Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

FancyMike posted:

It's really good. I didn't sell mine because it was bad, I was just using too few of the features to justify the amount of space it was taking up on an already tight pedalboard. Also yeah, that infinite reverb thing is very post-rocky

I've only got 3 pedals at the moment (RV-7 for reverb, DD-7 for delay and You Dirty Rat for distortion), and they're sitting on my computer desk in my room. I kinda have a bedroom studio setup going on. I've also got my studio monitors and my audio interface and other stuff on my desk besides my computer monitor / keyboard / mouse, so it's not like I have a ton of space, but taking out the RV-7 and putting this thing in wouldn't be too much of a hassle, I don't think.

I'm really looking forward to getting this now. I'm in the process of trying to complete an album now, but I've felt like something's been missing from my overall sound lately. Hopefully this completes it :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

JerrysMom posted:

Right now I have

Squier Tele Thinline Custom
\/
Boss ME-25 (I only use the tuner, volume pedal, phrase looper and wah-wah) - looking to replace the effects I actually use and then take the ME-25 home to use for recording
\/
Ibanez DS7
\/
Yerasov 9000v OD and (or) distortion
\/
EHX Holy Stain (I use it mostly for reverb, but also the tremolo on a song or two)
\/
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy with Boss FV-500L as an expression pedal for fun
\/
Amp

Questions:
* I just ordered a Small stone which I guess should go between the OD/distortion pedals and the Holy Stain?
* I want to use the Boss FV-500L as an expression pedal with the Holy Stain as well (not simultaneously). Can this be done if I got a channel switcher like an EHX Switchblade (would the TRS cables used for expression pedaling work in that?)
* I'm not really happy with the Ibanez DS7. I would say it's a decent distortion pedal and it sounds like I want it to when playing chords but not on single strings/riffs. I play generic post-punky indie and use the DS7 as the first/light distortion effect - Drive knob almost all the way down. Then I use the Yerasov 9000v on a couple of songs when I really want to make noise. I'm thinking I should replace the DS7, but with what? Anyone have a good recommendation for a pedal suitable for just that light crunch that sounds good both with chords and riffs? OD instead, like a Tubescreamer?

Regarding the Small Stone, I've got mine between dirt and delay, so I guess what you've thought would work.

Regarding the DS7, what kind of amp do you have? Can't you get the light dirt out of it? Does it have an effects loop? If the answer to the last 2 questions is yes, dial the drive knob on the DS7 to all the way down, and put at least the reverb and delay into the effects loop (I've got my Small Stone in the loop as well, but YMMV). Then drive the amp for the right amount of grit.

If this doesn't work, however, consider trying out something like a Tubescreamer or Boss SD-1.

JerrysMom
Jul 11, 2001

Frank Caskelot posted:

Regarding the Small Stone, I've got mine between dirt and delay, so I guess what you've thought would work.

Regarding the DS7, what kind of amp do you have? Can't you get the light dirt out of it? Does it have an effects loop? If the answer to the last 2 questions is yes, dial the drive knob on the DS7 to all the way down, and put at least the reverb and delay into the effects loop (I've got my Small Stone in the loop as well, but YMMV). Then drive the amp for the right amount of grit.

If this doesn't work, however, consider trying out something like a Tubescreamer or Boss SD-1.

It's a Peavey Envoy 110. I bet I could get some dirt out of it but I'd rather not rely on it, since I'm only using it temporarily.

Thanks for the tip on the SD-1, I normally like Boss pedals so I will cross-shop that with a newer TS if I can't find an older one second hand!

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
I have a boss super chorus that won't turn off. It works and sounds fine but whether it's powered by a battery or a wall power supply it still won't turn off when you stomp it. Is it safe to assume the switch needs replacing?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Krustic posted:

I have a boss super chorus that won't turn off. It works and sounds fine but whether it's powered by a battery or a wall power supply it still won't turn off when you stomp it. Is it safe to assume the switch needs replacing?

It could just be the connection between the switch and the circuitry has developed a fault.

Wikkee!
Oct 17, 2006

P.S. : Shut up, Dan.

Krustic posted:

Check to make sure the wire from your battery isn't wrapped around the switch. I got my HM-2 for $30 because the store thought it was broken, and that was seriously the only issue.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
If you've got (and know your way around with) a multimeter the switch is easy enough to check - it's a single pole momentary action pushbutton.

Maybe the wires have become disconnected: the switch is connected between pin 17 on the board, and the ground (sleeve) of the input jack. From the schematics I've got this is the same for both the old analogue and newer digital versions.

It's also possible that the flipflop circuit or bypass switching FETs may have developed a fault.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
Where can I get a relatively precise effect for doing intelligent harmonies? I've looked at the Eventide stuff, but they've got all sorts of weird features that I don't want. Just the harmonizing.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone but I'm still stumped on this one. I know a little bit of basic electronics but I've never fixed or built any pedals before. I opened it up and all the wires seem to be well connected. No pitted soldering, no disconnected wires, nothing obvious. The switch read 1.026 mega ohms so I assume its okay. The only thing that look suspect at all is the black wire solder at the switch to the input jack. I'm gonna try dropping a bead off solder on it but if that doesn't work then ill throw it back in the box it's been in for the last 6 years. Funny the hm-2 was mentioned because I got one last week and I really like it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oops, I forgot to post a trip report about my EH Cathedral: It's the best pedal I've ever owned so far. I can finally make the post-rock-like textures I've been wanting to make for such a long time. Totally worth the purchase.

And the Cathedral plugged into my RV-7 is even better :swoon: For some reason, I find the RV-7 to be pretty lackluster on its own, but when paired with this thing, I get absolutely beautiful textures.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Krustic posted:

The switch read 1.026 mega ohms so I assume its okay.

Well that doesn't sound right. Looks good to me. Apparently Boss switches have a 1Meg resistor inside them? :iiam:

If you can measure the resistance at the switch terminals, it should be a high resistance (i.e. the same as if your meter leads aren't connected to anything) 1 Meg with the switch up, and close to 0 ohms with the switch down.

There is a 1Meg pull-up resistor (and 100ohm current limit resistor in line) between the 9V rail, (8v on the new version), and pin 17 on the board. are you sure you're not just measuring that? with the 1M in the switch, this puts pin 17 around 4.5V.

Therefore: with a battery connected and the switch up (i.e. not pressed), you should measure around 4.5V at one terminal of the switch, and 0V on the other.

With the switch pressed down, you should measure 0V on both sides. If both of these conditions are true, the problem isn't in the switch.

Here's the relevant part of the schematic:

This is from the analogue version, but the digital is pretty much the same. all the upward pointing arrows are +9V

Edit: measured my Boss CE-5 (Close enough... I don't have a CH-1) and updated.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jun 11, 2012

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Does anyone have any experiences with the Vox ToneLab ST and Zoom G3? I'm looking for some kind of multi-effects pedal to play around with at home and I'm leaning towards the G3 since it has loop functions and a built in drum machine that I may or may not use. I haven't gotten to try either pedal out yet, but so far I like the layout and feature set of the Vox but really want some loop action. Am I better off going with the Vox and getting a separate loop pedal down the road or is the G3 decent enough to start with?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Therefore: with a battery connected and the switch up (i.e. not pressed), you should measure around 4.5V at one terminal of the switch, and 0V on the other.

With the switch pressed down, you should measure 0V on both sides. If both of these conditions are true, the problem isn't in the switch.

I've jumped to the conclusion that the contact in the switch is bad. I get 8.2 volts on one side and 0 on the other terminal. Also the resistance stays at 1.024 megaohms and doesn't change when switched. Its had the same problem since I bought it off a friend for 10 dollars ages ago. Even though it's the analog one I really just want to fix it to sale or trade. Thanks for the help I'm going to buy a replacement switch now.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
Yeah, sounds like it's the switch. Try shorting the switch terminals momentarily with a paperclip/etc. just to be sure - The pedal should turn on and off then.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

mono posted:

Does anyone have any experiences with the Vox ToneLab ST and Zoom G3? I'm looking for some kind of multi-effects pedal to play around with at home and I'm leaning towards the G3 since it has loop functions and a built in drum machine that I may or may not use. I haven't gotten to try either pedal out yet, but so far I like the layout and feature set of the Vox but really want some loop action. Am I better off going with the Vox and getting a separate loop pedal down the road or is the G3 decent enough to start with?

Whilst both units have received good reviews, just from looking at the specs, I'd lean more towards the Vox. First of all, you have the expression/volume pedal which will give you more versatility (especially as it can be linked to almost any parameter) as well as adding a 'fun factor'.

Second, the overall tones (it has a goddamn tube in there!) are going to sound better and you will find it a bit more instantly useable- I've had a few Zoom's in my time, and sublety has never been one of their strong points. Obviously, you are gonna be tweaking sounds anyway, but I've always found Zooms to be a bit 'plastic' sounding, particularly the drum sounds. This is just my taste, however.

Thirdly, resale value on a Vox is always gonna be better for if/when you decide to move on, and a looper pedal (like the Boss RC2 or Digitech JamMan Solo) will have some more versatility, plus again, better resale value. It would also mean that you can keep your looper pedal if you sell the multifx, and can also experiment with different positions in your chain.

However, the workflow on these pedals is different and that is a key part in deciding which way to go. The Zoom G3 acts like three regular stompboxes glued together, so each switch toggles that effect on/off. Conversely, the Tonelab cycles up and down through patches, so, for example, if you like a distortion tone on there, and want the same setup but with a chorus pedal in the chain, you would duplicate the patch to the slot above or below and add the effect, whereas on the Zoom it is simply a case of turning that module on.

If you were thinking about using the USB audio interface capabilities, the Zoom comes with Steinberg Sequel (essentially a very cut down, but still very useable version of Cubase) whereas the Tonelab comes with very in-depth patch management software, but no DAW.

Also look into the Boss ME-25 (my multi of choice), it's a similar price point to the G3, but has a similar workflow to the Vox and comes with an expression pedal (though it's nowhere near as versatile as the Tonelab's). Ships with Sonar LE too.

At the end of the day, I'm afraid it comes down to the old 'try both and see which you prefer'- whilst I don't mind cycling through patches, you may find the Zoom's 3 in 1 approach more useable, and you might find you prefer the sound too.

Hope this was some use!

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

NonzeroCircle posted:

Hope this was some use!

Definitely, thanks for the write-up. I thought about the Vox's expression/volume pedal and realized that the Zoom actually supports an add-on pedal. I have a Line6 one laying around somewhere but I'm not sure if it needs a Zoom specific one. I'm going to try to get to Guitar Center later today to try them out. I watched some demo videos with the Zoom and I did get the impression that some of the effects were tinny sounding, but it's tough to judge from a YouTube video being watched on a tablet. I'll report back if I get to try them out later.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
So long as you have a stereo cable then connecting your Line 6 should be no problem- I used to use a Boss one with my old Zoom bass multifx.

Don't get me wrong about Zoom, if it weren't for my old 707 (somehow I've acquired another of these over the years) and 505 (the bass one), then I would probably have never got into effects beyond distortion. I think for a lot of us who started playing in the late 90's, a Zoom will have featured in our setup for at least a little while.

Modelling in general has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years so go with what feels and sounds right for you- I'm a gearhound so the Vox appeals to me on that basis, but if you want simplicity (never a bad thing!) then the G3 is almost certainly the better option, especially if you already have an expression pedal kicking about.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've got a Zoom G9.2tt I tried running in the FX loop of my Marshall JVM. It pretty much sucks all the high treble out of the tone and even though I've tried tweaking it for a long time, it never really sound good, always just decent.

crm
Oct 24, 2004

I'm trying to replicate a good early Pearl Jam / Temple of the Dog sound.

What would you guys recommend?

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

So I tried out the Zoom and it's pretty sweet. Unfortunately they didn't have the Vox for me to try. The G3 has a shitload of pedals built in, and from what I gathered there was too many screechy sounding gain pedals. I really liked having all the different modulation effects though and I was able to get some pretty awesome sounds out of it. I'm still on the fence about it until I can try the Vox.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

mono posted:

So I tried out the Zoom and it's pretty sweet. Unfortunately they didn't have the Vox for me to try. The G3 has a shitload of pedals built in, and from what I gathered there was too many screechy sounding gain pedals. I really liked having all the different modulation effects though and I was able to get some pretty awesome sounds out of it. I'm still on the fence about it until I can try the Vox.

Yeah, I have the G3 on my board as an 'everything else' pedal after my fuzz and overdrive. It works great for that, but if you're picky about dirt you might not want to rely on it (or any multifx for that matter). I honestly haven't used it that much because my guitar band is on hiatus, but let me know if you have any specific questions and I can try to help you out. The main effects I use on it are tremolo, reverb, and delay (and bit-crusher :getin:).

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

Alright so I ended up going with the G3. The idea of being able to hook it up to my computer and edit the patches was a huge selling point and I'm dialing in my own as we speak :waycool:

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Awesome dude, post up some samples!

niff
Jul 4, 2010
not sure if you fellas have seen this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal

not a new concept in itself, but the list of builders supporting it is staggering. this could make entry into the beautiful world of boutique analog effects much, much cheaper.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that's devi ever's thing. Beautiful. Wish I had the spare dosh.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

niff posted:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviever/console-ii-cartridge-based-multi-fx-guitar-pedal

not a new concept in itself, but the list of builders supporting it is staggering. this could make entry into the beautiful world of boutique analog effects much, much cheaper.

Not only have I seen it, I'm a backer and I'm working with her on it as liaison from Wampler Pedals :) We believe in the concept and we generally make a lot of (very, very good) "conventional" effects - distortions, drives, amp-inspired pedals, a comp that's hard to not find on a Nashville board these days, etc.

Pretty far from Devi's range of freakout capable fuzz family, but we still think there's something very cool here (and that diversity is going to make it really awesome). Plus, the cart for DIY people is going to be exciting, if it pans out well. Go from screwing around with an idea to sharing it with everyone, even people who don't know the hot from the cold end of a soldering iron, without the normal overhead for that kind of thing (which, to be blunt, is staggering if you take it seriously, or virtually guaranteed to be unprofitable if you don't charge what your time's worth).

While the funding goal has been met, totally recommend becoming a backer anyway to help sail right over it and offer some wiggle room. Kickstarters can have a surprisingly high overhead when a lot of physical reward package tiers are involved.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jun 21, 2012

skudmunky
Apr 28, 2010

niff posted:

This is a really cool idea. Being able to quickly prototype different fx circuits and not have to worry about hooking them up in an enclosure, getting knobs and pots and switches soldered in correctly, is fantastic.

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD
I need a new fuzzy stoner sounding distortion pedal. I'm looking at the big muff germanium since I'd get a good deal on a distortion and overdrive in one. But some recs on different things/ideas before I buy it would be cool too just to see what else is out there.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
You should check out fuzzhugger.com. There a few different makers on there, so you should definitely be able to find something distinctive and cool. I just got my first fuzz from them, a 1134 which I don't think fuzzhugger(fx) makes anymore, but it's just so much better than my v1 Cool Cat Fuzz.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Manky posted:

You should check out fuzzhugger.com. There a few different makers on there, so you should definitely be able to find something distinctive and cool. I just got my first fuzz from them, a 1134 which I don't think fuzzhugger(fx) makes anymore, but it's just so much better than my v1 Cool Cat Fuzz.

Which was a Frantone Peach Fuzz clone, a respectable and very cool sounding pedal.

Tom takes a pretty straightforward concept (it's out there, I'm not going to talk on it here because I'd feel disrespectful doing so, but it's a similar approach that Devi takes in some of her more straightforward fuzzes) and works a little bit of practical magic with it to get it to behave very differently than you'd normally expect. The Algal Bloom is probably my top recommendation for starters with FuzzHugger, it's one of his early designs but it's also a fantastic sounding pedal. Lots of range on it.

The 1134, drat do I regret selling mine. :sigh: It had such a cool sound. Hint of a suboctave brought out by adjustment and playing.

I was one of the first dudes to use the Great Wall and still think it's one of the best contenders for BIGGER muff tone, like, drat, that pedal is fuzz heavy.

You can get spendier and get some remarkable fuzzes, but Fuzzhugger has some of the most affordable units around and a lot of variety in what they do. I've heard a great deal of feedback from doom/sludge guys regarding our (Wampler) Leviathan, you can see it on youtube. There are a -lot- of Big Muffs out there of different flavors, if you get one might want to be careful to get one that sounds massive, they can differ in the way the clipping and tone control work together and so you get some that are almost RAT-ish, others that are really heavy. EQD Hoof was a great thick one, heeeavy. I've got a ProTone Monster Fuzz which I don't think is even made anymore but which sounds something like an IC Big Muff crossed with a Boss HM-2 or HM-3. Sawtoothy in the low frequencies, narrowish sweet spot but massive sound.

I am trying hard not to "advertise" the Leviathan because we make it. But check it out anyway, please, 'cause... it's really good, and a little slept on, people don't see us as a fuzz brand really but Brian worked his rear end off making a new approach to generating a fuzzy distortion and I wish more people would try it. Those who do seem to like it. But it's spendier.

Little Big Muff is actually a really nice sounding one, iirc? Like, surprisingly big sound, at least circa 2007, it was thicker-voiced than the NYC big-box. But EHX is nimble as gently caress and always changing what they're doing inside the boxes, can't pin 'em down too much. I bet that's still a good sounding pedal, though.

I really don't know if I like the EHX Germanium. It's basically EHX looking at what a lot of boutique fuzz makers are doing (and I mean dudes like Tom at FuzzHugger, etc.) and mass-producing that. On the one hand, getting more people to recognize that some voltage control can get you cool textures is great, but it does also run into taking bread out of the mouths of the guys who inspired that departure from convention in the first place. Eh, I dunno.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jun 30, 2012

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Samael Jackson posted:

I need a new fuzzy stoner sounding distortion pedal. I'm looking at the big muff germanium since I'd get a good deal on a distortion and overdrive in one. But some recs on different things/ideas before I buy it would be cool too just to see what else is out there.

What's your budget look like? Also your gear? How heavy do you need to be? Fuzz pedals are generally fairly simple circuits compared to other effects so there's basically a million boutique/small builder options out there.

I've heard mixed things about that ehx pedal, but never played one myself.

Fuzzhugger is indeed very awesome. I've got an Algal Bloom and an Arc Flash. Neither is too stoner sounding but I'd recommend checking out the Algal Bloom even if it's not exactly what you're looking for. That pedal is just so good and it's unreal how well it handles chords for a fuzz pedal.

smallsound/bigsound is a another builder sold on Fuzzhugger.com and I've got their Team Awesome Fuzz Machine. It's built more for bass and that's what I mainly use it for, but it still sounds really good on guitar. After reading your post I went and played with my fuzzes a bit and that one is definitely the best I have for the stoner thing. A close second though is the Boss ODB-3. Just make sure not to blend any of the clean signal in and the thing can get pretty heavy. The EQ on it is super useful. I'm not sure why it was marketed as an 'overdrive' though because it's much more of a distortion and doesn't do a subtle sound very well. Also King Buzzo plays the ODB-3.

I know the BAT stuff, the Pharaoh and LSTR are pretty popular for that kind of thing and at $150 pretty reasonable. A switch to run Germanium or Silicon in the Pharaoh if you're tied to the Ge thing and it's a really good looking pedal.

There are some more expensive options, right now the only fuzz pedal I really want to buy is a Mountainking Megalith. That thing is super heavy, but I can't quite afford it or justify spending that much money on yet another fuzz pedal right now. I've seen a few of the Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder around here and there and that's another really sweet one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Fuzz Hugger is a great place, couldn't be happier with them and the Great Wall I got (made, long story)

Samael Jackson
Aug 26, 2008

POWER OF THE MACK DAD

FancyMike posted:

What's your budget look like? Also your gear? How heavy do you need to be? Fuzz pedals are generally fairly simple circuits compared to other effects so there's basically a million boutique/small builder options out there.

I'm pretty much resetting all my stuff. I've had a cheap half stack for a while and just used all the head effects. I want to sell that for a more modestly sized amp and get some new pedals. Probably a ampeg or marshall off craigslist. The only other pedal I have right now is a dunlop cry baby, and I'm looking at the boss digital delay.

I'm not looking for way super heavy. Probably more of a truckfighters or kyuss sound than weedeater. I listened to the algal bloom demo video the other day and I liked it, so I would definitely consider that.

blue.eyed.ash
Jul 17, 2006

Winner of the 'How Badly Will A Phone Game Milk Us Idiot Cash Cows?' Contest!

Answer: About $70USD for a bad character that unlocks the grind for another.

extra letters: star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-lord star-l

Samael Jackson posted:

I'm pretty much resetting all my stuff. I've had a cheap half stack for a while and just used all the head effects. I want to sell that for a more modestly sized amp and get some new pedals. Probably a ampeg or marshall off craigslist. The only other pedal I have right now is a dunlop cry baby, and I'm looking at the boss digital delay.

I'm not looking for way super heavy. Probably more of a truckfighters or kyuss sound than weedeater. I listened to the algal bloom demo video the other day and I liked it, so I would definitely consider that.

Seconding the Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh, I had one for a while and it could get really throaty. I also have a Dwarfcraft Eau Claire Thunder, and it was my favorite fuzz 'til I picked up a Blackout Effectors Twosome, and the Musket in particular is the best Muff I've ever played. They have a variant called the Blunderbuss, which is less tight and more...fuzzy (but not more distorted, if that makes any sense).

Fuzzhugger boxes are great, too - I had a Great Wall and found it really similar to the Pharaoh. I've also heard good things about the Devi Ever Hyperion, the Earthquaker Hoof and the Earthbound Supercollider. There's lots of great options for you out there.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Yes, the Blackout Effectors Twosome is one of the most versatile fuzz/distortions I have ever played. I also prefer the Musket side, but the Fix'd has a lot of options too.

My favorite fuzz is from a small boutique company called Pirate Pedals...it's called the Black Beard Fuzz and can do everything from really crisp overdrive to making your guitar sound like a loving thunderbolt. It was pricey but worth it.

Here's the website.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
PAGING AGREED, PAGING AGREED, Or anyone else who knows stuff about EHX stuff. So I've this EHX/Sovtek Big Muff for the last 6 or 7 years, before my friend owned it for about 5 or 6, he found it at a swap meet and paid $25 or so for it. It sounds incredible and just like a Big Muff should.

My question is, how old is this (ballpark), is there anywhere to look for a serial number to get a date? How much might it be worth? I've seen some old ones go for a pretty good sum of money.

If it's worth money I might sell it since I don't use it a lot and there is other stuff I would use way more out there.

Hollis Brownsound fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 27, 2012

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
http://www.kitrae.net/music/music_big_muff.html

This site will probably help you identify which era of muff that one is.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Looks like a Tall Font Russian. You'd probably get 200-300USD for it.

edit: whoops, didn't see you have a replacement knob. The original knobs are impossible to source nowadays, so this is probably worth a little less

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I actually have the original knob for it but It's broken and won't stay on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
Is it missing a grub screw to hold it on? That's a pretty cheap fix.

If it was me and I was looking to sell I would even epoxy it back together if it was in pieces.