Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

dutchbstrd posted:

Probably, try fake location. It has a free trial so you've got nothing to lose.

Tried both of them, neither worked for TuneIn radio for the game going on right now. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Has anyone else had this problem? Inside folders, badge icons for icons on the top row seem to get cut off. I just updated to 5.1.1 last night and re-jailbroke. I thought Infinifolder might be causing this but I can't imagine why.

Help?

Venkmanologist fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 15, 2012

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Venkmanologist posted:

Has anyone else had this problem? Inside folders, badge icons for icons on the top row seem to get cut off. I just updated to 5.1.1 last night and re-jailbroke. I thought Infinifolder might be causing this but I can't imagine why.

Help?

The last time that happened to me, I think it was Folder Enhancer or something (definitely a folder tweak). Did you re-install that after you jail broke again?

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

1997 posted:

The last time that happened to me, I think it was Folder Enhancer or something (definitely a folder tweak). Did you re-install that after you jail broke again?

Yeah, and it didn't fix. The only other thing I can think of was that I ran 'Shrink' for a while on the 5.0.1 jailbreak. But I'm pretty sure I disabled that tweak before updating and backing up.

edit: Uninstalling Infinifolder fixed it. Thats a bummer. I guess I could keep it installed and just use Shrink to make the icon badge smaller for the time being.

Venkmanologist fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 15, 2012

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.

Venkmanologist posted:

Yeah, and it didn't fix. The only other thing I can think of was that I ran 'Shrink' for a while on the 5.0.1 jailbreak. But I'm pretty sure I disabled that tweak before updating and backing up.

edit: Uninstalling Infinifolder fixed it. Thats a bummer. I guess I could keep it installed and just use Shrink to make the icon badge smaller for the time being.

Maybe try FolderEnhancer or ScrollingBoard instead? I personally use FolderEnhancer and I like it a lot, but I believe Scrollingboard is closer to the functionality of Infinifolders.

omg car crash
Jul 21, 2008

PRIDE after the fall. Champion, 2011. :dealwithit:
I bet this gets asked a lot, but how can I get my lock screen to look like the first picture in the OP?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

omg car crash posted:

I bet this gets asked a lot, but how can I get my lock screen to look like the first picture in the OP?

It's Typophone 4. You don't have to download it from DeviantArt either. Just search for it on Cydia.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone had problems with apps crashing after this latest jailbreak? Some were Apple's(Safari) and others were well known such as Fahrenheit weather and Words with Friends.

Before anyone asks, no they aren't cracked/pirated. WWF randomly works now but Fahrenheit won't despite re-installing from the App Store and some reboots. No one is complaining in the reviews however...

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is there a way I can filter out themes on Cydia?

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Peven Stan posted:

Is there a way I can filter out themes on Cydia?

Cydia->Sections->Edit

Turn on/off parts of themes that you want to. I don't think there is a way to filter out specific themes though, except of course, search.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Wolf on Air posted:

Speaking of "less buggy" I'm now on my third iPhone 4S (two warranty replacements) and guess what, it still echoes so badly when not using a headset that I can't even make a 10 second call because the other party just about goes insane.

Edit: development: I unplugged my battery case 2 mm and echo goes away. I turn on charging from said battery case while using it normally, echo goes away. This is pretty :allears:
Sounds like you need to get a replacement / different battery case instead of endlessly swapping your phone for something that's clearly not a phone issue.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Wolf on Air posted:

Speaking of "less buggy" I'm now on my third iPhone 4S (two warranty replacements) and guess what, it still echoes so badly when not using a headset that I can't even make a 10 second call because the other party just about goes insane.

Edit: development: I unplugged my battery case 2 mm and echo goes away. I turn on charging from said battery case while using it normally, echo goes away. This is pretty :allears:
Am I reading this right that you got two 4s phone warranty replacements for echoes that are caused by a battery case? Did you consider getting the case replaced?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It clearly sounds like an issue with the case, but to be fair, it sounds like he only realized the battery case stuff after getting the two replacements.

Wolf on Air
Dec 31, 2004

Combat Instructor
Armed Forces, Time-Space Administration Bureau

Diabolik900 posted:

It clearly sounds like an issue with the case, but to be fair, it sounds like he only realized the battery case stuff after getting the two replacements.

Correct. Customer service pretty much went OH OKAY SIR WE'LL HAVE TO REPLACE IT and I let my brain be shut down by that point and then it just went on autopilot until I had accumulated two repairs and customer protection laws kick in and let me cancel the contract outright, by which time I actually had to start thinking again. Always a bad idea to outsource the thinking, but I've had other things on my mind too (like my car overheated and started leaking coolant this thursday and god knows what else has been going on). Plus after the deluge of news reports from 2011 of echoing problems with iPhone 4S I didn't think I needed to suspect the case.

randyest posted:

Am I reading this right that you got two 4s phone warranty replacements for echoes that are caused by a battery case? Did you consider getting the case replaced?

Correction: Echoes that are caused by electric connection to the dock connector from a battery case, something about it makes the phone start feeding back the incoming audio to outgoing internally, it's not exactly an acoustic problem. It's very odd. As for the case, I imported it directly from korea via ebay and paying postage to send it back would cost about the same as buying another. It's not a massive issue anyway since now I know what the workaround is and I usually talk on headsets anyway, and then it's not an issue. I think I'm just going to keep it until it wears out.

Jailbreak talk: PagePusher and FakeClockUp are a pretty sweet combination.

I tried out Typophone ForX which seemed to be the 5.1 compatible offering, and immediately afterwards had my first Safe Mode experience, so that's going back off. It's also terrible together with IntelliScreenX.

TetherStatus gets rid of the blue bar and turns it into a status icon instead, nice. You might forget you have tethering turned on with this on though. GrabberApp actually works if you want to use a different camera app from the lockscreen. And I bought CallBar, and it's more or less what I wanted, though it could be a bit less clunky, though iSmart Dialer is even uglier. Does the job, though. ScreenDimmer rules.

And Siri in :norway: is hilarious.

Wolf on Air fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jun 16, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
TetherStatus is awesome. I've written it down as one of my official "must have" tweaks.

The terrible blue bar (which blocked things, messed withe size/layout of programs, etc) was partially why I never messed with the built-in tethering. MyWi let you have a tiny status bar icon.

Now I can have a tiny status bar icon with the built-in tether as well! It's funny, the screen shot for TetherStatus on Cydia looks horrible; a stretched-out image with "4G LTE 3G" as the carrier, and a big, stretched circle indicator for tethering. The actual tweak looks much better than what the screenshot shows.

Also, what you plug into the dock connector can mess up a lot of devices. On one of my first vacations, I discovered that my 3GS went nuts when I plugged a certain charger into it. "Nuts" being that the screen seemed to be accepting random input. I'd touch a folder, but an app on the other side of the screen would launch. I'd press a single letter on the keyboard, and a bunch of random letters would start being entered, etc.
My 3GS also gave the "Charging is not supported with this accessory" error with an official Apple charger.
I'm not worried about my 3GS, because it only went nuts with that 1 particular charger, and only refuses to charge with that 1 particular Apple cable. I have dozens of cables and charger (and even battery cases) that it works perfectly fine with.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Xenomorph posted:

TetherStatus is awesome. I've written it down as one of my official "must have" tweaks.
Nice; thanks. I wonder if this lowers tethering battery usage in TetherMe like it does when you enable the status icon instead of the flashing blue bar in MyWi.

Jamit
Jan 26, 2004
Bingo!
I've been searching around, and reading through the first/last few pages of this thread, and was wondering if anyone could help me. My mute switch is kind of broken. The phone no longer rings, which doesn't bother me, but it does vibrate on its own whenever near the switch is touched. This is a 3GS which is out of warranty.

Is there anyway with a jailbroken phone to disable the button entirely, while leaving the phone on vibrate? I'm guessing as a hardware problem I'm poo poo out of luck, but I've came a across a few apps that allow you to bypass the hardware button, but I wasn't sure if there's any that can stop it from working, or more importantly allow the phone to stay on vibrate without the handset randomly buzzing. Anyone got any ideas?

Edit : Shortly after posting this I found rinerswitchtool which more or less does what I want. Makes the mute switch a rotation lock, and allows the vibrate to be turned on in the software. Seems to be working away happily now!

Jamit fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 17, 2012

steamed horse
Dec 4, 2004

Recently I've found my notification centre hidden behind my home screen, which falls down to reveal it as opposed to the notification centre falling over the home screen.

It's not the worst thing in the world but I'd like to know what's likely to be causing it. I've looked in winterboard and lockinfo but can't find what would be doing it. Any ideas?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jamit posted:

Edit : Shortly after posting this I found rinerswitchtool which more or less does what I want. Makes the mute switch a rotation lock, and allows the vibrate to be turned on in the software. Seems to be working away happily now!

You've already solved your problem but you could've gotten around this on an unjailbroken phone by using the built-in accessibility features.

On page 155 of the current user manual it describes AssistiveTouch where you can toggle ring/silent from a menu on the screen

e: Oh your problem is the switch is going off all the time, sry

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 17, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Jamit posted:

My mute switch is kind of broken.
Anyone got any ideas?

Yes, I have an idea; have you tried fixing it?

They sell parts to fix it. Apple will fix it. Other shops will fix it. You may be able to fix it with just a tiny screwdriver and a suction cup.

How is it broken? Is it the plastic switch itself? Something behind the switch? Is the body damaged?

I don't know how long you've had to put up with a broken switch, or how long you've been looking into software work-arounds, but for less than $20 and 1 hour of your time, you may be able to permanently fix it.

Altoid
May 14, 2002
I had asked this when the jailbreak for 5.1.1 first came out and there was too much movement and my question got skipped...Bad time to ask questions.

I have an iPhone 4S untethered 5.0.1. I want to upgrade to 5.1.1. Battery issues and security fixes are the reason. I'm not unlocked currently, but can I use redsn0w to preserve baseband 1.0.13? I can't find a guide, could someone link if it's possible?

Or should I just upgrade and get 2.0.12? Has Musclenerd said anything? I don't seem to remember if he did. I know best practice is to just preserve but it's not unlockable now...Is he developing the next ultrasn0w for 1.0.13 only or also 2.0.12 as well? Do we even know? I've tried searching.

Really, I want unlock for resale value. Maybe overseas usage too but not as big of a deal. Which leads me to another question, if I upgrade to the "5" or whatever comes out next will AT&T unlock my 4s? Are they doing that for early upgrades an iphone 4 when people get 4s? They should unlock it when the contract is over (which I'd be buying myself out of) or do I still have to wait two years since I bought?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
First, as far as I know, there has NOT been an unlocked baseband in years, and there may never will be. All the unlocks are for ancient poo poo from the iOS 4.0.1 days.

Second, the "limera1n pwned DFU mode" is used to load a custom firmware (with the baseband removed) for older iDevices - something you cannot do with a 4S.

Third, the baseband updates on the 4S fix some icky bugs just as much as the main OS updates do. Better cellular reception, less disconnects, etc.

Forth, if you signed a two-year contract for your 4S, at the end of that two-year contract, AT&T will unlock it. No jailbreaking required.

Fifth, there is a $39.99 Gevey SIM for 4S on iOS 5.1.1 / baseband 2.0.12. So if someone wants an unlock, you can still be at 5.l.1/2.0.12 and use any SIM you want.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Okay, this is mental. I'm trying to jailbreak my newly upgraded ipad 2 (the old one, wifi, 32gb). The 5.1.1 upgrade went smoothly, but when I tried to run Absinthe for the jailbreak it said my backup was encrypted and that I needed to remove the password. When I tried to do that in iTunes, it asked me for a password. But nothing works - I've put in every password I ever use, and nothing.

Googling suggests that iOS just grabs a random password from one of your apps and uses it to lock the backup.

... :rant:

Now this is weird enough, but it gets odder - I finally picked a password that worked, and it said something about 'deleting backup' with a progress bar, so I quit (feeling happy I'd defeated Steve Jobs' mind game) but then that password stopped working.

It seems to be a not uncommon problem - this guy had an elaborate procedure that seems to have worked for him, but surely it can't be that complicated?

HOPE ME GOONS

Edit: Ok, an iCloud backup followed by a factory restore seems to have fixed it. Still stupid though.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 18, 2012

The Gardenator
May 4, 2007

Yams Fan
Does Absinthe require 32bit java to be installed? I only have 64bit installed and the jailbreak "button" is grayed out.

E: I think the problem was due to the usb 3.0 port that I was using. I installed 5.1.1 and erased all the data and settings. Of course, I have no sim card that works on at&t so I had to use redsnow to activate it. That just finished, now I will attempt to finish the steps in the op.

The Gardenator fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jun 18, 2012

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
Are there any wallpaper rotation apps for iPad? Bosspaper has not been updated in ages and only works with iPhones and older OS versions.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
Good news for anyone with an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS that shoehorned the 6.15.00 iPad baseband onto their device (which causes loss of GPS, ability to do regular updates through iTunes, etc).

You can downgrade now!
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/25350690843/0615-fun

Run the newest redsn0w on your iPhone 3G or 3GS (with or without 6.15.00) and it will put 5.13.04 on there. This is the last software-unlockable baseband for those devices, back from iOS 4.0.2.

So you can keep your unlock, your GPS, and have the ability to load stock IPSWs if desired.

If you have 6.15.00, it goes straight to 5.13.04.
If you have something newer on there, like the latest official baseband, 5.16.05, it will actually install 6.15.00 first, then downgrade back to 5.13.04.

This works for everyone except the iPhone 3GSes made in late 2011 (after mid-August?). Those have a new baseband chip that will fail if a 6.15.00 install is attempted. You can easily verify when your 3GS was made by serial number.

Nevett
Aug 31, 2001

gramlock posted:

Recently I've found my notification centre hidden behind my home screen, which falls down to reveal it as opposed to the notification centre falling over the home screen.

It's not the worst thing in the world but I'd like to know what's likely to be causing it. I've looked in winterboard and lockinfo but can't find what would be doing it. Any ideas?

Zephyr does this. If you have that, there's a toggle for the behaviour in Settings.

Altoid
May 14, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

First, as far as I know, there has NOT been an unlocked baseband in years, and there may never will be. All the unlocks are for ancient poo poo from the iOS 4.0.1 days.

Second, the "limera1n pwned DFU mode" is used to load a custom firmware (with the baseband removed) for older iDevices - something you cannot do with a 4S.

Third, the baseband updates on the 4S fix some icky bugs just as much as the main OS updates do. Better cellular reception, less disconnects, etc.

Forth, if you signed a two-year contract for your 4S, at the end of that two-year contract, AT&T will unlock it. No jailbreaking required.

Fifth, there is a $39.99 Gevey SIM for 4S on iOS 5.1.1 / baseband 2.0.12. So if someone wants an unlock, you can still be at 5.l.1/2.0.12 and use any SIM you want.

I know there was an unlock for one of the early basebands for iphone 4, which I kept all the way to ios 5 and sold. I think that was the last one, and sounds like I shouldn't get my hopes up for 4s. Basically reading this as I need to move on and just upgrade, which I will do this week.

But didn't get a full answer if I buy an iphone 5 or whatever is next when it comes out and I pay early upgrade fee, will AT&T unlock my iphone 4s? Are they doing that with 4 for people who buy 4s now? I know after two years they will but will they do it early if I pay early upgrade fee for the 5?

Thanks for answering the other stuff.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Altoid posted:

I know there was an unlock for one of the early basebands for iphone 4, which I kept all the way to ios 5 and sold. I think that was the last one, and sounds like I shouldn't get my hopes up for 4s. Basically reading this as I need to move on and just upgrade, which I will do this week.

But didn't get a full answer if I buy an iphone 5 or whatever is next when it comes out and I pay early upgrade fee, will AT&T unlock my iphone 4s? Are they doing that with 4 for people who buy 4s now? I know after two years they will but will they do it early if I pay early upgrade fee for the 5?

Thanks for answering the other stuff.

That's the thing, there has been unlock for only *one* iPhone 4 baseband, and that is the original it shipped with back in June 2010. No basebands in two years have been released that are unlockable.

AT&T absolutely refused to unlock my 3GS until it's IMEI was 24+ months old. I'm three years into my contract (got my 3GS in June 2009, but my current one was replaced by Apple in May 2010), so I doubt paying any ETF to get out of the contract would help. They didn't care that I was more than up-to-date with my contract.

If you got a 4S in October 2011, they will unlock your 4S in October 2013.

Altoid
May 14, 2002

Xenomorph posted:

That's the thing, there has been unlock for only *one* iPhone 4 baseband, and that is the original it shipped with back in June 2010. No basebands in two years have been released that are unlockable.

AT&T absolutely refused to unlock my 3GS until it's IMEI was 24+ months old. I'm three years into my contract (got my 3GS in June 2009, but my current one was replaced by Apple in May 2010), so I doubt paying any ETF to get out of the contract would help. They didn't care that I was more than up-to-date with my contract.

If you got a 4S in October 2011, they will unlock your 4S in October 2013.

Ouch, so no point in keeping my baseband and staying at an old version. Getting so tired of the battery being the worst I've ever had on an iphone. Never had such an issue and I've owned a 3GS, 4 and now 4s. Time to update this week.

That's insane they won't let us unlock sooner, I guess I'll try arguing over the phone when the time comes to resale. Thanks again.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005

Xenomorph posted:

Good news for anyone with an iPhone 3G or iPhone 3GS that shoehorned the 6.15.00 iPad baseband onto their device (which causes loss of GPS, ability to do regular updates through iTunes, etc).

You can downgrade now!
http://blog.iphone-dev.org/post/25350690843/0615-fun

Run the newest redsn0w on your iPhone 3G or 3GS (with or without 6.15.00) and it will put 5.13.04 on there. This is the last software-unlockable baseband for those devices, back from iOS 4.0.2.

So you can keep your unlock, your GPS, and have the ability to load stock IPSWs if desired.

If you have 6.15.00, it goes straight to 5.13.04.
If you have something newer on there, like the latest official baseband, 5.16.05, it will actually install 6.15.00 first, then downgrade back to 5.13.04.

This works for everyone except the iPhone 3GSes made in late 2011 (after mid-August?). Those have a new baseband chip that will fail if a 6.15.00 install is attempted. You can easily verify when your 3GS was made by serial number.

God drat. I think I have an updated model. Do you know the quick way to check!?

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

wizard sticks posted:

God drat. I think I have an updated model. Do you know the quick way to check!?

From the link:

quote:

If you have an iPhone3GS and if digits 3-5 of its Serial Number are 134 or later (xx134…), then you should NOT try to install the 06.15 baseband on your 3GS! It will brick your radio, preventing both the downgrade from working and normal iPhone software from using it as a phone! Be warned!

The newer 3GSes have some new chip in them that 6.15.00 fails to install on. It leaves it sorta-half done. Not enough to work, but enough to prevent the re-install of a corrected firmware!
It kills GPS, Cellular, and WiFi. You can only load stuff via the file system, and it works offline-only.

You could try to take it back to Apple. If you got AppleCare+, they will give you another one for $45. With regular AppleCare, you could try to say "it just randomly stopped working, and I have no idea why!" - maybe they will swap it.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Sorry I should have clicked the link.

My 3GS is out of applecare now, so I would be poo poo out of luck. I have to take this phone with me to Bermuda when I move, then buy whatever new iPhone comes out, so I'm hesitant to try this - but without unlocking my phone won't work over there anyways.

My serial # is QR12710---- so technically I am on an old 3GS. I wonder if this is 100% accurate in deciphering if it's an old or new 3GS? If I brick this phone I would be without a phone for two months.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

wizard sticks posted:

I wonder if this is 100% accurate in deciphering if it's an old or new 3GS?

Go to http://ih8sn0w.com/ and grab iDetector.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
New bootroom - thanks for that, otherwise I would have bricked my phone!

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!
I have a weird problem after upgrading to 5.1.1 and jailbreaking it.
After I upgrade and jailbreak 5.1.1 and restore my phone to a previous backup, my main screen's icons are kind of semi transparent.
Everything is hard to see due to that.

I'm an idiot. Apparently I had Dim Icons ticked in my Winterboard. Although this have never happened before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

mrg220t fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 19, 2012

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

wizard sticks posted:

New bootroom - thanks for that, otherwise I would have bricked my phone!

Which "new" bootroom?

* There is a 2009 bootrom (original release to late 2009).

* There is a 2010 bootrom (late 2009 to late 2011). This was known as the "new bootrom" for a long time (and still gets identified as the "new bootrom"), but it does not brick with the 6.15.00 firmware. Most 3GSes probably have this.

* There is a 2011 bootrom (late 2011 to now). This is the one that bricks.

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Whenever my body starts to feel sick, I just stop being sick and be awesome instead.
I'm looking for something that will make my "slide to unlock" slider more minimal, it takes up way too much of the lockscreen by default. You guys using any slider themes that look nice?

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled

bazaar apparatus posted:

I'm looking for something that will make my "slide to unlock" slider more minimal, it takes up way too much of the lockscreen by default. You guys using any slider themes that look nice?

I just use LockInfo. It gets rid of the slider altogether. Same gesture, just no visual indication other than the lock screen UI widgets fading out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bazaar apparatus
Dec 1, 2006

Actually, I did find one that I liked after all. It's called 'Clear Lockscreen iOS 4 & 5'

• Locked thread