Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

thelightguy posted:

Can anyone recommend a free DNS host that provides dyndns services of some sort? I've been using WTFdns for some time, but their SSL certificate has expired and their dyndns no longer updates. It appears that the service has simply been abandoned by the parent company.

Is it still goon run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Is it still goon run?

It's not really abandoned, I hired someone to help me migrate to a new domain and to powerdns but they didn't do their job properly so now I'm trying to get it all done myself but I honestly don't have enough time.

edit:

thelightguy posted:

Can anyone recommend a free DNS host that provides dyndns services of some sort? I've been using WTFdns for some time, but their SSL certificate has expired and their dyndns no longer updates. It appears that the service has simply been abandoned by the parent company.

dyndns should now be working, the cert will have to stay until I'm done migrating and re-writing some code though. sorry!

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 16, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

thelightguy posted:

https://dns.he.net/

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ElCondemn posted:

It's not really abandoned, I hired someone to help me migrate to a new domain and to powerdns but they didn't do their job properly so now I'm trying to get it all done myself but I honestly don't have enough time.

edit:

dyndns should now be working, the cert will have to stay until I'm done migrating and re-writing some code though. sorry!

Hey, I don't mind a free service going down once in a while. Awesome, thanks!

corgski fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jun 16, 2012

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
or you could ditch the goon solidarity and use a free service that doesn't go down, like he.net

goddamnit shsc

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Rufo posted:

or you could ditch the goon solidarity and use a free service that doesn't go down, like he.net

goddamnit shsc

But moving four whole zones requires so much effort. /whine

(Could be worse, I could be hosting my sites on dreamhost.) :v:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rufo posted:

goddamnit shsc

Technically we weren't down, we just weren't accepting updates. We're designed so that actual downtime is pretty limited, the UI however has it's fair share of problems and isn't redundant.

But feel free to use whatever other service you want, I don't make money from this or really get anything other than complaints when the UI doesn't work perfectly.

edit:
also looks like he.net supports AFXR which we don't have yet, and we don't do validation for you (though these are some of the features I'm currently working on)

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 17, 2012

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
Then why advertise and offer a service that you know is sub par? If you don't make money, and only ever get complaints, it's only a matter of time, most likely, until you abandon it :(

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Then why advertise and offer a service that you know is sub par? If you don't make money, and only ever get complaints, it's only a matter of time, most likely, until you abandon it :(

I don't advertise it. But I run it because it's a fun project to work on when I have free time, I don't plan on abandoning it any time soon. I've been running it for about 4 years now.

Also when I started wtfdns other services didn't provide what I did, and most still don't give you a full DNS service with any type of record available.

slartibartfast
Nov 13, 2002
:toot:
Anybody have any strong opinions about Firehost? I'm thinking about moving a .edu WordPress site and about 20 subdomains over to them.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I'm looking to start up a blog but I'm not all that up-to-date on the latest tools. I want to build it myself - that is I don't want to use blogger or wordpress or any of those services (I already have a domain and personal page). I'm well versed in the html/css/php side of things so coding isn't a problem. However in all my previous experience with web design, doing updates involved either making local edits and uploading the new content via ftp, or editing the files directly through the host's file manager-type interface.

Both of these methods turn me off on the idea of making regular blog updates. Surely in 2012 there has to be a better way?

(Is there a blogging meagathread somewhere? Maybe that would be a better place to ask)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cyril Sneer posted:

I'm looking to start up a blog but I'm not all that up-to-date on the latest tools. I want to build it myself - that is I don't want to use blogger or wordpress or any of those services (I already have a domain and personal page). I'm well versed in the html/css/php side of things so coding isn't a problem. However in all my previous experience with web design, doing updates involved either making local edits and uploading the new content via ftp, or editing the files directly through the host's file manager-type interface.

That's a lot of effort for something nobody's going to read even know exists.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

If you really must, build a simple CRUD application with the CakePHP framework and slap a pretty facade on it.

Congrats. You just reinvented the wheel.

Once you get that out of your system, install Wordpress on your server and have something that actually works.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Cyril Sneer posted:

Both of these methods turn me off on the idea of making regular blog updates. Surely in 2012 there has to be a better way?

(Is there a blogging meagathread somewhere? Maybe that would be a better place to ask)

If you need to ask how to make a dynamic page, you should re-evaluate your claim that "coding isn't a problem".

This could be a neat educational project, but it won't be productive in the sense that you will get something as feature-rich or nice as if you just put wordpress on your domain.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

Surely in 2012 there has to be a better way?

The better way is called wordpress.

You can install that on your own server too, if that's what you mean when you said you don't want to use a "service".

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Cyril Sneer posted:

I want to build it myself - that is I don't want to use blogger or wordpress or any of those services (I already have a domain and personal page).

Just point a subdomain at a hosted tumblr or wordpress or whatever tbh and use your mad css skillz to make it look like part of your site

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

Bob Morales posted:

That's a lot of effort for something nobody's going to read even know exists.

I can't tell if this is just a shot at blogging in general or some comment regarding SEO and keyword recognition or something :confused:

thelightguy posted:

If you really must, build a simple CRUD application with the CakePHP framework and slap a pretty facade on it.

Congrats. You just reinvented the wheel.

Once you get that out of your system, install Wordpress on your server and have something that actually works.

Delta-Wye posted:

If you need to ask how to make a dynamic page, you should re-evaluate your claim that "coding isn't a problem".

This could be a neat educational project, but it won't be productive in the sense that you will get something as feature-rich or nice as if you just put wordpress on your domain.

I get that wordpress has more features but I'd like to understand some of the behind the scenes aspects. Reinventing the wheel can be useful when its for learning purposes.

Rufo posted:

Just point a subdomain at a hosted tumblr or wordpress or whatever tbh and use your mad css skillz to make it look like part of your site

Yeah, this seems to be what most other people do and/or have recommended.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Cyril Sneer posted:

I get that wordpress has more features but I'd like to understand some of the behind the scenes aspects. Reinventing the wheel can be useful when its for learning purposes.

Go hog wild: Building a blog with CakePHP - Part 1: Getting started

Or from the CakePHP Cookbook: http://book.cakephp.org/1.3/en/view/1528/Blog

corgski fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Jun 19, 2012

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
What's the best cheap dedicated server for VPN/seedbox? I basically just need something with decent bandwidth and traffic limits, extra storage space is a plus. Performance doesn't really matter, needs to be dedicated so that I can install an OpenVPN server.

Right now I'm thinking of the Kimsufi 2g.

https://www.kimsufi.ie

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

TheRevolution1 posted:

What's the best cheap dedicated server for VPN/seedbox? I basically just need something with decent bandwidth and traffic limits, extra storage space is a plus. Performance doesn't really matter, needs to be dedicated so that I can install an OpenVPN server.

you can install openvpn on KVM-based VPSs, and on OpenVZ-based VPSs if tun/tap support is enabled on the host (ask)

note that kimsufi only include 5TB/mo in the cost, read the footnotes

also check out hetzner who offer a very similar deal

also check out the dedicated/vps offers forum on webhostingtalk, though they're full of fly-by-night companies

Rufus Ping fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jun 19, 2012

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Rufo posted:

you can install openvpn on KVM-based VPSs, and on OpenVZ-based VPSs if tun/tap support is enabled on the host (ask)

note that kimsufi only include 5TB/mo in the cost, read the footnotes

also check out hetzner who offer a very similar deal

also check out the dedicated/vps offers forum on webhostingtalk, though they're full of fly-by-night companies

OpenVPN can also be installed on PV Xen servers. I'm running it with no issues.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

DarkLotus posted:

OpenVPN can also be installed on PV Xen servers. I'm running it with no issues.

yeah I forgot about xen

iirc you can avoid the 5TB/mo restriction imposed by OVH/kimsufi by going through a reseller (assuming they don't impose their own cap)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Rufo posted:

yeah I forgot about xen

iirc you can avoid the 5TB/mo restriction imposed by OVH/kimsufi by going through a reseller (assuming they don't impose their own cap)

There are two methods of buying, 95th percentile (ovh.com open to all country, FR ver) and 5TB/10TB/etc then 10Mbps (uk/ie) I think. Resellers that have multiple servers = they all share network ports.

I'd much rather go with the metered then 10Mbps version and buy alone. Not to mention virtually every ovh reseller is a scam

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
Linode is offering free $100 credit to new signups: http://blog.linode.com/2012/06/16/linode-birthday-giveaway/

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011

TheRevolution1 posted:

Follow up to this question. If my girlfriend wants to share the server with me would it cause any problems? Mainly with both using OpenVPN at once. Or if we are both trying to add/remove torrents at the same time ect. I read that you can possibly add a 2nd IP to your server that can help with multiple users but I'm not sure if I understood that correctly.

Also most cheap VPS seem to have low bandwidth caps compared to the kimsufi 2g.

TheRevolution1 fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jun 19, 2012

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

TheRevolution1 posted:

Follow up to this question. If my girlfriend wants to share the server with me would it cause any problems? Mainly with both using OpenVPN at once. Or if we are both trying to add/remove torrents at the same time ect. I read that you can possibly add a 2nd IP to your server that can help with multiple users but I'm not sure if I understood that correctly.

Also most cheap VPS seem to have low bandwidth caps compared to the kimsufi 2g.
Better read the ToS carefully where ever you decide to get a VPS, a lot of places have a zero tolerance policy for torrents.

You shouldn't have a problem with multiple people sharing the single IP for VPN traffic or anything else really.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

TheRevolution1 posted:

That price sounds too good to be true... what's the catch?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

thelightguy posted:

anything not automated, good luck ever doing
no modifications
no support
all desktop grade gear
no amd-v/intel vt
celeron 1ghz or worse (have seen triple digit mhz before), or atom or something -- entirely luck of the draw
desktop drives some with years of runtime
no raid possible
automated abuse takedowns
no really, zero handholding whatsoever don't gently caress up your box
no sla

Great for storing backups and various things though. Wouldn't use in production.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

So basically it's fine for a toy server once you've learned enough about linux to not render it unbootable.

The price is certainly right, and I wouldn't mind ditching the GX260 in my basement.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

thelightguy posted:

So basically it's fine for a toy server once you've learned enough about linux to not render it unbootable.

The price is certainly right, and I wouldn't mind ditching the GX260 in my basement.

They're fine to use for personal sites and stuff, but if you're looking for support or uptime you should look into providers that offer that kind of service. I personally never bother with support so I stick to the cheapo servers, though I guess since I have my own datacenter I don't really do that much anymore (other than for secondary sites etc.).

dox
Mar 4, 2006

thelightguy posted:

I have used a Kimsufi 2g for the past 7 months as a seedbox/general server. The only real downside is the slow CPU (not required for a seedbox really) and the fact that you are given basically zero support except through your reseller. OVH detected a "hack" on my server last month and completely locked my account eventually forcing a complete reformat with no option to backup my data- not the end of the world for me personally, but definitely not an option for professional usage. I buy through a Swiss reseller and have unlimited traffic, and he has offered me (and probably others) the following the prices:

quote:

atom/celeron, 2gb ram, 1tb hdd, 100/100mbps, unmetered traffic for 29chf/month
intel i5, 16gb ram, 2tb hdd, 100/100mbps, unmetered traffic for 75chf/month
intel i7, 24gb ram, 2tb hdd, 100/100mbps, unmetered traffic for 90chf/month
celeron d, 2gb ram, 2x2tb hdd, 100/100mbps, unmetered traffic for 90chf/month
intel c2d, 4gb ram, 2x750gb hdd, 100/100mbps, unmetered traffic for 90chf/month
intel i5, 16gb ram, 2x2tb hdd, 100/100mbps, unmetered traffic for 90chf/month
intel i5, 8gb ram, 4x2tb hdd, 100/100mbps, unmetered traffic for 165chf/month
intel c2d, 2gb ram, 5x2tb hdd, 1gbps, unmetered traffic for 210chf/month
intel c2d, 4gb ram, 12x2tb hdd, 1gbps, unmetered traffic for 720chf/month
intel xeon, 24gb ram, 2x2tb hdd, 1gbps, unmetered traffic for 200chf/month
intel xeon, 24gb ram, 2x120gb ssd, 1gbps, unmetered traffic for 200chf/month
amd opteron, 32gb ram, 2x2tb hdd, 1gbps, unmetered traffic for 200chf/month
intel xeon, 24gb ram, 2x40gb ssd and 2x2tb hdd, 1gbps, unmetered traffic for 220chf/month
intel bi xeon, 24gb ram, 2x3tb hdd, 10gbps, umetered traffic for 360chf/month

In the end though, I'm pretty lovely navigating through UNIX and installing all of this crap myself. I'm additionally completely lost in trying to install OpenVPN, so take my words as those coming from a novice. I'd love to have my box setup perfectly with rtorrent and OpenVPN, but I'm slowly considering just moving to auto-configured services unless I can somehow gain a lot of knowledge very quickly.

takamoron
Mar 27, 2011

practice nonviolence plz

rawrr posted:

Linode is offering free $100 credit to new signups: http://blog.linode.com/2012/06/16/linode-birthday-giveaway/

Thanks! Just signed up for the 20$ plan, so I got 6 months for the price of 1. Putting Arch on it and gonna start playing around.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
You're welcome! I just checked, and wow, they only have $58,760 left out of $250,000 to give away, and it's only been like 8ish hours.

If anyone is interested, here's the benchmarks from a Linode 512:

code:
========================================================================
   BYTE UNIX Benchmarks (Version 5.1.3)

System: li490-119: GNU/Linux
   OS: GNU/Linux -- 3.4.2-linode44 -- #1 SMP Tue Jun 12 15:04:46 EDT 2012
   Machine: i686 (unknown)
   Language: en_US.utf8 (charmap="UTF-8", collate="UTF-8")
   CPU 0: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz (4533.5 bogomips)
          Hyper-Threading, MMX, Physical Address Ext
   CPU 1: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz (4533.5 bogomips)
   CPU 2: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz (4533.5 bogomips)
   CPU 3: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz (4533.5 bogomips)
   14:07:40 up 16 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.02, 0.10, 0.07; runlevel 2

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benchmark Run: Tue Jun 19 2012 14:07:40 - 14:15:29
4 CPUs in system; running 1 parallel copy of tests

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   15695174.2   1344.9
Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0       2021.2    367.5
Execl Throughput                                 43.0       1195.7    278.1
File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0     470080.0   1187.1
File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0     124332.0    751.3
File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0    1184747.0   2042.7
Pipe Throughput                               12440.0     657457.7    528.5
Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0      29047.6     72.6
Process Creation                                126.0       2240.3    177.8
Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4       2882.9    679.9
Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0       1129.2   1882.0
System Call Overhead                          15000.0     496148.6    330.8
                                                                   ========
System Benchmarks Index Score                                         547.4

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Benchmark Run: Tue Jun 19 2012 14:15:29 - 14:23:18
4 CPUs in system; running 4 parallel copies of tests

System Benchmarks Index Values               BASELINE       RESULT    INDEX
Dhrystone 2 using register variables         116700.0   64074791.9   5490.6
Double-Precision Whetstone                       55.0       9640.5   1752.8
Execl Throughput                                 43.0       5406.8   1257.4
File Copy 1024 bufsize 2000 maxblocks          3960.0     573173.0   1447.4
File Copy 256 bufsize 500 maxblocks            1655.0     151895.0    917.8
File Copy 4096 bufsize 8000 maxblocks          5800.0    1771807.0   3054.8
Pipe Throughput                               12440.0    2621564.5   2107.4
Pipe-based Context Switching                   4000.0     306824.6    767.1
Process Creation                                126.0      10811.5    858.1
Shell Scripts (1 concurrent)                     42.4       9197.9   2169.3
Shell Scripts (8 concurrent)                      6.0       1269.1   2115.1
System Call Overhead                          15000.0    1769102.9   1179.4
                                                                   ========
System Benchmarks Index Score                                        1636.4
Much, much higher than serveraxis ssd, which was at around 270ish.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
don't use ovh resellers it's literally shooting yourself in the foot

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Biowarfare posted:

don't use ovh resellers it's literally shooting yourself in the foot

literally shooting yourself in the foot? I wasn't aware of that policy, guess I should pay more attention to their TOS.

IT Guy
Jan 12, 2010

You people drink like you don't want to live!
What's the goon recommended shared hosting these days? I see dreamhost in the OP but then people in this thread are saying it's bad.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
If you're looking for goon run or something, apisnetworks have been pretty nice (+ don't treat you like you're dumb, so..)

Dreamhost are okay if you just want a cheap place to dump crap on, wouldn't use it for anything important

I use gandi/medialayer myself for shared though and love both. For domains, gandi.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

IT Guy posted:

What's the goon recommended shared hosting these days? I see dreamhost in the OP but then people in this thread are saying it's bad.

Lithium Hosting.

dillon
Nov 20, 2002
Grimey Drawer

slartibartfast posted:

Anybody have any strong opinions about Firehost? I'm thinking about moving a .edu WordPress site and about 20 subdomains over to them.

It's kind of overpriced because of their "security" focus, which is mostly marketing hype -- most of the staff when I was working there was marketing/design people. Probably overkill for a couple WordPress installs, but might be good if you need to host sensitive data or need to be HIPAA compliant or things of this nature.

If you're concerned about being able to stand up to lots of traffic (reddit/slashdot), it's probably better for you to get a Linode or something and put your sites behind CloudFlare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011
Anyone have any experience with internet.bs for registration? Seems a bit shady, but the prices seem ok. Didn't know if anyone here has personal experience with them.