Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Nah, my resume is good. I'm limited by what I can do with the free version of wordpress, which is why that one looks terrible.

I deleted the google docs one, I wasn't sending anyone there anyway but best to avoid any confusion. Here's a copy of what I have now.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Byxz1J_Ky5aJT2Qzd3JtMXZVRG8

edit: Thanks for the ready at dawn tip. It looks like they are looking for someone with a couple years more experience but I'll apply anyway. Tomorrow, right now I'm painting Orks in confederate army colors. (Is that racist?)

To claify the experience thing, I have the right number of years, but it's 3 years systems and only 1 year LD. Makes it a harder to get either job by having done both.

If you want some feedback on how to get some more space, here's a couple quick things: Your Action Quake 2 section doubles itself with both bullet points. The first one says you worked in a variety of positions, the second lists a variety of positions. Also, anything before 2005 you can probably really reduce the footprint of. Definitely mention it, it's valuable info that you were involved in these projects, but the specifics might not matter as much on something 7+ years ago. You might be able to cut your education down to a really simple 1 line mentioning you have a BA, what you have mentioned does not directly relate to game design.

Overall it looks good to me, something worth a second glance with a few points of info on it, but I'm a programmer not a designer, so who knows. Key things that jump out on me on initial browse: Obsidian and resume items with dates into the '90s, both pretty solid clues to you being someone worth doing a follow up on.

Design is a really rough position in the industry right now to be looking around for, with all the changes in monetization and other things, it kind of levels the playing field for a lot of people and makes things rougher for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

The top looks really busy to me. It's not super-distracting, because I'm always way more interested in the experience part, but it looks off. That said, you really, really need to fill in the years since you last worked in the industry. You were in school, that's great, but do you have any projects or other work that you did during that time frame? Otherwise you come off as rusty, and if someone else had similar experience but more recent, I'd put him or her through to an interview before I put you (assuming I had only one slot).

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code
Since we seem to be back in resume critique territory I would love some criticism on mine I posted several pages ago.

xgalaxy posted:

Hey,
I've recently been in the process of reworking my resume and I would really appreciate any feedback I could get.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla
Haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Anyone planning on going to PAX this year?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Seriously, regardless of the resume itself, I wouldn't hire you based on your reaction to the criticism. Saying "Oh I don't need to, I already did the changes" implies a lack of capability to identify common sense design flaws in your resume. The fact that you just crammed everything all in, instead of taking things one step further and using the responses from here as critical analysis in improving your resume is worrying; then followed with the response "but I did what you said!" implies lack of critical thinking. Saying we don't have a clue how to do one is stupid, makes you look petty. Then trying to cover it up by saying "Oh I'm not bashing, the forums just aren't the same" implies a problem accepting responsibility.

I thought about going through and actually giving point by point critiques but considering that I'm now informed that I apparently don't have any loving clue how to do that, not worth my time.

xgalaxy: This might be controversial, I'd consider putting education above experience. This should be possible if the garagegames section can be trimmed down a bit. For instance, you have several different areas that say "Developed UI." I'm not entirely sure why those aren't combined. There's "developed UI, and passed certification; developed UI and wrote scripts and game mechanics" etc. These could be combined and the elements placed in a more logical order (why is "I wrote gameplay mechanics in with UI?)

I think you could trim down some space here enough to no longer need the separation between groups. This would allow you to have education at the top, showing you have a computer science degree from a 4-year state university. This could even be put underneath your name, not in a true section with horizontal line, but in smaller text "BS '04, Computer Science, Montana State Univ." Even if you don't do either of these things you've trimmed up a bloated looking section. I'd also try and trim down what can be duplicated between Programmer and Senior Programmer at garagegames.

Reading it from the top, it bludgeons me over the head that you are a UI guy. I immediately see that you've worked in iOS. I then see that you've worked with facebook (and wonder why you only did it for a year). Under Senior Programmer for Garage Games, the first several entries are leadership, management, and production factors -- it's not until halfway through that entry that I get "OK, he works in C#/XNA. Things like "go to guy for scripting gameplay mechanics" don't really tell me a whole lot. Showing that you have talents beyond UI (such as game design/mechanics scripting/etc.) should come AFTER your main thing, not hide it.

Addendum:
Oh poo poo, it's GeauxSteve! Where ya been?

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

GeauxSteve posted:

Haven't checked in on this thread in a while. Anyone planning on going to PAX this year?

Thinkin bout it. Never gone before, despite living in Washington state. Depends on if other iOS developers I know are going or not, really.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!

GeauxSteve posted:

I think I am, if my friggin' panel gets accepted. It's been submitted for months, I've no idea what the holdup is. Anyone else ever deal with holding a PAX panel? Do they usually 11th hour things this badly?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

GeauxSteve posted:

Apparently I'm doing a talk at PAX Dev, so I imagine I'll be there.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Diplomaticus posted:

Seriously, regardless of the resume itself, I wouldn't hire you based on your reaction to the criticism. Saying "Oh I don't need to, I already did the changes" implies a lack of capability to identify common sense design flaws in your resume. The fact that you just crammed everything all in, instead of taking things one step further and using the responses from here as critical analysis in improving your resume is worrying; then followed with the response "but I did what you said!" implies lack of critical thinking. Saying we don't have a clue how to do one is stupid, makes you look petty. Then trying to cover it up by saying "Oh I'm not bashing, the forums just aren't the same" implies a problem accepting responsibility.

I think you are reading too much into it. I badly misjudged the tone of the thread and overreacted to someone who told me to "take seriously" criticism they didn't seem to understand had been directed at my previous resume- not the one I said was "alright".

I think you can see how it might be frustrating to post a terrible resume, get a lot of people (rightfully) calling it god-awful, then revise it only to have a wise-rear end say "why didn't you revise it? This still sucks."

Regardless, you know as well as I do that a few forum posts on SA are a pretty poor way to judge someone's character. That's just rude.

Finally, while some people have offered some good advice I'll be using to improve my resume, I don't think anyone here really knows how to make a great resume. It's a vague sort of science and hugely subjective. No one should be expected to take vague aesthetic judgments really seriously.

edit: Not to say that no one here knows how to make a good resume. I got a lot of good advice and even a mock-up (that I copied) last time around and some good suggestions this time as well. I don't think "great" resumes exist, is all.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 16, 2012

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

I think you are reading too much into it. I badly misjudged the tone of the thread and overreacted to someone who told me to "take seriously" criticism they didn't seem to understand had been directed at my previous resume- not the one I said was "alright".

I think you can see how it might be frustrating to post a terrible resume, get a lot of people (rightfully) calling it god-awful, then revise it only to have a wise-rear end say "why didn't you revise it? This still sucks."

Regardless, you know as well as I do that a few forum posts on SA are a pretty poor way to judge someone's character. That's just rude.

Finally, while some people have offered some good advice I'll be using to improve my resume, I don't think anyone here really knows how to make a great resume. It's a vague sort of science and hugely subjective. No one should be expected to take vague aesthetic judgments really seriously.

edit: Not to say that no one here knows how to make a good resume. I got a lot of good advice and even a mock-up (that I copied) last time around and some good suggestions this time as well. I don't think "great" resumes exist, is all.

Dude, just stop. You're contradicting yourself all over the place. Do you think those of us working at mid-level and higher positions really don't know how to make a great resume? I'm sure there are a few of us, but you're just not making any sense. The only thing I can gather from your entire tirade is that you can't take criticism, which is a huge red flag in this industry. Who cares if you were frustrated or your feelings were hurt? Get it done, do it better, make it fun.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper

Yeah, I was one of the ones who originally critiqued your resume 20 pages ago, too. I read a lot of resumes, and if you read my post a few up, you can see that I gave you really specific advice about what to change. If you don't see some hosed up design issues in the top of your page, especially in the alignment of the right portion of the page, then you might want to reconsider design work.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Diplomaticus posted:

xgalaxy: This might be controversial, I'd consider putting education above experience. This should be possible if the garagegames section can be trimmed down a bit. For instance, you have several different areas that say "Developed UI." I'm not entirely sure why those aren't combined. There's "developed UI, and passed certification; developed UI and wrote scripts and game mechanics" etc. These could be combined and the elements placed in a more logical order (why is "I wrote gameplay mechanics in with UI?)

I think you could trim down some space here enough to no longer need the separation between groups. This would allow you to have education at the top, showing you have a computer science degree from a 4-year state university. This could even be put underneath your name, not in a true section with horizontal line, but in smaller text "BS '04, Computer Science, Montana State Univ." Even if you don't do either of these things you've trimmed up a bloated looking section. I'd also try and trim down what can be duplicated between Programmer and Senior Programmer at garagegames.

Reading it from the top, it bludgeons me over the head that you are a UI guy. I immediately see that you've worked in iOS. I then see that you've worked with facebook (and wonder why you only did it for a year). Under Senior Programmer for Garage Games, the first several entries are leadership, management, and production factors -- it's not until halfway through that entry that I get "OK, he works in C#/XNA. Things like "go to guy for scripting gameplay mechanics" don't really tell me a whole lot. Showing that you have talents beyond UI (such as game design/mechanics scripting/etc.) should come AFTER your main thing, not hide it.

Thanks for the feedback.
Actually with the education I didn't graduate, which is why I list it last with just the "attended" annotation on the left. I hope that is clear, as I wasn't sure what is standard practice for that. You have me worried now...

The order in which I listed everything under each title is roughly the order in which I did those things which is probably why it seems chaotic and kinda repeats in some places. But I see now that isn't very clear and I should put first what achievements / experiences I want to highlight first and any secondary things after that instead of non-specified chronological order within each section.

I guess doing so would help clean up some of the duplicates. Should I combine the two GarageGames sections? If I did what would be a good way of showing my progression from programmer to senior programmer - which is one thing I think keeping them in two distinct sections helps shows.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Ninchilla posted:

My current stuff is at https://www.ninchilla.co.uk - are there any arty goons who can give me some kind of advice, or feedback on what I have already?

Thanks in advance!

Took a look at your portfolio, you definitely need more pieces. Put together a whole scene, preferably in a game engine (UDK, Unreal, doesn't matter). The ideal situation is if it's used in a mod or an indie game, but that's not always feasible. You'll also need to show wireframes and some texture sheets (diffuse normal and spec at the very least). Make sure the lighting is at least on the level of "not bad" (it should only ever help, if it looks bad, it'll bring down your whole piece). You'll need to know how to make a normal map, either through high-to-low poly baking, or with crazybump. There are lots of tutorials for these out there. Tailor whatever you show to the company you're applying for (at least make sure the work is consistent with the genre of games they make to some degree). Your portfolio should show that making art is something you love to do, and that you're good at it. Thankfully there are a lot of avenues available for that nowadays. If you can show a dozen or so props in UDK, or Unreal, or in TF2 / Dota 2, and two or three scenes, you'll be in great shape.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Some definite blowhardin' going on in this thread. Being in a mid-level or higher position and seeing a bunch of resumes doesn't mean you're suddenly the authority on resumes, it means you've probably decided what you like to see in them and not a huge amount else.

He's right, people contradict each other in these threads all the time when it comes to this and everything else. Just chill out and stop getting offended by someone that you probably see as some young upstart.

LowPolyCount
May 16, 2004

Transform... for Justice!

GeauxSteve posted:

I was fortunate enough to get a pass during the few hours they were available so I'll be there.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Akuma posted:

Some definite blowhardin' going on in this thread. Being in a mid-level or higher position and seeing a bunch of resumes doesn't mean you're suddenly the authority on resumes, it means you've probably decided what you like to see in them and not a huge amount else.

He's right, people contradict each other in these threads all the time when it comes to this and everything else. Just chill out and stop getting offended by someone that you probably see as some young upstart.

Hey, are you by chance the same Akuma that was/is a member of Tribalwar?

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

xgalaxy posted:

Hey, are you by chance the same Akuma that was/is a member of Tribalwar?
Nope! Not me, sorry. It's a pretty common name!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Probably the first year I don't go to PAX for the last 6. Last time I wasn't even planning to go and my friend happened to have an extra pass for one day.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
New job prevents me attending Develop in Brighton next month, but I may well be around for the evenings if anyone is going.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I know Aliginge and some other DNAers browse this thread. Just giving youse a heads up that the SA ad link does not work correctly.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
I won't be at PAX, but I'm going to see if I can help work at The International, which isn't far from what I understand. I'm still kind of new to Seattle.

If there's some kind of goon gamedev meetup, I'll join in.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Hey iOS developers, if you use Gamecenter, remember that I can name myself HamburgerHamburgerHamburger (the emoji font).

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Achtung! Panzer posted:

I know Aliginge and some other DNAers browse this thread. Just giving youse a heads up that the SA ad link does not work correctly.
Oh, I didn't even know it/they were live. Thanks!

Edit: Just checked them both, they seem to work... Aside from HubSpot randomly eating the HTML/head/body tags.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jun 17, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

xgalaxy posted:

Thanks for the feedback.
Actually with the education I didn't graduate, which is why I list it last with just the "attended" annotation on the left. I hope that is clear, as I wasn't sure what is standard practice for that. You have me worried now...

I didn't get that at all -- typically putting a degree type (such as BS, BA, etc.) implies that you achieved the degree.

quote:

The order in which I listed everything under each title is roughly the order in which I did those things which is probably why it seems chaotic and kinda repeats in some places. But I see now that isn't very clear and I should put first what achievements / experiences I want to highlight first and any secondary things after that instead of non-specified chronological order within each section.

Yeah, from the reviewer's standpoint, within a subheading chronological order doesn't really matter to them.

quote:

I guess doing so would help clean up some of the duplicates. Should I combine the two GarageGames sections? If I did what would be a good way of showing my progression from programmer to senior programmer - which is one thing I think keeping them in two distinct sections helps shows.

It's good keeping them separate if you did distinctly different things, so long as that is reflected in the content of each subsection.

Akuma posted:

Nobody's claiming to be an authority on resumes -- rather some of us have had a fair amount of experience reviewing them (heck, some people have had a fair amount of experience simply writing them) and can point out areas of improvement. We just don't appreciate being insulted for doing so.

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

Diplomaticus posted:

I didn't get that at all -- typically putting a degree type (such as BS, BA, etc.) implies that you achieved the degree.

I didn't put the degree type. Just the area of study.
Thanks again for looking at it. I have some fiddling to do on it now :)

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Someone posted this on facebook, it's pretty cool:
Dota 2 Art guide

Edit: I think it's interesting how so many of the things they talk about are basic stuff and just good advice in general that apply to almost any kind of art.

Chernabog fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 17, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender

xgalaxy posted:

I didn't put the degree type. Just the area of study.
Thanks again for looking at it. I have some fiddling to do on it now :)

Heh my bad, apparently I'm dumb and hallucinated that in there somehow.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
So a friend of mine went to the Colorado ComicCon and met the guy behind Flytrap, a fantastic XBLIG game that didn't get the recognition it rightfully deserved, leading to this implosion on gamasutra (note, his messages were all deleted, but you can read the aftermath):
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132601/pondering_indie_spirit_derek_yu_.php?page=2

more discussion on TIG:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9905.0

and some choice quotes and an archive.org link here:
http://tinysubversions.com/2009/12/how-to-squander-your-15-minutes-by-repeatedly-shooting-yourself-in-both-feet-an-instruction-manual/

Years later, the guy is still pushing the same single game, this time as an arcade unit! He's gonna bring back the 80s, guys!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Dude, THAT'S what that was?

I walked right by there on the way to one of our panel discussions - it was in the room right behind that. Didn't have time to do more than glance over.

EDIT: Anywho, the panels went really well. It was standing-room-only - snapped this right as we were wrapping up:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 18, 2012

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Oh hey, apparently we were referenced in that gamasutra comment thread (back when Nukezilla was Negative Gamer).

http://nukezilla.com/2009/11/16/xbox-live-indie-games-powered-by-pharmasuticals/

quote:

Flytrap
Kiwasabi – 400 Points

Shooting enemies with a water gun isn’t something I’d expect a venus flytrap to do. Nor would I expect it to then suck up the soaked, stunned enemy Kirby style. The basic premise here of stunning and sucking is fine, what kills the game however is the lack of reason to progress other than play for longer. There’s no score or other sign of progression other than faster versions of the same enemies and that just left me not wanting to play after five or six levels.

quote:

Adam Coate Says:
November 21st, 2009 at 11:39 am (Reply)
Hey Francis,

I’m Adam Coate, developer of Flytrap; I’m commenting because I noticed you gave my game a negative review.

You wrote:
“Shooting enemies with a water gun isn’t something I’d expect a venus flytrap to do. Nor would I expect it to then suck up the soaked, stunned enemy Kirby style. The basic premise here of stunning and sucking is fine, what kills the game however is the lack of reason to progress other than play for longer. There’s no score or other sign of progression other than faster versions of the same enemies and that just left me not wanting to play after five or six levels.”

There are lots of signs of progression. The backgrounds change after each level, and then after you complete each day (every 4 levels), you’re told “Day One Completed, Day Two Completed, etc”. Also, there’s the spiral which lights up a symbol each time you finish a day. There are only 7 symbols on the spiral, so you know where you stand in the overall progress of the game. So what does the game need in order to be fun enough for you?

Also, there are 9 different enemies in the game, so it isn’t just faster versions of the same enemies over and over.

“Leave to Die” is a pretty disrespectful thing to say to developers who have spent months or years on these games. I put over $10,000 of my own money into making this game as fun and good-looking as it is. I’ve also spent over a year of my life on this game. Some constructive feedback would be much more useful than just finding one reason to tell people to ignore an otherwise very cool and innovative game.

Anyway, I look forward to your reply.

-Adam

Leif. fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 18, 2012

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
I don't get how people can get that bent out of shape over someone not liking something they've done, especially if they've reasonably explained why. I mean, I can see trying to argue the point back, but not just flipping out like that. Criticism should be like the mafia, even if you're killing someone it should be dispassionate, nothing personal, just business.

Fishbus
Aug 30, 2006

"Stuck in an RPG Pro-Tour"

This is why I feel like being someone who developed their skills via a non skill-related website/community is a blessing. I can take so much criticism these days, and I feel like anyone else flipping over a phrase like "I don't like your game" is a big baby. :(

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Fishbus posted:

This is why I feel like being someone who developed their skills via a non skill-related website/community is a blessing. I can take so much criticism these days, and I feel like anyone else flipping over a phrase like "I don't like your game" is a big baby. :(

Gotta have thick skin in this industry, especially if you're trying to learn. Being able to listen and know how to respond to feedback is especially important in a professional environment, and it'll only get more important when you're dealing with customers and clients.

wasabimilkshake
Aug 21, 2007

North Carolina votes yes.

Fishbus posted:

Although it's a horribly cost-ineffective approach (I graduated last year from "the biggest rip-off in America"), I feel like art school also instilled that in me. I was lucky to have drawing professors who made students cry, taught us how to effectively critique each other, made us work our asses off to pass, and generally got across the idea that no, none of us were special rainbow gumdrop butterflies oozing with pure and perfect God-given talent.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Wrong thread, whoops

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

God I love working with RISD/SCAD/MICA grads, biggest ripoff or no!

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

wasabimilkshake posted:

Although it's a horribly cost-ineffective approach (I graduated last year from "the biggest rip-off in America"), I feel like art school also instilled that in me. I was lucky to have drawing professors who made students cry, taught us how to effectively critique each other, made us work our asses off to pass, and generally got across the idea that no, none of us were special rainbow gumdrop butterflies oozing with pure and perfect God-given talent.

gently caress I would love so hard to study classical, old as balls drawing and painting exclusively like this for say a year or two.

Being in industry is teaching me a lot but now I am down with working 9-5s, I honestly wonder how much better I'd get with a full time, non-gimmicky, non games, no-precious-snowflake, proper no holds barred traditional art course, I know I work far better in a work environment rather than at home, so I might have to do this at some point.

Incidentally Akuma, I'm planning on spending up to an hour a day after work just painting and practicing when the new Wacoms arrive, just sayin :v:

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 18, 2012

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

So a friend of mine went to the Colorado ComicCon and met the guy behind Flytrap, a fantastic XBLIG game that didn't get the recognition it rightfully deserved, leading to this implosion on gamasutra (note, his messages were all deleted, but you can read the aftermath):
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132601/pondering_indie_spirit_derek_yu_.php?page=2

more discussion on TIG:
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=9905.0

and some choice quotes and an archive.org link here:
http://tinysubversions.com/2009/12/how-to-squander-your-15-minutes-by-repeatedly-shooting-yourself-in-both-feet-an-instruction-manual/

Years later, the guy is still pushing the same single game, this time as an arcade unit! He's gonna bring back the 80s, guys!

Is everyone reasonably sure that this isn't a well-orchestrated troll? I read the articles and the archived comments section, and then I watched a video of the game in question -- it's a Space Invaders clone. I'm not going insane, right? This has to be made up?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

octoroon posted:

Is everyone reasonably sure that this isn't a well-orchestrated troll? I read the articles and the archived comments section, and then I watched a video of the game in question -- it's a Space Invaders clone. I'm not going insane, right? This has to be made up?
He was also a speaker in both panel discussions I was in. He talked about Flytrap a bunch, and made casual mentions of the arcade industry, a test install, and something about if he could show $200 in sales a day that he could sell it off to some of the arcade giants. He sounded very sincere about it all.

I just didn't realize that it was a real thing, actually sitting out in the lobby. I just figured it was theoretical, or maybe an indie dev waxing poetic about the days of arcades.

... and, no, it isn't a Space Invaders clone. It's more like one of the NES-era corridor shooters. The gameplay video I saw years ago didn't really show formation flyers or anything, just waves of single enemies that jump "in" from the distance.

EDIT: VV Oh, definitely, agreed. I mean it seems like a reasonably solidly built game, but if I were giving him advice, I'd suggest he just make a ton of small games like that. If he'd been doing that since that blowup, he'd have quite the catalog of solid iOS/etc games by now.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Shalinor posted:

He was also a speaker in both panel discussions I was in. He talked about Flytrap a bunch, and made casual mentions of the arcade industry, a test install, and something about if he could show $200 in sales a day that he could sell it off to some of the arcade giants. He sounded very sincere about it all.

I just didn't realize that it was a real thing, actually sitting out in the lobby. I just figured it was theoretical, or maybe an indie dev waxing poetic about the days of arcades.

... and, no, it isn't a Space Invaders clone. It's more like one of the NES-era corridor shooters. The gameplay video I saw years ago didn't really show formation flyers or anything, just waves of single enemies that jump "in" from the distance.

This is the video I watched: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhwCErELHoA

In the video description and throughout the video it mentions it was Space Invaders-inspired, and watching the video multiple enemies come in at once -- maybe not so much in formations -- but it looks a heck of a lot like a stylized Space Invaders to me. Maybe "clone" is the wrong word. But whatever -- my point is just that it doesn't seem to be worth the drama. It's not even very interesting?

e: On a totally unrelated note, Unity 4 claims to have finally fixed UnityGUI -- well, at least the performance, maybe not the terrible API. Hurray!

speng31b fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 18, 2012