Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess those photos could lend some credence to the idea that maybe Cumberbatch is Gary Mitchell.

Or Finnegan. He was in Starfleet as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

7thBatallion posted:

Or Finnegan. He was in Starfleet as well.

Haha, I don't think Finnegan would work in a modern movie. Not only is he a douche for no reason (or, at least Kirk's projection of him is), but he talks like a loving leprechaun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRvEM6zE-X8

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
How can you have a Khan character without genetic engineering? Have they mentioned this at all?? It's an interesting thing. Here's a superior version of the human race that is kept down and outlawed by all the dummies because the dummies know that they will take over....

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
So, Karl Urban might have let it slip in a recent interview that the villian Cumberbatch plays is Gary Mitchell. Which is a way better choice than Khan, in my opinion.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MorgaineDax posted:

So, Karl Urban might have let it slip in a recent interview that the villian Cumberbatch plays is Gary Mitchell. Which is a way better choice than Khan, in my opinion.

Does the character have another name? Something about "Oh no! It's... GARY!" doesn't fill me with much dread.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
Well, Mitchell was the villain of the second Ongoing comic. If Orci and Kurtzman were right in saying the comics would tie into the movie, they have a decent opening left for themselves.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

Does the character have another name? Something about "Oh no! It's... GARY!" doesn't fill me with much dread.

What was my grandson's name again?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Lobok posted:

Anyone who's ever played Fallout 3 has a healthy fear of people named Gary.

There's a vault full of feral clones of a guy named Gary, who murder other people on sight and can only say their name. "Heh, heh, heh...Gaaaaaarrrrrry..."

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Zombie Samurai posted:

Anyone who's ever played Fallout 3 has a healthy fear of people named Gary.

There's a vault full of feral clones of a guy named Gary, who murder other people on sight and can only say their name. "Heh, heh, heh...Gaaaaaarrrrrry..."

This is exactly what I was thinking of.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

What episode is Gary Mitchell featured in?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Detective No. 27 posted:

What episode is Gary Mitchell featured in?

The Second Pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before"

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
A lot of things changed when they went into full production (even Kirk's name), but it's funny to see that yes, Shatner's shirt does gets ripped at every opportunity.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
I wonder if this means Alice Eve is playing Elizabeth Dehner?

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

The Second Pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before"

drat fine episode. I'd be happy enough if Cumberbatch was Gaaaarryyyyyy Gary in the next film.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
James R Kirk

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!

NarkyBark posted:

James R Kirk

Obviously short for James TibERius Kirk.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

I hope the new movie has something about the exciting efforts of Starfleet Dental.

Maybe some fire extinguisher..

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
I'd prefer the bridge of death.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus
For anyone following the comic series, the end of the Return
of the Archons was pretty interesting.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Does Paramount have anything major before the end of the year coming out? If not for the GIJoe delay until next year, I could have honestly thought it would have been the best place for a JJTrek 2 teaser trailer to start pumping up interest for next Summer.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

JediTalentAgent posted:

Does Paramount have anything major before the end of the year coming out? If not for the GIJoe delay until next year, I could have honestly thought it would have been the best place for a JJTrek 2 teaser trailer to start pumping up interest for next Summer.

They have Paranormal Activity 4 in October, Flight in November, and Jack Reacher on Christmas.

They'll probably get a teaser tossed in with a Warner movie like Argo or Gangster Squad - the two studios have a nice working relationship.

Although, if Looper tracks well enough, they may stick it to that instead. There'll probably be a more fleshed-out trailer on Jack Reacher, if trends tell me anything.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
All those movies seem a little too adult-aimed, though. Given the current media reaction to the Cruise divorce, I wonder if Paramount might want to intentionally distance a big film like Trek 2 from getting the first teaser or full trailer attached to it. (Of course, a lot can change in several months)

Paramount is distributing "Rise of the Guardians" and Chris Pine does a voice in it, so I'm almost willing to bet that might end up being a likely choice for the first teaser trailer.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Guardians feels far too late for "premiering" a teaser. At that point you're almost exactly seven months out, and any possible buzz from a teaser would get pretty smashed against the rocks of the dozen gigantic movies that finish the year out. I'm sure there'll be a trailer with it, but it won't be the first time we're seeing it. It'll have played on something before then.

That said, Karl Urban's claiming that footage from the new Star Trek will be put on Youtube before Comic Con's over. Hell, they might be doing the smartest thing and tossing a trailer out to get in front of Rises.

I think I'm more astounded by the fact that Paramount literally doesn't have another movie out until October. Their last release until then is the Katy Perry concert movie.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Gary Mitchell as the baddie could be fun, but just rehashing that episode would be kind of lazy. Did they ever explain (in the episode) how they managed to get to the very edge of the galaxy? The brush with the galactic barrier is what made Mitchell a danger to begin with (which, incidentally, was later retconned as a huge galactic shield to keep this thing called the Unity - think subspace nano-Borg - out and was recharged by Kirks half-human/quarter-klingon/quarter-romulan jesus child).

Oh yeah, and the thing at the center of the galaxy in ST5 was an exiled Q, for added shits and giggles.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Gary Mitchell as the baddie could be fun, but just rehashing that episode would be kind of lazy. Did they ever explain (in the episode) how they managed to get to the very edge of the galaxy? The brush with the galactic barrier is what made Mitchell a danger to begin with (which, incidentally, was later retconned as a huge galactic shield to keep this thing called the Unity - think subspace nano-Borg - out and was recharged by Kirks half-human/quarter-klingon/quarter-romulan jesus child).

Oh yeah, and the thing at the center of the galaxy in ST5 was an exiled Q, for added shits and giggles.

Was that all in the books "written" by Shatner?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarLocke posted:

(which, incidentally, was later retconned as a huge galactic shield to keep this thing called the Unity - think subspace nano-Borg - out and was recharged by Kirks half-human/quarter-klingon/quarter-romulan jesus child).

The hell? When did Kirk get around to fathering a child with a Romulingon? Or did he have sex with a Klingon and a Romulan at the same time and Kirk's just that Kirky?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

ImpAtom posted:

The hell? When did Kirk get around to fathering a child with a Romulingon? Or did he have sex with a Klingon and a Romulan at the same time and Kirk's just that Kirky?
When wouldn't have Kirk gotten around to do all of that? :smug:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WarLocke posted:

Gary Mitchell as the baddie could be fun, but just rehashing that episode would be kind of lazy. Did they ever explain (in the episode) how they managed to get to the very edge of the galaxy?

No, the setting was very nebulously defined at that point. For example, in The Squire of Gothos, it's very clearly implied that Star Trek takes place nine hundred years in the future. Later in Space Seed they go with merely 200 years. Then at some point it got pinned down to the 23rd century.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Senor Tron posted:

Was that all in the books "written" by Shatner?

Nope, some of it's in the Q Continuum books, which are an interesting idea at least. Essentially, the Galactic Barrier was put up by the Continuum to keep out an entity called 0 who Q accidentally let into our universe and was responsible for the destruction of the T'kon Empire and the current state of the Calamarain. 0 also brought along some buddies who ended up in various TOS episodes including Gorgon, the Vampire Cloud, and also "God" from STV. The central Galactic Barrier was put up to keep his severed head prisoner.

Like I said, interesting ideas, but the execution kinda sucked.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Nope, some of it's in the Q Continuum books, which are an interesting idea at least. Essentially, the Galactic Barrier was put up by the Continuum to keep out an entity called 0 who Q accidentally let into our universe and was responsible for the destruction of the T'kon Empire and the current state of the Calamarain. 0 also brought along some buddies who ended up in various TOS episodes including Gorgon, the Vampire Cloud, and also "God" from STV. The central Galactic Barrier was put up to keep his severed head prisoner.

Like I said, interesting ideas, but the execution kinda sucked.

Yeah, the Unity was from the Shatner novels and was a sort of Borg collective type thing that lived/traveled through subspace and the galactic barrier was put in place to keep it out of ours. Gary Mitchell's brush with it started a weakening process, to the point that the Unity could start popping out of subspace in our galaxy and assimilate/replace high ranking admirals and junk.

At one point Kirk finds a planet where klingons and romulans are living together in peace, then falls in love with a bones a half/half chick. Then due to some crazy Mirror Universe and Precursos shenanigans it turns out that the collective DNA of all the humanoid races in the galaxy is a sort of master key to the galactic barrier, and Kirk's kid's particular DNA mix is somehow the perfect one and he goes all Jesus and sacrifices himself to recharge the barrier to keep the Unity out.

The Shatnerverse trek books are legitly hosed up. Although IMO some of the Borg and Mirror Universe stuff in them is pretty drat cool.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ImpAtom posted:

Cheesus posted:

When wouldn't have Kirk gotten around to do all of that? :smug:

If it's a species capable of producing females, Kirk slept with it.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

If it's a species capable of producing females, Kirk slept with it.

I'm pretty sure they had to be humanoid as well. Kirk ain't sticking his dick in no spider creature.

Of course, The Undiscovered Country pretty much came out and said that it just had to be humanoid and female-looking and Kirk would be all up in that. drat, that shapeshifting Iman.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Young Freud posted:

I'm pretty sure they had to be humanoid as well. Kirk ain't sticking his dick in no spider creature.

Kirk knows true beauty isn't only skin deep.

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I think the villain is Garth of Izar from "Whom Gods Destroy" ... or some other random superhuman from the Botany Bay who would have otherwise died in his stasis chamber in TOS timeline.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

WarLocke posted:

Yeah, the Unity was from the Shatner novels and was a sort of Borg collective type thing that lived/traveled through subspace and the galactic barrier was put in place to keep it out of ours. Gary Mitchell's brush with it started a weakening process, to the point that the Unity could start popping out of subspace in our galaxy and assimilate/replace high ranking admirals and junk.

At one point Kirk finds a planet where klingons and romulans are living together in peace, then falls in love with a bones a half/half chick. Then due to some crazy Mirror Universe and Precursos shenanigans it turns out that the collective DNA of all the humanoid races in the galaxy is a sort of master key to the galactic barrier, and Kirk's kid's particular DNA mix is somehow the perfect one and he goes all Jesus and sacrifices himself to recharge the barrier to keep the Unity out.

The Shatnerverse trek books are legitly hosed up. Although IMO some of the Borg and Mirror Universe stuff in them is pretty drat cool.
You left out the book Return, where after the events of Star Trek: Generations the movie, the Borg and some Romulans resurrect Kirk with Borg technology.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Well, they're calling it Star Trek Into Darkness.

It kind of sounds like a movie from the 1950s or 1960s which would make sense. Need a trailer before I can decide if it works!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm not very sold on that title, if that's indeed what they go with. It's very clunky.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

So they won't be trekking into darkness, they'll be star trekking into darkness. I can almost feel the producers winking and nudging me with their elbows.

Rosemont
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, not feeling that. It sounds clunky even when rendered as "Star Trek: Into Darkness".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's a little corny but it's pretty cool. Sets a precedent for using the title like that in other ways instead of only ever having a subtitle.

• Locked thread