Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I'm trying to get this POD 2.0 to make some Met sounds, particularly Orion from their Master album, but I just don't know the settings. Is there anything close to that or am I just going to have to buy a MIDI cord and dig around on the Line6 presets site. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

50hz
Feb 18, 2011

Low Pass
I'm wondering if anybody who's experimented a bit with really aggressive bass sounds might know how to get close to the kind of almost hollow, yet heavily distorted sound that the low note in these bars http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zzx7kt5w8_Y#t=149s manages to achieve. I hope you know what I mean, it's quite different from most other DnB bass sounds. I've been trying to get close to it with Izotope Thrash, but there's definitely more to it than amp emulation, although there is that feel to it. It's only a very short extract but if anybody could help me I'd be very grateful.

edit: I don't know how to make the link a real link. : /

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Panterica posted:

I'm trying to get James Hetfield's tone using a Mesa Mini Rectifier through a Mesa Rectifier 2x12 cab. Does anyone know the approximate settings (gain, treble, bass, etc) he uses?

An example: http://bit.ly/wVdwQz

I can't really help with amp settings as he is a cagey bastard, but a lot of Hetfield's tone comes from how he plays. You need a really thick pick (.9 at least- his signature picks are 1.4) and really dig in. Here's Devin Townsend showing you how (from 3 minutes in):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=102mdX-UEzI

Also remember to keep the gain down less than you would think to retain clarity at volume.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

50hz posted:

I'm wondering if anybody who's experimented a bit with really aggressive bass sounds might know how to get close to the kind of almost hollow, yet heavily distorted sound that the low note in these bars http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=zzx7kt5w8_Y#t=149s manages to achieve. I hope you know what I mean, it's quite different from most other DnB bass sounds. I've been trying to get close to it with Izotope Thrash, but there's definitely more to it than amp emulation, although there is that feel to it. It's only a very short extract but if anybody could help me I'd be very grateful.

I've been getting close in Reason using a Sawwave down 2 octaves with a tiny bit of chorus. Added some digital and tape distortion to it (+the distortion unit's built-in amp emulation).

They probably did something similar, then resampled it and continued to work with the sample.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So now that I'm really beginning to dive into my synth toolset and finally squeezing some really satisfying sounds out of what I have, I figured it's time to find out about a couple of... maybe 'classic' is the wrong word, but classic, ubiquitous synth sounds that I just can't seem to nail down for all their perceived simplicity.

The first one jogged my memory when I heard it in this remix of Amnesia. It's the buzzy, octaved thing right at 1:38 and then again in a lower octave three or four bars later. I KNOW I've heard this timbre before - I want to say in more than one Prodigy tune. It also sounds stupidly simple, like it's all in choosing the right distortion and reverb over a saw wave and that's it. Do my ears deceive me or am I just hearing a TB-303?

The second one I've heard in a few Breaks and D&B tunes, and in other places like video games (Mass Effect...) for its spacey tone. Off the top of my head, it's briefly used here, immediately after the cocking handgun. Kind of sounds like a phone ringing at a specific interval. My limited experience in synthesis tells me it's a square wave LFO modulating oscillator pitch, but again I can't seem to nail down the interval or initial oscillator timbre. And again I have a feeling this patch is common enough to have a name, much like the 303 or 'WhatThe?' hoover.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of synth/sound this is. It's the one right at the beginning of the song (not the bass and not the drums):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4H672vkoY

I've heard it (or a similar sound) in more of the tracks on this OST as well, but I can't seem to recreate it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

50hz posted:

The main characteristic of this style of DnB is detuned unisoned 'analogue' waveforms run through a notch filter (or often split into a few notch filters with different settings, multiband style) with a slow lfo. What synth/software are you using?

spammy davis jr
Mar 21, 2009

NTT posted:

I'm trying to get this POD 2.0 to make some Met sounds, particularly Orion from their Master album, but I just don't know the settings. Is there anything close to that or am I just going to have to buy a MIDI cord and dig around on the Line6 presets site. :smith:

If it's the rhythm guitars, it'll take some work. From what I can tell, that's Mesa/Boogie - quick search says he used a Mesa/Boogie Mark IIc+. The Pod 2.0 page says that model is in your unit. Guitar probably had active pickups, too.

The other hurdle is that he definitely at least double (if not triple) tracked that part, so it sounds a lot fatter than it is when it's just one track.

His pick attack sounds like he's really digging into the strings, which makes it a lot more "extreme" sounding, too.

Just don't overdo the drive/gain/whatever. And don't cut the mids too much. Both of those will help you retain definition and balls in your quest for his tone.

Panterica
Oct 24, 2003

Gh0st_Preacher posted:

If it's the rhythm guitars, it'll take some work. From what I can tell, that's Mesa/Boogie - quick search says he used a Mesa/Boogie Mark IIc+. The Pod 2.0 page says that model is in your unit. Guitar probably had active pickups, too.

The other hurdle is that he definitely at least double (if not triple) tracked that part, so it sounds a lot fatter than it is when it's just one track.

His pick attack sounds like he's really digging into the strings, which makes it a lot more "extreme" sounding, too.

Just don't overdo the drive/gain/whatever. And don't cut the mids too much. Both of those will help you retain definition and balls in your quest for his tone.

Cool, thanks a lot for this info. I'll dick around with the gain a bit. I think I've definitely got it set to high and I'll add a bit of mid as I did cut it pretty much completely.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
This is kind of a stupid request, but could anyone give me tips on how the dubstep artist Shekel did... any bass synth on this track? I recall reading that he uses Massive, but there's so many weird effects on it that I have no clue even what waveforms to start with. I'm pretty sure there's a vibrato set with a high enough rate to create a sort of pseudo-FM effect.

edit: After listening to this track, which contains some similar sounds, I'm convinced it's the m-talking wavetable in Massive. But I have no idea where to go from there.

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 21, 2012

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Any chance for the images from the original tutorials to get remade or rehosted, or has this thread's time passed? This was like that book I always meant to read but never made the time to, and now Waffleimages took a huge piece of it away.

I have the first three of Laserjet's presets, from back when he was called Yoozer, if posting them is worth anything. I don't know how many more there ended up being, but it makes me sad that I missed out on anything in here just from being lazy.

I had a sound to ask about in here and everything.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Your Computer posted:

I can't for the life of me figure out what kind of synth/sound this is. It's the one right at the beginning of the song (not the bass and not the drums):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4H672vkoY

I've heard it (or a similar sound) in more of the tracks on this OST as well, but I can't seem to recreate it.

"House" organ with some noise and high resonance on the filter. What synth/VST are you trying to duplicate it with? The easiest way would be to sample it off of a copy of the first Deeee-lite album. In general, sine waves (slight detune between them), strong attack on the amp and filter envelopes, a fairly high mix in for a noise oscillator and set the resonance to right before it self-oscillates.

(Seriously though, sample it off a Deelite album, that's probably what the guy who made the song did)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

"House" organ with some noise and high resonance on the filter. What synth/VST are you trying to duplicate it with? The easiest way would be to sample it off of a copy of the first Deeee-lite album. In general, sine waves (slight detune between them), strong attack on the amp and filter envelopes, a fairly high mix in for a noise oscillator and set the resonance to right before it self-oscillates.

(Seriously though, sample it off a Deelite album, that's probably what the guy who made the song did)

I've never really sampled before, but I tried to take a sample off of the first album's song "What Is Love?" and it sounds great. Really gives me that Bomberman Hero vibe, even if it doesn't sound exactly the same.
Going to try some more sampling from now on. Thanks!

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I'm looking to recreate the intro synth here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdw9wJ3Yxs0

I'm using Logic, so if anybody has an idea of knobs to fiddle with in an ES2 synth, that'd be helpful but anything else would be cool too.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

f#a# posted:

I'm looking to recreate the intro synth here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdw9wJ3Yxs0

I'm using Logic, so if anybody has an idea of knobs to fiddle with in an ES2 synth, that'd be helpful but anything else would be cool too.

For the first sound that comes one, stack an electric piano patch with a brass/synth pad patch.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Long shot, but if anyone has the Rubberbandits latest CD there's a synth in the song "Double Dropping Yokes" I'd like to figure out how to make, the higher pitched one that shifts sounds. I can't find the song on youtube outside of lovely live rips. :(

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Long shot, but if anyone has the Rubberbandits latest CD there's a synth in the song "Double Dropping Yokes" I'd like to figure out how to make, the higher pitched one that shifts sounds. I can't find the song on youtube outside of lovely live rips. :(

The sound that comes in when the dude starts rapping on the first verse? Sample of a train whistle, the pitch shifting is either done by moving a bend wheel up and down real fast or modulating the pitch with an lfo that has a delay. 2 octave bend range would be my guess.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Wow, seriously? Got an example of the kind of train whistle you're talking about?

Also I'm freaking amazing you were able to pick up on that.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Wow, seriously? Got an example of the kind of train whistle you're talking about?

Also I'm freaking amazing you were able to pick up on that.

It's not all that amazing. I think you whipper snappers just don't hear as many trains as old timers like us. Same thing with Your Computer not instantly recognizing a house organ sound when he heard one (you're quite welcome, BTW).

This is the first thing that came up on freesounds. It's not really the iconic chooo-choooo! kinda noise, nor is it a particularly good recording, but it was the first thing that came up.

http://www.freesound.org/people/laurent/sounds/25068/

If you're serious about getting the sound right, find a western movie or some such with a train in it.

This is what it sounds like with a minute of pitch shifting in soundforge (not a great example, but I don't feel like putting the hour or so into programming Reaktor to get it right, that's your job)

My mistake, the pitch bend is only over 1-1 1/2 octave, not two. Also you want an lfo modulating the pitch and the envelope (amplitude), try and get them to sync with the tempo if you can.

Finally, there's a slightly detuned saw wave backing the train whistle sound.

At least that's what I can gather from the youtube video.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Having grabbed a bunch of train whistle samples recently for a project, I can happily say that there are masses of steam train horn and whistle samples available for free online if you google around; usually catalogued by more details than one could ever imagine: engine, whistle, line type, season, etc. (Thanks, trainspotters!)

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Sizone posted:

It's not all that amazing. I think you whipper snappers just don't hear as many trains as old timers like us. Same thing with Your Computer not instantly recognizing a house organ sound when he heard one (you're quite welcome, BTW).

This is the first thing that came up on freesounds. It's not really the iconic chooo-choooo! kinda noise, nor is it a particularly good recording, but it was the first thing that came up.

http://www.freesound.org/people/laurent/sounds/25068/

If you're serious about getting the sound right, find a western movie or some such with a train in it.

This is what it sounds like with a minute of pitch shifting in soundforge (not a great example, but I don't feel like putting the hour or so into programming Reaktor to get it right, that's your job)

My mistake, the pitch bend is only over 1-1 1/2 octave, not two. Also you want an lfo modulating the pitch and the envelope (amplitude), try and get them to sync with the tempo if you can.

Finally, there's a slightly detuned saw wave backing the train whistle sound.

At least that's what I can gather from the youtube video.

Awesome, thanks! I can't get the thing you posted to tindeck to work either off tindeck or as a download though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Just remember: Only use samples after you clearly understand any and all licensing that they may have. :eng101:

One wouldn't want to get into legal trouble now, would one?

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Wayyyy behind you (what I'm making right now heavily samples copyrighted material and I figure if it sounds good in the end I can record something similar). :suicide:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hey man, I've been there. I do sound design for a living, and while we have a pretty expansive library of sounds I'm legally allowed to use (they're royalty-free sound packs, like Hollywood Edge, Tonstrum, some Boom Library, etc), sometimes, I learn that we don't have a specific sound. I know that I can ALWAYS find something on freesound.org, but I can't use it, since it's usually a 'not for commercial use' licesne, and the last thing I would ever want would be for someone to call me out on it, and not be able to prove that it was legit.

I'm sure freesound has some 'use this, I (the submitter) doesn't care!', but I just don't bother at all anymore. Plus, who's to say they uploaded it in earnest?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
In this case there is a totally royalty/copyright means to get the sound that has the added advantages of providing a means to annoy your neighbors and look awesome on stage.

I present you with
the wooden train whistle:

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey man, I've been there. I do sound design for a living, and while we have a pretty expansive library of sounds I'm legally allowed to use (they're royalty-free sound packs, like Hollywood Edge, Tonstrum, some Boom Library, etc), sometimes, I learn that we don't have a specific sound. I know that I can ALWAYS find something on freesound.org, but I can't use it, since it's usually a 'not for commercial use' licesne, and the last thing I would ever want would be for someone to call me out on it, and not be able to prove that it was legit.

I'm sure freesound has some 'use this, I (the submitter) doesn't care!', but I just don't bother at all anymore. Plus, who's to say they uploaded it in earnest?

I've got loops from a section of tibetan monk chanting which I took from a CD. It sounds great, and finding an alternative sound is really hard. If it really comes down to it and it starts sounding really good I'll hit up a nearby monastery.

http://soundcloud.com/wafflehound/avalokitesvara-2

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Anyone know how to make the in-between sound seen at about 2:30 in this video? I'm trying to recreate it in Massive without much luck.

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

Anyone know how to make the in-between sound seen at about 2:30 in this video? I'm trying to recreate it in Massive without much luck.

(just listening on laptop speakers) sounds like a lowpass saw with a bit of resonance with something like chorus on it to me - probably more than that but that's probably a good starting point.

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007
Here's another example with a simpler sound an an explanation of how he did it. Still can't translate it into massive though. :(

e. I managed to get something similar that sounds okay, I need to gently caress with the envelopes a bit so it doesn't sound choppy. All the settings should be visible on this, the tube and the chorus at default poisitons, I just like how the chorus sounds. v:shobon:v

e2. Here it is in action: http://soundcloud.com/wafflehound/goa-thing

WAFFLEHOUND fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 24, 2012

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I've been digging this electro track by David Carretta recently. I am trying to recreate the bass sound that kicks in at :15.

Sounds like a square wave and some interesting mod wheel action, that's the most I can figure :). Any help?

real nap shit
Feb 2, 2008

tehschulman posted:

I've been digging this electro track by David Carretta recently. I am trying to recreate the bass sound that kicks in at :15.

Sounds like a square wave and some interesting mod wheel action, that's the most I can figure :). Any help?

Sounds to me just like a saw with a bit of a boost to the low end.

also I can't tell if it's just the youtube quality but there may be a faint white noise layered on top

mottbag
Nov 11, 2009
I'm having heaps of trouble getting a drum machine sound I like, particularly the closed hihat sound that starts at 0.12 in this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1rc41Vt2Mk

I have ableton live and a Boss Dr. Rhythm Dr-660 Drum machine.

Should I be looking at samples? Perhaps a vintage drum machine - something used by 80's coldwave/post-punk bands? Is it just a matter of the right eq?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

mottbag posted:

I'm having heaps of trouble getting a drum machine sound I like, particularly the closed hihat sound that starts at 0.12 in this song:

Should I be looking at samples? Perhaps a vintage drum machine - something used by 80's coldwave/post-punk bands? Is it just a matter of the right eq?

Pretty sure that's an accoustic kit and that's why you're having trouble getting a drum machine sound like it. I think it's more a matter of the right reverb than the right eq.. Sorry, I think my sinus and throat cold has migrated to my ears which is making it kinda hard to discern anything right now. Did they do a 12'', extended dance mix of that song? It would help to be able to hear the drums with more isolation.

omgwtf
Nov 30, 2003
waht
Could anyone help me figure out these two synths (from Tobacco) in Reason or Live?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoMw2IOkqIo&t=23s (which is sort-of similiar to: )https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxl1wbIhViM&t=43s

and intro synth (not the vocoder) in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mqk2tewN1A

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

mottbag posted:

It sounds like one of the many sample based drum machines from the mid-80s. Listen to demos for Roland TR-707, LinnDrum, E-Mu Drumulator, Oberheim DMX (I'm guessing it isn't this though), plus a few others. I recognize that hi-hat but I can't place it.

Hogscraper
Nov 6, 2004

Audio master

omgwtf posted:

and intro synth (not the vocoder) in this video
That last one sounds like a transistor organ with an envelope filter on it. Possibly an FM synth recreation of a transistor organ.

Try these and report back...

Martinic Combo Model V: http://www.martinic.com/combov/
Martinic Combo Model F: http://www.martinic.com/combof/

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

mottbag posted:

I'd guess at an appropriately pitched and processed Sequential Drumtraks or Alesis HR-16.

Be sure to check out cabasa/tambourines as well as closed hi-hats.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

ynohtna posted:

Alesis HR-16.

I think that's it!

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've been loving the Bastion soundtrack of late, and I was wondering if anybody could identify a sample for me.

I've heard the Middle eastern-styled oud(?) (edit: I take that back, I'm pretty sure it's a bouzouki, if anybody cares) parts at about 0:26 and 0:47 before, so I know they weren't composed specifically for the soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-aexLJKwME

Anybody know what they're from or where they exist on the web?

MockingQuantum fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wondering if you guys could help me out with trying to find the effect petal or EQ settings or something to replicate the sound that Dean Ween uses in the song "The Meadow" by Z-Rock Hawaii when his guitar comes in for the solo. It's got what sounds to me like some kind of real clean high treble sound but I can't replicate it :(.

You can hear it coming in here until it goes into the solo at 2:38. Part of me thinks its just some telecaster on the bottom pickup position but maybe you guys can help :v:. Thanks!!

• Locked thread