Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea
read super's megapost on bullies: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&noseen=1&postid=385995165

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Oh I know, I've just always assumed that "Ambully" was shorthand for American Bulldog. Kind like GSD or APBT. :shobon: I never thought those particular dogs had a name at all.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
We went to the lake this past weekend, Opel Vectra is a dogvan!

And nope they all didn't travel the distance in the trunk.

From left to right:
Finnish Lapphund Naru 8 yrs, Brittany Sally 14 yrs, Lapponian Herder Healy 6yrs, Border Collie TyTy 1yr, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Harmony 5yrs, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Serene 1yr.

Riiseli fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 17, 2012

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Ty Ty has googly eyes.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bash Ironfist posted:

True. But I think a chihuahua wouldn't look as menacing as a pit bull.

I wouldn't cross her.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
My local pet supply store has the saddest/happiest resident cat. She was rescued recently off the street; the vet estimates her as being in her late teens and she has some kind of abdominal tumor. She's absolutely skin and bones. Her ears are strange mangled little stubs.

Ordinarily I would say "jesus christ put that poor creature to sleep," but they wanted to give her a chance at a little quiet time and...yeah, I can see why. This cat is the lovingest drat creature I've seen. She runs up for pats as soon as she sees anyone. She was all over my three-year-old daughter; she was climbing into my lap and giving me kitty-smooches, purring like mad. I hardly know where to pat her since every single bone feels like a knife under her skin and I'm sure she's all arthritic, but she doesn't seem to mind. The woman who works there says that even though they can't put any weight on her she eats well and scolds them if her food dish doesn't fill up three times a day.

So, yeah. Obviously she can't live very much longer (and I hope they don't shy from euthanizing her when the time comes) but she seems like she's having a really happy last few weeks. The sweetest drat cat. I--well, honestly, I don't want to know how this tiny old lady cat ended up on the street, since obviously she was a pet once and it's probably really depressing.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Kerfuffle posted:

Oh I know, I've just always assumed that "Ambully" was shorthand for American Bulldog. Kind like GSD or APBT. :shobon: I never thought those particular dogs had a name at all.
Yep, the breed name is American Bully, shortened to Ambully. People are starting to identify them as a separate breed rather than just calling them Pit Bulls now, but there is still a lot of confusion amongst the public about what and what isn't a Pit Bull, and unfortunately a lot of people think that those ARE Pit Bulls. It's really the main reason I have a problem with the breed in the first place - an American Bully bites somebody, and it's almost definitely going to be reported as a "Pit Bull attack". This has already happened many times. It's not so much that I hate the breed itself; I hate the fact that they are lumped in with real APBTs, and on top of it are short lived and riddled with health problems. It's really very sad. :(

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

Riiseli posted:

We went to the lake this past weekend, Opel Vectra is a dogvan!

And nope they all didn't travel the distance in the trunk.

From left to right:
Finnish Lapphund Naru 8 yrs, Brittany Sally 14 yrs, Lapponian Herder Healy 6yrs, Border Collie TyTy 1yr, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Harmony 5yrs, Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever Serene 1yr.

This is an amazing picture.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.
I see your dogvan and raise you...the Sheltie Stroller.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

Azrael Alexander posted:

I see your dogvan and raise you...the Sheltie Stroller.

:aaa: Every time I look I see another dog in there.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

:aaa: Every time I look I see another dog in there.

They had a second stroller, also full of Shelties, but I didn't get a picture. :saddowns:

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Well at least they understand the importance of walking their dogs.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

ChairmanMeow posted:

Well at least they understand the importance of walking their dogs.

Hehe, they were at an adoption/show off your dawg event, so I guess it's ok. I do hope they get non-stroller walks though.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Azrael Alexander posted:

Hehe, they were at an adoption/show off your dawg event, so I guess it's ok. I do hope they get non-stroller walks though.

That makes sense. I thought they were just tooling down the road pretending the dogs were babies. I can imagine it's tough to get around events with the dogs.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
My 7 lb dog just ate a hamburger left on the couch by a drunk person. I didn't know it was there, so she ate the whole thing except the bun. I rrrrreally don't want to deal with the inevitable diarrhea and I'm always super worried about pancreatitis after seeing so many tiny dogs at work suffering horribly from it. Ughh I'm really loving angry right now.

Hi Pet Island how are you :) Long time no see

e: because who loving grills a hamburger and assembles it and sits down to eat it, then staggers off to the bedroom to fall asleep without touching it? what the gently caress.

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I ate the equivalent in hamburgers today and so far so good.

seriously though I hope your dog is OK.

pandaid
Feb 9, 2004

RAWR
I left for 10 minutes to get a snack at the store after being home all day. I came back to:

Here is the culprit with the evidence. That was a drat good plant, that grew to epic heights. He also knocked this plant over when I first got it and it was much shorter. It lost a few leaves and he broke the pot on that one. I thought he was over his plant knocking over phase.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
Orange cats never get over the urge to destroy what you love. It's in their genetics.

Tom you son of a bitch I had plans for that amaryllis

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

Captain Foxy posted:

Orange cats never get over the urge to destroy what you love. It's in their genetics.

Fixed. If I leave a mug/glass/plate out where Marvin can reach and turn my back for a second I'd have a broken mug/glass/plate. It's only getting worse as time goes on because at 6 years old & 13 pounds he's able to jump to more places, have the strength to knock over more heavy stuff, and cause more collateral damage.

My favourite coffee mug was lost this way and I'm still not sure I can 100% forgive him.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

One of these days, one of these days, I'm going to officially rename my big orange jerk "This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things." It'll be on his vet records and all. Nice things I can't have where Timmy can see them: plants, decorative stuff, good furniture, food, anything at all.

I am so sorry about your plant. :(

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Is it the kind of plant that you can put it in a bowl of water and it will grow new roots and then you have 2 plants? In which case poor kitty was just trying to help.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Lola was cold yesterday so she decided to crawl inside my hoodie.

She still looks dumb a lot of the time too but at least her leg isn't so stupid-looking anymore after her accidental trim :v:

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

So, just going to leave this here.
More vicious dog attacks.
aka get your cute fix (or at least I'd like to think so!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tn6_fxAx3Q

ToastFaceKillah
Dec 25, 2010

every day could be your last
in the jungle
I finally got some good pictures of my MiL's animals.

Bear:

He is already on a diet, and we're starting out with small excercises, like making him use the stairs. He's a chow/lab mix we think, has a very chill demeanor, gets on well with my dog (who loves the fact that there's another dog around). He's around 9 years.

Princess:

She's about 12, and loves people. My cat found out about her the night they moved in, and wants nothing more than to make a catpile, but we're keeping them completely seperate. They can see each other through the catflap on the bedroom door, and that's it. I hope they eventually get along, I need catpile pictures.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

My younger brother is visiting me for two weeks, so he's at home with Bailey. I hope he's not being a dick to him because Bailey isn't going to put up with that.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

Question for ButWhatIf; what do you think about breeders of maltipoos and labradoodles and whatnot? Assuming they health test and all that good stuff.

I'm not a fan. There's plenty of work to be done on existing breeds, and since we've more or less proven that "to look pretty" is a poo poo reason for establishing a particular breed, there's just no real point. I understand the motivation behind the labradoodle, and I salute the original person involved in trying to create a hypoallergenic service dog, but since he's more or less given that up as a complete failure, I see no reason to continue. There are already lots of companion breeds (more now than ever), so why add more simply because "omg doodle-poo?" Also, I have yet to see a single breeder of any designer dog that actually health tests. Breeding for color, appearance, and overexaggerated traits got us into the mess a lot of breeds are currently in, and pretty much every small poodle mix (or pom mix, or chi mix) is bred solely for "look how cute it is."

That said, I'm going to clarify what I meant by my original post, since people seem curious. I'm straight-up against breeding dogs for heightened neophobia unless that dog is a working dog - not a performance or sport dog, but one who does an actual job for a person who owns a working farm or is a police officer or has a real requirement for protection from a dog. It is incredibly irresponsible to do so when probably ~99% of a litter will go to pet homes. It's why we have pits that are human aggressive - because someone thought "hey, this dog sure would be more awesome if it really didn't like people on its territory, let's add some mastiff genes or just select the ones that guard well." Even if you have a breed that has an original purpose of guarding, what is it guarding right now? Is Jane Suburban capable of handling that dog and keeping it from seeing Mr Mailman as a threat? Or is this another situation where we dog enthusiasts are saying to ourselves "Well no, the AVERAGE person shouldn't do that, but it's fine if WE do, because WE're educated about it."

I really don't care if people disagree, and I expect fanciers of Dobermans, Mastiffs, Kuvasz, Akitas, etc do disagree with me. That's awesome, because they're probably putting a good amount of thought into their opinion, and breeders and fanciers NEED to be putting thought into their breeding plans and practices. I just don't think I want to put ~original working purpose~ on a pedestal at the expense of that breed. If Jane Suburban can't handle that dog, and as working farms decline, so will that breed, and quite frankly, that's sad. It's either time to think about new avenues for those breeds (see: hog hunting rather than pit fighting for APBT's; treibbal or agility rather than herding for Shelties), or try to keep them static and hope that BSL doesn't come a-knockin'. Which, for Dobermans, Rottweilers, Chows, and many Molosser breeds, it already has. I would rather live in a world where Tosa Inus have a completely different desire to do another kind of work than a world where they don't exist at all.

I understand it is not that black and white - change or disappear - but decline is not only possible but probable. The Cleveland Bay horse wouldn't be listed as critically in danger of dying out by most rare breed survival groups if not for the decline of the carriage. When the need for a particular job disappears, the breed needs to repurpose itself, or it will disappear. And I also really want the need for a household guardian dog to disappear, to be honest. It'd be really really great to not ever worry that someone will break into your house, and I really really want the world to head in that direction. If it does (lol it won't), I want there to be another job for the personal protection breeds that doesn't require breeding for heightened neophobia.

This was a lot of :words: but I wasn't on the internet over the weekend to answer questions and sometimes I think about these things.

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

ButWhatIf posted:

I'm straight-up against breeding dogs for heightened neophobia unless that dog is a working dog - not a performance or sport dog, but one who does an actual job for a person who owns a working farm or is a police officer or has a real requirement for protection from a dog.

In a lot of ways, I agree with you - almost every person that is looking to get a human-aggressive or "guard" dog is doing it for the wrong reasons. I don't really feel that changing the innate drive of the dog is the solution, because there will always be lovely breeders handing out Cane Corso/Presa/Doberman puppies to any jagoff with a checkbook, but if it were possible to get more breeders on-board with controlling what kind of homes their puppies go to, then I think that would be the best possible fix.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

ButWhatIf posted:

"Well no, the AVERAGE person shouldn't do that, but it's fine if WE do, because WE're educated about it."

Well that's a lot of :words: which I'll come back to later if I have time, but just quickly on this. I've seen this kind of sentiment thrown around a bit when PI starts debating dog issues, and I just - don't understand where people are coming from. What's wrong with saying that there are some breeds/activites/ways of doing things that we, as dog nerds, might be better equipped to do than Joe Suburb?

If you're an experienced hill climber, there are some peaks you can tackle which someone who wasn't into hill climbing probably couldn't manage safely. If you're an experienced long distance runner, you can run marathons which people who jog round the block a few times a month couldn't manage. Why is it suddenly :byodame: arrogant :byodame: to suggest that there are breeds, activities and ways of doing things that might be more appropriate for an experienced dog person to handle than the ~average~ person who, as you say, just wants a nice family pet and a quiet life? Would you feel the same way if this were any other hobby?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
The real crime is how overused that loving emote is in PI and how loving annoying it is

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Levitate posted:

The real crime is how overused that loving emote is in PI and how loving annoying it is

It's a shame it's so accurate.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

Levitate posted:

Mansplaining itt

El Gar
Apr 12, 2007

Hey Trophy...

notsoape posted:

Well that's a lot of :words: which I'll come back to later if I have time, but just quickly on this. I've seen this kind of sentiment thrown around a bit when PI starts debating dog issues, and I just - don't understand where people are coming from. What's wrong with saying that there are some breeds/activites/ways of doing things that we, as dog nerds, might be better equipped to do than Joe Suburb?

If you're an experienced hill climber, there are some peaks you can tackle which someone who wasn't into hill climbing probably couldn't manage safely. If you're an experienced long distance runner, you can run marathons which people who jog round the block a few times a month couldn't manage. Why is it suddenly :byodame: arrogant :byodame: to suggest that there are breeds, activities and ways of doing things that might be more appropriate for an experienced dog person to handle than the ~average~ person who, as you say, just wants a nice family pet and a quiet life? Would you feel the same way if this were any other hobby?

Because they're just loving pets and the default state of some people here is to look at every other person on earth as inept bumbling de-facto animal abusers.

I don't go through life assuming everyone I meet couldn't run a marathon. That's kind of crazy.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

El Gar posted:

Because they're just loving pets and the default state of some people here is to look at every other person on earth as inept bumbling de-facto animal abusers.

I don't go through life assuming everyone I meet couldn't run a marathon. That's kind of crazy.

Kind of that. It's kind of really not that hard to Do A Thing with a dog. It really isn't. Yeah, there's a buttload of science behind things like behavior and training, but you don't need to know all that to be an okay pet owner. There are very few things that Some People are equipped to do that Others aren't. Anyone can get into a dog sport. Anyone can read an article about nutrition. Anyone can compete in obedience. Hell, I did 4-H, I remember how easy it was to do pretty much anything with an animal. It really doesn't require some special amount of deep and insightful study, just a modicum of looking things up.

Added to which, it's incredibly easy to fall into a trap of self-aggrandizement. Because everyone here (for the most part) is very interested in something to do with pets, we do a lot of learning about it, and the temptation to feel superior is very strong. Any time anyone posts "I can't understand why people do XYZ with their pet," it kind of comes across as "I, in my superior knowledge, am no longer able to empathize with the majority of people because they just won't learn to the extent that I have." And that's just silly. And that's why I say it's dangerous to ever have the mindset that "we" are able to do something that "most people" can't.

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

El Gar posted:

Well, hills are just loving hills, and probably physically able bodied person could go climb hills if they wanted to, but not everyone is obsessive about hill-climbing and I don't go through life assuming everyone I meet is a big nerd about hill-climbing because that would be kind of crazy.

I don't assume most people *can't* do more advanced stuff with their dogs, that would be dumb. I just assume that they probably aren't interested because statistically they are unlikely to be nerdily obsessed with dogs to the point that they have clocked up thousands of posts on internet pet forums. Most regular dog owners also do not know the names and preferred methods of every single dog behaviourist, nor do they sperg incessantly about dog food ingredients, nor do they spend literally all of their spare time and money on agility or schutzhound training or dog showing. This is because, for most people, dogs are not their main hobby and their dog's job is to be a loved family pet. It doesn't mean that they are "inept bumbling de-facto animal abusers" it just means that they have a regular relationship with their dogs.

This is pretty basic and I don't understand why people don't get it!

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

ButWhatIf posted:

Pretty much everything

I agree with all or most of everything you are saying ButWhatIf :) I've said it before in a less eloquent way.

In other news, Delta has a hygroma on her elbow. Poor beast. The vet was talking about hard surfaces and concrete, but our house is carpeted and she is most certainly allowed on the couch. That doggy is so sensitive.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
FINALLY brought cat to the vet, god he was so behind in his shots. :(

He needs his teeth cleaned, and I knew that and mom seems to be willing to do it, so thats good.

Vet tried to talk mom into science diet because it ~totally~ keeps their teeth clean and a owners say their cats love it~~~~ :geno:

This of course after he commented on how nice his skin and coat were.

Also attempting to switch him to CORE from BB. He doesn't seem thrilled by it but I think he'll eat it.

I just wish I didn't have to fight my mom over ever medical thing the cat needs, it's really weird.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

ButWhatIf posted:

Kind of that. It's kind of really not that hard to Do A Thing with a dog. It really isn't.
+more :words:

I guess I just don't see what this has to do with changing temperaments. You're right, anyone CAN get in to this stuff, so why change dogs' drives to accommodate people that can easily just pick a different breed if they don't want to do them? Also, why not just get a less drivey puppy? They really do exist in every litter.

So here's what I've seen that I was gonna mention earlier, pretty interesting and related.

With GSDs, there's a million different trends on changing temperaments. Everyone pretty much knows about showline dogs not having the drive for work, changing the breed away from the standard. But the same problem exists with sport dogs, too. People get warned about sport lines because of drivey, nervy dogs, but that's not really the standard, either, and the dogs that get easily worked up for sports would be too nervous for real work, too. The correct temperament lies in the middle, which is good for an active family. In a litter of puppies bred towards this temperament, you'll get lazier dogs and ones better for sports. Either direction, there's no need to change the temperament as a whole, but you still get breeders doing it anyway.

A good example of redirecting purpose (in my opinion) is the CsV. They were used for border patrol in former Czechoslovakia, but obviously this is a job we don't have here. Add to that the dogs have a great sense of independence, and you have a potentially dangerous situation breeding and using dogs for bitework.

So you have some options. Breed for protection and keep the temperament the same, and the dogs could be dangerous in an average home. Breed towards a more stable dog for bitework and you have a different looking GSD. My favorite option, though, and the one trending towards here in the US, is redirecting that temperament towards different work. Specifically, using them for scent related work as opposed to bitework. The dogs originally were used a lot for trailing, more so even than actual apprehension, so they excel at it. So the dog is still doing something related to its original function, but in a safer manner. :)

Just thought all that stuff was neat. v :) v

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

ButWhatIf posted:

I would rather live in a world where Tosa Inus have a completely different desire to do another kind of work than a world where they don't exist at all.

Again, I don't really care if you breed lab-tempered Dobes or Tosas or what have you - but don't kid yourself that you're preserving the breed itself. If you breed drive out of historically driven breeds (such as Tosas), then you *have* destroyed the breed, as it existed for decades/centuries/millenia or whatever. Don't dress it up as preservationist breeding; it's not. A 50 pound beagle with prick ears and a fluffy coat is no longer a beagle; an aesthetically 'typey' beagle who cannot follow scent or baroo is also no longer a beagle. You aren't ~saving the breed~ by breeding out drive, you're extinguishing it.

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

Again, I don't really care if you breed lab-tempered Dobes or Tosas or what have you - but don't kid yourself that you're preserving the breed itself. If you breed drive out of historically driven breeds (such as Tosas), then you *have* destroyed the breed, as it existed for decades/centuries/millenia or whatever. Don't dress it up as preservationist breeding; it's not. A 50 pound beagle with prick ears and a fluffy coat is no longer a beagle; an aesthetically 'typey' beagle who cannot follow scent or baroo is also no longer a beagle. You aren't ~saving the breed~ by breeding out drive, you're extinguishing it.

I see what you're getting at. I guess I don't really know what the solution is, then. I don't agree that we need household protection breeds (and to be honest, I'd rather that people didn't have dogs for that purpose at all), but I really would hate to see them vanish altogether. I'm the kind of loser who cries when I hear that the western Black Rhino is officially extinct, so this sort of thing gets to me. Maybe there isn't really a way to make my opinions mesh, but I'm getting used to that. My entire worldview is basically a contradiction in terms most of the time. ;)

On another note, I have a question for you! I saw all your horse and dog movement and structure books in the spergshelves thread, and it made me wonder: do all dogs have the double-suspension gallop, or is it just the sighthounds? Also, are the individual gaits called something different when dogs do them, or is it the standard horse gait names; walk (four individual footfalls), trot (two individual footfalls), canter/lope (three individual footfalls), and gallop (four individual footfalls)? DO dogs canter? It looks like Neige does, but her legs are so short it's hard to tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notsoape
Jul 19, 2009

WWDD?

ButWhatIf posted:

I see what you're getting at. I guess I don't really know what the solution is, then. I don't agree that we need household protection breeds (and to be honest, I'd rather that people didn't have dogs for that purpose at all), but I really would hate to see them vanish altogether. I'm the kind of loser who cries when I hear that the western Black Rhino is officially extinct, so this sort of thing gets to me. Maybe there isn't really a way to make my opinions mesh, but I'm getting used to that. My entire worldview is basically a contradiction in terms most of the time. ;)

On another note, I have a question for you! I saw all your horse and dog movement and structure books in the spergshelves thread, and it made me wonder: do all dogs have the double-suspension gallop, or is it just the sighthounds? Also, are the individual gaits called something different when dogs do them, or is it the standard horse gait names; walk (four individual footfalls), trot (two individual footfalls), canter/lope (three individual footfalls), and gallop (four individual footfalls)? DO dogs canter? It looks like Neige does, but her legs are so short it's hard to tell.

Hah, no problem :3:. The dog gaits are; walk, trot, flying trot, pace, canter, single suspension (or transverse) gallop and double suspension (or rotary) gallop. Pacing is a two beat gait where the lateral (same side) limbs move in unison. So, left fore and hind will move together, then right fore and hind. I think some horse breeds are also known for pacing - I'm thinking Icelandic ponies and tolting? In the regular trot, two feet are on the ground at all times - in the flying trot, there is a moment of suspension.

Many non-sighthounds can achieve the double suspension gallop if given the opportunity to run fast enough on levelish ground - you'll see it a lot in all kinds of breeds at lure coursing 'fun runs'. Achondroplastic breeds like corgis are a special case! They naturally gallop with two moments of suspension much of the time - it's some technical reason due to their short legs/long back. At least one author (Robert Cole) doesn't consider it the same thing as the double suspension gallop in longer legged breeds - I think he calls it the 'glide gallop' or something, but I'm away from my spergshelves right now so I can't check. I'll let you know after I get back though :)

http://vanat.cvm.umn.edu/gaits/walk.html <- a pretty cool website showing the various gaits!

• Locked thread