Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Well, as I said before, for the same reason lightning does not fork anywhere but the path of least resistance. We've yet to see some reason why nature would have need of time loops in the real world, so why would it add them?

Homestuck gives a reason and then adds them - it's a means to achieve the reproduction of universes. The code to create Sburb comes from within Sburb. In this way a universe can produce another universe. Admittedly the chess monsters and the elaborate personal quests for a group of spunky teenagers are put in for storytelling reasons, but overall Sburb is apparently a product of nature. All of the time loops can be understood as necessary steps to achieving nature's purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Wrist Watch posted:

When you gaze long into the abyss...

The void wonks back at you.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dolash posted:

Well, as I said before, for the same reason lightning does not fork anywhere but the path of least resistance.

So you're theorizing that time operates the same way as electricity. Why?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Dolash posted:

Well, as I said before, for the same reason lightning does not fork anywhere but the path of least resistance. We've yet to see some reason why nature would have need of time loops in the real world, so why would it add them?

Homestuck gives a reason and then adds them - it's a means to achieve the reproduction of universes. The code to create Sburb comes from within Sburb. In this way a universe can produce another universe. Admittedly the chess monsters and the elaborate personal quests for a group of spunky teenagers are put in for storytelling reasons, but overall Sburb is apparently a product of nature. All of the time loops can be understood as necessary steps to achieving nature's purpose.

Who says that time loops are any more resistant than not having them? Youre making huge implications about stuff that no one understands.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Can we stop talking about the hypothetical status of time travel as compared in real life and Homestuck? We CAN'T do it in real life, so we don't know how it should or shouldn't work. And Hussie is writing Homestuck, so time travel works as the plot dictates. It's this mechanical analysis of fictional universes. that makes the :spergin: emote necessary

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 18, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dolash posted:

Also, what makes you think that "nature's purpose" in "real life" doesn't include time loops?

Dolash posted:

Why can't we discuss it, or use it as a jumping-off point for discussion?

Because in Homestuck how time travel might work in real life is completely irrelevant because the only thing that actually matters is how time travel works in Homestuck, so saying "Here is how I think time travel works in real life, so therefore X and Y about Homestuck" is really stupid. Entirely aside from the fact that baldly asserting "This is how time travel works in real life" is really stupid to begin with.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

fatherdog posted:

So you're theorizing that time operates the same way as electricity. Why?

It's not just electricity. Physics, chemistry and biology are all in their own way deterministic. A planet in orbit never suddenly goes against the prevailing force of gravity, and a chemical remains seemingly inert until the conditions are met for it to react - then the reaction is certain, barring intervention.

Circular causation appears to be something only nature could do, barring the cosmic power to create cause and effect from nothing. There's no outside influence on causation that we know of, heck the only outside influence on time at all appears to be possible changes in subjective time. Since we don't yet have reason to believe that universes actually reproduce in anything resembling Homestuck's way (I guess we don't know, but we don't have reason to believe), it's not yet imaginable what would drive nature to include them, since they'd serve no purpose.

edit

Triskelli posted:

Can we stop talking about the hypothetical status of time travel as compared in real life and Homestuck? We CAN'T do it in real life, so we don't know how it should or shouldn't work. And Hussie is writing Homestuck, so time travel works as the plot dictates. It's this mechanical analysis of fictional universes. that makes the :spergin: emote necessary

You know, you're right. This is all a pretty unfortunate derail since it's not even the point of what I was trying to say, or helpful to that point. It doesn't matter how the real world works, what matters is that in Homestuck Sburb had absolute causal power over its players, and Lord English had even more causal power than Sburb, but it's turned out Lord English may have started off as a player. How do you go from a position of being subject to causality to one of dictating it? That's what I really wanted to ask.

I'll drop the "timeline in nature" discussion. It's interesting and I like talking it out but I feel bad cluttering up the thread.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 18, 2012

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I'm not sure if uu is Lord English yet. Mouse over the top here, and you can see that none of the u's have any difference in capitalization from the other letters.
The other thing is the synopsis of Complacency of the Learned. Calmasis is described as "both the hero and chief antagonist," which sounds like the two we know, but Calmasis also focuses his/her efforts on defeating Zazzerpan. Who's he symbolic of?
Then there's the twelve fellow disciples who get sacrificed to do so. There are 12 trolls, sure, but why only them, rather than the humans? Scouring for other groups whose numbers add up to 12, I realized that the B1 and B2 kids and the four trolls on the asteroid lab since Aradia and Sollux left add up to 12.

There's another identity for Lord English that I don't think I've seen considered: The ectobiological ancestor of Calliope/uu.

Also, a question came to me that might tie into all of this. Calliope has been following and enjoying happenings from the A and B universes and races, but she has only decided to contact the B2 kids. Why?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 18, 2012

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

I'm not sure if uu is Lord English yet. Mouse over the top here, and you can see that none of the u's have any difference in capitalization from the other letters.

There's another identity for Lord English that I don't think I've seen considered: The ectobiological ancestor of Calliope/UU.

Also, a question came to me that might tie into all of this. Calliope has been following and enjoying happenings from the A and B universes and races, but she has only decided to contact the B2 kids. Why?

Obviously because the B2 kids were the only group that included Roxy, The Best Character.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

fatherdog posted:

Obviously because the B2 kids were the only group that included Roxy, The Best Character.

This might actually be entirely true. The B1 timeline is fixed and can be observed in its entirety beginning to end, so why bother intervening? But the B2 session goes dark (presumably because of Roxy's void powers) and its future is uncertain.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Triskelli posted:

"He who fights monsters should take care not to become one."

On the subject of Lil' Cal, take another look at Dirk's version of the puppet. Its eyes are "dead", and uu says as much.

Ok, but...

Dave posted:

TG: oh man i wish lil cal wouldnt look at me like that
TG: with those dead eyes jesus

So I feel like all of this dead talk is another misdirect.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Cavatica posted:

Ok, but...

Here's a visual example:

B1 Lil' Cal: (Bro's)

B2 Lil' Cal: (Dirk's)

B2 Cal doesn't have the high-definition eyes that his B1 counterpart has. He lacks the mystic jujus that otherwise make him the most important character. The "dead eyes" refer to completely different things and are in different contexts

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Here's a visual example:

B2 Cal doesn't have the high-definition eyes that his B1 counterpart has. He lacks the mystic jujus that otherwise make him the most important character. The "dead eyes" refer to completely different things and are in different contexts

That's not a good example since those are two different art assets entirely. The picture you used for B2 Cal is the same stock image that's been used for B1 Cal before.

http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=005451

We won't know if there's an actual difference in how their eyes are rendered until actual matching images are found for comparison.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I love how Lil Cal is this bizarre rap homie puppet, but the same elements that make him ridiculous go on to be the same things that make Lord English intimidating. The gold tooth, the rosy cheeks, etc.

It was done similarly through the prototyping concept--I enjoyed the way the mishmash of objects that were prototyped manged to come together to make a threatening-looking enemy in Jack Noir, and I've always sort of felt there's something that was lost once he got streamlined after Bec was added into the mix.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Here's a visual example:

I think you'll want to look at Dirk's versus Dave's again.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Gabriel Pope posted:

There's also the fact that uu is explicitly an audience surrogate figure and that opens up some fascinating possibilities for Lord English. Skaia, with its "infinite creative potential", becomes a metaphor for the storytelling process as a whole--creating whole new worlds which ultimately only exist for the "consumption" of the audience, which has the entire span of the story laid neatly out in an archival format which they can jump back and forth through at their leisure. And like the old saying goes, wherever you go, there you (already) are.

If this is how the story ends up then Homestuck would achieve some kind of meta-singularity.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Dolash posted:

Yeah that was super clunky. I just wanted to say nature tends toward simplicity.

Our attempt to mathematically describe nature tend to be simplistic because it's easier for us to understand. The things we're trying to describe are almost always WAY more complex than we largely reduce them to. See: loving string theory, matter existing in dozens of unknown dimensions for our "simple" laws to be able to interact properly, etc.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Wait, I completely glazed over this. Jack calls Cal his best friend, just as uu calls Jack HIS friend. :aaaaa:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Dr Christmas posted:

I suspect that UU and uu somehow end up being the same being. maybe their child? I'm not sure. Point is Lord English is a time/space player, made up for both master classes. which is why he is so loving dangerous.

Maybe uu and UU are from the furthest Rim? Lord English was slaughtering them according to Rose, right? Maybe that's where their from and the formation of Lord English is really bad poo poo for them?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
More importantly: Does anyone have the fake troll UU that Hussie asked people to spread around on Tumblr instead of the actual spoiler appearance?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Ammat The Ankh posted:

More importantly: Does anyone have the fake troll UU that Hussie asked people to spread around on Tumblr instead of the actual spoiler appearance?

It's on the wiki page

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
It's actually still on mspa.com, but just in case:

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!
I think this just about sums up most of the fandom's (and most of this thread's) reaction to the big UU reveal.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a "what the gently caress, goddamn" reaction. I'm starting to feel rather sorry for Calliope now, though. Unless Hussie pulls another fast one and it turns out she's a manipulative, sociopathic schemer, she's been nothing but sunshine and rainbows to all of the B2 kids so far. She's truly beautiful on the inside. :unsmith:

I'm still wondering what the deal is with the lime blood/red blood bit. It made more sense back when we (at least, some of us) were assuming she was a troll or troll-related creature. Now that we know she's a cherub, that blood bit doesn't make as much sense, at least not without further exposition from the Huss. Do cherubs have different blood colors? What did she mean when she said that limebloods were hunted to extinction - was she referring to limeblood trolls or limeblood cherubs? And where, physically, are uu and UU?

So many questions answered in the last update, yet so many still waiting to be tied up. Oh Homestuck.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I dont feel strongly either way on the issue of whether or not uu is lord english, but another shred of evidence for your consideration and perusal:

uu posted:

uu: I THOuGHT YOu OF ALL PEOPLE WOuLD APPRECIATE MY MODIFICATIONS.
uu: THE CROWNS ARE REALLY NICE AND WELL CRAFTED.
uu: FORM FITTING. HARDLY ADDING ANY HEIGHT.
uu: LIKE CAPPING.
uu: A TOOTH.

lord english has a gold capped tooth, calliope doesn't.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
Happened to be watching a PBS special this evening, am I crazy in seeing a resemblance in UU to Australopithecus afarensis more than a human skull? Mostly the prominent jaw and cheekbones, I guess.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rooreelooo posted:

I dont feel strongly either way on the issue of whether or not uu is lord english, but another shred of evidence for your consideration and perusal:

Think of it in the context of what an outsider might see cosplay as being like or something, that's what I thought anyway

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

fatherdog posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHURRRRRGGGGGggggggghhhhhh :unsmigghh:

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Speaking of cosplay (tangentially), someone who'd never heard of Homestuck showed up to a con dressed as Rufio. He got a way bigger response than he expected (it went well, though :unsmith:).

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Hamiltonian Bicycle posted:

It's actually still on mspa.com, but just in case:

Thank ye kindly.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, that's pretty impressive.

E: To add a little more effort to my post, I've noticed on my tumblr trawling that a great deal of tumblr artists are doing a pretty decent job of avoiding the trap of turning UU into a non-grotesque, traditionally cute character :unsmith:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
You know: are the Felt supposed to be a variant of Cherubim? They're not that visually similar, but they are servants of English and have the same green thing going on.

sansuki
May 17, 2003

Glory of Arioch posted:

Yeah, I was half-expecting Jake's land to have angels in it. It's pretty obvious that of the acronyms, Jake's land is gonna be LOMAX. Hrm, is there a synonym for angel that begins with 'M'? 'X' is probably Xenon in keeping with the Noble gas theme.

You mean like Bernie Lomax?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anybody posted this yet?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Zorak posted:

You know: are the Felt supposed to be a variant of Cherubim? They're not that visually similar, but they are servants of English and have the same green thing going on.

I think the Felt are based on the carapace people, either modified from them or created from them with ecto-biology shenannigans by Lord English.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Zorak posted:

They looked to me like carapaces, or they could be one of the various alien species that the trolls subjugated, or something yet to be explained. They're very unlikely to be cherubim.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

I was the guy who told him to do a live audio response!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Dolash posted:

But isn't it plausible to say nature wouldn't stick in time loops for no reason? Why isn't that a reasonable theory? Why can't we discuss it, or use it as a jumping-off point for discussion?

Hell I only really made the real life comparison at all to better emphasize that in Homestuck the game of Sburb has controlled the fates of all of its players but somehow Lord English controls fate better than the game, yet somehow Lord English apparently started off as a player subject to Sburb's control. Ignore that first part if you want to, it's not really critical, what about the rest of it?

Physicist here, you're talking gobbldygook.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Zorak posted:

I had the same rough idea before but then I remembered that the chess game between UU and uu used red and green pieces. Maybe their SBURB game uses a Red and Green colour scheme to reflect this and the Felt are Carapaces or Imps? Skaia appeared black simply because it was a null session.
Considering the Felt all looked unique leads me to be unsure though. The uu/UU session would only have two prototypings which makes the variety of the Felt difficult to achieve if they're Imps, right?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Popo posted:

I had the same rough idea before but then I remembered that the chess game between UU and uu used red and green pieces. Maybe their SBURB game uses a Red and Green colour scheme to reflect this and the Felt are Carapaces or Imps? Skaia appeared black simply because it was a null session.
Considering the Felt all looked unique leads me to be unsure though. The uu/UU session would only have two prototypings which makes the variety of the Felt difficult to achieve if they're Imps, right?

The members of the Midnight Crew all looked unique, and they were just carapace people too. The Felt might be the result of an unusual configuration of archagents in UU/uu's Incipisphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Rose Spirit posted:

Happened to be watching a PBS special this evening, am I crazy in seeing a resemblance in UU to Australopithecus afarensis more than a human skull? Mostly the prominent jaw and cheekbones, I guess.

I don't have a link, but there's possibly another reason why Cherubs have prominent lower faces: Cherubism.