Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Holepunchio posted:

I'm one of the suckers who bought ARMA II purely because of DayZ. I can't even enjoy it because the engine and netcode is so lovely I get stuck in a constant lagspike anytime any other player is remotely near me. Anything done to show the developers how bad the engine is welcomed to me, it just encourages more patching. That's all that should've come out of this. A patch to fix the holes and a cheeky wag of the finger. Anything else is onus on the developer.

I'm in the same boat. I used to play single-player as it was more stable but well, Rocket threw a fit and that got taken out too.

Also, just wanted to restate what Sagebrush said. If you're banned from DayZ you're banned from all of ARMA2. That's how bad Rocket hosed up his own player base. Thousands of people pretty much got screwed over who did nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The problem with Arma 2 is that it gives way too much power to the client side of server connections, to the point where you can spawn in pretty much anything, teleport people, or turn them into animals. Additionally, Battleeye doesn't really detect anything so much as it detects individual scripts that people create apparently: change your script to do the same thing but via a different method, and you can get in clean. I haven't seen a case of coding this horrendous since the late 90's with the original Jedi Knight's anti-cheat mechanic of "Check game code files for length. If it's the right length, let it through, even if you changed it so your gun shoots stormtroopers."

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Party Plane Jones posted:

even if you changed it so your gun shoots stormtroopers.

Someone needs to do this with DayZ.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
Just got this at the Dayz forums.

quote:

Your forum account is currently banned. Ban Reason: Unknown
Ban will be lifted: Never

The internet is serious business.

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Flaggy posted:

DayZ does NOT support hitlers of ANY KIND.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

If it's the right length, let it through, even if you changed it so your gun shoots stormtroopers."

Er, ALL guns can shoot stormtroopers. :downs:

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Flaggy posted:

What did you post?

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Slamscooty posted:

DayZ does NOT support hitlers of ANY KIND.

Hy_C posted:

What did you post?

Pretty much that.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Hy_C posted:

What did you post?

General goon fuckery.

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12848

:nws:Goatse on last page:nws:

EDIT:

For some reason those forums dont let me log out either. I was planning on buying ArmA II as well :(

Galactic fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 16, 2012

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Edit: Oh hey, it got answered while I was typing. I don't see a goatse on the last page, though.

VVV Knowing his type? Just whining and hoping someone will comfort him and shield him from all the EVIL GOONS :qq:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 16, 2012

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is rocket a serious drama-whore? I see so many posts from him saying "THE PROJECT IS DEAD" and "YOU KILLED IT." Is he really going to stop updating the mod or is he just whining?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Er, ALL guns can shoot stormtroopers. :downs:

Literally stormtroopers, sorry. I also remember guns that would change sectors in the game (usually a room) to be marked as water, causing people to drown, build guns, teleportation, guns that would suck in and delete all the objects from a map, and whole bunch of other guns. Since Jedi Knight was extremely clientside based, there was a series of hacks that autoaimed for you. Autoaim instead of being an aimbot actually changed your projectiles themselves to track and follow the enemy player. Aside from guns, you could change the power level of your force powers by opening your multiplayer character (basically your skin, name, and saber color) and added a bunch of extras. Doing so would make you die because of the velocity of your jump into a ceiling, so fast that if you hit any solid object you'd die, and blindness would completely blank out an opposing player's screen for 10 minutes. Plus, your standard loudout in the game was controlled by a file called misc.dat, which was in plaintext, and allowed you to edit it freely.

Basically, Jedi Knight was the Gmod of 1998.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 16, 2012

s0beit
Sep 23, 2008
I WISH GRANDMA HAD DIED SO I WOULDN'T HAVE TO TALK TO LIBERALS

The problem with Arma 2 is that it gives way too much power to the client side of server connections, to the point where you can spawn in pretty much anything, teleport people, or turn them into animals. Additionally, Battleeye doesn't really detect anything so much as it detects individual scripts that people create apparently: change your script to do the same thing but via a different method, and you can get in clean.

I wouldn't blame BattlEye. Yes, they're awful, it is amateur hour as far as anti-cheats go, but they can only do so much. ARMA2 (and in fact every iteration of the engine ARMA2 is based off of) is a monstrosity. They don't just give clients control over their own client, that would be bad enough, they give clients control over the server, it's the most insane thing I've ever seen in my entire, entire life.

Oh, but don't mention this on the BiS forums because the fanboys will be out in force. I feel this is also the appropriate time to mention that their scripting system is god awful, too. If they'd setup a reliable server/client/shared framework and adopted Lua as their main scripting language it would still be worth playing for me today. Right now, their community is insanely lucky ARMA2 has lasted as long as it did. Their hacker community actively advocates against killing the game because they absolutely understand that they have the ability to do that. They really do, too.

One bored person on a mission with a script bypass can destroy the entire ARMA2 community, not just DayZ. It's a ridiculous situation.

BiS and all of their loyal fans really do deserve what they get. It's a fun game from time to time but it's put together extremely poorly with no desire to change.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Holepunchio posted:

That whole DayZ grief is barely even a grief. I can't sort out the exact details, but at worst even if Cowman wrote the script and then spread it all over 4chan he's not the one that forced anyone to use the script and he's not the one to ban everyone for using a script and he's certainly not the one threatening to stop development after the fallout. I mean making exploits to developers glaringly obvious is just a nice way to get the exploits patched out quickly. That mass-banning was a huge overreaction by what sounds like a ego-maniacal controlfreak.

I'm one of the suckers who bought ARMA II purely because of DayZ. I can't even enjoy it because the engine and netcode is so lovely I get stuck in a constant lagspike anytime any other player is remotely near me. Anything done to show the developers how bad the engine is welcomed to me, it just encourages more patching. That's all that should've come out of this. A patch to fix the holes and a cheeky wag of the finger. Anything else is onus on the developer.

I'm flattered but it wasn't me. I don't even own the game.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

s0beit posted:

I wouldn't blame BattlEye. Yes, they're awful, it is amateur hour as far as anti-cheats go, but they can only do so much. ARMA2 (and in fact every iteration of the engine ARMA2 is based off of) is a monstrosity. They don't just give clients control over their own client, that would be bad enough, they give clients control over the server, it's the most insane thing I've ever seen in my entire, entire life.

Oh, but don't mention this on the BiS forums because the fanboys will be out in force. I feel this is also the appropriate time to mention that their scripting system is god awful, too. If they'd setup a reliable server/client/shared framework and adopted Lua as their main scripting language it would still be worth playing for me today. Right now, their community is insanely lucky ARMA2 has lasted as long as it did. Their hacker community actively advocates against killing the game because they absolutely understand that they have the ability to do that. They really do, too.

One bored person on a mission with a script bypass can destroy the entire ARMA2 community, not just DayZ. It's a ridiculous situation.

BiS and all of their loyal fans really do deserve what they get. It's a fun game from time to time but it's put together extremely poorly with no desire to change.

I think Arma 2 being a ridiculously niche game with a small community has been a secret blessing. Hackers don't want to kill the game because they'd have nowhere else to go play a game that's like Arma 2. So they basically don't poo poo where they eat.
Once DayZ came out, the huge explosion in population and shift in the game's perspective really screwed things up. I just hope now Bohemia will actually start listening to their community but I'm afraid not, because I'm pretty sure their main cash cow are still the militaries of several countries.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho
Is rocket retarded? I mean that seriously.

Okay, let's come up with an analogy.

Some guys are shot by a group of maniacs. The maniacs must be stopped.

How do we do it?

Anyone who has ever used or owned a gun, ever, must now face the death penalty. Everyone. Police, Military, Hunters, Sports Shooters, Defensive Homeowners, and the maniacs I guess. But it's okay, we stopped the maniacs at the cost of about a 1000:1 innocent:maniac ratio!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Holy poo poo how did this and the follow-up new article never make it into gamesjournalism.txt, that was impressive how poorly they researched it.

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

Why can't battleye read incoming scripts and look for things that shouldn't be in the mod. Maybe have the modders have a "don't execute" list in their mods somewhere had have battleye call to that list when the mod starts and search for any player enacting scripts that do a thing and ban them? I have seen some server logs and it doesn't seem to hard for them to check for "Created crate" because players shouldn't be creating anything!

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shadowlz posted:

Why can't battleye read incoming scripts and look for things that shouldn't be in the mod. Maybe have the modders have a "don't execute" list in their mods somewhere had have battleye call to that list when the mod starts and search for any player enacting scripts that do a thing and ban them? I have seen some server logs and it doesn't seem to hard for them to check for "Created crate" because players shouldn't be creating anything!

That's what they do, but what BattleEye does is look for what are basically copy and pasted code snippets. You can get around it very, very easily.

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

That's what they do, but what BattleEye does is look for what are basically copy and pasted code snippets. You can get around it very, very easily.

Did they hire some random 12 year old lua scripter to write their anti-cheat?

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Raneman posted:

Did they hire some random 12 year old lua scripter to write their anti-cheat?

Basically, he also completely refuses to admit that it's possible for his system to have false positives and tries to troll anybody that tells him they weren't hacking.

Edit: another player's email to the battleye dev
http://i.imgur.com/GhhrL.png

wuat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jun 17, 2012

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Justice posted:

I wish I could reap the strife you have sown and distill it into a fermented beverage to keep me warm at night.

I think I may have just fully realized what we sound like to people who don't post here :black101:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Slamscooty posted:

Basically, he also completely refuses to admit that it's possible for his system to have false positives and tries to troll anybody that tells him they weren't hacking.

From what I recall a page or so back one of the developers for Day Z ended up getting a global ban themselves. That thread was quickly deleted.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Flaggy posted:

Is...is rocket Tim Buckley?

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

1stGear posted:

Is...is rocket Tim Buckley?

:psyduck:
We have found the Tim Buckley of game development. Ancient legend says there is only one for every field of art.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

I thought we had upgraded from "a wretched hive of scum and villainy".

Shadowlz
Oct 3, 2011

Oh it's gonna happen one way or the other, pal.

From what I recall a page or so back one of the developers for Day Z ended up getting a global ban themselves. That thread was quickly deleted.

I saw that thread and it was obvious sarcasm. The devs quickly realized that the playerbase is far too dense to figure that out and deleted it.

It said something like this:

"I GOt global ban i never hack and i don't understand!!1"

It was an obvious joke referencing threads like these:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12181
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12190
And, well, the entire subforum:
http://dayzmod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16

Shadowlz fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 17, 2012

BarkingSquirrel
Sep 12, 2008

by Smythe
LO-loving-L Banned for trolling in a thread about trolling :D

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Shadowlz posted:

I saw that thread and it was obvious sarcasm. The devs quickly realized that the playerbase is far too dense to figure that out and deleted it.

It said something like this:

"I GOt global ban i never hack and i don't understand!!1"

It was an obvious joke referencing threads like these:

http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12181
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=12190
And, well, the entire subforum:
http://dayzmod.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=16

http://i.imgur.com/MzmSw.jpg

Raneman
Dec 24, 2010

by T. Finninho

Pillory posted:

if (isnil 'BIS_GITA_fnc_createMarkers' || false) then {
BIS_GITA_fnc_createMarkers

I spotted this in the thread for why people were banned. This, actually, is a beign code from what I can tell. After some research I found it's related to the ambient civilian modules and villages and poo poo.
BIS = Bohemia Interactive Studios
GITA = Generator of Integrated Town Areas

By the way, that function ships with the vanilla game.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

m2pt5 posted:

I thought we had upgraded from "a wretched hive of scum and villainy".

I hope "I can, and DO troll people in real life" is itself a troll because that's awfully depressing otherwise.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
why does it say || false ? Is it some quirk of the scripting language?

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

I hope "I can, and DO troll people in real life" is itself a troll because that's awfully depressing otherwise.

It is, don't worry. I'm just being a jackass on there for the hell of it. I'm also posting that image I linked earlier getting pubbies to believe that innocent people actually have been banned.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Slamscooty posted:

It is, don't worry. I'm just being a jackass on there for the hell of it. I'm also posting that image I linked earlier getting pubbies to believe that innocent people actually have been banned.

Fair enough, don't let me stop you :)

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

Fair enough, don't let me stop you :)

I'm honestly just trying to get banned, it's pretty amazing that I haven't been yet considering ~5 other people in that thread have been.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

Programming languages are wierd.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

Slamscooty posted:

Oh is that you? Hahahaha, I should have figured as much.

They have that weird quote within a quote thing going on. I wonder if it has a limit.

Cowman fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 17, 2012

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Slamscooty posted:

I'm honestly just trying to get banned, it's pretty amazing that I haven't been yet considering ~5 other people in that thread have been.
Their mods must be enjoying the show :allears:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Stab posted:

|| means OR in scripting. It basically says if function 'BIS_GITA_fnc_createMarkers' is nil, zero or false, then execute the following code.

The false thing is... Almost not necessary because it isn't given a function and will never be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

It's amazing. The hack was impressive enough, but the response was akin to pulling out a gun, unloading the clip into your foot, then reloading and doing it again

• Locked thread