Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

GrAviTy84 posted:

stuffed peppers in a crock pot would just be a mush of undeveloped flavors. Sorry.

Make Chile Rellenos.

Sorry duder, that's just how my mom made them when I was growing up and they tasted fine to me. It's not like I have to do it that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How long do cooked dry beans keep before going bad?

I cooked a whole 1lb bag of red beans but I'm only eating 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day for the past few days.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Re: brussels sprouts, I have some in my freezer that I need to use soon. (Not prepackaged; these are nice fresh ones from the farmers market. I just bought more than I could use all at once.)

If I plan to oven-roast them, or half them and cook them in a skillet with bacon grease and sliced onions, should I thaw them first or just chuck them in frozen? I want to avoid the bitter gray mushy crap that my mother used to produce out of processed frozen sprouts.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

davecrazy posted:

How long do cooked dry beans keep before going bad?

I cooked a whole 1lb bag of red beans but I'm only eating 1/4 to 1/2 cup a day for the past few days.

Well over a week, in my experience. Possibly as much as two weeks. I've never had them go that long without being eaten, so I'm not sure.

LikeFunOnlyBoring
Sep 3, 2008
I'm cooking this weekend for my boyfriend's dad for Father's Day. We're grilling filet mignon. His sister is a vegetarian, so I was trying to come up with a good grilled vegetarian option. I don't want to just do a grilled portabella mushroom on a bun. That's boring, and I can do better.

I was maybe thinking of doing a homemade veggie burger, but I am having trouble finding a reliable recipe, so I was wondering if anyone here had a good recipe for a delicious veggie burger, or had other ideas of something I could make for her. It doesn't really have to be grilled, but I figured since the grill would be out anyway. If it's something I can get ready ahead of time, all the better, since we're going to be busy until then and I'd like to get a jump start on the food today.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
I'm gonna make a cream based soup today (cheesesteak soup) and I was wondering what I should do with the meat. I got 3/4lb of ribeye, and I was planning on dicing it. Should I cook it first before putting it into the soup, or should I slice it thinly and let it cook within the soup?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER
So you go to a deli and they put oil and vinegar on your sandwich, and it's intensely yummy. What kind of oil and vinegar is it typically?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
What's a delicious, cheap spaghetti sauce with meat in it and what's a good way to freeze it? I can't imagine tossing it all into a giant container and freezing would work well for reuse over time, but the alternative (doling out tiny portions that I'd use) would completely fill my freezer...

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Yehudis Basya posted:

So you go to a deli and they put oil and vinegar on your sandwich, and it's intensely yummy. What kind of oil and vinegar is it typically?

Balsamic vinegar and quality olive oil is a good classic combo.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Yehudis Basya posted:

Balsamic and good olive oil is a great choice, as Mach420 said. However, your typical deli will put on red wine vinegar and a neutral oil, like canola.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

A friend gave me a huge amount of venison salami with bits of cheese and red pepper in it. It's pretty tasty on it's own, but is there anything I can cook it into that is interesting?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

tarepanda posted:

What's a delicious, cheap spaghetti sauce with meat in it and what's a good way to freeze it? I can't imagine tossing it all into a giant container and freezing would work well for reuse over time, but the alternative (doling out tiny portions that I'd use) would completely fill my freezer...

You can freeze that sort of stuff in freezer bags. Once they're solid, they're easy to stack. Can't help you with the spaghetti sauce, though.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

A friend gave me a huge amount of venison salami with bits of cheese and red pepper in it. It's pretty tasty on it's own, but is there anything I can cook it into that is interesting?

That sounds loving delicious, good lord.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Jyrraeth posted:

You can freeze that sort of stuff in freezer bags. Once they're solid, they're easy to stack. Can't help you with the spaghetti sauce, though.

Ooh, nice thought!

Yehudis Basya posted:

I actually shuddered a little because the first thing I thought of was Oscar Mayer pimento loaf.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yehudis Basya posted:

It is. I have so much of it that I think I'll get sick of salami sandwiches. It's a good problem to have.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Jyrraeth posted:

It sounds kind of stupid, but I like to indent the top and bottom bags in a stack. That way, you can put a strap around them. Then, when you're digging around in your deep freezer, you're not moving loose bags but neat, orderly blocks of bags.

As a bonus, your friends will start to ask you questions about your medications when they see that your freezer resembles a filing cabinet.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

tarepanda posted:

Check out the Ragu thread for recipe of how to make delicious sauce.

As for storing it, you have lots of options. If you're going to reuse a bunch at a time later, then one big block is fine. What you don't want to be doing is thawing and re-freezing the same container over and over again. You could easily dole out 2 meals worth in baggies, and then you eat two meals with pasta sauce within the 3-4 days before it goes bad.

If you dole it out into tiny containers if you have a lot of tiny containers, after it's frozen you can put them all in one big ziplock baggie, and it won't take up quite as much space. Or take them out of the tiny containers and stack them inside a big, square container that is easy to stack around in your freezer.

But putting 2c of sauce in a quart size freezer bag, removing all the air, and then squashing as flat as possible will give you convenient sizes, easy stacking or stowing into small spaces, and faster thawing because you have a large surface area to volume ratio.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

tarepanda posted:

I actually shuddered a little because the first thing I thought of was Oscar Mayer pimento loaf.

:gonk: I am thrilled to say that I have never eaten that. It sounds revolting.

Other pre-made items that skeeve me out similarly:
- tubs of cream cheese spread (not actually cream cheese) with smoked salmon flavor with an ingredient list a mile long
- tubes of chocolate chip cookie dough (I used to love that stuff when I was in college, but now? poo poo doesn't even taste like chocolate chip cookies, there is this horribly off-putting acidic aftertaste that doesn't taste like food)
- ??

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've bought my first proper camera and was wondering what people do outside of lighting to get their photos of food looking so good. Gravity in particular because his photos are always incredible regardless of how simple the meal is.

Also, whats the best cut of beef to roast if I want to use bones to make stock with after?

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jun 16, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

I've bought my first proper camera and was wondering what people do outside of lighting to get their photos of food looking so good. Gravity in particular because his photos are always incredible regardless of how simple the meal is.

He uses an off camera flash and probably bumps up the blacks and saturation a bit in post.

Also, take a couple seconds to plate nicely and clean up the edges

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks. I'll have to practice a lot

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

What kind of a camera did you pick up?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Happy Abobo posted:

My favourite quick way to cook brussels sprouts is to render the fat out of an ounce or two of bacon, sausage, or other fatty cured meat, then slice the sprouts up and toss them in with some dijon and maple syrup.

Delicious win, no leftovers!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

What kind of a camera did you pick up?

Canon eos 350D. My first camera. Never really needed one before so never bought one but I'm going abroad a few times this year on holiday so decided to get one now for some practice.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scott Bakula posted:

Canon eos 350D. My first camera. Never really needed one before so never bought one but I'm going abroad a few times this year on holiday so decided to get one now for some practice.

Ah, what you can do to help your photos immensely is to get a business card or something and hold it at a 45 degree angle in front of your pop up flash and shoot that way. This bounces the light off the ceiling and gives a nice fill to your photos.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I'll give it a go thanks. I went for an DSLR purely because I'm poo poo at taking steady photos without having the view finder on my eye. Glad I finally have a camera though because I'd been thinking about getting one for a while.

I quite like being able to take photos of food I make

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I'll give it a go thanks. I went for an DSLR purely because I'm poo poo at taking steady photos without having the view finder on my eye. Glad I finally have a camera though because I'd been thinking about getting one for a while.

I quite like being able to take photos of food I made

Lighting is important. As casu mentioned, I sometimes shoot with a flash off camera, but not most of the time. Most of the time I shoot with an on camera flash bounced off a wall to the right, or a ceiling. If I shoot without a flash I'm shooting next to a window with light coming in from the side.

I use spot meter, people will tell you to matrix meter, I think I get better results with spot and knowing the "zone system", but that might be a bit much for someone just starting out. I wrote this thing a few years ago and haven't touched it since then, but it should still be a good starting point. http://goonswithspoons.com/Photography#More_Advanced_Concepts

Good luck!

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 16, 2012

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

So much to learn but I'm looking forward to it

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
I'm brining and roasting a chicken tomorrow for the first time on my own. Anyone have tips?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

I want to make a variation of this recipe for spicy black beans and tomatoes, but I don't have a slow cooker. I was just going to use my dutch oven. The blogger sets the slow cooker temp to "high" and continuously checks back after a few hours.

Any idea on what temp I should set the oven to? My thought was 260 F, but I wasn't sure if that was too low or too high. Usually, when I braise meat, I do 275 F, but I haven't done too much with beans in the past to be perfectly honest.

Second question: the blogger uses fire-roasted with garlic canned diced tomatoes, but I was just going to chop up fresh tomatoes/garlic, grind a shitton cumin from seeds, keep the jalapeno and salt, and add a good bit of freshly ground black pepper for flavoring. Any other extras that would be good to add?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Capsaicin posted:

I'm gonna make a cream based soup today (cheesesteak soup) and I was wondering what I should do with the meat. I got 3/4lb of ribeye, and I was planning on dicing it. Should I cook it first before putting it into the soup, or should I slice it thinly and let it cook within the soup?

Hope that you get to see this in time

I think dicing the meat will be acceptable, since while traditional cheese-steak meat is very thin, I wouldn't want to eat a soup full of "beef noodles". Maybe comparatively thicker slices in bite size would be best.

And definitely cook it before hand. I don't think rare beef in a cream soup sounds very appetizing. In a noodle bowl though, hell yeah.

An observer posted:

I'm brining and roasting a chicken tomorrow for the first time on my own. Anyone have tips?

Don't brine it for too long. I'd say any more than 3 hours for a chicken would be too much.

Do you have a recipe in mind or are you going in totally blind? If you don't have anything in mind, try going for simple salt and pepper rubbed under the skin. If you want something a little more advanced, try making a compound butter and rub that under the skin. Or thin slices of lemon.

As far as roasting goes, you want to start off in a hot oven to crisp up the skin first, and then roast it at a lower temperature. Unfortunately, I'm not very good when it comes to recalling times and temps for things like this. Let me see what I can find for you.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

An observer posted:

For a smaller bird I'd use high heat and a short time, and for a larger bird I'd go with lower heat and longer time.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

LikeFunOnlyBoring posted:

I'm cooking this weekend for my boyfriend's dad for Father's Day. We're grilling filet mignon. His sister is a vegetarian, so I was trying to come up with a good grilled vegetarian option. I don't want to just do a grilled portabella mushroom on a bun. That's boring, and I can do better.

I was maybe thinking of doing a homemade veggie burger, but I am having trouble finding a reliable recipe, so I was wondering if anyone here had a good recipe for a delicious veggie burger, or had other ideas of something I could make for her. It doesn't really have to be grilled, but I figured since the grill would be out anyway. If it's something I can get ready ahead of time, all the better, since we're going to be busy until then and I'd like to get a jump start on the food today.

If she's cool with eating cheese, you can do something interesting with haloumi, which is an acid-set Greek cheese that doesn't melt and is great grilled.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

LikeFunOnlyBoring posted:

Overcook a cup of rice so that it's extra-starchy and soft. Add an equal amount of black beans and mash together. Add very finely diced onion and garlic, some chopped cilantro (unless she hates cilantro; then use parsley) and salt and pepper. Form into patties. I would cook these in a pan instead of a grill, but they're delicious, especially topped with fresh tomato and spinach.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
At the restauarnt we brined 3# chickens overnight with much success. After taking them from the brine (we did 1c kosher salt and 1/2 sugar per gallon of liquid (which was 3q water and 1q beer)), we would pat them dry, then low roast at 325 in a low-fan convection oven, turning frequently until done, maybe 60-75m (it's been awhile)? We did this to fully cook the chicken but not brown the skin. Then we would portion it out and then reheat/brown the skin to order (we'd put 1/2 chicken into a pan, skin side up, with a little butter, a splash of water, and some herbs, and cook it til the skin was golden brown, 10m in a 500+ degree convection oven).

In order to cook it all at once I would just up the heat a little bit.

edit: more specifically on the brine, we used a Duvel style beer with a lot of lemon, coriander, and bay leaf, as well as some unmeasured amounts of mirepoix. For our racks of pork, we used an abbey style (Corsendonk-ish but our house brew) and more autumnal flavors-- sage, orange peel, star anise.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 17, 2012

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
Thanks a ton for the advice everyone! I was actually thinking of doing the lemon slices under skin thing, ever since I read it in this thread a while ago. Will they make the skin uncrispy if I keep them in there the entire roasting time?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not really. It won't look as pretty, but the tradeoff will be worth it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Whats the best brand of (vegetable) soup base to use? I've used Better Than Bouillon before, and its drat decent, but on a lark I decided to try some Rapunzel brand that I found in whole foods.

I just made a pot pie with it and surprise surprise, it tastes like powdered soup mix :argh:

No rants about making my own stock please

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Valdara posted:

Check out the Ragu thread for recipe of how to make delicious sauce.

I kind of hate you, kind of love you right now. I was looking at spaghetti as a cheap survival food, but now I just want to make some ragu and eat spagetti three times a day for a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Dogfish posted:

Overcook a cup of rice so that it's extra-starchy and soft. Add an equal amount of black beans and mash together.

Another way to do it is blend half of your beans in the cooking water until its nice and batter-y, then add gluten as a binder.