Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
UPDATE: Whoa! Almost forgot I made this thread. Anybody coming in late, this OP was created back when (at the time legitimate-sounding) rumors emerged that Khan would be the villain of the latest Star Trek movie. That is not the case, so keep that in mind before continuing.

UPDATE 2: AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So after months of speculation, reports are coming out that Khan of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan fame will indeed be the villain of JJ Abrams' next Star Trek flick due out in 2013. The info comes from TrekMovie.com who have been extremely reliable in the past, so although Paramount hasn't made it official, it might as well be. Khan will apparently be played by Benedict Cumberbatch from BBC's Sherlock.

According to the same report, we can also expect Leonard Nimoy to return as well as the klingons getting a big role, too.

Basically I made this thread for Trek fans to sound off, as well as a general catch-all thread for news of the next Trek film.

My thoughts (not that anyone asked)?

1. I seem to be one of the few big Trek fans I know that isn't bothered by the idea of revisiting the Khan character. I feel like there's room to explore there. Khan, as presented in his prior appearances, always came off like a tiger in a cage: we always heard about how he was this "prince with power over millions" but we never got much of a chance to see him in action.

2. I do find it irksome that they got a white guy to play Khan. I'm not outright offended if only because the prior Trek film had a diverse cast and reports were that the production had certainly tried to find an ethnic actor for the part (Benicio Del Toro had the part until dropping out at the last minute), it still annoys me especially since it feels like whitewashing ethnic roles has actually gotten a little worse in the past few years.

3. Um, the guy does not look anything like Khan. Just the news of Benedict Cumberbach playing Khan wouldn't bother me so much on its own: British? Hell, he's an actor, he can affect an accent. White? Like I said, setting #2 above aside they can give him a tan. Short hair? He can grow it, or throw on a wig. Not bulky enough? Just give him Gerald Butler's 300 workout. It's Hollywood, let 'em work their magic!

Except production pics did leak and uh...

Yeah, not really seeing the resemblance there. I mean, I guess I can imagine him being all like, "Hhhhhhaaaahhhhhh, Kark, I will CRUSH thee, let go of me you drat Vulcan!" but I'm not feeling any 'Khan' vibes, and honestly it doesn't strike me that they're even trying to. Obviously we don't know the context of the pics (maybe Khan is undercover or something?) but it doesn't do much for my confidence. Khan's exoticism is a big part of his appeal, why put him into a drab trench coat?

ANYHOW. Trek geeks are a notoriously picky bunch so let's all have at it.

EDIT: Hasn't. Paramount hasn't made it official, I meant.

lizardman fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Eh, JJ Abrams directed the best Trek movie in recent memory so I'm taking the same path I did when Heath Ledger was cast in The Dark Knight and assume the director knows what he's doing.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I'd be more enthusiastic if the last two Trek films hadn't also had Khan-esque villains- one guy driven by vengeance over the death of his homeworld, another guy driven by anger about... something, I dunno, I've blocked out most of Nemesis.

I dunno, it'd be nice to see if they could do something with a sense of wonder and exploration to it. God knows Abrams can evoke those emotions- Super 8 was terrific.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

I was hoping they wouldn't go with Khan and do something that was actually original instead of just a "re-imaging" of the old story. I'm sure this will be entertaining -- the cast was just about perfect the last time around.

Also, if anyone is unfamiliar with Benedict Cumberbatch, he plays Sherlock Holmes in the BBC series Sherlock. Terrific series, and he plays the role brilliantly. I have complete faith in his ability to act against Pine -- he'll be a great contrast: a very sharp, calculating edge to Kirk's more gung-ho, brute force approach (assuming they are going to play it like that).

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dr. Video Games 0055 posted:

Eh, JJ Abrams directed the best Trek movie in recent memory so I'm taking the same path I did when Heath Ledger was cast in The Dark Knight and assume the director knows what he's doing.

Yea pretty much same here, I don't really have much to say optimistically just reading the words 'Khan will be in the movie' but the first JJ Trek was a good movie and he obviously knows the material so I'll go 'yea I assume he knows what to do with him' until proven otherwise.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Shouldn't we be comparing him to TOS Khan and not TWOK Khan (age wise)?

Still, this wussy brit has nothing on Ricardo, at any age. :smug:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

SouthLAnd posted:

Shouldn't we be comparing him to TOS Khan and not TWOK Khan (age wise)?

Still, this wussy brit has nothing on Ricardo, at any age. :smug:

Youve never heard him speak have you? Wussy is the last thing I would call him.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
They should have just gone with Gerard Butler out of 300.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Cumberbatch can act well. So I'm not worried about him doing 'Khan' well.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

MoaM posted:

Cumberbatch can act well. So I'm not worried about him doing 'Khan' well.

Yea objectively the dude is a good actor. I guess my only 'eeeeh' feeling is just being a typical Trek nerd and going 'but it was already good once why ever do it again?!'.

Like I said though, until I have reason to go 'welp this is gonna blow' I trust the people who already do good work.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Why Cumberbatch isn't playing Sybok is beyond me.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Un-l337-Pork posted:

I was hoping they wouldn't go with Khan and do something that was actually original instead of just a "re-imaging" of the old story. I'm sure this will be entertaining -- the cast was just about perfect the last time around.

This is exactly how I feel. After the last Trek movie, I got the impression the director and writers were being pressured both by fans and producers to work Khan into the follow-up, since he was the focal point of what most people consider to be the best classic Trek movie. At the same time, I got the impression they preferred to go a different route.

Ethnicity or similarity in looks don't really seem important to me, Khan was great because Ricardo Montalban played him that way. Besides that, Khan's defining trait - his grudge against Kirk because of their past together - would not apply here.

What I'm saying is, they'll probably have to reinvent the entire character and the only remaining reason to actually call him Khan will be to summon up association with the most kick-rear end Star Trek movie. I rather doubt that's necessary, seeing how good the last movie turned out.

Oh well. Maybe this'll finally make me fall in love with Cumberbatch as much as the rest of the internet has?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
No chest = no Khan

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lizardman posted:

So after months of speculation, reports are coming out that Khan of Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan fame will indeed be the villain of JJ Abrams' next Star Trek flick due out in 2013. The info comes from TrekMovie.com who have been extremely reliable in the past, so although Paramount has made it official, it might as well be. Khan will apparently be played by Benedict Cumberbatch from BBC's Sherlock.

According to the same report, we can also expect Leonard Nimoy to return as well as the klingons getting a big role, too.

Basically I made this thread for Trek fans to sound off, as well as a general catch-all thread for news of the next Trek film.

My thoughts (not that anyone asked)?

1. I seem to be one of the few big Trek fans I know that isn't bothered by the idea of revisiting the Khan character. I feel like there's room to explore there. Khan, as presented in his prior appearances, always came off like a tiger in a cage: we always heard about how he was this "prince with power over millions" but we never got much of a chance to see him in action.

2. I do find it irksome that they got a white guy to play Khan. I'm not outright offended if only because the prior Trek film had a diverse cast and reports were that the production had certainly tried to find an ethnic actor for the part (Benicio Del Toro had the part until dropping out at the last minute), it still annoys me especially since it feels like whitewashing ethnic roles has actually gotten a little worse in the past few years.

3. Um, the guy does not look anything like Khan. Just the news of Benedict Cumberbach playing Khan wouldn't bother me so much on its own: British? Hell, he's an actor, he can affect an accent. White? Like I said, setting #2 above aside they can give him a tan. Short hair? He can grow it, or throw on a wig. Not bulky enough? Just give him Gerald Butler's 300 workout. It's Hollywood, let 'em work their magic!

Except production pics did leak and uh...

Yeah, not really seeing the resemblance there. I mean, I guess I can imagine him being all like, "Hhhhhhaaaahhhhhh, Kark, I will CRUSH thee, let go of me you drat Vulcan!" but I'm not feeling any 'Khan' vibes, and honestly it doesn't strike me that they're even trying to. Obviously we don't know the context of the pics (maybe Khan is undercover or something?) but it doesn't do much for my confidence. Khan's exoticism is a big part of his appeal, why put him into a drab trench coat?

ANYHOW. Trek geeks are a notoriously picky bunch so let's all have at it.

Err. When Khan first appeared, he didn't look like that.

He looked like this.

Considering that this is supposed to be Younger Kirk, I don't see why he'd be facing old man Khan, even with the other bullshit going on.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Err. When Khan first appeared, he didn't look like that.

He looked like this.

Considering that this is supposed to be Younger Kirk, I don't see why he'd be facing old man Khan, even with the other bullshit going on.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Why Cumberbatch isn't playing Sybok is beyond me.

I'd really like to see this sequel do a classic 'monster-of-the-week' or 'Mission to Tiberius V' type of thing, but stuff like that just doesn't fly marketing wise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I'm going to be optimistic about it, but the race thing does bug me. I have no doubt that Cumberbatch will be great, but wasn't Khan supposed to a be remnant of some sort of late 20th century eugenics program. There's something genuinely progressive about having a character bred for perfection who isn't lily white, showing the lie of racial supremacists by saying, "If we really did breed a super race, they wouldn't look like your cousin who pumps gas for a living."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I liked the new Star Trek film but I'd hoped they'd avoid Khan since Wrath was so amazing and relied so strongly on the sheer Ahab-esque hatred for Kirk that Khan had developed over decades.

That said, Benedict Cumberbatch? I'm totally onboard for Captain Kirk vs Sherlock Holmes in Space.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Nero was such a Khan rip-off that actually making a Khan movie seems kind of redundant. Plus being more awesome than Montalban just ain't gonna happen.

That said, I'm still pretty optimistic about the movie as a whole. The last film was dumb as poo poo but worked anyway because the characters were actually likable and easily carried you through their big-rear end adventure. If the second film keeps that working and adds a better villain it should be a blast.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I'll also be happy so long as we get more stuff like this:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I really wish they would just write an original story rather than continually revisiting old material, but clearly they want to go the Khan route. It's a bit annoying though, because just 10 years ago with Nemesis that film was attempting to recreate Wrath of Khan and failed miserably. Granted, JJ Abrams and Co. are light-years better than Stuart Baird and John Logan. I'll be curious to see how the Klingons fit into everything.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I wonder if they'll go with the head ridges on the Klingons this time.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

TOOT BOOT posted:

I wonder if they'll go with the head ridges on the Klingons this time.
I really think they'll go in a whole new direction as they did with Nero and his crew. I'd laugh my rear end off if they went in the other direction and decided to make the Klingons "super-ridged," like War from the TMNT Adventures comics.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
Man, gently caress. The balls on JJ Abrams right now. Considering Wrath of Khan is a better Star Trek film than Trek '09, and the vast majority of film can't really touch it, big loving balls.

I'm sure it'll be watchable, but I really feel gross trying to get excited for the film.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I really wish they would just write an original story rather than continually revisiting old material, but clearly they want to go the Khan route.

Um, isn't Khan himself "old material"?

I'm onboard for this completely. Not a huge Trek fan, but Wrath of Khan and Star Trek (2009) are both amazing. Benedict Cumberbatch is the loving boss too.

Jefferoo posted:

Man, gently caress. The balls on JJ Abrams right now. Considering Wrath of Khan is a better Star Trek film than Trek '09, and the vast majority of film can't really touch it, big loving balls.

I'm sure it'll be watchable, but I really feel gross trying to get excited for the film.

Eh,they said that poo poo about rebooting the franchise as a whole and recasting these iconic roles.

His movie may not be the best Trek movie, but it's the second best, so this film's got my ticket.

LesterGroans fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 3, 2012

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Cumberbatch was fantastic in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, I'd be excited to see him in whatever role he did after that one.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
After watching Sherlock I find it hard to be upset about this, Cumberbatch is awesome, and according to TrekMovie he got the part after giving an outstanding audition.

It also helps insure this really will be a completely new take on it, not simply because he isn't Latino, but because he is so completely different from Ricardo in every possible way. They are both males with dark hair and that's about it.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I had no idea that Khan was even supposed to be latino. I just thought he was a kinda tan or something.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Miltank posted:

I had no idea that Khan was even supposed to be latino. I just thought he was a kinda tan or something.

He was played by a hispanic man, but if you go by his name he was supposed to have been south Asian/Indian.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Bob Quixote posted:

He was played by a hispanic man, but if you go by his name he was supposed to have been south Asian/Indian.

I think he was actually supposed to be a hodge-podge of different races seeing as he was genetically modified to be superior to humans.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

He was an Indian. Khan Noonien Singh, from India. Genetically altered to be superior to average Humans in strength and intelligence, resistance to disease, etc. (also made them "unstable" mentally, so a bunch of them tried to rule the world).

I wonder how this story is going to be written, like, why does Khan give a poo poo about Kirk and Spock?

Dwayne Johnson should have gotten this role. BBS was right about Cumberbach being a shoe-in for a Vulcan but "genetically altered superman", he ain't.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

CloseFriend posted:

I really think they'll go in a whole new direction as they did with Nero and his crew. I'd laugh my rear end off if they went in the other direction and decided to make the Klingons "super-ridged," like War from the TMNT Adventures comics.

I can understand why they'd want to go in a different direction with Klingons, assuming they're in the movie. Problem is, though, they've already established that Enterprise is the only series that still holds true (in this alternate timeline, anyway). So, unless the Klingons quickly figured some cure for the modified augment virus, they should still be flat-headed.

The thing with the Nero and the other Romulans, is that they really weren't all that different than the standard. Sure, they had shaved heads and tattoos, but there's a reason for that. Romulans shave their heads and and cranial tattoos as a sign of mourning. Something they sometimes choose to do after a severe personal tragedy.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Barometer posted:

He was an Indian. Khan Noonien Singh, from India. Genetically altered to be superior to average Humans in strength and intelligence, resistance to disease, etc. (also made them "unstable" mentally, so a bunch of them tried to rule the world).

I wonder how this story is going to be written, like, why does Khan give a poo poo about Kirk and Spock?

Dwayne Johnson should have gotten this role. BBS was right about Cumberbach being a shoe-in for a Vulcan but "genetically altered superman", he ain't.

It's one thing to have a guy named Khan Singh be played by a non-Indian, but by a white loving Englishman, are you kidding me?

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

Well, that and he had a pretty darn thick Mexican accent.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Ixian posted:

It also helps insure this really will be a completely new take on it, not simply because he isn't Latino, but because he is so completely different from Ricardo in every possible way. They are both males with dark hair and that's about it.

There's the problem. Given how the franchise was rebooted, he should be identical to the Khan who appeared in the original tv episode.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^ Well, fan sperging aside, it's been over 30 years since Khan's made an appearance, I'd assume any attempt to bring him back now would be a gesture meaning, "Hey, remember Khan? He's back, just like how you remember him!" Now just doesn't sound like the appropriate time to be taking liberties with the character. I mean, of course I don't want a total rehash of Space Seed and TWOK but I'd want the stories and situation to be new and different, not the character himself.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

One of the biggest hurdles for this is the set up of the rivalry between Kirk and Khan. Wrath of Khan was fan service in that it brought TOS into the movie universe. There was a backstory not only about Khan's conquest of Asia but that he wooed a member of Kirk's crew out from under him. She betrayed him, her crew and Starfleet all for love of this guy and so magnanimus Kirk loving let them go. Khan's pissed that Kirk hid the fact that they were there and never checked up on them, and his love died.

Now, are they going to somehow cover all that in the first act, or first two acts or (as I suspect) are they going to just rewrite the whole shebang and have Khan just losing his poo poo for a crack at Kirk for no reason whatsoever.

This movie should be about the crew and ship coming together through adversity/numerous things. Take a few different old school episodes and mash them into a movie showing the main characters all settling into their roles. Give everyoe a chance to shine and have the "enemy" be something they all need to combat, instead of yet another "single bad guy that must be taken down because he's gonna do dastardly things". Hell, I'd rather they were using Colonel Green to be honest, he'd serve the fans and he's also got so little backstory (hitler-esque dude) that you could go anywhere with him.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Barometer posted:

Hell, I'd rather they were using Colonel Green to be honest, he'd serve the fans and he's also got so little backstory (hitler-esque dude) that you could go anywhere with him.

Green has potential. Unfortunately, he lived in the 21st century, not the 23rd.

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

"I don't know", sonny.

Shaddak posted:

Green has potential. Unfortunately, he lived in the 21st century, not the 23rd.

Well, Khan had vanished and they found out he'd flown out into space, frozen. Green's ultimate fate is also not known, so anything goes, really. Trek is full to the brim with technological handwaving...hell, put Green into a transporter buffer, ala Scotty. Then you get neo-Scotty working on some ancient transporter tech and he frees Green and OH HELL NO, I'm not putting my great ideas out there for free. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pudding Tame
Jan 14, 2008

Shaddak posted:

I can understand why they'd want to go in a different direction with Klingons, assuming they're in the movie. Problem is, though, they've already established that Enterprise is the only series that still holds true (in this alternate timeline, anyway). So, unless the Klingons quickly figured some cure for the modified augment virus, they should still be flat-headed.

Going by that Enterprise episode not all the Klingons should be flat-headed, just a sizable chunk of the population that was exposed to the virus that the Klingon's unwittingly created when they tried to make their own Augments.

Having two types of Klingons, especially if one group is an ostracized minority, does create some interesting story possibilities if the people who are guessing that the Klingons are the ones who discover the Botany Bay in the new timeline are right.

• Locked thread