effort:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Just set aside morality for a moment and marvel at the amount of destruction caused by one person.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
DayZ has been so completely destroyed that the SA thread on it is still pretty active and, from just skimming the last page, carrying on like nothing happened and talking about what an idiot the main developer is.

VVV I was aiming that more at the people :qq:ing about how awful you were for ruining an entire game.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 16, 2012

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

1stGear posted:

DayZ has been so completely destroyed that the SA thread on it is still pretty active and, from just skimming the last page, carrying on like nothing happened and talking about what an idiot the main developer is.

Do note that I haven't said that I destroyed the game, that was all from rocket. I know that it's still going on, I just find the whole situation hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh, it was Day Z Mod ARMA. I thought you got thousands of people banned from playing just, y'know, ARMA. :downsgun:

Though I suppose to comment about helping them not play a terrible game holds.

You really couldn't have picked a better game to destroy/grief. gently caress the haters. You're my hero.

• Locked thread