Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think this is the best worst idea I've seen in my search.

(Don't worry, not considering it. You should, though!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Noise Complaint posted:

I snagged the E30 325i I posted earlier for $750. It has a bit of rocker panel rot but absolutely no other structural rot at all. The strut towers are spotless!

Check the rear battery tray, as well.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
E30 body, E36 motor, E46 transmission? That sounds like a basketcase just waiting to be opened...

Seems like you could have a pretty awesome car for under what an actual E30 M3 costs though, even with all the cosmetic poo poo you'd have to fix.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

Lightbulb Out posted:

Check the rear battery tray, as well.

It's solid. The floors are all good too, the interior is a mess and pretty gross though. That's fun and easy to fix though.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

CornHolio posted:

In replacing my E36

echoplex posted:

I currently have an E36 Touring which I love love love, but it's done 250k and this job I'm on at the moment is punishing it a bit. I'll be done soon, and will have a bit of cash, so I'm looking at a newer Touring.

Having gone from e36 (2x 325tds saloon) - e46 (320d touring) I'd say there isn't much to choose between them. I swapped from the older car mostly because I was tired of getting 36mpg from a diesel (the e46 averages 43.4mpg, 47-50 if you drive sensibly) and felt like not having an old £1000 car anymore. I don't regret it but I'm not sure I would make the same decision again - I've lost far more in depreciation than I've saved in fuel, and a 6 year old 100k car isn't much different from a 16 year old 140k one at the end of the day. This is a bit diesel biased but here is my assessment:

Pro's:
Nicer interior, more toys.
6 speed box.
Economy
Bit more refined too drive, engine wise.
DSC.

Con's:
Higher price (less of an issue now though as e46 prices are dropping)
E36 felt like a better built car. Perhaps its just my perception but it felt more solid.
The 320d engine does have a bit of a time bomb thing going on with the swirl flaps (I've done 40k in it and still not got round to blanking them)
Less meaty feeling engine, feels slower despite more power.
DSC.

I'd say unless you are looking for a newer (more economical but potentially more problematic) diesel the difference is negligible between the two. They are both older now so a lot of both models are shagged and have mega miles on them, and e46 prices have dropped quite a lot since I bought mine.

stump fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 14, 2012

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
What should my S52 E36 M3 be idling at? It looks to be about 550 RPM which seems kinda low for me. When its hot out I get a flickering oil pressure light at idle. Hopefully this isn't something PITA like an oil pump.

Anybody with a similar experience and (hopefully) fix?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

juche mane posted:

What should my S52 E36 M3 be idling at? It looks to be about 550 RPM which seems kinda low for me. When its hot out I get a flickering oil pressure light at idle. Hopefully this isn't something PITA like an oil pump.

What weight oil are you using? I use 15-50 and occasionally see the flickering as well once the oil gets to its hottest point (200 ish). I have an oil pressure gauge in the cabin and it looks ok. I think the pressure light comes on under 7psi.

I would get the light on all the time in the winter once the 5-30 came up to temp, I just ignored it.

Also, mine looks like it idles at 550 too. There is a way to get a digital read out of the tach from the temperature unit. When I do that it tells me the idle is at 700.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

juche mane posted:

For what its worth my m52 idles at 550 as well. I always found that odd, my m54 idles higher than that.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

For turning into a track car, how much of a Bad Idea is it to get an E30 with 270k miles? Is that even worth taking in for a PPI? I'm hoping for something I can take to the track without a whole lot of maintenance hassle up front. It's priced under 3k and would probably go for less.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

ColdPie posted:

For turning into a track car, how much of a Bad Idea is it to get an E30 with 270k miles? Is that even worth taking in for a PPI? I'm hoping for something I can take to the track without a whole lot of maintenance hassle up front. It's priced under 3k and would probably go for less.

I wouldn't buy an E30 with 270k miles if you don't want to worry about a lot of maintenance up front. Unless of course you're buying a car that's already been completely refreshed, it will need some work. Old cars need maintenance, especially if you want to track it.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Yeah. I guess I'm wondering if there's going to be a significant decrease in maintenance burden if I wait for a, say, 170k mile car vs just going with this one. Is there a cutoff point where a car is not even worth looking at? If so, where would you place it?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
It really depends on the car and the previous maintenance done to it. From my perspective, it's worth just finding a nice clean one, replacing everything yourself, and then tracking it. They're old cars and at this point, poo poo will need replacing anyway, unless you find one that's really been taken care of.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
$2-3k seems like a lot of money for a car that's literally been driven far enough to go to the moon, even here in the midwest where BMW instantly commands a price premium because its a LUXURY CAR SUPER RARE FAST BEEMER, so unless it had a lot of work done to it recently, you're almost certain to find a better deal.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's listed as "2750 obo" so it would probably go quite a bit lower. But I'll probably pass and keep looking. Thanks for the answers.

E: I should have said, it's a 2 door 325is, which is why it caught my eye in the first place. Seems perfect for tracking, but for the milage.

ColdPie fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 15, 2012

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

ColdPie posted:

It's listed as "2750 obo" so it would probably go quite a bit lower. But I'll probably pass and keep looking. Thanks for the answers.

Like rscott touched on, prices vary by region but around here (NW Oregoon) an e30 that isn't either crapped out or super low mileage/OMG like brand new will go for between $1200-$3000. $2750 seems really steep for one with so many miles.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Decided to double check my facts and came across this disaster. :smith:

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3072192799.html

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

FIRST TIME posted:

Decided to double check my facts and came across this disaster. :smith:

http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/3072192799.html

If you're gonna say "the tires alone are worth $1000", why not mention them, at all, in the ad?

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003

Fermunky posted:

If you're gonna say "the tires alone are worth $1000", why not mention them, at all, in the ad?

"THERE'S MORE THAT I CANT THINK OF RIGHT NOW"

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006

voltron posted:

What weight oil are you using? I use 15-50 and occasionally see the flickering as well once the oil gets to its hottest point (200 ish). I have an oil pressure gauge in the cabin and it looks ok. I think the pressure light comes on under 7psi.

I would get the light on all the time in the winter once the 5-30 came up to temp, I just ignored it.

Also, mine looks like it idles at 550 too. There is a way to get a digital read out of the tach from the temperature unit. When I do that it tells me the idle is at 700.

I am using 5-30. Should I maybe put in a quart or two of heavier stuff?

voltron
Nov 26, 2000
Zapf gave me this account because he's a friend of the Indian-American people.

juche mane posted:

I am using 5-30. Should I maybe put in a quart or two of heavier stuff?

Yea, 5-30 is way too light. If next winter is a mild as this one was, I'm just going to stick with 15-50 and let the oil warm up a bit before heading off to work.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I use this stuff from the dealer in my e36 m3. I've never had problems or any oil light flickering. But I also live in Alaska, so it's not very 'hot' out, ever. Mine idles right at the 550rpm range as well. When I autocross I put in a little extra too. Supposedly it helps. How's the valve tick on your guy's cars? I only get it when I autocross. By the time I drive home it's gone.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Picked up my 325is this morning. gently caress Cloud 9, I'm on Cloud 10 about it. This car is seriously wonderful and I'm lucky to have found one so spectacularly well cared for. It's about as close to "new" as a car from 1994 can look and feel without costing tens of thousands of dollars in labor or facilities.

I also learned this morning- it has the M suspension package (not that it really matters, considering most of the components have been replaced at this point, although it's been done with OEM parts). A limited slip diff was an option for this model, but this one doesn't have it, as far as I know- but that's probably for the best. I can also turn the ASC off from the cockpit and pretend I'm the Stig (I will probably never do this).

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 16, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That interior looks in fantastic shape - I haven't seen one that good in years

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

dissss posted:

That interior looks in fantastic shape - I haven't seen one that good in years

As I mentioned in my original post, the POs were crazy (awesome) about maintenance and upkeep. They had the interior completely reupholstered a few years ago so it's almost like new. There are a few small things here and there (The steering wheel and shift knob are a tad ratty, I might replace/recover them sometime) but on the whole, I really can't complain. There's a box in the trunk full of the old seat leathers and they aren't nearly as pretty.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

So the E30 325i I picked up definitely has a limited slip rear. Was this an option? The build date is 08/88.

I fell in love with it as soon as I put the plates on it today. What a ridiculously fun car.

I gave it a good wash and we went on some twisty back roads with my friend's STi. I think this may be the best $750 I've ever spent.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Noise Complaint posted:

So the E30 325i I picked up definitely has a limited slip rear. Was this an option? The build date is 08/88.

There's a website that the POs of my E36 gave me (the name's written on a sheet in my glovebox, but I'm sure some goons here know it or you can probably google it) where you can enter the VIN of your BMW and it gives you a full readout of all of the options and specifics that your vehicle was initially purchased with.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

I would give you $1000 cash for your interior.

Nice catch.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I am supremely jealous of all you people able to find cheap E30s that aren't buckets of rust.
Also, I've usually been pretty indifferent to the E36, but drat that's a fine looking car.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

rscott posted:

$2-3k seems like a lot of money for a car that's literally been driven far enough to go to the moon, even here in the midwest where BMW instantly commands a price premium because its a LUXURY CAR SUPER RARE FAST BEEMER, so unless it had a lot of work done to it recently, you're almost certain to find a better deal.

Ain't this the loving truth.

So I am intermittently getting an ENGINE OIL LOW light when I first start my car and then the other day when I shut the engine off but but not the electrics so it popped up there as well. Usually it goes away in about 60 seconds. The engine oil is definitely not low. Do oil pumps fail? I know there's the deal where you are supposed to check the bolts holding it up are still in place, I need to do that but haven't yet. Anything else it might be?

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
That won't be the oil pump. Just the little level sensor thing in the bottom of the pan. I've had one go open before, and another get stuck, so it's probably nothing bad. They're really easy to replace on M60's too since the bottom of the oil pan is just like a plate on the bottom.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Did the starter on my 330i last night/this morning. I think I can sum up this job with one image:

I mostly followed this e46fanatics DIY, although I didn't remove the fuel filter skidplate. Took about 6 hours total. The most frustrating job I've ever done because it was 90% by feel - at least when I did an e30 325ix clutch I could see all the bolts I was taking out.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

A limited slip diff was an option for this model, but this one doesn't have it, as far as I know- but that's probably for the best. I can also turn the ASC off from the cockpit and pretend I'm the Stig (I will probably never do this).

Why wouldn't you want the LSD? It makes any BMW (or car, really) a hell of a lot more predictible to drive. On an e36 it's a very cost-effective performance upgrade if you can get a 4-bolt e36 m3 diff. Better acceleration and the handling will be noticably better when you push it.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

There's a website that the POs of my E36 gave me (the name's written on a sheet in my glovebox, but I'm sure some goons here know it or you can probably google it) where you can enter the VIN of your BMW and it gives you a full readout of all of the options and specifics that your vehicle was initially purchased with.

Are you thinking of realoem.com (parts database)? I don't know of a website that will actually tell you options based on VIN.

That is one immaculate car though, hard to believe it's almost 20 years old.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Crustashio posted:

Did the starter on my 330i last night/this morning. I think I can sum up this job with one image:

I mostly followed this e46fanatics DIY, although I didn't remove the fuel filter skidplate. Took about 6 hours total. The most frustrating job I've ever done because it was 90% by feel - at least when I did an e30 325ix clutch I could see all the bolts I was taking out.

The E30 starter is still a goddamn magnificent pain in the rear end without a boatload of extensions/swivels/stubby wrenches.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

This is the link to the site that tells you the options your car has with the last 7 digits of your VIN.

Mine was optioned with the LSD. That's kind of awesome.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Noise Complaint posted:

http://www.rubmw.ru/vincode/eng/

This is the link to the site that tells you the options your car has with the last 7 digits of your VIN.

Mine was optioned with the LSD. That's kind of awesome.

I never knew that existed, thanks.

edit: My 535i came with 4 options. Rear headrests, first aid kit, headlight aiming and Bavaria C business radio.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jun 16, 2012

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Crustashio posted:

Why wouldn't you want the LSD? It makes any BMW (or car, really) a hell of a lot more predictible to drive. On an e36 it's a very cost-effective performance upgrade if you can get a 4-bolt e36 m3 diff. Better acceleration and the handling will be noticably better when you push it.

I thought 325/328/m3 e36's all used the same diffs (different internals for lsd and gearing obviously). I know the cases are the same because I have two diffs. My understanding is that the only real differences are between the 316i/318i 'small case' and the rest of the lineup. What does 4-bolt refer to?

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
My red car came out of the factory one year and 5 days after I did. That's adorable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
That site says my car has "S544A GESCHWINDIGKEITSREGEL. MIT BREMSF. Cruise control with brake function" What does that mean? The guy said it has dynamic cruise control which I guess just means you can change the speed of the car with the lever. But what does "with brake function" mean? My car doesn't have that adaptive thing where it senses cars ahead.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Probably that it turn off when you apply the brakes?

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

revmoo posted:

I thought 325/328/m3 e36's all used the same diffs (different internals for lsd and gearing obviously). I know the cases are the same because I have two diffs. My understanding is that the only real differences are between the 316i/318i 'small case' and the rest of the lineup. What does 4-bolt refer to?

Accidently left out "input flange". Some m3s (and all 325i/328i) have a driveshaft with a u-joint at the diff input flange, and they are all 4 bolt. The rest of the m3s have a CV joint with a 6-bolt input flange.

4bolt:

6bolt:

Usually need to swap the diff output flanges as the e36 rear axles have slightly different bolt circle diameters, but that is very simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

revmoo posted:

It refers to the number of bolts on the diff input flange. Some had 6 most had 4.