Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Count Uvula posted:

Every class but Mage and Sorceror has access to either blocking or rolling...?
I don't think Warrior gets either block or dodge in their skill repertoire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

I don't think Warrior gets either block or dodge in their skill repertoire.
Warrior is all about taking hits and dishing them out though, Warrior even gets an augment that reduces staggering.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Count Uvula posted:

Every class but Mage and Sorceror has access to either blocking or rolling...?

I suppose I wasn't specific enough. I would like to be able to block or dodge with a character that has both sword and bow equipped. Is this possible?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

titties posted:

I suppose I wasn't specific enough. I would like to be able to block or dodge with a character that has both sword and bow equipped. Is this possible?

No, but there's a parry skill assassin's get for swords.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Count Uvula posted:

No, but there's a parry skill assassin's get for swords.

A parry is good enough, thanks. I thought I was going to have to either continue to use daggers or swap my bow for a shield when I switched to assassin based on the skills it gave me by default.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

gibbed posted:

Warrior is all about taking hits and dishing them out though, Warrior even gets an augment that reduces staggering.
Yeah, I know. I was mostly thinking about active skills that negates or avoids damage completly.Once I max out Strider for my current character I might try out the Warrior vocation for a while.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Really?

Jesus Christ the AI in this game is some of the worst I've ever seen. Enemies never get easier because there's all of five weapons I've used over the course of the game because apparently there's one weapon vendor in the whole of the god drat world and he never gets any new stock in. Wanted to go back to whatever the gently caress the ruined castle was, and my entire team gets slaughtered by ogres and harpies. And my last saved game apparently didn't 'save' or something because it defaulted me back to the last checkpoint save.

Which was when I got new pawns out.

Six hours ago.

Thanks, Capcom!

E: Oh wow, it's before I got new pawns out. That's some kinda checkpoint system there you inept shitheads. Maybe if I could save in multiple slots this kinda poo poo wouldn't happen!

Hey, here's an idea for the sequel: Not creating spell effects so god drat thick you literally can't see through them! That'd be real rad! I might've been able to see the ogre charging at me if I could've seen through my two mages' loving giant cloud spell effects! And maybe a quest system that wasn't total poo poo, that'd be pretty great, too! If I had any clue what I was supposed to do for half the quests in my log, I might be having more fun!

Where's a gold idol? Who the gently caress knows because the game literally tells you nothing and gives you no map indicators. I gave in, stole the bronze one from Mister Burnt-Arms and gave it to the drat blacksmith. And I found that by accident because I wondered if he served an actual purpose as opposed to 'here's a character that seems important but nope' and went back to inspect his cave. How is it 2012 and quests are this vague?

I never found that guy from the starting village out near the bandits' camp. He never loving spawned anywhere in the area the quest marker claimed he was. I searched all around the place and he was simply nowhere. Quest is still cluttering my log, though! Still claiming he's there! I waited around the clock and he never popped in anywhere. Where's a snakeskin purse? No clue! Who's Selene and where is she? Your guess is as good as mine.

Think I should just play this with a guide open. Convinced as this point that if you want to do anything but dick around, that it's the only way to enjoy yourself.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

notZaar posted:

Actually I think that Shadow Fort quest is really a good indicator of the game in general. The quest itself is really cool, but the whole thing seems kind of cheap. From the small scale to the ridiculously crappy cheer the soldiers give at the end. I mean I know in a big game like this you have to spread the budget around, but this was supposed to be Capcom's most expensive game ever (unless I'm horribly misremembering the pre-release info) and it sure doesn't seem like it.

Haha, yeah. That loving cheer.

Sir Whatever: Raaaaaargh!

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
You're living up to your reputation of getting incoherently mad and having a meltdown about the most ridiculous things, ChibiSoma, please keep it up :allears:

At least in this game you can create the forced lesbian romances you've always demanded out of anyone who creates entertainment for you!

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Oh ChibiSoma, you scamp. :allears:

If ogres and harpies of all things are slaughtering you there is something going terribly wrong.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
Sorry to anyone who was using my Pawn Rincewind/Esme and will soon find out that they have vanished and been replaced by a level 1 pawn, I'm starting a new game to try out some magic vocations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Agean90 posted:

Holy poo poo, are there infinite spawning dire wolves at night this loving annoying

edit finally they're all dead. Christ I think I kill at least 50 of the drat things.

Ah, to be young and worry about dire wolves...

Tim Chuma
Dec 19, 2009
Strike that, reverse it. Was stuck at the hydra. Found out randomly how to beat it same as the worms in Everfall.

I didn't originally buy Skyrim until a month after it came out and had been watching someone else's Let's Play for about 100 parts so it was a bit easier, at least it made me not want to rush through it like that person did.

Does not really seem to be the guides that were around for Skyrim as yet (there are two Wikis for that game at least.)

Tim Chuma fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jun 17, 2012

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

I really, REALLY want to go ahead and start New Game +. But then I'll have to leave the Everfall and all its delicious loot behind until I get to the Post-Dragon again! But I want to take my time and enjoy a world with a non-lovely sky again! This game never stops paralyzing you with options.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I'm sorta glad the game doesn't give you much help in quests, you have pawns, if the ones you have are clueless, hire ones that know, or use trial and error, if you screw up, remember what went wrong for next time, its what I did.
Be thankful Capcom didn't do what Dragon Quest 9 did and have most of the quests tell you to do something somewhere with nothing on the map, only a vague hint in the quest box.

Dragon's Dogma at least gives you quest markers and other Players Pawns who will point out directions if they have done the quest.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Judge Tesla posted:

I'm sorta glad the game doesn't give you much help in quests, you have pawns, if the ones you have are clueless, hire ones that know, or use trial and error, if you screw up, remember what went wrong for next time, its what I did.
Be thankful Capcom didn't do what Dragon Quest 9 did and have most of the quests tell you to do something somewhere with nothing on the map, only a vague hint in the quest box.

Dragon's Dogma at least gives you quest markers and other Players Pawns who will point out directions if they have done the quest.

They also get significantly better at fighting enemies as time goes on, or at least I feel like it. When I was first starting out on my new character I thought that all of my pawns were idiots, compared to how they were when I was using mostly ones with 3 star knowledge against every enemy type.

CheechLizard
Jul 1, 2000

It stays at 50%, goy!

ChibiSoma posted:

Really?

Jesus Christ the AI in this game is some of the worst I've ever seen. Enemies never get easier because there's all of five weapons I've used over the course of the game because apparently there's one weapon vendor in the whole of the god drat world and he never gets any new stock in. Wanted to go back to whatever the gently caress the ruined castle was, and my entire team gets slaughtered by ogres and harpies. And my last saved game apparently didn't 'save' or something because it defaulted me back to the last checkpoint save.

Six hours ago.

Thanks, Capcom!

E: Oh wow, it's before I got new pawns out. That's some kinda checkpoint system there you inept shitheads. Maybe if I could save in multiple slots this kinda poo poo wouldn't happen!

Hey, here's an idea for the sequel: Not creating spell effects so god drat thick you literally can't see through them! That'd be real rad! I might've been able to see the ogre charging at me if I could've seen through my two mages' loving giant cloud spell effects! And maybe a quest system that wasn't total poo poo, that'd be pretty great, too! If I had any clue what I was supposed to do for half the quests in my log, I might be having more fun!

Where's a gold idol? Who the gently caress knows because the game literally tells you nothing and gives you no map indicators. I gave in, stole the bronze one from Mister Burnt-Arms and gave it to the drat blacksmith. And I found that by accident because I wondered if he served an actual purpose as opposed to 'here's a character that seems important but nope' and went back to inspect his cave. How is it 2012 and quests are this vague?

I never found that guy from the starting village out near the bandits' camp. He never loving spawned anywhere in the area the quest marker claimed he was. I searched all around the place and he was simply nowhere. Quest is still cluttering my log, though! Still claiming he's there! I waited around the clock and he never popped in anywhere. Where's a snakeskin purse? No clue! Who's Selene and where is she? Your guess is as good as mine.

Think I should just play this with a guide open. Convinced as this point that if you want to do anything but dick around, that it's the only way to enjoy yourself.

You are doing everything wrong.
Hire some new good pawns and listen to them, they may have useful information regarding whatever quest you have tagged.
Shops add better stock as you progress with the story, upgrade the poo poo out of everything you buy and equip your pawn with decent gear too.
Press start, select save.
Why the gently caress do you have 2 mages?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

CheechLizard posted:

Why the gently caress do you have 2 mages?

I have one mage and one sorcerer. The mage is there to cast buffs and heal people, the sorcerer is there to drop meteors and walls of fire on the other people.

A question: I finally got around to doing the grimoire quest and read (possibly in this thread?) that the female bandits aren't supposed to be aggressive. Yet they are and died in large numbers on the way up. Was I supposed to visit the other quest area in the southern mountains first?

Also, I'm close to getting my last vocation level as a ranger. Is it wiser to keep bowin' it up as a Magick Archer or to do assassin / fighter / warrior for physical stats first?

kontona
May 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Hahahahaha the midnight meeting with the Duchess is insane. I love how the Arisen just kind of stands there dumbstruck at the whole thing.

was literally :stare: during that whole scene.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Agean90 posted:

Holy poo poo, are there infinite spawning dire wolves at night this loving annoying

edit finally they're all dead. Christ I think I kill at least 50 of the drat things.

That's cute. Try that, plus undead, while fighting a cyclops.

Felling it just as the sun rose... drat that was cool.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Der Shovel posted:

I have one mage and one sorcerer. The mage is there to cast buffs and heal people, the sorcerer is there to drop meteors and walls of fire on the other people.

A question: I finally got around to doing the grimoire quest and read (possibly in this thread?) that the female bandits aren't supposed to be aggressive. Yet they are and died in large numbers on the way up. Was I supposed to visit the other quest area in the southern mountains first?

Also, I'm close to getting my last vocation level as a ranger. Is it wiser to keep bowin' it up as a Magick Archer or to do assassin / fighter / warrior for physical stats first?

All bandits are aggressive, except for the ones in their strongholds. As far as I can tell that never changes.

Also the Magick Archer's bow uses the Magic stat instead of physical, so unless you've been a Mage/Sorceror for a while it's going to be incredibly gimped. It would be better to go into Assasssin if you want to keep doing ranged, and it has the best attack growth.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think I broke a quest. For the quest Trail of Corruption you're supposed to give Arsmith a tribute ledger but I'm pretty sure I turned that in as evidence for the quest where Fournival stands trial.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I think I broke a quest. For the quest Trail of Corruption you're supposed to give Arsmith a tribute ledger but I'm pretty sure I turned that in as evidence for the quest where Fournival stands trial.

Can you not buy another from the Black Cat?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

kontona posted:

was literally :stare: during that whole scene.

I'm kind of disappointed it only accounts for attacking the Duke, instead of what you do. I shot a blinder arrow so I could sneak out!

When the hell am I finding a better shortbow than the one I bought from the blacksmith doing the wyrm hunt quests? It's kind of getting a little weak.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I've been reading the thread for a while and think I'm going to pick this up. I'm a sucker for open world games, to the point where I sank 40 hours into Skyrim before fighting the first dragon.

Is this one of those games that gets repetitive for you guys after a while or does it just keep going strong?

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Giggily posted:

Can you not buy another from the Black Cat?

Already checked there and Fournivals house to see if it was there. No dice though.

camgirl fangirl
Jan 17, 2008
EAT MORE

ChibiSoma posted:

Really?

Six hours ago.

Thanks, Capcom!

Chill out, my pal, my buddey, press a save button every now and then

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

Is this one of those games that gets repetitive for you guys after a while or does it just keep going strong?
I'm tired of a certain canyon that's on the route from the starting town to the main city, but overall I'm not even remotely tired of the game yet. Beat it once, played about halfway through on NG+, re-started completely and am now approaching the halfway point again. So, for me at least, while I'm not as actively in love with it like I was with Dark Souls; it comes really close to having its hooks in me in much the same way.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

He's kinda right on a few points though. It's pretty cool how retro and hardcore-throwback the game is but it does have lots of details that are, frankly, mistakes. The Saving system is archaic and a pain to deal with at times, quests can be overly vague, and coming from someone who's favorite game of all time is loving Morrowind...Add in to that the enemies being tough as nails for the first 10 levels, unclear descriptions of every questish item and pointless plot-lines, Dragons ain't perfect.

It has its moments though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

a kitten posted:

I'm tired of a certain canyon that's on the route from the starting town to the main city, but overall I'm not even remotely tired of the game yet.omes really close to having its hooks in me in much the same way.

Even the developers knew it was lovely because my pawns always ask "Is there truly no easier way to cross this mountain?" They knew and did it anyway.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

a kitten posted:

I'm tired of a certain canyon that's on the route from the starting town to the main city, but overall I'm not even remotely tired of the game yet. Beat it once, played about halfway through on NG+, re-started completely and am now approaching the halfway point again. So, for me at least, while I'm not as actively in love with it like I was with Dark Souls; it comes really close to having its hooks in me in much the same way.

If one of my friend ever complain about quick travel in a game, I am going to make them sit down and play this one.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

So my brother decided to pick this game up, based on watching me play it when he was over for Labor day, and he told me a grand tale of swords and heroics from my pawn:

(Early game spoilers)
He had hired my level 62 fighter pawn, and was proceeding to do the Everfall quest where you see what's goin on at the bottom of it. When he came to the ogre, my pawn said "I know what to do!" or something along those lines, and jumped on his back. The ogre proceeded to run off the edge of the cliff and kill himself, but my pawn jumped off onto a ledge before that happened.

This game :allears:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

RBA Starblade posted:

Even the developers knew it was lovely because my pawns always ask "Is there truly no easier way to cross this mountain?" They knew and did it anyway.

There's a fast way and a long way. If your pawns are saying that you're taking the long way.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Saint Freak posted:

There's a fast way and a long way. If your pawns are saying that you're taking the long way.

What's the fast way? I assume its the side paths that lead to a river/cyclops but from what I can tell that's either one way or instant death.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

RBA Starblade posted:

Hahahahaha the midnight meeting with the Duchess is insane. I love how the Arisen just kind of stands there dumbstruck at the whole thing.
This is pretty much par for the course for the Arisen too. I was running the last segments of the game last night on my first file and every single cutscene is basically Arisen :stare:

Admittedly I was pretty :stare: too. The final segment before post-game was really well done. Why can't other studios make entertaining final boss fights? Well I guess it did have some downsides: SAVING GAME ~ LOADING

Also I went about 50 hours of this game never knowing there was a healing spree just NW of Gran Soryn. I thought it was pretty much the one way up north, and the one way south-west. To have had hundreds of Spring Water flasks at my disposal whenever would have been hilariously good early on.

The Mimic
Apr 27, 2009

CheechLizard posted:

Press start, select save.

Quoted for emphasis. Seriously this game is incredibly forgiving if you at least try to avail yourself of its features. A save will take you to exactly where you saved if you die. A large number of problems can be solved by running, especially early on, and the rest can be dealt with by coming back later with a proper setup of pawns and/or equipment in most cases. I think over half of this is hammered into your head by the game but every so many days somebody comes in without any knowledge of it. It's very odd.

The only thing in the entire game that made me irritable was The Ur-Dragon. gently caress those wings. gently caress not killing those spots before I got its health low. gently caress the Ur-Dragon in general.

Speaking of that canyon, has anyone else tried to ride harpies up to the top? There's a surprising number of places to walk around up there, and I can't help but wonder if you could get by much faster by riding up somewhere and running. Only thing is, I'm not sure how to get back down afterward. Game needs a parachute.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Oh my god, I can't find any good pubbie pawns and all of the Goon pawns are so much higher level than me. Why would you make your mage a Guardian, ever?

:negative:

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

I've been reading the thread for a while and think I'm going to pick this up. I'm a sucker for open world games, to the point where I sank 40 hours into Skyrim before fighting the first dragon.

I cannot stop playing this drat game. I got Lollipop Chainsaw when it came out earlier this week, and even though I was enjoying that game and it only takes a few hours to beat, I still haven't finished it cause I keep playing Dragon's Dogma instead. I can't say that the game doesn't get repetitive sometimes I don't ever want to run back and forth between Gran Soren and Cassardis again (yay portcrystals!)... And the game has plenty of flaws, which get brought up every now and then in this thread... But there's just something charming about this game for me. And it keeps me coming back. Over. And over. It's pretty much my GOTY. I haven't sunk this many hours into a game in a long time, and I show no signs of slowing down.

Actually, if you excuse me, I think I'm gonna go take all my hard earned money and play dress-up with my pawn. Then go stab the Ur-dragon in the face. With style. :gay:

Prions!
Jun 30, 2010
Have I screwed up Griffin's Bane? When it turned up on the hill outside Gran Soren I killed it dead straight away. Wasn't it meant to fly to the colosseum in the distance? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008

Giggily posted:

Oh my god, I can't find any good pubbie pawns and all of the Goon pawns are so much higher level than me. Why would you make your mage a Guardian, ever?

:negative:

*sigh* The rift is a frustrating place sometimes... My pawn and I both roll with physical classes, so I'm usually in there looking for Mages/Sorcerers. And it's always the same process: First I have to dismiss about fifty half-naked, 13 year old girls before I can find a normal looking pawn. Then I have to sift through those to find ones with the abilities I actually want. Then the time comes when I find the perfect pawn, with an awesome spell combination, only to scroll over and see they're a Guardian. Then I have to start all over again. :(

I really need to add more goons.

• Locked thread