Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Pikachu
Mar 25, 2007

I wish you were real.
Worse than inventory day: assigned to double check counts on batteries.

Let's just say that is impossible because my counts, RGIS' counts and the store's OH counts were ALL different. We have batteries all over the store, tucked away on endcaps/various departments. Not to mention they're a high-theft item, they're tiny and easy to lose, and there's several thousand supposedly in our store.

I'm extremely pissed off that I wasted the entire day.

Dead Pikachu fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
They paid you to waste their time. What's wrong with that?

Has anyone else ever had a customer call 911 on them?

Taco Pirate
Jun 3, 2011
I feel your inventory pains. We did ours last week and I had to double-check the RGIS people on the men's accessories and basics (wallets, belts, packaged underwear and undershirts, socks, stuff like that). Of course corporate makes us do inventory on one of the biggest sale weeks in the early summer, despite the fact that we are pretty low volume in sales between Memorial Day and when this sale starts, for about 10-12 days, which would be perfect for doing inventory but noooo. So in between when RGIS did their counts before the store opened, and I did my double-checking at like noon, a bunch of stuff had already been sold. So I had to go through and figure out which 6 packages of mens boxers out of the 95 originally on the fixture weren't there anymore, and repeat that process by all the mens basics fixtures in the store and :sigh:

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
Our inventory is in August. Not looking forward to it.

I for one would like to know how in the hell I'm supposed to keep accurate counts on poo poo that gets stolen on a daily basis. Apparently no one in my city wants to pay for lipstick, nail polish, or razor cartridges. Or Degree body spray, for some mystifying reason. I can get twenty loving bottles of that poo poo in and within a day or two it's all gone. What the hell, it's like four dollars you cheap fucks.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Errr, what? You can't post this without a story behind it.

NarwhalParty
Jul 23, 2010

They paid you to waste their time. What's wrong with that?

We had someone call 911 to "make sure we were ok" when we didn't answer the phones because we were so busy.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Darth Freddy posted:

I have gotten use to seeing the difference in a man's and a women's toilets.

Man. Toilet is nasty as hell, urinal is splattered with god knows what and the sink is allays messy, also here the trash can is full of toilet paper with poo poo on it because apparently a lot of people do not know how to throw it in the toilet or come from a area with bad plumbing.

Woman. Toilets are fairly clean some times they may have that little poop stain on the side or under the toilet seat(It baffles me how poop stains get under a toilet seat for any gender. Is it some kind of fan like spray?), sink and even the mirror will be fairly clean. Trash will be everywhere though. Its like they do not know how to operate the little foot thing on the trash cans. Toilet paper, wrappers for feminine products festooned across the area like some kind of avant-garde art project.

This has always, always been my experience when cleaning toilets. I used to work for a janitorial service that would clean public buildings (great job, seriously), and without fail, the ladies' would always look like a garbage tornado had hit it, while the mens was all gross bodily waste, all the time.

Curiously enough, the most public of the buildings I cleaned, a (tiny)city hall, always had neat and spotless bathrooms. What the hell?

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
Civil servants, being robots, don't poo poo.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.
Spent most of my shift taking plastic pales to our upstairs stock room because they're cheap plastic poo poo and if you drop one even two feet onto a hard surface they explode into shrapnel, so of course they failed some safety test or another. Being the person in charge of handling recalls and such, I really see how goddamn cheap and dangerous all this stuff is. Two or three products this season alone have been recalled due to excessive lead, and now I have to hold these buckets in storage until they send an email okaying us to throw them away.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Taco Pirate posted:

I feel your inventory pains. We did ours last week and I had to double-check the RGIS people on the men's accessories and basics (wallets, belts, packaged underwear and undershirts, socks, stuff like that). Of course corporate makes us do inventory on one of the biggest sale weeks in the early summer, despite the fact that we are pretty low volume in sales between Memorial Day and when this sale starts, for about 10-12 days, which would be perfect for doing inventory but noooo. So in between when RGIS did their counts before the store opened, and I did my double-checking at like noon, a bunch of stuff had already been sold. So I had to go through and figure out which 6 packages of mens boxers out of the 95 originally on the fixture weren't there anymore, and repeat that process by all the mens basics fixtures in the store and :sigh:

I no longer fear hell, because I've experienced inventories firsthand, and Hell no longer holds any terror for me.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Darth Freddy posted:

I have gotten use to seeing the difference in a man's and a women's toilets.

The number one lesson I've learned in my wage slavery career is that 95% of Americans don't actually know how to flush a toilet. Regardless of gender.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've just rememembered something from my days working in a bookshop.

It was Christmas Eve, so our shelves were starting to look pretty bare. Anyway, I was tidying up the kids department and my manager came over and told me to hurry upa and make those shelves look full, nodding at a set of shelves with about 20 books scattered across enough space for 200 .

I genuinely thought she was joking, so I waved my arms and said ":haw: Shazam! :haw:"

She was not terribly amused.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Pookah posted:

":haw: Shazam! :haw:"

She was not terribly amused.

I am terribly amused. What did she expect you to DO, exactly? poo poo out some new books?

I can't remember if I've ever told my favorite retail story on SA- have I ever told you goons about the time somebody threw a stilleto at my face?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

foobyfooby posted:

I am terribly amused. What did she expect you to DO, exactly? poo poo out some new books?

I can't remember if I've ever told my favorite retail story on SA- have I ever told you goons about the time somebody threw a stilleto at my face?

:stare:
Nnnnno. No, I'm pretty sure I'd remember someone trying to murder you. Unless you mean a stilleto heel, in which case, still.

Volcano
Apr 10, 2008

we're leaving the planet
and you can't come

foobyfooby posted:

No, but you'd better be typing it up for us right now.

After learning my raise had been delayed indefinitely a few days ago, I found out today from the new girl that my boss had told her she was going to be paid manager wages after she finished two weeks of basic training, even though she's younger, less experienced and still a student who only applied looking for a summer job.

The same boss has been so intolerable lately that she's made at least three employees cry so far this week. At this point the only thing stopping me from just walking out the door is that quitting would probably look bad on my CV.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Today, a man who barely spoke English asked me for driving directions to all the shopping malls in Orange County.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

:stare:
Nnnnno. No, I'm pretty sure I'd remember someone trying to murder you. Unless you mean a stilleto heel, in which case, still.

I do mean a stiletto heel, sorry. I couldn't remember if I'd told it here and didn't want to be a dick posting the same story over and over.

I was 15 and working at an outlet shoe store. It was my very first big-girl job and I still look back on it with fondness, because I had a loving awesome manager who didn't take no poo poo. Becky made it clear from the get-go that I had every right to be treated as a human being, and that if anyone ever made me uncomfortable in any way, to come get her straight away and she'd handle it. She's awesome.

Anyway, I was working one day after school. It was a small store that would only have two people on the clock at any given time, except for back-to-school and Black Friday, big retail days like that. It was slow that day, and Becky was in the back having her dinner and reading a book while I stayed up front, straightening up and helping the odd customer that'd wander in. It was a perfectly peaceful day, until the She-Beast came in. She-Beast was a pretty, petite lady, dressed in a lovely gray skirt-suit and carrying one of our bags with a shoebox in it. I greeted her as she came in, and she gave me a big, beaming smile as she returned the greeting. She put the box on the counter and told me that she'd like to return these shoes, please, she'd bought them over her lunch break and upon getting them home and trying them on again, had decided that they weren't very comfortable after all.
"Of course, ma'am, let's just take a look here-" I open the shoebox. Her receipt is laid out neatly on top of the shoes, which had been re-stuffed with the packing paper. At this point I'm thinking this is going to be the easiest, most pleasant return in retail history. I quickly scan the receipt, note that it is well within the 90-day return period, then take a look at the shoes themselves. Right style, clean, not worn, same sizes, everything checks out. There will be no problem with this return, she's got everything here.
Now, I'm just a teenage Sales Assistant, newest to the store and lowest in the pecking order, and I am not allowed to do certain things like accept deliveries from the company truck, ring up family members, or process returns. I tell the lady, "Everything looks good here. :) If you'll wait just a moment, I'll get my manager to process your return for you--"
:ssj:"NO! YOU WILL ACCEPT THIS RETURN AND GIVE ME MY MONEY BACK."
:aaa:I try to feebly explain that the register won't allow me to process a return, a manager has to do it, but she cut me off.
:supaburn:"I WANT MY MONEY BACK RIGHT NOW!" As she's screaming, her face is literally contorting and purple with rage, so I don't notice her pick up the left shoe and sling it at me until it's already flying. Luckily for me she missed, but the fact that it went wide seemed to just make her angrier, so she picked up the right shoe and flung it at me, too. I ducked it, and ran to the back room.
"Becky!" :wth: She takes one look at me, drops her fork, and rushes out on the sales floor, to find this woman looming red-faced by the register, fists balled up at her sides, shoes on the other side of the cashwraps. Becky calmly tells me to go sit in the back for a second, picks up the shoes, disarms the woman's anger, processes the return, and sends the woman on her way.
Becky came back to where I was sitting, got me a candy bar from the machine, and asked what happened. I explained.
"Did you refuse the return or something?"
"No, not at all. I was coming to get you and she flipped out."
"Next time, don't worry about company policy. Come and get me, Delana, or Paula [the other managers] the second it goes sour, okay? Someone like that isn't going to be happy no matter what, so don't worry about getting in trouble."

Becky's my retail hero.
To this day, I don't know what I could've done to prevent the situation. It's not that I blame myself or feel bad about it, it's just that this woman went from perfectly pleasant to screaming hellfire in the blink of an eye. I was so shocked and confused by her reaction that I just froze, until she picked up that second shoe and my brain finally clunked into gear. I was 15 and still thought that most people's moms taught them to treat one another with kindness and respect, as my mom had taught me and my siblings. Nope.

That's the worst retail/food-service customer I've ever had, but there's also the creepy dude who asked me to marry him, and the customer who grabbed me by the shirt collar.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Oh, boy. This was a while ago, so the details aren't fresh, but here's the 911 story.

I worked at a truck stop. Truck drivers have all kinds of wacky payment methods for the insane amount of fuel they go through. One of the more common ones is the "fuel card". I don't actually know how they work, only that we had to call a toll-free number, and be assisted by a nice lady in a penitentiary call centre, when a transaction wouldn't go through on the register. Another thing about these cards is that a bunch of fun numbers have to be entered and matched up with the card issuer's info on that particular card. If you fudge one or miss one, the payment won't go through.

So, some Russian dude comes in, and I ring him up. (NOTE: He wants to pre-auth. Hasn't pumped anything). He gives me all his numbers. No sale. Okay, so I try again. No sale. Then, he starts getting all cocky like, "C'mon, guy! You new? Where is this guy that knows what he doing?" I am that guy, so that pissed me off. Anyway, time to call the nice lady at the call centre. She tells me that one of the numbers doesn't match up. Turns out it's a new card. Sometimes, dispatch/management screws things up when they have hundreds of drivers to give new cards to. Ah.

So, I tell Russian dude to call his boss and get the right number from him. If he can't, his boss has to call the call centre and find out what it is, then relay to driver, who relays to me. Russian dude will not do this. He stands off to the side of the register, glaring at me, for 15 minutes. I call the call centre three more times, at Russian's behest. Same response every damned time.

The kid I was working with comes back from jerking off in the shower room or something. I tell him what's going on, he tells me it's not his problem, and I gently caress off for 20 minutes or so because serving all the customers and dealing with angry Russian was stressful.

So, I come back, and kid looks like his salad was shat in. He leaves again. Russian thought I was discussing with my manager how to best serve him in this situation. It's Saturday. No manager. He returns to angry glaring for a few minutes, then tells me that this is really poor customer service, and the rest of it he didn't get to spit out, because I'd suddenly found a spine.

NO, YOU LISTEN TO ME, FUCKHEAD. I TOLD YOU EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEEDED TO DO IN ORDER FOR THIS TO GO THROUGH. YOU DIDN'T LISTEN. YOU CAN STAND THERE ALL DAY. I DON'T GIVE A poo poo.

You...you swear to me! You swear to me, uh? I call police. I call 911.

DO IT.

So, he does. He picks up the pay phone and screams incomprehensibly into it. Two cruisers come right away because they don't know what the gently caress. They spend 45 minutes getting this guy off my lot. Half of this was Russian telling them what a big meanie I was to him.

(I see I've jumped tenses a bunch. I just woke up. Don't kill me.)

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

foobyfooby posted:

and the customer who grabbed me by the shirt collar.

I've had this happen, but it was a lady who grabbed the back of my collar to see what size I was wearing, since she was trying on the same dress. Incredibly rude.

I guess one of the signboards at my store fell on some poor girl, so they all had to be taken down. I knew the TV wall was dangerous (front facing box sets would tumble down constantly), but I didn't think the signage would start attacking people!

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

foobyfooby posted:

To this day, I don't know what I could've done to prevent the situation.
Set her on fire the moment she entered the store.

Sure, there'll be the odd customer who's not going to deserve it, but the innocent victims will be statistically insignificant.

foobyfooby
Aug 2, 2006
sploight!

Nessa posted:

I've had this happen, but it was a lady who grabbed the back of my collar to see what size I was wearing, since she was trying on the same dress. Incredibly rude.

I've had this happen too. It's insane- I'm a loving real, live person with personal space, not a goddamn mannequin.

What I was referring to was a "gentleman" who was angry that his credit card got declined, I think it was. I was working in a Chick-fil-A in a mall at Christmastime. Every single person I helped in the entire month of December was angry enough to spit nails.

The guy leaned across the counter and grabbed my shirt collar and pulled me towards him, so that I was bent forward over the register a little. My manager reacted quicker than I did, and shoved the guy away, went racing around the counter, called security, and got the chucklefuck banned from the mall. Chicken-bitch wins!

Semprini posted:

Set her on fire the moment she entered the store.

Sure, there'll be the odd customer who's not going to deserve it, but the innocent victims will be statistically insignificant.

I like the cut of your jib.
My first impression was that she was going to be that rare dream customer. Pleasant, polite, smiles all around. Ha, cruel cosmic joke.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Today, also, an elderly man with a severe spastic condition asked me for "medical books with explicit pictures of a man and a woman, you know, heh, heh" and made the Hannibal Lecter tongue noise.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Got an e-mail today from my supervisor:

"ATTENTION! We need to know how many paper towel dispensers you have in your bathrooms. Corporate is considering installing new dispensers in our (employee only) restrooms and we need a response ASAP."

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I have a hilarious story from a couple of days ago. For those who've forgotten, I work in a major Australian supermarket.

The other day, I got to work early for a 730am shift. My store manager had decided that from now on, he was going to cook breakfast for all the staff a couple times a week.

We don't actually have cooking facilities in our lunchroom, so he was using a portable electric grill to fry up bacon, eggs, sausages and mushrooms.

About half an hour after the store had opened for trade, the smoke triggered our fire alarm, and he ended up causing an evacuation of the entire shopping mall.

After 20 mins in the carpark or so, the fire brigade gives us all the OK to come back in. The store manager had gone in with them, and he comes out, beams at us, and just says " breakfast is ready!"

Our checkout manager rotates us off for an extra break one by one so we can all eat breakfast.

hawk989s
Feb 13, 2003

• 244 Points
  • 226 Minutes
  • 6 Overtimes
  • 2 Days
  • One for the ages

This is a reason you don't want to work retail? That sounds awesome

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
I had a small victory at work today. The DM was in the store so everyone was kissing rear end and being nit picky. Suddenly it was not OK to wear a black undershirt under my black work shirt (that's so short it shows half my torso when I lift my arms) and when I come back from lunch, I need to make sure my undershirt is gone.
So while I'm sitting in the break room, another manager comes in and I tell him about it. He literally goes "that's loving stupid." and then goes to the store manager about it. About 5 minutes later, he comes in, points at me, "I like your style, keep doing what you're doing, wear your shirt. I override everyone."

gently caress yes.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

silversiren posted:

I had a small victory at work today. The DM was in the store so everyone was kissing rear end and being nit picky. Suddenly it was not OK to wear a black undershirt under my black work shirt (that's so short it shows half my torso when I lift my arms) and when I come back from lunch, I need to make sure my undershirt is gone.
So while I'm sitting in the break room, another manager comes in and I tell him about it. He literally goes "that's loving stupid." and then goes to the store manager about it. About 5 minutes later, he comes in, points at me, "I like your style, keep doing what you're doing, wear your shirt. I override everyone."

gently caress yes.

Ah, DM visits. :allears:

When our scumfuck DM comes in, the guy that never tucks his shirt in always does, all the cashiers try to get customers to buy the drive item, and we all remind them about the survey on the back of the receipt.

All the while, the DM is doing a walkthrough of the store with the manager and criticizing everything while praising nothing.

Some of you may remember the pictures of our stockroom, how it was so bad down the long leg that you had about two or three feet of space to move. My manager pushed out enough stock in the space of three days to widen that to seven or eight feet, and the DM STILL wasn't happy.

copy of a
Mar 13, 2010

by zen death robot
Of course now I'm in the ER and I do not think I'm going to make it to work. I've been given poo poo before about missing work and subsequently going to the hospital. What exactly should I tell them and when? The last time I called out dick, we all got a speech about "we need people who can work. We can always replace you, we are on a hiring spree."
Please, I was admitted to the ER for severe panic attack (could not breath for 1 hr!) and thinking about the poo poo work is going to give me for having to miss again is making my chest hurt. Please help me.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I honestly don't know what to say other than if you're in the middle of a panic attack so severe that you went to, or were taken to, an emergency room, then worrying about missing work the next day is probably a symptom.

Given the timestamp on your post I would expect that a competent ER staff by now has you dosed with an antianxiety med; in this ideal world you would most likely be sleeping off the physical exhaustion which comes with a panic attack.

That said, if you're going to get fired because you missed work after being hospitalized, there's really not a whole lot you can do. I mean, had you just lived through a panic attack until you lost consciousness, in the very best case you most likely would have missed work due to...unconsciousness.

By this I mean to say: being ill is the cause of your not-going-to-work. The moment you became ill, you lost all control over your actions with regard to your job (and most likely many other things). Try not to worry too much about things you can't control.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

silversiren posted:

Of course now I'm in the ER and I do not think I'm going to make it to work. I've been given poo poo before about missing work and subsequently going to the hospital. What exactly should I tell them and when? The last time I called out dick, we all got a speech about "we need people who can work. We can always replace you, we are on a hiring spree."
Please, I was admitted to the ER for severe panic attack (could not breath for 1 hr!) and thinking about the poo poo work is going to give me for having to miss again is making my chest hurt. Please help me.

Have you looked up labor laws for the state you live in? There might be something buried in there about firing people for having a legitimate, documented medical condition, particularly, employers not being allowed to do it.

I'm guessing you bring in doctor's notes of some kind every time you have one of these absences, so that's something else to your credit if push comes to shove.

Tell them the truth when you call in. You had a panic attack and couldn't breathe for an hour. Don't worry about the poo poo they could to give you. The law is probably on your side. :sympathy: If they give you any poo poo...well, I'll dress up like the Dragonborn and go apeshit on 'em. :downs:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Not a customer, but here at the hotel I've had a crazy homeless lady use our payphone to call 911 on us, claiming we were holding Barry Manilow hostage and raping him in a nonexistent room. Does that count? Nothing came of it except for an amusing conversation with the 911 operator who called us back to confirm that crazy lady was indeed crazy.

Oh, graveyard shifts. :allears:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

Helter Skelter posted:

Oh, graveyard shifts. :allears:

So true. You have to work one consistently to understand.

Now I don't exactly hate working retail, but some people are quite puzzling.

I live and work in a city (town?) named Beverly.

Ringing up a customer:

Me: "Would you like a bag for that?"
Customer: "No thanks, I live across the street."
Me: "Oh really? Me too... I gotta tell you, I love the commute :mmmhmm:" (it's true)
Customer: "Oh, so you work in Beverly?"
Me: "Yes..."

Another customer
As I move my hand towards where the receipt is printed out, I say "Would you like a bag for that?"
Customer: "No thanks. Could I get a bag for that?"
Obviously he wasn't paying much attention and figured I said receipt, but it's strange for the one paying attention.

I blame it on it being early in the morning.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 16, 2012

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yesterday morning there was a very gruff gentleman who came into the store. I was just behind the counter looking at a receipt I had to sign when he comes in all "You gonna help me or what?"

He wanted Pink Floyd, so I led him to the Pink Floyd CD section, when he goes, "DVDs, darlin'!"

So I show him those and it looks like we only had one Pink Floyd DVD that he already owned, so he said he'll just get the CDs instead.

I remembered our promotional offer and told him if he spent over $15, he could get Pink Floyd's A Foot in the Door for $7.99.

"Foot in the Door? Doesn't exist, that's impossible!" And he just waived me off.

Thinking I had spoken the wrong title like a dumbass, I go and grab the album and sure enough, it's called "A Foot in the Door", so I show it to him. After figuring out his purchases, he gruffly apologizes for being rude. "I thought I knew everything about Pink Floyd."

I ring him up and wish him a good day. As soon as he leaves, my manager, who had witnessed the whole thing turns to me and says, "That guy seemed like a real douchebag!"

I like my manager. :3:

It helped that later in the morning a customer just started chatting with me for a good 10 minutes or so while I did restock. I like talking to interesting people. :)

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I don't really know what to think of my store manager anymore. He always seemed like an rear end in a top hat before, and he's the type that never, ever says anything encouraging like "hey good job", just rattles off a list of poo poo for you to do. Now that I'm management, he jokes around and generally acts like less of an rear end.

But he still acts like a jerk to regular employees. I don't really know why he'd be a jerk to regular associates and cool to his management team, unless he has some kind of...gently caress, I dunno, superiority bias or something. The other cool managers treat everyone the same, management or otherwise.

I kinda feel bad for him, he seems like he really wants to be the awesome manager that everyone likes but has no idea how to be a boss and be friendly at the same time.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Moneyball posted:

As I move my hand towards where the receipt is printed out, I say "Would you like a bag for that?"

Hey, that reminds me of the time I rolled out of bed, stumbled straight to work, and asked my first customer if he wanted a bag for his purchase...of 500 litres of diesel fuel.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
A few days ago my supervisor was standing next to me waiting to get the 1 o'clock reading and I accidentally tried to give her the customer's change :downs:

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011

Shnooks posted:

A few days ago my supervisor was standing next to me waiting to get the 1 o'clock reading and I accidentally tried to give her the customer's change :downs:

Ugh, that reminds me of the (several) times I'd be on the checkout finishing up a transaction when the person who paid me moves aside a bit to pack bags and their friend/parent/partner would move to where they were standing, so I offer the change to them instead. This would prompt them to gleefully exclaim that the money was theirs now since I gave it to them not the person who paid, always in a loud excited voice as if getting £2.36 was a lottery win or something. Yes yes, very funny.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Robzor McFabulous posted:

Ugh, that reminds me of the (several) times I'd be on the checkout finishing up a transaction when the person who paid me moves aside a bit to pack bags and their friend/parent/partner would move to where they were standing, so I offer the change to them instead. This would prompt them to gleefully exclaim that the money was theirs now since I gave it to them not the person who paid, always in a loud excited voice as if getting £2.36 was a lottery win or something. Yes yes, very funny.

I do that all the time. Mostly with husband/wife couples. The wife gets indignant and then admits defeat when I point out that it's all going to the same place anyway! Of course, I do it in a joking tone.

I'm waiting, WAITING for the day some idiot loving asshead decides to say "YOU FLIPPED UP THE THINGY IN THE TENS YOU GOTTA GIVE ME A TEN NOW". Probably not going to happen...but I wouldn't put anything past our clientele. :geno:

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
"Oh it didn't scan, must be free!"

Not that it makes me angry or anything, but it's just the "I'm Rick James, bitch!" of customer comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect painting
Nov 27, 2011

I've been working at my supermarket for three weeks now since school ended in May and they still don't have a paycheck for me. Three weeks in a row with no loving paycheck. Our fairly new CS manager mumbled something about sending an email when I came to pick up my check on Friday and gave me $100 from the till in compensation. Seriously, I come back to work here every single summer, is it honestly that hard to tell payroll not to delete my account number or whatever so I can simply punch in and work?

I've been working here for years and I'd be lying if I said this was the first time something like this happened.