Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

After buying and playing the game all afternoon, I've picked up on a couple things. First, I probably shouldn't try to go to the Witchwood right after killing the hydra's head. I got my rear end handed to me by the bandits on the road on the way there. Eventually one of my pawns gets to the edge of the "Bandit throwing cliff" as I had come to call it after I found it was easier to toss the dual dagger bandits off of it than to try and fight them, and says "long way down, could be a shortcut!" or something to that effect.

At that point I was looking at a grouping of bandits just in front of me that had destroyed the party a couple times in a row, so of course I'm saying "gently caress it, can't be worse." Turns out the bottom of the cliff was stocked with lizardmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lazyfire posted:

After buying and playing the game all afternoon, I've picked up on a couple things. First, I probably shouldn't try to go to the Witchwood right after killing the hydra's head. I got my rear end handed to me by the bandits on the road on the way there. Eventually one of my pawns gets to the edge of the "Bandit throwing cliff" as I had come to call it after I found it was easier to toss the dual dagger bandits off of it than to try and fight them, and says "long way down, could be a shortcut!" or something to that effect.

At that point I was looking at a grouping of bandits just in front of me that had destroyed the party a couple times in a row, so of course I'm saying "gently caress it, can't be worse." Turns out the bottom of the cliff was stocked with lizardmen.

You actually can do the Witchwood quests now (and it's not a bad idea to, because you might forget and lose access to them like I did. Twice).

It didn't occur to me either, but you can actually run from those bastard bandits (or anything really), your pawns will eventually catch up, they'll even teleport to your side if you get far enough away from them.

Edit: hucking bad guys off of cliffs never gets old though.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Bleusilences posted:

How many combo the dagger have, because sometime I start kicking from some unknown reason. By experimenting I discover that if you hold heavy attack it will do a three hit combo instead of just a double stab.

Those are the upgrades you buy for the core skills. You kick if you pause after pressing light attack, and as you said you hold heavy attack to do the other one. Other weapons are similar.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Are there any augments/stats that speed up the charge of Mystic Archer skills?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How good are the assassin's stealth and poison skills for the daggers? I'm starting to get bored of Hundred Kisses and Cutting Wind.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Evil Mastermind posted:

Are there any augments/stats that speed up the charge of Mystic Archer skills?
I've tested the ranger quick draw aug, the sorcerer quick cast aug, and the wyrm ring, none of them seem to do anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Pretty sure the Sorceror quick cast does work.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I've just discovered that if you want to bring the witness from the Windbluff Tower for Fournival's innocence, don't bring him to the castle at night/evening (I had been arrested thanks to the duchess and got my time confused, thought it was morning. He just disappears when you enter the demesne and cannot be "turned in".

Also, I cannot get his daughter to give me an affidavit because her babysitting quest never came up, even though I finished the Land of Opportunities quest. drat. I got all four fake affidavits, one from Fedel, and one from the priest. Is Fournival screwed?

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jun 18, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Cbouncerrun posted:

Pretty sure the Sorceror quick cast does work.
Huh, I maxed out sorcerer for that specific reason reason, tried it out, and didn't see any difference.

Gumball Dad
Apr 9, 2007

Wanna meet that dad
OK. I seem to have a bit of a problem. If a hired pawn dies in combat, what happens to all the stuff you were having them carry. Specifically equipment. Because I had one carrying a ton of fantastic armor and weapons that I'd found. She died falling off a roof during a cyclops fight and now I can't find any of my stuff. It's not in storage, nothing. Please don't tell me I lost it all.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Gumball Dad posted:

OK. I seem to have a bit of a problem. If a hired pawn dies in combat, what happens to all the stuff you were having them carry. Specifically equipment. Because I had one carrying a ton of fantastic armor and weapons that I'd found. She died falling off a roof during a cyclops fight and now I can't find any of my stuff. It's not in storage, nothing. Please don't tell me I lost it all.
Unless you equipped the pawn the equipment, they should be in storage. If you did equip the armor/weapons, goodbye things (they're treated as gifts in this case)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I've just discovered that if you want to bring the witness from the Windbluff Tower for Fournival's innocence, don't bring him to the castle at night/evening (I had been arrested thanks to the duchess and got my time confused, thought it was morning. He just disappears when you enter the demesne and cannot be "turned in".

Also, I cannot get his daughter to give me an affidavit because her babysitting quest never came up, even though I finished the Land of Opportunities quest. drat. I got all four fake affidavits, one from Fedel, and one from the priest. Is Fournival screwed?

There's a Chamberlain's affidavit on a desk in Fournival Manor too, if you turn all that in along with it you might get lucky.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
My character started out as a fighter and when he maxed that out I switched him to what I thought would be a natural extension, a warrior. I'm six ranks into warrior and I still don't "get" it. He's powerful, sure, but his swings are so slow that most enemies, especially the nimbler ones like direwolves, run straight past me and attack my casters. I whiff more than I actually manage to hit enemies. I'm probably going to try out assassin tonight instead, but are there some good warrior skills that maybe I'm overlooking?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

My character started out as a fighter and when he maxed that out I switched him to what I thought would be a natural extension, a warrior. I'm six ranks into warrior and I still don't "get" it. He's powerful, sure, but his swings are so slow that most enemies, especially the nimbler ones like direwolves, run straight past me and attack my casters. I whiff more than I actually manage to hit enemies. I'm probably going to try out assassin tonight instead, but are there some good warrior skills that maybe I'm overlooking?
I felt this way too, there are just so many enemies that they can't do poo poo against.

Jefferoo
Jun 24, 2008

by Lowtax
I dabbled in Warrior and didn't have that much of a problem with the wolves, mainly swinging wildly. Assassin's just a lot more fun, jumping between sword and bow. Fighter felt a lot more useless with regards to the harpies and other flying enemies.

In other news, I just discovered that awesome movie where you can launch guys in the air with the one-handed sword, it's rad as gently caress.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm beginning to think I've been playing this game in the most retarded manner possible so forgive me if this question is a bit :downs::

Is it bad that I've never changed my pawn's class even though she's been at max rank in the mage class for awhile? I'd been wanting her to get all skills in the mage class before changing it, but it's taking forever and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and switch her and then come back to the mage class much later.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: do the wyrm ring and the level 9 sorcerer augment that speed up casting times stack?

They do stack, but it's an almost imperceptible bonus. On Hunter Bolt it's the difference between the attack being charged the second you finish the "draw the arrow" animation, or finishing like a quarter of a second after.

Chairon
Aug 13, 2007
I once was a man. Well,I suppose I still am.
So i've found my new favorite thing to do.

I hired a level 6 fighter pawn and i'm keeping her. I'm level 25 or so now and i'm just setting her up with all this sweet gear I keep finding. My plan is to take her all the way through the entire game, maybe even post.

I can't imagine the look on her owners face when they get her back :)

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

RBA Starblade posted:

There's a Chamberlain's affidavit on a desk in Fournival Manor too, if you turn all that in along with it you might get lucky.

No such luck; I think I already turned that in for a previous quest.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Emong posted:

They do stack, but it's an almost imperceptible bonus. On Hunter Bolt it's the difference between the attack being charged the second you finish the "draw the arrow" animation, or finishing like a quarter of a second after.
Well, I also got that augment to cast ruinous sigil faster, and it definitely works well for that.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

...! posted:

I'm beginning to think I've been playing this game in the most retarded manner possible so forgive me if this question is a bit :downs::

Is it bad that I've never changed my pawn's class even though she's been at max rank in the mage class for awhile? I'd been wanting her to get all skills in the mage class before changing it, but it's taking forever and I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and switch her and then come back to the mage class much later.

You're fine. Change her class whenever you want, you really can't screw yourself.

Mr Asshat
Oct 28, 2005
Holy crap the two handed swords kick so much rear end, gently caress shields and ranged attacks i am just going to hit poo poo with my 25 kilogram slab of raw steel until it loving stops breathing. :black101:

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
Finally got the platinum and all I can say is gently caress the quest system.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Marogareh posted:

Finally got the platinum and all I can say is gently caress the quest system.
I don't know if it's organized enough to call a "system".

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PS3 goons add me! Check out my pawn. He'll cast a high maelstrom on that cyclops you're hanging onto and take it down in seconds and it will be awesome.

ID explosivo98

Edit: Oh and he'll suck your dick for a dollar.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 18, 2012

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Okay whoever said in this thread that Golems are 100% immune to magic is a huge rear end in a top hat because you made me climb one and punch its weak points for literally half an hour instead of casting Gicel a few times.

Also the warrior/fighter AI refusing to climb them to attack the upper weak spots is really dumb. I want to murder whoever put Golems in the game.

Mr Asshat
Oct 28, 2005
So what is a good main pawn for a character who is all out offensive, is it possible to make a good support mage?

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Sindai posted:

Okay whoever said in this thread that Golems are 100% immune to magic is a huge rear end in a top hat because you made me climb one and punch its weak points for literally half an hour instead of casting Gicel a few times.

Also the warrior/fighter AI refusing to climb them to attack the upper weak spots is really dumb. I want to murder whoever put Golems in the game.

Wait until the metal golem to do that. It IS completely resistant to all magic damage. It's also basically impossible to beat if you don't have a ranger/strider/assassin in your team.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What quest do you encounter the metal golem on? Can magic archers damage the metal's targets?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Mr Asshat posted:

So what is a good main pawn for a character who is all out offensive, is it possible to make a good support mage?
I don't see why not. Fill it full of Affinity and healing spells and it won't really have a choice. :haw:

Also quick question; Is minmaxing my stats going to be important for the Ur-Dragon? I want to try out all the classes on one character, this isn't going to gimp my stats any huge amount right?

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Sindai posted:

What quest do you encounter the metal golem on? Can magic archers damage the metal's targets?

First, and only, times I've faced metal golems were in The Everfall. And no, they can't. I'm still angry I had to leave that room because my pawns refused to shoot the high up target, instead choosing to attack its shins while yelling "Attacking it directly is futile!" :byodood:

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

a kitten posted:

You actually can do the Witchwood quests now (and it's not a bad idea to, because you might forget and lose access to them like I did. Twice).

It didn't occur to me either, but you can actually run from those bastard bandits (or anything really), your pawns will eventually catch up, they'll even teleport to your side if you get far enough away from them.

Edit: hucking bad guys off of cliffs never gets old though.

I'm going to have to go back and do them no matter what considering I finally said gently caress it and did the quest I was putting off and got to the main city and now have a quest to go back to the Witchwood anyways.

On the topic of throwing things off cliffs my strategy whenever there have been cliffs is pretty much "Wolves hunt in packs/GOBLINS!/Armed rogues!/Monsters with women's faces" ->Blind Strike ->Throw of nearest cliff.

It's super effective.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
HUMAN BONES

THAT MOVE ON THEIR OWN!?

But yes throwing things off cliffs is just the best loving thing. I don't know anyone who, on first getting inside the Everfall, didn't immediately start tossing skeletons off the side.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sindai posted:

After you've done 'Witch Hunt', if you return to the Witchwood a couple days and go to the river in the back area a metal golem will spawn, starting the quest 'Mettle against Metal'. Like Captain says, bring some ranged ability of your own - one crystal is in a tree, and while mage and strider pawns can and will attack it, they don't do so very often, especially with a golem stomping around.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pierson posted:

HUMAN BONES

THAT MOVE ON THEIR OWN!?

The pawns in this game are like meme generators at this point for me. Between the ones already listed there has been "WOLVES HUNT IN PACKS" which is just annoying after about 20 repetitions.

I'm digging the game thus far, though. The throwing mechanic is pretty much a gateway to being a huge rear end in a top hat or avoiding annoyingly long fights against normal sized enemies. It goes from tossing striders over cliffs just to avoid their bullshit one hit kills to doing it to well armored fighters to not have to beat on them for a good minute to do damage.

Can anyone confirm that the Witchwood is up the path to the left after you go around the Encampment? I think that's where it is, but the map helps nothing in that.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Can anyone confirm that the Witchwood is up the path to the left after you go around the Encampment? I think that's where it is, but the map helps nothing in that.

Yeah. Go past the Encampment, turn left first opportunity you can. You'll go past a cave entrance, which is the rear exit of the Cassardis sewers, and up a mountain path with the most unsubtle rock trap you've ever seen at the top. There's a couple small packs of bandits up there, but as long as you turn immediately left after the path and stick to the left wall you won't run into the much bigger army of them that's just outside the ruined castle in the region.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

THEY'RE MASTERWORKS AALLL YOU CANT GO WRONG

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

THEY'RE MASTERWORKS AALLL YOU CANT GO WRONG

I am going to find a way to murder that guy, considering it took me like three transactions to get what I wanted, then sell the stuff I didn't and then buy more things. I had to hear that far too often.

Stelas posted:

Yeah. Go past the Encampment, turn left first opportunity you can. You'll go past a cave entrance, which is the rear exit of the Cassardis sewers, and up a mountain path with the most unsubtle rock trap you've ever seen at the top. There's a couple small packs of bandits up there, but as long as you turn immediately left after the path and stick to the left wall you won't run into the much bigger army of them that's just outside the ruined castle in the region.

Thought so. I was dying over and over to the large group of bandits by the rock formation at the bottom of the hill. Turns out if you jump down the bandit toss cliff there are lizards there who happen to hunt in a huge pack.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Lazyfire posted:

I am going to find a way to murder that guy, considering it took me like three transactions to get what I wanted, then sell the stuff I didn't and then buy more things. I had to hear that far too often.

I'm pretty sure that if you romance him he'll show up in your house in the post-game and you can murder him then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Lazyfire posted:

Thought so. I was dying over and over to the large group of bandits by the rock formation at the bottom of the hill. Turns out if you jump down the bandit toss cliff there are lizards there who happen to hunt in a huge pack.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the cave stacked full with sulfurous lizards. Basically, going straight-on down the hill at all in that region is a really bad idea at least until you've been to Gran Soren and back, you'll either meet an army of bandits or an army of lizards. It's doable if you've rented high-level pawns from your friends list, but still obnoxious as you have to kite and run. Just go left, hit the Witchwood, and the Quina quest will automatically point you to a one-way shortcut back to Cassardis.

• Locked thread