Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

OK, man, but the huge differences in vocabulary (like 60% of English words are at some point from Latin and many mean just the same thing in other European languages; the same dynamic is going on with languages influenced by Classical Chinese), grammar, and syllabification are still there, as well the thinking about tense and aspect, agglutinative verbs, particles and a whole host of things that are totally alien to Western European languages. None of these things are insurmountable but to claim they're no big deal is bizarre.
The question that started this was not "is it easier than Spanish" it was "how hard is it?" and I responded "probably easier than you think", because I think the differences between Japanese and English are exaggerated to a ridiculous degree, mostly because of the writing system, and good old fashioned "mysterious orient" stuff.

edit:

Like, you thought the subjunctive voice in Spanish was weird? At least it has (slightly archaic) analogues in English. What does English have that resembles the causative passive?
Well, we have passives, and we have (lexical) causatives, and it's definitely possible to say "I was made to clean my clothes".

edit: this was the story of my life when I arrived in my linguistics program, finding out that everything I thought was unique about either Japanese or English was actually very similar.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 17, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

OK, man, but the huge differences in vocabulary (like 60% of English words are at some point from Latin and many mean just the same thing in other European languages; the same dynamic is going on with languages influenced by Classical Chinese), grammar, and syllabification are still there, as well the thinking about tense and aspect, agglutinative verbs, particles and a whole host of things that are totally alien to Western European languages. None of these things are insurmountable but to claim they're no big deal is bizarre.

Like, you thought the subjunctive voice in Spanish was weird? At least it has (slightly archaic) analogues in English. What does English have that resembles the causative passive?

The causative passive is really simple and we have it in English too. :confused:

Like Sanders said, no one is claiming Japanese is easier than Spanish for an English speaker. But I definitely think it's easier than Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Thai, Vietnamese, Turkish, and maybe even Russian. And Japanese isn't really connected to Chinese. The sentence structure of Chinese is much closer to English and the tones have no analogue in either language. The only common point is the kanji, which Japan just appropriated and applied to an existing vocabulary.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Egomaniac posted:

And Japanese isn't really connected to Chinese.

It may not "really" be connected, but it has thousands of words derived from Classical Chinese, as does, surprisingly, modern Chinese.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

It may not "really" be connected, but it has thousands of words derived from Classical Chinese, as does, surprisingly, modern Chinese.
Memorizing a new set of vocabulary is something you need to be ready for when you study any language, I think. That shouldn't really figure into how difficult you regard a language to learn. And Japanese DOES have a whole hell of a lot of English (and other Germanic/Romance) loan words.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

Memorizing a new set of vocabulary is something you need to be ready for when you study any language, I think. That shouldn't really figure into how difficult you regard a language to learn. And Japanese DOES have a whole hell of a lot of English (and other Germanic/Romance) loan words.

Why not? You don't have to have heard the word "geografía" to have a good guess what it means, so you're effectively starting out with a huge base of words you can recognize (and eventually you can probably guess based on common patterns what the equivalent will be) and you can't do that with the E - J pair. Also, sure, there are lots of English loan words, but nowhere near as many as Chinese, which compose the majority of the Japanese lexicon. And they don't mean the same thing (LET'S bus! No pan! etc.) all the time.

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

It has thousands of words that use the same kanji, yes, but the pronunciation is wildly different. Yes, I know Japanese has 音読み, but few speakers would recognize the actual Chinese pronunciation as the same thing. It's not analogous to the similarities between romance languages.

EDIT:

Crappy Jack's right. There're actually threads for this in other subforums.

Egomaniac fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jun 17, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

I liked it when Kiryu said "I peacocked your mom last night" and then he beat up a bunch of dudes with his fists and everybody apologized to him.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Egomaniac posted:

It has thousands of words that use the same kanji, yes, but the pronunciation is wildly different. Yes, I know Japanese has 音読み, but few speakers would recognize the actual Chinese pronunciation as the same thing. It's not analogous to the similarities between romance languages.

No, but there are obvious patterns so like, if you ever talk to someone who's a native Chinese or Korean speaker learning Japanese they'll tell you they just take guesses at what the Japanese equivalent of the word they want to say is all the time based on their knowledge of patterns. Occasionally that will lead you astray or they'll have an imperfect understanding of the patterns and give you a word that's only sort of similar, but you know.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Studies show Chinese L1 Japanese L2 speakers use Sino-Japanese words in conversation way more often than Japanese L1 speakers. Why do you suppose that is?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Studies show Chinese L1 Japanese L2 speakers use Sino-Japanese words in conversation way more often than Japanese L1 speakers. Why do you suppose that is?
Yes you have convinced me that Japanese has a lot of Chinese loan words in it, which is unrelated to the question that started all this, now can we drop it? It's been like two pages.

edit: the best part of the Yakuza movie was at the end when he was all beaten and then gulped a Stamina Spark and got full hp and heat

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jun 17, 2012

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I still don't even know how to play Mahjong.

Edit: Also the best part of the Yakuza movie was any part with Majima in it. Which isn't too different from the games.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jun 17, 2012

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Fuzz posted:

I still don't even know how to play Mahjong.

Edit: Also the best part of the Yakuza movie was any part with Majima in it. Which isn't too different from the games.

I learned from playing FunTown Mahjong (which is like the only actual mahjong game you can find in the states).

But I'm pretty sure the rules in Yakuza 4 are a bit different (and I don't feel like memorizing the tiles anyway). It's a fun game nonetheless.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Yakuza 4 uses Riichi Mahjong rules which is the main play style of Japan.

This is a good flash version if you're interested. It even has simple instructions to get you started.
http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/mahjong/mahjong_e.html

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Yeah, Riichi mahjong has crazy rules with stricter conditions for going out and the special high scoring hands, etc. I learned on a 2000 point system and now the norm seems to be 25,000 so I'm still getting used to that. Chinese rules are the easiest to learn though, and American rules are poo poo.

I played a lot of gin Rummy with my grandma growing up, so I think that's where my affinity for mahjong comes from. They're pretty similar.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
I finished Kurohyoh 2 today. I guess no one else is/was playing because no one's responded to my posts about it but it was pretty cool and a definite step up from the first one.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I finished Kurohyoh 2 today. I guess no one else is/was playing because no one's responded to my posts about it but it was pretty cool and a definite step up from the first one.
I wanna know in what way, I found the boss fights to be paced really badly, given that even more so than the main line games, the boss fights are the whole point to the game. Boss fights are problematic in the main line games too and I don't feel like Kurohyo's system was necessarily an improvement, just a different kind of annoying.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wanna know in what way, I found the boss fights to be paced really badly, given that even more so than the main line games, the boss fights are the whole point to the game. Boss fights are problematic in the main line games too and I don't feel like Kurohyo's system was necessarily an improvement, just a different kind of annoying.

They didn't really change the boss fight system too much I guess, so if that annoyed you it probably still will. But they changed the XP system so you no longer pay the guy to up your skills (that's a really obtuse system in my opinion), balanced it so instead of a quarter of the game being like every random encounter could be a game over and the rest of the game is a cakewalk the whole thing is more or less reasonable difficulty, added tag-team fights and co-op (I haven't been able to try the co-op though), and some other mechanical improvements. The story is more interesting that the story of the first one (although pure pulp) and it's more expansive as you can travel to and from Kyoto. There are also, I think, more fighting styles and some other stuff like that. If you really hated the first one I don't imagine it will change your mind though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Zettace posted:

Yakuza 4 uses Riichi Mahjong rules which is the main play style of Japan.

This is a good flash version if you're interested. It even has simple instructions to get you started.

I still don't understand a goddamn thing about that game. All I know is that AI cheats hardcore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

They didn't really change the boss fight system too much I guess, so if that annoyed you it probably still will. But they changed the XP system so you no longer pay the guy to up your skills (that's a really obtuse system in my opinion), balanced it so instead of a quarter of the game being like every random encounter could be a game over and the rest of the game is a cakewalk the whole thing is more or less reasonable difficulty, added tag-team fights and co-op (I haven't been able to try the co-op though), and some other mechanical improvements. The story is more interesting that the story of the first one (although pure pulp) and it's more expansive as you can travel to and from Kyoto. There are also, I think, more fighting styles and some other stuff like that. If you really hated the first one I don't imagine it will change your mind though.
Yeah, sounds like they didn't fix the things I didn't like. One of them was the clearly lowered audience age, it reads like a manga for fifteen year olds. I mean, it's not like the main line Yakuza story is particularly nuanced but at least it references politics and business and stuff sometimes. I guess they figured the PSP has a lower age range of users overall (though I suspect they are wrong in that assumption).

Oh yeah, and the weird way they handled the main character's underage-ness in regards to all the red light district stuff really rubbed me the wrong way for some reason.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Well, this one is totally political, if that's what you like. Also they kill of a lot of characters so it is darker than the first one. Still no booze. You can go to the massage shop. I didn't waste much time on the cabaret girls but I imagine that is also still just like a kiss

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jun 17, 2012

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Zettace posted:

To be honest, you're better off learning through Yakuza itself, since it's got an easy mode. Gamedesign's app is very good for a flash game but also unforgiving, it'll pretty much always pick the best thing to play. I did a big-rear end mahjong guide in the old thread but I don't have archives, so I can't dig it up again.

e: Very (very) basically, you're trying to make a pair and several sets of threes - three of a kind, or three in a row. Your hand is considered 'closed' unless you pick up an opponent's discarded tile - this will 'open' your hand and invalidate a lot of scoring potential.

In order to properly win, you have to have a hand that scores points. Yakuza's guide is pretty good at listing them all, though you only really need to pay attention to the first few pages. Some of these are available open, some of them are available closed. The most common way to get a valid hand is to declare 'Riichi' - if your hand is closed and you only need one more tile to complete it, press square and select the option to riichi. You won't get to pick up any more tiles other than the ones you need to win, but it'll automatically validate any hand no matter what old crap you have in it.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 18, 2012

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
That is a wonderful ad, whoever purchased it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Andriasang posted:

In Yakuza 5, Haruka has come to Osaka to pursue her dream of becoming an idol. This week's Famitsu reveals that the game has somewhat of an Idolmaster-like production component, where you make Haruka take on daily lessons, then take part in auditions and performances via a rhythm mini game that shows Haruka dancing around as you press buttons with good timing.

Haruka's idol segment is part of the game's "Another Drama" component. Based off the few details leaking out of Famitsu, it appears that this part of the game presents side-stories for the various main characters. Haruka's Another Drama depicts the character's attempts at becoming a top idol. Shinada's involves baseball, and his confrontation with a former rival.

We're not sure of the details just yet, but it looks like Soejima's Another Drama involves survival on a snow covered mountain. Kiryu's Another Drama involves a "Taxi Battle." Yes, you will be given full control over your cab for this part, with some missions requiring that you transport passengers.

And here's some high res screens and story information about Shinada

I guarantee Haruka's dance game will be a reworked Project Diva.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

And here's some high res screens and story information about Shinada

I guarantee Haruka's dance game will be a reworked Project Diva.
Ah, people guessed right on the very first day. I wonder if it's just Haruka or if you'll be able to "produce" her friends too? Idolmaster and Yakuza, a match made in heaven....?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Policenaut posted:

Kiryu's Another Drama involves a "Taxi Battle." Yes, you will be given full control over your cab for this part, with some missions requiring that you transport passengers.
Please don't have lovely controls, please don't have lovely controls, please don't have lovely controls...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Andriasang posted:

We have additional details on Yakuza 5's newly announced "Another Drama" side stories thanks to a summary of Famitsu's latest article from Sokuho. If you're wondering about the circumstances behind Kazuma Kiryu's taxi mini game, look below.

Kazuma Kiryu

When Yakuza 5 begins in December 2012, Kazuma is a taxi driver in Fukuoka. One day, he comes into contact with Devils Killer, a group of street racers, and ends up taking part in a Race Battle on the Fukuoka highways.

Your goal in the Race Battle is to avoid other cars and construction areas and get to the goal first. You'll be able to customize your taxi, adding tires, turbos, wheels, body decals, and other items. While driving, you can drift and make use of special moves like "Explosive Race Heat Action" and "Secret Explosive Acceleration."

Outside of the Race Battle, you'll also be able to drive passengers to and from their destination. Famitsu shows Kiryu in conversation with his passengers.

Taiga Saejima

Saejima is in the snowy mountains of Hokkaido when he loses consciousness following an accident of some form. Just as he's about to freeze to death, he's saved by an elderly man. The old man tells Saejima of his pursuit of the legendary giant dragon Yama Oroshi.

Saejima's Another Drama is described as "hunting survival." Equipped with a hunting gun, you'll need to use stealth to approach and catch beasts. You'll also be able to make use of traps to catch your prey.

Haruka

Haruka's goal is to come out on top of Princess League, a tournament that determines the number one idol in Osaka. She was breezing through the tournament when she suddenly met the ultimate rival.

You'll need to help Haruka out in her live performances by playing a rhythm game. This involves tapping circle, triangle, square and X buttons as they move across a cursor. Different from the Hatsune Miku series, the cursor stays in one position. Sokuho says that it looks more like the rhythm-based games in Dream Club.

Outside of the rhythm game, you'll need to take part in hand shake meetings, where you use the d-pad to determine Haruka's reaction. You'll also take part in simple quiz programs, respond to magazine interviews, and make talk show appearances. These will contribute to Haruka's idol knowledge.

Tatsuo Shinada

We detailed Shinada's main background story earlier. His Another Drama story involves his meeting up with an old high school teammate. While he'd been hiding his baseball past, he ends up challenging his old teammate at batting.

This, of course, is played like a batting mini game. As you bat, you'll learn skills, gaining the ability to make the ball slow down for instance. Shinada will also meat his former coach and will be able to strengthen his skills even further.

Akiyama hasn't been explained yet for some reason. Everyone else's main feature sounds nuts though.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I am legitimately disappointed Haruka won't be breaking arms and jaws. Since 2, I've always hoped at some point an adult Haruka takes the lead, wearing a facsimile of Kiryu's old white and red suit.

Maybe Yakuza 8 or 9.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Coughing Hobo posted:

I am legitimately disappointed Haruka won't be breaking arms and jaws. Since 2, I've always hoped at some point an adult Haruka takes the lead, wearing a facsimile of Kiryu's old white and red suit.

Maybe Yakuza 8 or 9.

No, sorry. She will move to America right as she is about to come into her own.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
It better not be more hostess training for Akiyama.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope I get to wrestle the poo poo out of some poor fucker as Taichi in Yakuza 10. Or poo poo, have all of Kazuma's orphans grow up to be badass face punchers like Uncle.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Yechezkel posted:

Or if it is, he should at least dress up as a hostess and do missions that way.

Hey, is your Yakuza: Dead Souls game gathering dust? Sell it to me!

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 20, 2012

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Edit: double post

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Yechezkel posted:

On the one hand, I agree with you and hope it's more about his money lending.

On the other hand, I spent more time than I care to admit playing Hostess Dressup in Yakuza 4.

Electric Slug
Oct 30, 2011
I only hope the HEAT actions for taxi driving involve driving on two wheels while burning nitro or something equally manly. Nothing else will satisfty my love of heat actions in this game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

DAYTONAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Check out Saejima shooting a gun, a flaming baseball, and Haruka doing her best Idolmaster impression here!

Seriously, Haruka's section looks like Sega just retooled Idolmaster 2.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
That screenshot is beyond hilarious.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
So Kiryu's section is Crazy Taxi; Saejima's is D2; Haruka's is Idolmaster; baseball guy's is, uh, crazy baseball; Hopefully Akiyama's is more about money lending tests than Hostess Clubs. Super Money Heat Action!

Also: Let's go make some Kiryu-azy Money! (sorry)

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Good to see that I'm not the only one getting crazy D2 vibes off of that.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Kazuma being a cabbie is nothing but a way to give him a car for his inclusion in Sonic and Sega All Stars Racing. His All Star move is like the chase events, including throwing beer bottles at the other drivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I hope Saejima's section brings the return of beating up deadly animals with your bare hands.

• Locked thread