Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

THE BEST HEADMISTRESS EVER

IfIWereARichMan posted:

Whats the best brand of (vegetable) soup base to use? I've used Better Than Bouillon before, and its drat decent, but on a lark I decided to try some Rapunzel brand that I found in whole foods.

I just made a pot pie with it and surprise surprise, it tastes like powdered soup mix :argh:

No rants about making my own stock please

So you don't want to make your own stock but you do want to use pre-made stuff that doesn't take like pre-made but in fact tastes like stock? Well, then.

Honestly, you're probably better off buying the whatever hot veg soup your grocery store makes instead of powdered stuff if you really insist on (a) not making your own, (b) wasting your money, and (c) using an inferior product. Or find a restaurant that does carry-out and buy their hot veg soup. If you want just liquid and no veg chunks, just strain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Dino. -- do you have a go-to cilantro chutney recipe?

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

tarepanda posted:

I kind of hate you, kind of love you right now. I was looking at spaghetti as a cheap survival food, but now I just want to make some ragu and eat spagetti three times a day for a month.

What is your budget, and how long do you need to survive? Also check out the Cheap Eats thread for tons of advice.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

tarepanda posted:

I kind of hate you, kind of love you right now. I was looking at spaghetti as a cheap survival food, but now I just want to make some ragu and eat spagetti three times a day for a month.

Making a huge batch of ragu using cheap cuts of meat braised to perfection is probably a fantastic budget idea.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
A lot of brand- or premade-specific advice doesn't work since I live in Japan and everything is generally expensive. I just want to eat cheaply for a while and refresh my savings.

I've done it before (on spaghetti) and thought that meat sauce would be a really nice addition!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I got some fresh mint for tabbouleh and mojitos. What are some other tasty things I can make to use up the rest of it?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I was in the grocery yesterday and they gave me a bag of soy bean sprouts.

I will probably throw some in some stir fries, but what else should I do with them? I've got a goddamn pound of these things.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Schmeichy posted:

I got some fresh mint for tabbouleh and mojitos. What are some other tasty things I can make to use up the rest of it?

Larb.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I was in the grocery yesterday and they gave me a bag of soy bean sprouts.

I will probably throw some in some stir fries, but what else should I do with them? I've got a goddamn pound of these things.

Namul

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Funny name and sounds delicious. Thanks!

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any recommendations for a good chicken salad (for sandwiches) recipe?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Went to a birthday party yesterday and the guys mom had made these delicious pesto chicken sandwiches. She said the pesto was just a simple olive oil pesto, out of a jar. It looked like some kind of spices mixed with the olive oil. It was just a loaf of bread, olive oil pesto and mayo mix, chicken with provolone cheese. My question is - what is a good simple pesto olive oil?

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Correnth posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good chicken salad (for sandwiches) recipe?

I like to cook seasoned chicken in butter and bacon fat, toast some slivered almonds, and mix that all up with mayo (and salt and pepper, as needed). Serve on really delicious fresh sourdough or 9 grain bread.

But I like a simple (boring, though) chicken salad. No grapes, no interesting oils, so ymmv I guess. That pesto chicken salad sounds good, though!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Lullabee posted:

Went to a birthday party yesterday and the guys mom had made these delicious pesto chicken sandwiches. She said the pesto was just a simple olive oil pesto, out of a jar. It looked like some kind of spices mixed with the olive oil. It was just a loaf of bread, olive oil pesto and mayo mix, chicken with provolone cheese. My question is - what is a good simple pesto olive oil?

Your question is a little unclear.

If you're asking what kind of olive oil works best for pesto, I would say extra-virgin olive oil.

If you're asking what you put in that oil in order to turn it into pesto, basil pesto traditionally has basil, garlic, pine nuts, and pecorino romano cheese. The basil, garlic, and pine nuts are very finely chopped, the cheese is grated, and the oil is then mixed in.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

Dogfish posted:

Your question is a little unclear.

If you're asking what kind of olive oil works best for pesto, I would say extra-virgin olive oil.

If you're asking what you put in that oil in order to turn it into pesto, basil pesto traditionally has basil, garlic, pine nuts, and pecorino romano cheese. The basil, garlic, and pine nuts are very finely chopped, the cheese is grated, and the oil is then mixed in.
Sorry. It was the second one. Does the amount matter or does the generic one I can find googling it work?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

extra virgin is too strong for pesto, I dont even know if I would use 100% olive oil.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Do baked potatoes really explode if you don't poke holes in them?

In the oven, not the microwave....

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Mahoning posted:

Do baked potatoes really explode if you don't poke holes in them?

In the oven, not the microwave....

Only one way to find out.... You must gather empirical data! For :science:!

(I'd be shocked if they exploded in the oven; I doubt the built-up pressure from the steam is sufficient to cause explosion. But there could be lots of unpleasant steam in your eyes when you first cut into the potato- that'd be my main concern, at least. However, I've never baked a whole potato before (how is that possible? good lord), so maybe it would explode and I'd have egg/potato all over my face.)

SUPER NERDY FAKE EDIT- find out the relative amount of water in a given potato, then do a back-of-the-envelope calculation!

Reasonable fake edit- google/you tube, because you just know someone has done a thorough experiment on exploding potatoes and video recorded it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I've accidentally microwaved little fingerling potatoes without poking holes in them, and they don't so much explode as just burst a little bit. They're just not as pretty as a properly poked microwaved potato. It's not an "oh holy poo poo" explosion like microwaving an egg.

Yehudis Basya
Jul 27, 2006

Making smitten kitchen's tomato and sausage risotto tonight for dinner. This will be my first risotto attempt. Risotto scares me, thanks to Gordon Ramsey. Is smitten kitchen's technique novice-proof, or does anyone have any words of wisdom to add? I'm mainly concerned about "Continue adding tomato mixture, 1 cup at a time, waiting for one cup to be absorbed before adding the next, stirring occasionally, until rice is creamy and just tender". How the hell do I feel that?

Hawkgirl posted:

I've accidentally microwaved little fingerling potatoes without poking holes in them, and they don't so much explode as just burst a little bit. They're just not as pretty as a properly poked microwaved potato. It's not an "oh holy poo poo" explosion like microwaving an egg.
I really wanna microwave various crap to watch it explode, it's like the 5 year old kid inside of me bursts out triumphantly when my proximity to the microwave increases.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
The rice grains shouldn't have any hard bits in em. That's about it—pretty much just "cook until the rice is done".

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

If you're worried about it, just spoon out a couple of grains from time to time and test their mouth feel.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

As with all things cooking: taste taste taste. You tell it is done because you've tasted it and it was tender in the mouth. Gordon Ramsay has also pointed this out to his tv show slaves over and over. Taste for seasoning, taste for doneness, always taste.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Turkeybone posted:

extra virgin is too strong for pesto, I dont even know if I would use 100% olive oil.

Look at this wrong opinion you have. If the oil is to strong of a flavor (impossible in pesto, by the way) just add some extra basil. Pesto is supposed to be a bold concoction.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Look at this wrong opinion you have. If the oil is to strong of a flavor (impossible in pesto, by the way) just add some extra basil. Pesto is supposed to be a bold concoction.

Not an opinion, many years of cooking experience. If you have to add less oil or more other stuff to balance out the flavors then you lose the consistency. Pesto is bold, but it shouldn't be an overly expensive concoction, either.

e: To be clear, I'm not saying that other methods are the devil, but I would personally never make a pesto using 100% extra virgin oil.

Turkeybone fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 18, 2012

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

As a note, gently caress ever making pâte a choux by hand again. I've got blisters on both my hands from mixing the eggs in, and my arms are sore as gently caress too.

Delicious, but not worth the suffering. I'll fill them tomorrow morning just before work, and have delightful chocolate pb banana eclairs. Currently they are ganached and in the fridge waiting.

Did I mention my pastry bag exploded too, and all my plastic zip bags are cheap weak poo poo....

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I made a bunch of creme brulee and now I have 24 egg whites in a vacuum jar waiting for me to decide what to do with them. Suggestions?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

I made a bunch of creme brulee and now I have 24 egg whites in a vacuum jar waiting for me to decide what to do with them. Suggestions?

Ramos Gin Fizzes, all of them :holy:

Or make marshmallows, meringues, vauquelins...

or the largest "heart healthy" omelette.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have enough to do all three, thanks!

I first heard of egg whites in cocktails four years ago, still blows my mind.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Steve Yun posted:

If you're not into breakfast foods or the many potential sweet uses, look up a recipe or two for seafood sausage. No casings are necessary if you're skilled at poaching. However, with white seafood sausage, you can fill casings without a machine (It flows easily, so you can use a pastry cone, cookie gun, useless condom, snipped ziplock, latex glove, half of a 2 liter bottle, or perhaps a funnel).

I like it because I am secretly extremely lazy. I can use a bunch of spare seafood and crap, make sausage in 10 minutes, and give the impression that I just spent hours in the kitchen, thus maintaining the secret of my extreme laziness.

Or freeze the whites in an ice cube tray.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Turkeybone posted:

Not an opinion, many years of cooking experience. If you have to add less oil or more other stuff to balance out the flavors then you lose the consistency. Pesto is bold, but it shouldn't be an overly expensive concoction, either.

e: To be clear, I'm not saying that other methods are the devil, but I would personally never make a pesto using 100% extra virgin oil.

I always assumed you wanted to use it because of the flavor. Tons of fresh basil, whole garlic, pine nuts, salt + pepper in a blender. Drizzle in extra virgin olive oil until it comes together.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Jun 18, 2012

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
Is there going to be another Vegas Dining thread?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

LTBS posted:

Is there going to be another Vegas Dining thread?

If you start one, my guess would be yes

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
If one were to serve chicken and waffles, what would one want with one's waffles? I assume butter at least, but a savory garlic herb compound butter? Syrup? I'm just wondering if it is supposed to be like traditional breakfast-style waffles or if it is meant to be a biscuit.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Very Strange Things posted:

If one were to serve chicken and waffles, what would one want with one's waffles? I assume butter at least, but a savory garlic herb compound butter? Syrup? I'm just wondering if it is supposed to be like traditional breakfast-style waffles or if it is meant to be a biscuit.

Syrup. Good dark grade b maple. Or some sorghum.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've had it served with honey butter instead of butter and syrup. But I've also had it served with sausage gravy. Both were excellent.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Hot sauce, butter, maple syrup.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I prefer syrup, myself. It's sort of a tradition thing.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.

Certain subsets of the PA dutch will shred the chicken and serve it with a white gravy. If you want to lean savory instead of sweet, give that a try.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of waffles, I just got a new waffle maker that did a great job on its first run use. Now I want the best authentic Belgian waffle recipe I can find. I used the King Arthur recipe, which I thought was good, but no idea how authentic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Thanks; I guess there's no One True Chicken and Waffle condiment. I'll experiment with both gravies and syrups -I just hope to god that I don't get any syrup on the fried chicken by accident because that's just terrible when it happens with sausage or bacon except not really.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Speaking of waffles, I just got a new waffle maker that did a great job on its first run use. Now I want the best authentic Belgian waffle recipe I can find. I used the King Arthur recipe, which I thought was good, but no idea how authentic.

Also make brownies in it.