Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Mercedes, I tried to add you after all that wonderful advertising you did of your pawn last page, but your friends list is full. :colbert:

edit: vvvvv She was probably on her way back to Gransys when post-game happened and said, "Merde that noise, I'm a lovely knight. I'm staying le home."

likecnsnnts fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

Mercedes' voice is the hottest thing since nuclear fusion.

Pity she turns all "Waah I'm completely useless" later in the game
I really found that endearing, to be honest. During her last quest I was like hell yeah, she's going to turn her disgrace into a fire to improve herself, and come back ten times the knight she used to be. I guess that doesn't happen in this game though...

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

likecnsnnts posted:

Mercedes, I tried to add you after all that wonderful advertising you did of your pawn last page, but your friends list is full. :colbert:

edit: vvvvv She was probably on her way back to Gransys when post-game happened and said, "Merde that noise, I'm a lovely knight. I'm staying le home."

I cleaned up a little bit. Try again mang

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

likecnsnnts posted:

I'd given her a ton of booze so she showed up at the Dragon's Domain. Now she hangs around my house complaining about how useless she is.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
I'm going to order this on Tuesday, and I do have Xbox Live. I've read the OP and watched a few trailers and can't wait to smoke a few bowls and go exploring poo poo. I just wanted to ask are there any tips / tricks / hints / veritably vital knowledge you want to impart, or stuff that you wish you knew from the start of the game? Minor spoilers are cool for me just nothing twisty or end-gamey.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TehGherkin posted:

I'm going to order this on Tuesday, and I do have Xbox Live. I've read the OP and watched a few trailers and can't wait to smoke a few bowls and go exploring poo poo. I just wanted to ask are there any tips / tricks / hints / veritably vital knowledge you want to impart, or stuff that you wish you knew from the start of the game? Minor spoilers are cool for me just nothing twisty or end-gamey.
Periodically check back in Cassardis and the encampment (the first two "towns" you see) for quests. There are time-sensitive quests that you can only get from them.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

TehGherkin posted:

You don't have to actually fight either of the big monsters in the Everfall once you get to Gran Soren, tons of people seem to get stuck there and grind out notice board quests or something wacky. Do not grind out notice board quests because most of them you'll do on accident as you do more interesting poo poo, and the others don't give good enough rewards to justify it. Grinding doesn't count going to the woods and killing every bunny in sight, as that is hilarious :black101:

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Just started my new game plus.

Now I'm gonna start at lvl 55 as a female mage with a ultra burly strider pawn.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

RentACop posted:

92,000 in five days, thats... I have no idea what that is

Certainly not going to reach the planned 10m copies, and probably not going to reach 2m copies fast enough.

Jimbot posted:

What kind of stuff do you guys want to see in the sequel?

An arena. :black101:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

limaCAT posted:

An arena. :black101:
I only just noticed that enemy mages casting area of effect magic show a red outline around where they are casting, and I got thinking what four on four team deathmatch DD would look like.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

limaCAT posted:

Certainly not going to reach the planned 10m copies, and probably not going to reach 2m copies fast enough.

They really planned for 10 million copies? :psyduck:

They've gone insane.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Der Shovel posted:

They really planned for 10 million copies? :psyduck:

They've gone insane.

I'm pretty sure they were aiming for 1.5 million...

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Count Uvula posted:

I think they had some insane initial estimate like that but then pared it down to 1.5, but it probably won't make that. I don't think they had any TV or movie ads for it outside of Japan, it could have really used those.

edit: I don't think they were planning on turning a profit even at 1.5. Such is the fate of most new IPs...

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Count Uvula posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-20-dragons-dogma-can-sell-10-million-worldwide-reckons-capcom

edit:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think they had some insane initial estimate like that but then pared it down to 1.5, but it probably won't make that. I don't think they had any TV or movie ads for it outside of Japan, it could have really used those.

edit: I don't think they were planning on turning a profit even at 1.5. Such is the fate of most new IPs...

Well, no advertisement is stupid, especially since they were going to go against loving Diablo.

limaCAT fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 16, 2012

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

The Welper posted:

I want the whole experience as 'new' as possible visually, but finding that it is even comparable to Demon's Souls / Dark Souls is what I needed to hear.

I'm a huge Dark/Demons Souls fan and I really enjoyed Dragon's Dogma, but they're not even remotely comparable games. The only similarities are that they're third person fantasy action games.

The difficulty in Dragon's Dogma comes almost entirely from enemies having tons of health and having to hit specific weak points. The combat itself isn't very hard and you basically just mash attack or spam a skill repeatedly. I think I died maybe 2 or 3 times throughout all of Dragon's Dogma.

Dragons Dogma has a big world that's fun but very time consuming to adventure in but there's not much detail, compared to Dark Souls' small world that's jam-packed with detail in every square inch.

The pacing is very different, Dark/Demons Souls are very slow and deliberate, DD is fast and action-packed. They're not really similar thematically either.

Don't let this stop you from playing Dragon's Dogma because it's a really fun game, just don't expect anything like Dark Souls.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Samurai Sanders posted:

None of my "hardcore" gamer friends have ever heard of it. I found out about it from someone mentioning it in the PS3 general thread and almost didn't give it a second look because it has a terrible name.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Diffrences between Dragon's Dogma and Demon's / Dark Souls

Agreed on the specifics, but I'd say the big similarity is in the design philosophy. They're both extremely spartan in modern day comforts and conveniences (which is more charming in DS, more frustrating in DD) and in the philosophy of not really telling the player anything, throwing him into the world and letting him sink or swim.

Honestly, and this is surprising me a great deal, I am having way more fun with Dragon's Dogma right now than I was with Dark Souls. Demon's Souls stands head and shoulders above both in my esteem though.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, the first iteration of any new IP is almost always a loss leader. You throw it out there to get the name circulating, then hope you can actually start making money with the second or third game. It's a hosed up model.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What do magic enchantments on the shields that mystic knights have do? The shield itself doesn't have any physical attacks right? Just the elemental counterattacks and stuff that are their own enchantment. This thunder kite shield is awesome but I fail to see what the thunder does.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jun 16, 2012

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I finally got back into the game. I'd stopped midway into the big griffin kill quest for the Duke's sidekick guy, halfway to the ruined castle. Picked up, ran my rear end towards it, promptly got killed by bandits in the cliffs. Well poo poo. Reset back at the outpost castle not far from Gran Soren, decide to just hoof it. Made it back, ran past the bandits, killed some undead, poo poo went down... and I arrived at the ruined castle without a loving single guy as backup.

With a griffin on the loose.

With two healing items left.

Well poo poo.

I sniped the harpies from outside of where they could apparently aggro on me, made my way in, nearly got killed by skeletal mages a few times, and finally make it up top where the griffin was chillin' out. I take potshots from the doorway for a bit, then walk out a ways when I can't see it anymore. Oh hey, some dudes trying to open a gate! Somehow, I completed the events out on the edges there without dying, but I was loitering around 200HP for a long-rear end time.

Got to the top, dude I gave that grimoire thing to shows up and promptly does gently caress-all since I was hiding on the stairs near where the king's men were fighting the griffin, and it becomes the longest, slowest, most boring fight ever. Tenfold Shot with the occasional charge-in to melee on the few times it fell down. Grabbed the teleport stone doodad and hauled rear end out. Grabbed enough mushrooms to run and not look back, took a wrong turn, and stumbled into a friendly camp.

Got my team reassembled and ran back to Gran Soren. Not sure how the gently caress I survived that one. Thinking of trying Magic Archer out. Ranger's fun, but MA looks like it can be a load of fun too, once I level it up a bit. It's strange, when I started as a Strider, I was mostly full-dagger with only occasional bow use. That's pretty much turned completely around now. I much prefer the bow to my melee weapons.

This game, man. Running through the pitch-black crevices between cliffs after your lantern goes out, leading a nighttime assault on a ruined castle, and a battle with a giant monster that went from just before dawn to just after nightfall. It's a hell of a thing, the big fights in this.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

So I finally got back into the game. I'd stopped midway into the big griffin kill quest for the Duke's sidekick guy, halfway to the ruined castle. Picked up, ran my rear end towards it, promptly got killed by bandits in the cliffs. Well poo poo. Reset back at the outpost castle not far from Gran Soren, decide to just hoof it. Made it back, ran past the bandits, killed some undead, poo poo went down... and I arrived at the ruined castle without a loving single guy as backup.

With a griffin on the loose.

With two healing items left.

Well poo poo.

I sniped the harpies from outside of where they could apparently aggro on me, made my way in, nearly got killed by skeletal mages a few times, and finally make it up top where the griffin was chillin' out. I take potshots from the doorway for a bit, then walk out a ways when I can't see it anymore. Oh hey, some dudes trying to open a gate! Somehow, I completed the events out on the edges there without dying, but I was loitering around 200HP for a long-rear end time.

Got to the top, dude I gave that grimoire thing to shows up and promptly does gently caress-all since I was hiding on the stairs near where the king's men were fighting the griffin, and it becomes the longest, slowest, most boring fight ever. Tenfold Shot with the occasional charge-in to melee on the few times it fell down. Grabbed the teleport stone doodad and hauled rear end out. Grabbed enough mushrooms to run and not look back, took a wrong turn, and stumbled into a friendly camp.

Got my team reassembled and ran back to Gran Soren. Not sure how the gently caress I survived that one. Thinking of trying Magic Archer out. Ranger's fun, but MA looks like it can be a load of fun too, once I level it up a bit. It's strange, when I started as a Strider, I was mostly full-dagger with only occasional bow use. That's pretty much turned completely around now. I much prefer the bow to my melee weapons.

This game, man. Running through the pitch-black crevices between cliffs after your lantern goes out, leading a nighttime assault on a ruined castle, and a battle with a giant monster that went from just before dawn to just after nightfall. It's a hell of a thing, the big fights in this.

I'm not sure how far away from Bluemoon Tower you ran, but there's a riftstone right outside the doors to that place.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

They do have TV spots for it stateside, actually! I've seen one every so often on G4.

Wouldn't be surprised if that's the only channel that airs it though. :v:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, do the merchant pawn in the encampment ever get anything new in stock? I've got around 200 000 Riftcrystals in store and I'm simply curios whether it's only good for buying new hair/eye colours and renting higher level pawns?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, do the merchant pawn in the encampment ever get anything new in stock? I've got around 200 000 Riftcrystals in store and I'm simply curios whether it's only good for buying new hair/eye colours and renting higher level pawns?

Not aside from more things in the same categories you already mentioned, so give yourself some flashy red eyes.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Speaking of customization options, is the second row of colors supposed to be dlc or something? Cause the dude at the encampment doesn't have anymore options, yet there's a whole empty row. :confused:

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Not aside from more things in the same categories you already mentioned, so give yourself some flashy red eyes.
It's a shame. I was hoping for some more outfits or weapons for my pawns.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Captain McStabbin posted:

Speaking of customization options, is the second row of colors supposed to be dlc or something? Cause the dude at the encampment doesn't have anymore options, yet there's a whole empty row. :confused:

The long awaited black skin dye, only 80 xbucks :haw: (They're either DLC or going to remain empty forever, which would be pretty silly)

Sylphosaurus posted:

It's a shame. I was hoping for some more outfits or weapons for my pawns.

If you're disappointed in store stocks, a ton (pretty sure it's over half?) of the equipment is rare treasure chest drops. And there's two stores in Cassardis that sell things you can't buy anywhere else, but they'll be a bit on the weak side stat wise; on the other hand, classy white gloves! Woo!

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009

ChibiSoma posted:

Griffin Battle stuff

drat, I just wanted to write up how that quest turned out for me last night. I had no problems reaching the tower due to being horribly overleveled, but once I was in, that loving beast eliminated my pawns one by one like a flying Jason Voorhees. A couple of steps into the tower I press select to eat some herbs and notice one of my pawns is missing, what the gently caress. A minute later the second pawn is gone, misteriously. I exit the menu and see my fighter pawn standing on a bridge right before me as the Griffing swoops in and crashes the whole bridge just like that.
However, in my case, I had enough healing items and the guy with the Grimoire showed up and unleashed hell. But then I could not carry all of the loot back.

I was really irritated by that quest, during the first encounter with the Griffing I already almost killed him and the quest-givers told me "The beast is wounded and cannot be far, let's chase it!" And then the Griffing is at the other side of the planet, fully healed.

Should I change vocation again in order to keep the game challenging? I have Strider, Fighter and Assassin maxed, I did every sidequest I could before I visited the Duke, and I'm level 45. For the last couple of hours, nothing was challenging, I kill Ogres and Chimeras in 30 seconds and Bandits sometimes kill me if I'm very careless. And now after visiting the Duke it's like a dozen new sidequests popped up that sound like "just walk to the same places over and over again" like the Witchwoods.
Whoever made Thonk Thonk: Your pawn rules.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

sicDaniel posted:

I was really irritated by that quest, during the first encounter with the Griffing I already almost killed him and the quest-givers told me "The beast is wounded and cannot be far, let's chase it!" And then the Griffing is at the other side of the planet, fully healed.

As the griffin flies it's a pretty short distance.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

TehGherkin posted:

I hosed up this part, and only consider it if you want the best weapons for purchase. If you're the type that doesn't want the game "handed to you" in that sense ignore this. Even when I say that it implies you're breaking the game when you're not. You can get everything or better by ignoring what I say.

look up online how to get the golden idol, and give it to the main merchant. The dude you go to for everything, "they're masterworks all you can't go wrong guy.

Wrong direction on the slash. My apologies.

Veskit fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 16, 2012

Spike McMayhem
Jun 3, 2005

Mind if I rape ye, then?
So does post-game get any less.. dark? I can barely see poo poo during the day and it's seriously hampering with my quest to Dire Gouge everything.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Spike McMayhem posted:

So does post-game get any less.. dark? I can barely see poo poo during the day and it's seriously hampering with my quest to Dire Gouge everything.

Alter your brightness setting?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The post-game is for all the people who complained about the game being too bright.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Spike McMayhem posted:

Just leave your lantern on all the time, and give one to your pawn too.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Today I learned you can get to Gran Soren without doing the hydra head escort by going backwards through the quarry... only to find the guards won't let you in. Bastards.

Oh well, at least I took some low level pawns on a journey they will never forget.

The Doomhammer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 16, 2012

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

The Ur-Dragon is dead, for anyone not following gamefaqs. About 20 minutes left, apparently.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Captain McStabbin posted:

The Ur-Dragon is dead, for anyone not following gamefaqs. About 20 minutes left, apparently.
360 I'm assuming?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

gibbed posted:

360 I'm assuming?

Yup. Sorry, forgot about all that multiplatform jazz.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
So I just started a NG+. Is there anything I can look at that'll tell me all the quests? I wanna see which quests I missed, and which ones I haven't.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dogbutt posted:

So I just started a NG+. Is there anything I can look at that'll tell me all the quests? I wanna see which quests I missed, and which ones I haven't.

http://mail.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=372407

This is the best I've found so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Dogbutt posted:

This is PS3 specific, but I think it also works for XBox
http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/dragons-dogma/161222-dragons-dogma-trophy-guide-road-map-quest-guide-2.html

e: :argh: ^^^

• Locked thread