Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA

notsoape posted:

I think some horse breeds are also known for pacing - I'm thinking Icelandic ponies and tolting?

http://vanat.cvm.umn.edu/gaits/walk.html <- a pretty cool website showing the various gaits!

Holy poo poo dogs pace? That's insane. And yeah, Standardbreds pace, and the rack, a high-stepping gait performed by what are known as "gaited" breeds like Tennessee Walkers and American Saddlebreds, is a gait like a trot, only each foot falls separately. It's crazy looking. I'm not exactly sure where tolting would be located on the spectrum, but it's pretty cute.

That website is awesome! I'm going to watch it for hours, I can tell.

EDIT: I'm now curious if being on the right lead is as important in dog movement as it is with horses. I remember when I was about 6 years old taking riding lessons, and getting a huge lecture about how important it was to get your pony on the right lead when you ask her to canter, but hell if I can remember why now.

ButWhatIf fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

notsoape posted:

The dog gaits are; walk, trot, flying trot, pace, canter, single suspension (or transverse) gallop and double suspension (or rotary) gallop.

You forgot prance. My dog definitely prances around when she wants to make sure everyone knows how cute she is. :D

So we went hiking today and on the way back, my husband stops to point out a toad on the trail. So I come back and kneel down to check out the toad...and thus have a perfect view of the four foot black snake that is right behind my husband, clearly hunting the toad.

I started freaking out because Psyche is standing like two feet from the snake, which is the biggest I've ever seen in the wild. We have a little 'oh poo poo run awaaay' moment and luckily the snake decides we are too big to munch on.

We waited around for a while to see if he would attack the toad, but I guess he wasn't going to move with us nearby. I looked it up and apparently it could have been a Black Racer, which is fast as hell and aggressive, or a Black Rat Snake, which isn't particularly aggressive, but also kind of rare. They are most likely to be in our valley though, so I guess it could have been.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Shadow prances too.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Do Shadow's ears always flap like that? :3:

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

McDragon posted:

Do Shadow's ears always flap like that? :3:

Those ears ruined every stoic image I had of him. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
They do, and I love it. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Do you like noodles?

Ires likes noodles.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012
I've decided my male cat is a special breed of stupid. He refuses human food that cats normally like, like chicken, and instead steals crackers right out of the bag or will try to eat bread (or lick the crumbs off my plate). Also he likes rice with curry sauce. And will drink from literally any water source but his own bowl. Our cups? Fine. Foster kitty bowl? Fine. And he keeps trying to hang out in the fridge. I'm so confused by this.

Dancingthroughlife
Dec 15, 2009

Will dance for cupcakes

Arkham Angel posted:

I've decided my male cat is a special breed of stupid. He refuses human food that cats normally like, like chicken, and instead steals crackers right out of the bag or will try to eat bread (or lick the crumbs off my plate). Also he likes rice with curry sauce. And will drink from literally any water source but his own bowl. Our cups? Fine. Foster kitty bowl? Fine. And he keeps trying to hang out in the fridge. I'm so confused by this.

Don't you know water is better out of your glass? It's the same with my cats. Heaven forbid we try to drink milk around them too!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

My sister and I have each owned a cat that like starchy stuff, I don't think it's terribly uncommon. Turk would eat a whole hot dog bun if you let him, whereas Charlie would just take little nibbles off the corner of your sandwich.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Arkham Angel posted:

No this is pretty much Typical Cat.txt

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I was smoothing down a cowlick on Shadow's side where he'd been nibbling himself, and it seemed like every time I touched it he'd whip his head around and start to turn, as if it hurt. I got a little worried... until I stepped back and he stomped off in the direction he was whipping his head to chase Chaplin away from the treats I put on Shadow's bed. :downs:

Chaplin didn't even back off. He stood right there in his face, staring in fascination with this look of "HYUCK, THOSE SURE SMELL NEAT" as Shadow grabbed all the treats and hoarded them off in his mouth. That cat is a bit touched.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

notsoape posted:

Hah, no problem :3:. The dog gaits are; walk, trot, flying trot, pace, canter, single suspension (or transverse) gallop and double suspension (or rotary) gallop.
In your opinion, is pacing something a dog will do out of personal preference or whatever innocent reason, or is it an indication of an underlying musculoskeletal problem, pain or structural flaws in the dog? A lot of people I know worry if they see their dog pacing instead of trotting and the PT I took my dogs to last time also seemed to think pacing may indicate a problem. I'm a bit skeptical myself. Pi is a pacer, whereas I don't think I've seen Rho pace pretty much ever, he trots instead. Rho is better built, but he's also smaller so it's easier for him to trot along to my walking (or even jogging!) speed. Pi will switch to trotting when we bike and if he doesn't, there's usually a problem.

The Prismatic Goth
May 31, 2001

drat it cat, why do you start cleaning yourself immediately after I pet you, on the exact same spot that I touched?

Are you trying to tell me something? How very rude <:mad:>

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

You ruined his hairdo!

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
30 seconds of Healy and TyTy enjoying the summer:
http://youtu.be/D0SvcBIUKNE

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

RazorBunny posted:

My sister and I have each owned a cat that like starchy stuff, I don't think it's terribly uncommon. Turk would eat a whole hot dog bun if you let him, whereas Charlie would just take little nibbles off the corner of your sandwich.

My cat loves to eat all kinds of weird crap that cats aren't supposed to like. Like peanut butter! Or honey-nut cheerios - she loves those. I snack on them dry and I think she perceives it as some sort of human kibble. But my cat's also a bit of a fattie so she'd probably try to eat a dixie cup if I presented it to her for consumption v:shobon:v

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

One of my parents' extremely obese cats stole a pancake from me once. At entire pancake.

The next day he tried to make off with a whole container of coconut macaroons.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Riiseli posted:

30 seconds of Healy and TyTy enjoying the summer:
http://youtu.be/D0SvcBIUKNE

I am always jealous of how gorgeous your dogs are. Now add where you live to the list of things that I'm jealous about ;P hahah

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Radio! posted:

One of my parents' extremely obese cats stole a pancake from me once. At entire pancake.

Conway has a habit of stealing entire loaves of bread if we don't put them where he can't get to them. I... have no idea why. :psyduck: He doesn't like bread. I know he doesn't like it. But he'll grab the bread bag in his mouth and chuck it to the floor and happily drag it away if you let him.

One of my childhood cats, Echo (All-black cat with bright green eyes :3: He was purty) demanded a sacrifice whenever we made bacon and eggs every sunday before we fell out of the tradition. Make the bacon, make one extra piece and break it up into the food bowl, and he's happy. Deny him the sacrifice, and he will find a way to steal every single other piece before anyone else gets it. He didn't just look like a ninja cat, I'd swear he was one.

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 19, 2012

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK
When I went to pick up Quaffle at day care yesterday, there was a chihuahua...thing in the lobby. I'm hoping it was maybe a chi/pug mix, but I'm afraid it was just a really, really, REALLY fat chi. It looked like a large potato with a chihuahua head and wheezed the whole time. It was being picked up from boarding. They carried it out in a crate. No walking for potato chis, nope.

Quaffle apparently ran and played SO HARD yesterday that he is hobbling around today. His poor muscles just couldn't take it. I've been running my hands all over his legs to see if he hurt himself anywhere but he doesn't flinch at all. He just pushed himself too hard I guess. Dumb dog.

Here he is last night after coming home. I love that his pink-and-black pawpads show up here. :3:

As for eating things, Quaffle has eaten: frozen broccoli stolen off the counter, an eggshell he found on a walk, a hot dog bun he found on a walk (it is a serious effort to keep him away from "food" on walks, I'm getting better at it though), and the other day he attempted to eat a fortune from a fortune cookie that he found on the floor. Also I opened up a box of bandaids and he came running and begged for one. He thinks his heartworm pills are treats. Luckily he also thinks his own food is just as fantastic.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Aravenna posted:

When I went to pick up Quaffle at day care yesterday, there was a chihuahua...thing in the lobby. I'm hoping it was maybe a chi/pug mix, but I'm afraid it was just a really, really, REALLY fat chi. It looked like a large potato with a chihuahua head and wheezed the whole time. It was being picked up from boarding. They carried it out in a crate. No walking for potato chis, nope.

Quaffle apparently ran and played SO HARD yesterday that he is hobbling around today. His poor muscles just couldn't take it. I've been running my hands all over his legs to see if he hurt himself anywhere but he doesn't flinch at all. He just pushed himself too hard I guess. Dumb dog.

Here he is last night after coming home. I love that his pink-and-black pawpads show up here. :3:

As for eating things, Quaffle has eaten: frozen broccoli stolen off the counter, an eggshell he found on a walk, a hot dog bun he found on a walk (it is a serious effort to keep him away from "food" on walks, I'm getting better at it though), and the other day he attempted to eat a fortune from a fortune cookie that he found on the floor. Also I opened up a box of bandaids and he came running and begged for one. He thinks his heartworm pills are treats. Luckily he also thinks his own food is just as fantastic.

I've warned my younger brother that he cannot leave food on the coffee table. We came home from dinner last night and my dog had eaten like an eighth of a bag of baked bbq chips. This dog will also try to steal carrots and any veggies.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Heh, my friends cat once climbed up on the counter, somehow wrestled the upper cabinets open, and got down a loaf of sourdough bread. Which he then proceeded to eat half of in the middle of the night. Also, artichokes.

Koji on the other hand will do anything for broccoli and jicama. :iiam: You also can't ever EVER have popcorn all to your self. One of the only times he'll actually willingly crawl up into your lap.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

As a puppy, the dog I grew up with used to lick the sidewalk.

It's taken weeks of eating apples while holding my Budgie, and she FINALLY had a taste today. Baby steps, baby steps.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The one food item that Orbit has ever stolen from my hand/ plate is orange segments. He looooooooooves oranges more than any other food in the world, it's so weird.

We also took him to the vet for his yearly checkup and he had a super super faint positive for a non-lymes tick disease so he's on antibiotics as a precaution, AND he has worms, despite giving him a heartworm+ chew every month. Poor wormy dog. The good thing is that he hasn't had any symptoms whatsoever for anything, is still acting totally normal, and thinks his medicine is awesome because it means he gets peanut butter too, so I guess it could be worse.

Nerdmann
Sep 21, 2007

Kiri koli posted:

I started freaking out because Psyche is standing like two feet from the snake, which is the biggest I've ever seen in the wild. We have a little 'oh poo poo run awaaay' moment and luckily the snake decides we are too big to munch on.

We waited around for a while to see if he would attack the toad, but I guess he wasn't going to move with us nearby. I looked it up and apparently it could have been a Black Racer, which is fast as hell and aggressive, or a Black Rat Snake, which isn't particularly aggressive, but also kind of rare. They are most likely to be in our valley though, so I guess it could have been.

Yeah, Racers can be dicks and since they get up to 6 foot and are super common around here (SW VA) it's been something I watch out for. Last time i saw one Riley tried to sniff its head and had I not had hold of her leash and pulled she would have probably been bitten in the face as many racers don't give a lot of warning. Painful as hell bite too as I unfortunately would know. No fear for my stupid dog. Rat snakes are awesome though and generally are quite chill.

Oh and on the food thing my friend's field bred lab will literally pass over hot dogs for carrots and broccoli. Stir fry nights are his favorite thing ever.

Nerdmann fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jun 19, 2012

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Nerdmann posted:

Oh and on the food thing my friend's field bred lab will literally pass over hot dogs for carrots and broccoli. Stir fry nights are his favorite thing ever.

Broccoli pops/frozen broccoli. They're better than ice cream to every single dog here.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
My mentor once caught her dog up on the counter eating a bowl of bananas.

The only "human" food Shadow will eat is normal things like chicken, turkey, hotdogs, etc... sometimes bread. He's so picky. It's nice not having to worry about him eating strange food off the ground, though. I had to get used to actually watching out for food on the ground when walking my mentor's dogs. One of the little fucks scooped up a chicken bone I didn't see, but luckily I got it out before he could swallow it. :argh:

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

Dancingthroughlife posted:

Don't you know water is better out of your glass? It's the same with my cats. Heaven forbid we try to drink milk around them too!

Ash steals almond milk (not even regular milk!) from cereal bowls. If you put the bowl in the sink and don't dump everything he will be all over that poo poo. He's examined our coffees before but has decided it's not his thing. And he has knocked over our bananas before and possibly attempted to eat them, ruining my chances of having delicious banana bread.

It's less that he eats these things and more that he eats these things but won't eat real meat.

We've also been pilling our fosters using canned cat food and every time, he comes running and acts like it's The Worst Thing that he's not getting any. And he likes exactly one brand of cat treats that we've tried, but again, you pull them out and he's like 'EAT ALL THE TREATS'. I tried giving one to our girl cat, who was confused by it, and he walks up and goes 'let me show you how it's done' and eats it.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
We actually use frozen veggie bits for training treats w/our dogs. When Tonka was at our instructors house for a lesson, Erica had chopped green beans in the treat pouch and Pam had chopped hot dogs. Tonka went equally ape-poo poo for both options; all the dogs do. It's so :3:

And she has been happily accepted in to her new home for a couple of days now. Her owner, Joe has reported that she is the snuggliest dog he has ever met and is a million times more well-trained than he expected. Now he just needs to get her further down the road for her CGC and she can come to work with him every single day and run around fields/hiking trails with a ton of children!

Here is a horrible cell phone pic of their first meeting:

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Apidae" p0ost="404780959 posted:

As a puppy, the dog I grew up with used to lick the sidewalk.

As a puppy, Monty used to try to eat the bigger rock bits inside the side walk. It was sad watching him try.

Abby has some crazy fascination with candy. She has always been good about not begging, but if you have a lollipop? She will be knocking you over trying to get to it.

And yayyy Tonka! :) Even though that pic is a horrible cell phone pic, I love it. Such a cute moment.

Azrael Alexander
Jun 24, 2011

No one ever asks if Bender would like to live in a tiny little house. Not that I would. A tiny little house that says "Bender" on it.

Radio! posted:

We once had a cat who would steal entire bags of potato chips, drag them off, and growl menacingly at anyone who tried to take them away. It took two people + gloves to get his potato chips away from him. :catstare: We have no idea how he developed such a ravenous lust for potato chips, as he was hand-reared and never ate any people food besides the occasional bit of lunchmeat or cheese. He even had chicken as a part of his daily meals. But for whatever reason, of you had potato chips, watch out.

Also our old husky/shepherd Kaya used to lick things. Walls, floors, a broom - she would just lick them, for 10+ minutes sometimes. She would turn her nose up at anything that wasn't dry kibble or meat - anything else was a no go.

Our current pets don't really have any weird eating habits, but Bella will eat anything. I think it has to do with being starved as a puppy and probably having to scrounge through the house for things to eat (her first owners sucked) but you have to be really careful about where and what you throw away, because she'll eat it. It doesn't even have to be food - napkins, tea bags, food wrappers - as log as it was vaguely associated with food at some point, she'll eat it. We also had to rush her to the e-vet once because she ate roughly half of a full 28lb bag of Chicken Soup. She later repeated this with cat food, and since then we've started locking the cupboard so she can't weasel her way in there and eat herself to death (putting a heavy chair in front didn't work).

Aravenna
Jun 9, 2002

DOOK

Azrael Alexander posted:

Our current pets don't really have any weird eating habits, but Bella will eat anything. I think it has to do with being starved as a puppy and probably having to scrounge through the house for things to eat (her first owners sucked)

Actually, that's something I didn't really think about. Quaffle was a stray before we adopted him from a rescue, so that would probably explain the desperate lunging at hot dog buns/egg shells/clay rocks (oooookay) while we're out on walks.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

cryingscarf posted:

Abby has some crazy fascination with candy. She has always been good about not begging, but if you have a lollipop? She will be knocking you over trying to get to it.

Lola is pretty good about not snatching things off the floor except for chewing gum. If I get the bus I have to keep her attention with constant tricks and rewards for them or I have to pick her up. If not, she will be lunging for the nearest spot of old gross gum.

I just saw the guy who lives near me and has a hyper as poo poo, untrained staffie. Once again it tried to pounce on Lola and once again I had my usual exchange with the guy. I don't know how to explain to him that I don't care if HE doesn't care if my dog bites his - because I don't want her practicing that behaviour. It's very frustrating.

At least it gets Lola used to being grabbed and fed handfuls of treats for dog in the face I guess

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Strange things dogs eat, you say? Feldman will eat anything he can. These days, he doesn't eat rocks anymore, which is nice. But the Greatest Things are flowers and leaves, apparently. The vet who did his neutering brought out a bag of his vomit(apparently it's common for dogs to puke from the drugs?) to show us something weird. There was a whole, undigested leaf in it.

He's a fiend for food. Snarfs his kibble down like he's starving to death. But he takes his medication without a fuss. The pain meds he's on are very bitter, but a little almond butter on them makes him eat them like The Best Treat Ever.

:tipshat: my dog is a weirdo.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

ButWhatIf posted:

EDIT: I'm now curious if being on the right lead is as important in dog movement as it is with horses. I remember when I was about 6 years old taking riding lessons, and getting a huge lecture about how important it was to get your pony on the right lead when you ask her to canter, but hell if I can remember why now.
It is. Being on the right lead and lead changes come up a lot in agility.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

Bash Ironfist posted:

Strange things dogs eat, you say? Feldman will eat anything he can.
:tipshat: my dog is a weirdo.

It should be illegal to bring Feldman into any Strange-poo poo-my-dog-will-eat contest. Does he still have giardia (or whatever the parasite du jour is)?

On that subject: Ellie managed to eat a bar and a half of this.

Ended up calling the vet at home; sat up with her until 2 am. If I'm going to clean up vomit at 1 am, it should at least smell like chocolate.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Rixatrix posted:

It is. Being on the right lead and lead changes come up a lot in agility.

I've never really been told about lead changes in agility, but I heard someone mention it at a recent fun match. Mind giving a brief crash course about it, and training for agility?

Also, Cohen earned her ADC - that's her starter agility title. I'm very proud!

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

All Sheila does is eat dirt and crumbs off the floor.

Two of 3 now-deceased cats, however....

Clawdia, our Siamese liked butter. Straight-up butter. It HAD to go into the cabinet, or you'd come back and find big tongue marks on it.

And then there was Tama. Tama was a fruit freak. Leave an apple or pear out? You'll come back to find bits missing. Sitting there, actually eating an apple or pear? Tama would come up and start eating off the other side.

She'd also get on the table and steal milk from cereal bowls. And she loved ice cream - you'd be sitting there on the couch, and she'd sit down and look at you expectantly. Vanilla and peppermint ice cream were her favorites. I gave her coconut ice cream once, and she gagged at me.

She once went ballistic and attacked my mom because she wouldn't give her the pork rinds.

I miss that cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

AcetylCoA! posted:

It should be illegal to bring Feldman into any Strange-poo poo-my-dog-will-eat contest. Does he still have giardia (or whatever the parasite du jour is)?

On that subject: Ellie managed to eat a bar and a half of this.

Ended up calling the vet at home; sat up with her until 2 am. If I'm going to clean up vomit at 1 am, it should at least smell like chocolate.

As far as I know, yeah. Last vet visit the vet said it was 'minimal' as in, just a few cysts left. She said it was something some pumpkin can take care of, so who even knows right now.

Also I forgot to add dust bunnies. You know, those little balls of dust? If we don't vacuum for a few days, he'll eat them. My dog is a winner. :tipshat:

Also, sorry to hear about that :( I hope Ellie is doing okay?

• Locked thread