Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer

Revdomezehis posted:

So just to make sure I'm not going crazy, this episode just starts with them (The Masters) fighting in there right? I could've sworn last episode barely showed Kiritsugu and then all of a sudden this episode he's in some sort of fully enclosed room beneath the grail fighting Kotomine. :psyduck:
Last episode had him en route to fight Kotomine and in a building, so not much of a leap.

The boring reason they fought in the batcave is it costs nothing to animate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
Kotomine: "How can you deny the worth of something you worked so hard to attain?"

Since he stops just short of mastery in everything, I guess he must have lost interest in logic just before he got to the sunk costs fallacy.

I guess this episode also features something vaguely like the game theory sunk cost dilemma, where making a decision that is optimal for each individual step may lead to overall disaster. Huh. How about that.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
If there is one thing you can say about Kiritsugu, it is that he is consistent.

I guess I should start on Fate/Stay Night after this show is over. I started watching this on a whim, and now I feel like I spoiled a great deal of the original visual novel.

Oh, and question, is there another visual novel/light novel I should pick up besides Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I think most would recommend Saya no Uta as it's also written by Urobuchi, I describe it as X-Files meets Lovecraft. Same voice actor as F/Z Lancer too!

And Tsukihime, as it's also more or less the same universe, the Kiritsugu backstory episode more or less crossed over with it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

GrizzlyCow posted:

If there is one thing you can say about Kiritsugu, it is that he is consistent.

I guess I should start on Fate/Stay Night after this show is over. I started watching this on a whim, and now I feel like I spoiled a great deal of the original visual novel.

Oh, and question, is there another visual novel/light novel I should pick up besides Fate/Stay Night and Fate/Zero?

Eh, there's still around 1 plot twist not spoiled by Fate Zero! :v:

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Silver2195 posted:

Doesn't she survive in Cherry Blossom's Dream?
We never see her die, so she would have survived assuming she hadn't gone into the cavern when it collapsed.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

GrizzlyCow posted:

If you like the general feel of F/SN as a visual novel, you might want to look into the Tsukihime side of the Nasuverse.

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

We can't get hung up on real world morality.
Loved this episode.

Although I was definitely underwhelmed with the way Saber killed Berserker. It made him look really weak.

Also, maybe it's just me but I like it when they cut the OP out of certain episodes. I feel it makes them seem more important. I know it was cut kind of poorly in this one, but as a general rule I like it.

Emy posted:

Kotomine: "How can you deny the worth of something you worked so hard to attain?"

Since he stops just short of mastery in everything, I guess he must have lost interest in logic just before he got to the sunk costs fallacy.

He probably doesn't see it that way. Remember that he strives towards self-improvement. To him, it's a waste of time to stick with one thing for too long and only improve slightly as a person, when he could move onto something else and become much stronger overall.

InsaneZero
Feb 16, 2011

Sylvyfish posted:

Also, maybe it's just me but I like it when they cut the OP out of certain episodes. I feel it makes them seem more important. I know it was cut kind of poorly in this one, but as a general rule I like it.

The OP was only cut due to time constraints, really. The full version should retain the OP.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

DerLeo posted:

Instead, Ufotable makes Carnival Phantasm Second Barrage.

If we never get a Heaven's Feel Anime. I feel this is the next best thing. You would hear no complaints.

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

InsaneZero posted:

The OP was only cut due to time constraints, really. The full version should retain the OP.

Oh, I know why they do it, I'm just saying I happen to like it. Happens with a lot of shows towards the end of the run and I never miss seeing the OP.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So the one remaining question I have now is how in the hell Kotomine came out of getting point-blanked by an origin shot without being a cripple. I'm guessing they cover it at some point. I'm just hoping it is a more "grounded" explanation than "whatever anime logic". This show has done that pretty well so far.

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

AlternateNu posted:

Kotomine came out of getting point-blanked by an origin shot without being a cripple.

The shot towards the end of the episode? I kind of just assumed it was a regular bullet. No need to waste an origin bullet when he had him at that range.

edit: Also, if memory serves, they have no affect on magical circuits if they are not directly interrupting a spell. Since he's just sitting there with his hands up it shouldn't matter even if he did burn an origin bullet.

Sylvyfish fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jun 17, 2012

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Sylvyfish posted:

The shot towards the end of the episode? I kind of just assumed it was a regular bullet. No need to waste an origin bullet when he had him at that range.
The Origin bullet only has an effect when the target is actually using his magic circuits. Against a target that isn't using magic at the time it has no more effect than a regular bullet. And Kiritsugu used regular bullets after he saw his first bullet had no effect.

Khobra
Jul 26, 2006

Bwahaha!
As someone who has not read the novel I thought this episode was pretty awesome.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

AlternateNu posted:

So the one remaining question I have now is how in the hell Kotomine came out of getting point-blanked by an origin shot without being a cripple. I'm guessing they cover it at some point. I'm just hoping it is a more "grounded" explanation than "whatever anime logic". This show has done that pretty well so far.

They sort of explain this in the show but only briefly - Kotomine was using the Command Seals as a prana/mana/whatever source instead of his own magic circuits, so when the origin bullet hit it just burned up the Command Seal that was currently in use instead of loving him up.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More screenplay covers are up!

(Pretty sure that's a reference to Raoh from Fist of the North Star there)

His face kills me.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

DerLeo posted:

Instead, Ufotable makes Carnival Phantasm Second Barrage.

I want this more than an HF anime, because HF only got good when Archer got dead. A well-done version of UBW, however, would own.

And the third Indiana Jones movie had them going out for the Holy Grail, right? The cover works.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
We called the dog Kiritugu.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

MadRhetoric posted:

And the third Indiana Jones movie had them going out for the Holy Grail, right? The cover works.

It would only work if Shirou was Indy and Kerry was Sean Connery.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pierson posted:

We called the dog Kiritugu.

Let my weapons be the rocks and the trees...and the birds in the sky.

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
So the only think that confused me this week was this: Kiritsugu uses his Accel magic while fighting Kirei, which I get. How, then, did Kirei manage to keep up/dodge/block Kiritsugu during most of their fight? Was it much like how he was burning command seals to power his Black Keys -- was he burning command seals to give himself a speed/power boost?

Other than that, I really enjoyed the darkness of this week's episode. The animation was all over the place though, which I imagine the bluray will fix but man.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
That entire episode was pretty great. Pretty much an episode of :drat:. I hate Aniplex's pricing on their shows but may have to man up and buy the Fate/Zero blurays.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Tensokuu posted:

So the only think that confused me this week was this: Kiritsugu uses his Accel magic while fighting Kirei, which I get. How, then, did Kirei manage to keep up/dodge/block Kiritsugu during most of their fight? Was it much like how he was burning command seals to power his Black Keys -- was he burning command seals to give himself a speed/power boost?

Other than that, I really enjoyed the darkness of this week's episode. The animation was all over the place though, which I imagine the bluray will fix but man.

Kotomine is just that fast through martial arts.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Tensokuu posted:

Kotomine is just that fast/skilled. Kiritsugu's an assassin who favours guns/traps. Kotomine's a dude who beats up vampires.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Tensokuu posted:

He does do that once to add power on a punch, but otherwise, it's like everyone else has said.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Shyrka posted:

Kotomine is just that fast/skilled. Kiritsugu's an assassin who favours guns/traps. Kotomine's a dude who beats up vampires.

Yeah, Kotomine is just that hardcore. The Command Seals didn't hurt, either.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Shyrka posted:

Let's not forget that Kotomine in HF, who is over the hill by that point, is able to keep up with True Assassin, who's a Servant with an rank A in Agility. Considering that it makes sense that on his prime he was able to move at three times normal human speed.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Like I said, Kotomine is just terrifying during his prime. If he had been as strong as he was when he fought Kiritsugu in Fate, Shirou would never have been able to touch him.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

-Troika- posted:

Like I said, Kotomine is just terrifying during his prime. If he had been as strong as he was when he fought Kiritsugu in Fate, Shirou would never have been able to touch him.
In Fate Kotomine utterly underestimates Shirou. He doesn't even know that Shirou is capable of projection magic (Gil never even bothered telling him about that, which shows that Gil doesn't care that much about Kotomine) and is completely blindsided when Shirou traces Avalon and then stabs him with Azoth. If Kotomine had been ready for a serious fight he would have still mopped the floor with Shirou despite being past his prime. (And in HF Shirou only survives his fight with Kotomine due to him dropping dead from previous injuries.)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I liked Berserker a lot more when I didn't know who he was. I think that's probably mainly because they didn't really explain him very well. From what people are saying, the novels do that? As it is, it's a bit, "hey, this guy is important, well, he's dead now". RIP Motorbike. I mean, I know a bit about the Arthur/Lancelot thing but it really didn't go anywhere in this episode.

Rest of it was quite good though. The Holy Grail is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Or I guess that's Angra Mainyu, or are they the same thing? It's been a while since I saw what happens in Stay/Night.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

McDragon posted:

I liked Berserker a lot more when I didn't know who he was. I think that's probably mainly because they didn't really explain him very well. From what people are saying, the novels do that? As it is, it's a bit, "hey, this guy is important, well, he's dead now". RIP Motorbike. I mean, I know a bit about the Arthur/Lancelot thing but it really didn't go anywhere in this episode.

Rest of it was quite good though. The Holy Grail is kind of an rear end in a top hat. Or I guess that's Angra Mainyu, or are they the same thing? It's been a while since I saw what happens in Stay/Night.

The Holy Grail is just a great big container to be filled with the souls of copied Heroic Spirits so it can overflow with mana and fulfill a wish. The problem was that when a spirit called Angra Mainyu was killed and put inside it, the curses carved onto his body became the wish it was programed to grant. So now any other wish it grants will be done via the method of cursing the world with destruction.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ah, that sounds familiar, thanks.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Indeed it will grant all wishes the same way. :colbert:.

I'd like to read the novel again but I don't think that would really do my vision any good. Is there any e-reader compatible version?

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
Hey there gents, I'm sorry if this question was asked a hundred times in this thread.

I keep hearing stuff about Fate/etc. and I would like to start watching this serie, but goddamn I am confused on where I should start to begin with this serie.

Should I buy novels? Watch the animes/movie/ova instead? Anything I need to avoid? And most importantly where do I even start?

Edit: Thanks for the replies! I got a clearer view on this, hoping I'll enjoy the show as well.

Bonby fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 18, 2012

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BobbyBaudoin posted:

Hey there gents, I'm sorry if this question was asked a hundred times in this thread.

I keep hearing stuff about Fate/etc. and I would like to start watching this serie, but goddamn I am confused on where I should start to begin with this serie.

Should I buy novels? Watch the animes/movie/ova instead? Anything I need to avoid? And most importantly where do I even start?

Start with the Fate/Stay Night visual novel, the Fate/Zero anime, or the Fate/Zero light novels. Avoid the Fate/Stay Night anime and the Unlimited Blade Works movie.

The F/SN VN can be found in LP form here: http://fsn.seorinwastaken.com/archive/

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
^^^ Beaten...by a mere newbie-avatar poster!? Im...impossible!

There is an english translation of the Fate/Stay Night visual novel (read; text-based videogame with some animated screens and music) and this is what you should start with. The anime series is generally considered bad due to a number of reasons, and the sequel-movie is considered bad because it tried to shove a novel-length story into 90 minutes.

You'll see people refer to three different stories when talking about Fate Stay/Night: Fate, Unlimited Bladeworks and Heaven's Feel. You don't need to worry about this, there's a definite order to them when you play the VN and you can't accidentally skip one or anything like that.

Zero is a direct prequel to Stay Night. There's no reason you can't watch Zero and then play Stay Night because the characters and situations are different, but you'll be spoiled on some background knowledge that Stay Night treats as HUGE REVEALS and Zero assumes you already know.

In short; if you have the time you should absolutely play the game (or read the LP), then watch Zero after.

Sylvyfish
Feb 16, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Avoid the Fate/Stay Night anime and the Unlimited Blade Works movie.

I want to emphasize how important this is. I have made the mistake of recommending the anime to friends, because I knew they wouldn't play the VN. Now they refuse to watch Fate/Zero. It's a shame.

Thinking back on the FSN anime and UBW movie, I really don't want a Heaven's Feel adaptation now.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

-Troika- posted:

In Fate, Kotomine was suffering from a severe case of :effort:. Even if he was at full strength, he probably would have lost anyways. Especially since he didn't know about projection.

That all just makes the final battle of HF even more awesome though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Now that F/Z is done, ufotable should just kick it into high gear and get going on a full length Heaven's Feel series.

• Locked thread