Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Looking for a phone which I'll mostly use for videos, music, games, web browsing etc, should I go for a Galaxy S III or an iPhone 4S?
e: or something else I guess if those are both bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The iPhone's the best all-around phone. While the larger screens of Android phones are nice for browsing and video, any Android phone simply isn't very good at music and games. Other things that go in the iPhone's favor: the apps are better and the hardware is much better than any phone out there save the N9/high-end Lumias.

While Android phones are better at this one thing or that one thing, an iPhone is good all-around. You can't go wrong with one.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Many Android phones don't have teeny-tiny 3.5" screens, which makes them great for videos and web browsing.

For games, the iPhones still have more of a selection, though the top hits are often released on both platforms.

So the real answer is "it depends". What's your previous smartphone experience? What do your friends and family seem to have?

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

I've had an iPod touch and loved it, but never had a smartphone.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Do you have a library of music and apps built up from your iPod, or are you fine with starting anew? Well, the music can be imported, but not apps or iTunes video.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Rastor posted:

Many Android phones don't have teeny-tiny 3.5" screens, which makes them great for videos and web browsing.

For games, the iPhones still have more of a selection, though the top hits are often released on both platforms.

So the real answer is "it depends". What's your previous smartphone experience? What do your friends and family seem to have?

The key words are "all-around". Android can be better for those tasks with the big screens, but it just isn't as good with apps and games especially. iOS has the breadth and depth in quality, while Android doesn't match up as well right now.

Since you liked your iPod touch, you'll like an iPhone.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Rastor posted:

Do you have a library of music and apps built up from your iPod, or are you fine with starting anew? Well, the music can be imported, but not apps or iTunes video.
Nah I'm fine with starting again. Probably going with an iPhone then. Is it worth getting a 4S or should i just get a 4 or what?

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Apple has decided to fragment their ecosystem by denying features to pre-4S phones, so if you're getting an iPhone, get a 4S.

Be aware that you're already several months into the 4S lifecycle so you'll have only have 4-5 months max to enjoy it before the new iPhone comes out and makes all current iPhones instantly garbage.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

Would that happen with Galaxy S IIIs? It's a two year contract so that doesn't sound good :/

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

You'll get support throughout the life of the contract and then some. There's nothing to really worry about. The iPhone 4 being referenced is a 2-year old phone. For reference, none of the Android phones that were on sale when the 4 first went on sale are running the latest version of Android.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Well if you're on Verizon it's been less than 2 years, but the "instantly garbage" thing was (mostly) a joke. Other than the intentionally left out features iPhones are well supported by updates. With Android to be certain of prompt updates you need to buy your phone directly from the Google Play store, which currently means the Galaxy Nexus. It's $400 but on the plus side you can activate it on prepaid plans which cost only $30-45/month.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Jun 16, 2012

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The domestic GS III revisions are frustrating. I don't mind swapping the Exynos quadcore for the Snapdragon S4 since it's supposed to sip power or whatever, but it's pretty lovely that they're (apparently?) ditching the Wolfon DAC that they brought back for the Exynos one.

Basically there's no reason to buy anything beyond a Galaxy Nexus right now for Android. Don't even get me started on the HTC One X, gently caress.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

OK so should I go for a Galaxy Nexus or an iPhone?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

that would depend on whether you want to use Android or an iPhone

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

I think I'll go with an iPhone. If I intend to watch youtube videos and browse the web a fair amount, should I go for unlimited data? I have no idea how far 1gb will go.

existential anger
Jun 4, 2012

Country/Provider: Victoria, Australia.
Current contract status: I'm currently on an Optus $35 plan and using the iPhone 3GS.
Budget (phone/plan): Around $800 for the phone. If I was to enter a plan, I'd be willing to pay around $50 maximum per month.
Features I know I want:
- Rock solid build quality. Must also be able to survive occasional drops.
- 4.3" or less. I personally think the HTC One X is far too large.
- Solid camera.
- Sharp, bright screen that is usable outdoors.
- Good mobile reception.
- Butter smooth when it comes to email/maps/web browsing only. I don't care about gaming performance and don't care about specs.

I'm pretty OS agnostic since I don't actually do a whole lot with my phone. If my phone can run smoothly while doing the above things, I'm happy with it. The iPhone 5 seems like a perfect option but I'm curious if there are any Android phones that fit this criteria. It seems like there isn't really much of an option outside of the Galaxy Nexus and I'm not exactly a fan of its build.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I think I'll go with an iPhone. If I intend to watch youtube videos and browse the web a fair amount, should I go for unlimited data? I have no idea how far 1gb will go.

You def should get an iPhone.

Main question there is how much would you do that on wifi versus cell Network, what is the monthly price difference, and does that carrier have overages or just throttling?

1GB is not a lot of data for video though. It would be doable, but you should probably consider unlimited unless the price difference is outrageous.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

750mb for £31 a month or unlimited for £38 a month.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Infinite Monkeys posted:

750mb for £31 a month or unlimited for £38 a month.

That seems a no-brainer to me, but I don't know your financial situation.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Endless Mike posted:

That seems a no-brainer to me, but I don't know your financial situation.

In the US you can just watch your usage, and upgrade to the higher tier before the end of the month if it turns out you will go over. Start low and do that for a few months if you want.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dr Strangepants posted:

I was about to click the purchase button and then I remembered the IYG forum. Please tell me if I was about to do something stupid...

Country/Provider: MI, USA / Verizon

Current contract status: Time for a renewal! I am currently in a family plan with a friend to save money, but it wouldn't be a big deal to bail on it.

Budget (phone/plan): TIGHT. I get paid peanuts, so I really want to minimize monthly expenses. I currently pay for a typical non-data plan with 500 texts which comes out to $47 a month.

Features I know I want:
- It must have some sort of camera
- Unless by some miracle it's cheaper, I don't want a data plan required.
- I really like texting, so a QWERTY pad is a big plus.
- For the love of god, it cannot pocket-dial or even pocket-unlock (why is dumbphone software so lovely?).

I was about to renew my 2-year contract in exchange for a free LG Cosmos 2, which hardly seems like an upgrade from my LG Voyager. It looks like every dumb phone is kind of lovely though?? I'm not against smart phones but I don't think I can afford a data plan, and I doubt I would use all those apps very much. I'd give it a shot if the phone will be that much better for a small price increase. I do have WIFI at home but I've never had a device that could use it.

You know, for dumbphones it's probably a better idea to go prepaid. I was paying like $15 a month for my first cell phone.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Country/Provider: USA/Sprint

Current contract status: Ends on July 1st 2012, 2 year

Budget (phone/plan): I guess around $150-200 for a new phone, my plan is pretty set and I have no issues with it since I get a discount through my mom's employer.

Features I know I want: A phone that will last. I have an LG Remarq that I got free with my last upgrade and while it was alright to start with, it's incredibly old and slow compared to a smartphone, and since I've never had a smartphone before so I'd like to try something nice. Don't want an iPhone, was gonna get a Galaxy SIII but the processor being nearly the same as the SII kinda turned me off.

I've heard good things about the Nexus but I know it's getting a little up there in age.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Get a Galaxy Nexus. It's the least hassle-free Android device. Google maintains the software on Nexus devices, not Samsung, so it isn't held together by hopes and dreams as is often the case with Samsung devices on Sprint.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Godzilla07 posted:

Get a Galaxy Nexus. It's the least hassle-free Android device. Google maintains the software on Nexus devices, not Samsung, so it isn't held together by hopes and dreams as is often the case with Samsung devices on Sprint.

I think you mean most hassle-free. :D

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Oh, huh. I double checked the Nexus and I don't know why but I thought it came out in 2010 when it came out in December of 2011. I guess that's recent enough for a phone that got rave reviews to last me two years. Is the big question between the EVO LTE and the Nexus nowadays? I guess they're both good I just don't know what the major / minor differences are in support / feedback of the systems.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Concurred posted:

Oh, huh. I double checked the Nexus and I don't know why but I thought it came out in 2010 when it came out in December of 2011. I guess that's recent enough for a phone that got rave reviews to last me two years. Is the big question between the EVO LTE and the Nexus nowadays? I guess they're both good I just don't know what the major / minor differences are in support / feedback of the systems.

Yeah, the evo and nexus are both great phones. go to a store, play with them, pick the one you like more. The Evo has better hardware, the Nexus will have better software support.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The software and support pedigree on the Galaxy Nexus make it a runaway superior choice over the One X. The One X has a bit nicer screen, a little better camera, and HTC's trademark catastrophe-in-a-pocket software stack smeared all over Android.

Buy Nexus devices or buy iPhones, seriously.

EDIT: and before someone comes in and is all "blah blah the new version of Sense is way less offensive than before," you're basically saying they switched from dogshit to organic dogshit. Android should never be skinned, period

kbar fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 17, 2012

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

The software and support pedigree on the Galaxy Nexus make it a runaway superior choice over the One X. The One X has a bit nicer screen, a little better camera, and HTC's trademark catastrophe-in-a-pocket software stack smeared all over Android.

Buy Nexus devices or buy iPhones, seriously.

EDIT: and before someone comes in and is all "blah blah the new version of Sense is way less offensive than before," you're basically saying they switched from dogshit to organic dogshit. Android should never be skinned, period

Don't forget the gimped HTC Bluetooth drivers that can't pair with anything but headsets and other phones. Not a deal breaker, just another reason Sense is not worth it.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Android sturdy phones:

Motorola Defy

Sony Xperia Active

Smasung Galaxy Xtreme/Xcover

I might be missing some because I am a cellphone hater, and I just need one that is serious water proof, and drop proof. Regardless of how rugged they say they are, I will want to put a rubber bumper cover on it as well.

If anyone has a rugged smartphone, chime in. Why a smart phone? Because I am going to use it as a Wifi hotspot and texting has become a job necessity, and 9 key sucks for texting anything of substance.

I am a fan on my iPod Touch and would consider an iPhone with an OtterBox type cover, but it looks like they still cost 10 million dollars.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

It's too bad those phones are really lovely. I'd just get a Galaxy Nexus and put it in an OtterBox Defender, maybe Liquipel the bitch if you're worried.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

kalibar posted:

It's too bad those phones are really lovely. I'd just get a Galaxy Nexus and put it in an OtterBox Defender, maybe Liquipel the bitch if you're worried.

I think this is the right answer.

It's hard to say for sure without knowing exactly what your uses are. I will tell you that when I was working on construction job sites, I kept my smartphone of the time in a case with a screen protector. It got dropped often, left in my tool belt, really dusty, etc, and it survived just fine.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
This is why we like the internet. Of course getting a good phone and protecting it works better.

Galaxy Nexus and an otterbox then. I am off to do research. Thanks thread!

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

I'm in Saint Louis, have a beater phone that I'm not paying for at the moment and I was looking to move onto a smartphone. I was thinking of buying a Galaxy Nexus from Google and going on the T-Mobile value plan. Is there any reason this would be a terrible idea, and what do I have to do to make this happen? Just order the phone and go to a t-mobile dealer?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

More or less. You could probably even just order the plan online at the same time you order the phone, but I'm not sure.

T-Mobile also has a $30/month prepaid plan if you don't use many minutes. Even with added minutes, you'll probably still come out ahead of the Value plan and not have to be on contract.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

kapalama posted:

This is why we like the internet. Of course getting a good phone and protecting it works better.

Galaxy Nexus and an otterbox then. I am off to do research. Thanks thread!

Upon research holy heck are those expensive even subsidized, and the case is another $100. SInce I fully expect to destroy the phone, I need something cheaper to replace.

On the subject of replacing phones, is there a way to clone a SIM so that when the phone gets completely lost there is a way to get back to work reasonably quickly, buy popping the backup SIM in to a new phone?

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Country/Provider: USA/Sprint (Sero)

Current contract status: Upgrade available

Budget (phone/plan): 200ish. The cheaper the better though.

Features I know I want:
- Good Camera

I have an Optimus S right now and if the camera was better I'd be in love. I'm guessing the iPhone still has the best camera currently available but I was wondering if theres anything comparable? I don't care about apps/games/music and very rarely watch videos on my phone so almost nothing besides the camera really matters to me. I'm sure this is stretching it but if it allowed me to stay on the $40 dollar SERO plan that would be great too.

hokiehokiehokiehigh
Aug 3, 2007
tech tech vpi
Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

Current contract status: No contract

Budget (phone/plan): < 50/mo

Features I know I want: Unlimited voice

This is for my mom who isn't good with computers and such. I got a new phone so we're splitting our family plan and I'm going with a cheaper prepaid plan with a lot of text/data. She just needs minutes and lots of them. We're currently on the T-Mobile unlimited minutes plan + unlimited texting (1 line)for like 89.99 a mo which comes out to something like 115 with taxes (too much for no data).

I just need a single line plan with a lot of minutes (I THINK she talks with people on verizon a lot I'm not sure) and no text/data. Prepaid/postpaid doesn't make a difference.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

aw yiss posted:

Country/Provider: USA/Sprint (Sero)

Current contract status: Upgrade available

Budget (phone/plan): 200ish. The cheaper the better though.

Features I know I want:
- Good Camera

I have an Optimus S right now and if the camera was better I'd be in love. I'm guessing the iPhone still has the best camera currently available but I was wondering if theres anything comparable? I don't care about apps/games/music and very rarely watch videos on my phone so almost nothing besides the camera really matters to me. I'm sure this is stretching it but if it allowed me to stay on the $40 dollar SERO plan that would be great too.

Sprint is slowly killing $40 SERO, so No worthwhile phone at this pint will keep that plan (you will go to $50 a month). I think the iPhone 4S still has the best camera, but take a look at the Evo LTE, the camera there is also supposed to be really good (I'm a terrible judge with cameras). Try them both out, they both over fit your needs other wise but will be w very nice upgrade from your current phone.

Reminder that SERO users must buy through sprint.com or a sprint corporate store.

TheRevolution1
Sep 21, 2011
The Galaxy S III has the same camera as the iphone4s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
^^^^^^^ welp ^^^^

Duckman2008 posted:

Sprint is slowly killing $40 SERO, so No worthwhile phone at this pint will keep that plan (you will go to $50 a month). I think the iPhone 4S still has the best camera, but take a look at the Evo LTE, the camera there is also supposed to be really good (I'm a terrible judge with cameras). Try them both out, they both over fit your needs other wise but will be w very nice upgrade from your current phone.

Reminder that SERO users must buy through sprint.com or a sprint corporate store.

The sgs3 has the same camera module as the iphone 4s