Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I love that video. I came across it the other day through the Geeks Are Sexy blog, but didn't get around to posting it. If you've got an hour-and-a-half to kill, this is a great way to do it.

E: I buried it

CuddleChunks posted:

Hahahh that's awesome.

I love watching voice actors at work. Here's a big bunch of them reading the Star Wars screenplay in different character voices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC6Ds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

CuddleChunks posted:

I love watching voice actors at work. Here's a big bunch of them reading the Star Wars screenplay in different character voices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBzRmWeC6Ds
This was great, and Maurice LaMarche continues to be my favorite. Wish he was asked to do more of The Brain, but his Vincent Price was great too.

Rob Paulsen's Pinky is still perfectly spot on.

Tara Strong is.....getting too much work.

I've been pretty busy lately and haven't had time to critique stuff. I'm gone all weekend for an acting thing (ughh), but if anyone would like to record something (or quote a previous recording to review), I should be able to listen & give specialized advice starting Monday/Tuesday.

EDIT: vvvv Thanks. Just got back from the first day of shooting. It was okay.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jun 20, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

This was great, and Maurice LaMarche continues to be my favorite. Wish he was asked to do more of The Brain, but his Vincent Price was great too.

He also delivered what I think was the best Shatner I've ever seen, he even had the faces down.

E: break a leg!

e2: I am always eager for feedback, no matter what the tone of it. This was the reading for the gumby thing:

And this was a selection from the OP read in a very bad accent:

Any critiquing would really be appreciated!

titties fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jun 9, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

titties posted:

e2: I am always eager for feedback, no matter what the tone of it. This was the reading for the gumby thing:

Any critiquing would really be appreciated!
Very solid technical quality: you're at the right distance from the mic, no popping, no background noise.

On this recording specifically: the more you read it, your emotions and output get stronger and more refined the later it goes on. The beginning feels weaker, and I'd peg the reason as not having a solid idea/emotion of how you want to sound, and then as a result, not really knowing how to finish the sentence. This happens to me as well, but for slightly different reasons (my throat's not warmed up and I haven't developed a feel for how I want the final script to sound without doing the whole thing over and over again until I groove into a solid vibe). What I usually end up doing is scrapping the entire first half of my recording, and re-recording it. If it sounds disjointed, I scrap everything and do the whole thing over again. And maybe again. However many times it takes. It's best to think of it as, "well, sure, I just scrapped 30 minutes of work, but it's always going to sound 100% better on the next take." It's annoying, time-consuming, and can get frusterating, but if the project really matters and is important to you, it's soooo worth it to do a few more re-recordings until your voice finally feels/sounds right for the script.

I remember a previous comment you made about how your voice feels thinner when it's gametime. This happened to me when I first started, and while it mostly got hammered out while doing 8-billion radio commercials back in the day, it still sometimes hits me if I have to go into someone else's studio to record. All I can promise is that it gets better and goes away on it's own with time, practice, and comfort level.

titties posted:

And this was a selection from the OP read in a very bad accent:

This made me laugh pretty hard. Should get a script together and have everyone in the thread record it in their best "Watto" from Star Wars impersonation.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

The Joe Man posted:

This made me laugh pretty hard. Should get a script together and have everyone in the thread record it in their best "Watto" from Star Wars impersonation.
:v:
http://notmyshoes.net/monologues/treplev.html or http://www.filmsite.org/bestspeeches3.html Ahahah any of those would be horrifying with the Watto voice.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
Does anyone know any other USB mic which is cheaper than Yeti, but still good?

titties
May 10, 2012

When I was shopping around for a mic I got a lot of recommendations for the Blue Snowball, which can be had anywhere from $30 - $70 cheaper than the Yeti.

It's also a lot smaller. The Yeti + shock mount is too heavy for the boom I've got it on, so the legs of the stand need to be very carefully positioned or have ankle weights draped over them.

I don't have a Snowball so I can't give a direct comparison of their performance, but I know that King Lou has used one in his home recording space and he always sounds fantastic.

titties fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 18, 2012

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I used my Snowball to record the latest episode of Lou Reads in my office at work with the door open.

http://loureads.com/2012/06/18/lou-reads-about-men-who-love-dolls-and-the-dolls-that-lay-there/

recorded with Audacity and finished in Garage Band. I've been having crazy technical problems over the last few episodes but if you want simple and reliable the Snowball is a killer deal.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!

King Lou posted:

I used my Snowball to record the latest episode of Lou Reads in my office at work with the door open.

http://loureads.com/2012/06/18/lou-reads-about-men-who-love-dolls-and-the-dolls-that-lay-there/

recorded with Audacity and finished in Garage Band. I've been having crazy technical problems over the last few episodes but if you want simple and reliable the Snowball is a killer deal.

...That episode was hilarious :). And the recording was pretty good, so i'll see what deals i can get on that Snowball mic!

titties
May 10, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

Very solid technical quality: you're at the right distance from the mic, no popping, no background noise.

On this recording specifically: the more you read it, your emotions and output get stronger and more refined the later it goes on. The beginning feels weaker, and I'd peg the reason as not having a solid idea/emotion of how you want to sound, and then as a result, not really knowing how to finish the sentence. This happens to me as well, but for slightly different reasons (my throat's not warmed up and I haven't developed a feel for how I want the final script to sound without doing the whole thing over and over again until I groove into a solid vibe). What I usually end up doing is scrapping the entire first half of my recording, and re-recording it. If it sounds disjointed, I scrap everything and do the whole thing over again. And maybe again. However many times it takes. It's best to think of it as, "well, sure, I just scrapped 30 minutes of work, but it's always going to sound 100% better on the next take." It's annoying, time-consuming, and can get frusterating, but if the project really matters and is important to you, it's soooo worth it to do a few more re-recordings until your voice finally feels/sounds right for the script.

I remember a previous comment you made about how your voice feels thinner when it's gametime. This happened to me when I first started, and while it mostly got hammered out while doing 8-billion radio commercials back in the day, it still sometimes hits me if I have to go into someone else's studio to record. All I can promise is that it gets better and goes away on it's own with time, practice, and comfort level.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and offer up your opinions / advice. It's nice to hear that the quality of the my recordings is getting better since I'm still really new to using Audacity (and haven't been reading very much at all).

As far as your comments on the read itself, what you're describing sounds a lot like what I already do. I worked on that recording for about 3 hours, if I remember correctly. I think a lot of what you're hearing is due to the fact that I have never acted, and I'm still very green at the whole "uttering a few words into a phallic metal tube" thing too.

I really appreciate the encouraging words. It's gratifying to think that what little practice I'm putting in is not just wasted time!

E: The Watto thing sounds fun, I am willing :downs:

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Did a live-streamed Let's Read of the classic terrible fantasy story "The Eye of Argon". It was pre-recorded, but since it was going to be streamed I did minimal editing because the spontaneity is what makes the streams fun (I ended up losing it completely about halfway through). I also did a way over-dramatic reading of the also-terrible poem "The Tay Bridge Disaster" by William McGonagall near the end.

http://www.ustream.tv/embed/recorded/23300130

e: It starts off in my normal voice and gradually devolves into a Brad-Neely-doing-Wizard-People-Dear-Reader voice.

Tim Burns Effect fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jun 19, 2012

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
I need some advice on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA5gMRb5dQs

The voice, the recording, do they sound good? I know it's a monster voice, but I did all of the recording from home because the game company I'm doing this for is stationed in Quebec.

Using a Presonus audiobox and a ST51 condenser mic.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Fiction D posted:

I need some advice on this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FA5gMRb5dQs

The voice, the recording, do they sound good? I know it's a monster voice, but I did all of the recording from home because the game company I'm doing this for is stationed in Quebec.

Using a Presonus audiobox and a ST51 condenser mic.

Gave it another listen. Sounds pretty good! You were able to deliver appropriate emphasis on most words even though were doing an unnatural voice. If you want nitpicking, I would've put more anger on "but NO MORE!" and stronger finality on "This ends...TODAY!" Also a stronger "RAH RAH"-type buildup on the final line, "We will be STRONG! We will PREVAIL! WE. WILL!..."

Technical quality comes across as solid, and if there's any problems, I can't hear them because the bass in the musicbed washes over them.

Overall, it's definitely airable.

Fiction D
Jun 14, 2010

eh
Thank you! I'm trying to branch out and see if there's anything in the Philadelphia area. I have no idea how to advertise voice acting on a resume. The pitches I can hit? Impressions? What's the best way to market a voice talent that's just starting out?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Fiction D posted:

Thank you! I'm trying to branch out and see if there's anything in the Philadelphia area. I have no idea how to advertise voice acting on a resume. The pitches I can hit? Impressions? What's the best way to market a voice talent that's just starting out?
99% chance that a job won't come to you even if you have a professional website, resume, etc...I wouldn't put freelance VA work on a resume anyways unless I was actively applying for a long-term audio production job.

You're gonna have to pound the virtual pavement and look for odd voice jobs in every major US city you can find (Craigslist). Also check out local acting lists in the Philadelphia area and maybe some audio work will slip through there.

Prepare to do a shitload of spec recordings for free and not get a response from the person wanting to hire. It sucks, but you should get one eventually (or at least a reply). Make sure to link that Youtube clip in the initial email if it's appropriate for the job.

Fiction D posted:

The pitches I can hit? Impressions? What's the best way to market a voice talent that's just starting out?
No, that's meaningless to mostly everyone. If possible, link to actual professional work that you've recorded (like the Trog clip). This is where having a completed general voice demo comes in handy.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 19, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Oh hey look what I just found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frGExg98n0Y

This is the one I wanted to go full-on Skeletor for but was told to tone it down.

Eh.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Pretty excited about this - I recently did a very fun job for a game company, doing all the noises and reactions for their new Zombie game. I was given the character sketches and descriptions, and I had to come up with the following noises for each zombie:

-Spawn
-Path begin
-Path end
-Pause (confused/disoriented)
-Eating brains
-Getting shot
-Dying

And the following for each human:

-Alert (notice zombie)
-Reloading
-Reloaded
-Zombie Kill (celebrate)
-Getting eaten

I did 6 zombies and 7 humans, and they seemed to really love the results. None of the noises could be actual words, because it will be released in multiple countries in different languages and they didn't want to re-do the VO each time. It was a fun challenge! I just played the game and it's a fun little game, pretty cool! I don't think the humans getting killed noises are in there, not sure why. I guess they thought it was a bit too much?

I have done videogame VO before, but this was unique because of the number of characters and the fact that it was really more noises than voices.

Anyhow, if you have an Android phone or tablet, you can get it for free here:

http://tinyurl.com/potz-download

EDIT: there is a little cutscene at the beginning, I had no part in that, I think that one of their internal guys did that.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 21, 2012

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Apologies if this isn't the right place to ask, but I'm looking to get a dedicated microphone for use recording commentary while playing games/voices for self-made games/conversing via skype/mumble/etc. I'm mainly looking for something I can set up at my computer that will hopefully not pick up the sounds of my keyboard and won't suffer electromagnetic interference like my current crappy webcam mic does (picks up the seek signal of any mobile phone within about 100metres it seems). I have a decent sound card with a inbuilt pre-amp for the mic input (Azuntech X-Fi Forte 7.1). I'd be using a boom stand to position the microphone to keep it from blocking the screen. I don't mind paying a bit extra for a microphone that is going to last, my main concern is ensuring that I get a clear recording of my voice with minimal popping and background noise.

The local music store has a few microphones on offer - an iSK DM-57 for about $70AU, Shure SM58 for about $130AU or a Shure Beta 58A (used) for about $140AU.

These three microphones are directional and suited for vocals from what I've read, but the guy at the store mentioned that the Beta 58A had a relatively short pickup range which would require the microphone to be positioned very close to my mouth which may not be that convenient while trying to use the computer at the same time. Is it something I should really be worried about? Would it be a waste going with anything other than the DM-57?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
SM-57 and a pop filter.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

invision posted:

SM-57 and a pop filter.
Yeah, go with this. Hardware's not really my specialty but from prior experience, you should get a nice clean sound with minimal background noise pick-up.

hairysammoth
Jun 2, 2004

I am the Naked King of Shoreditch, AND I AM NOT AFRAID!
//edit: Cave Johnson, we're done here.

Alright folks! It's not strictly VO work, but it's not a million miles away either - I've got a £250 gig going on at the SA-Mart here. It's unusual as it's going to be done live. I wasn't sure if this should go here or in Work for hire thread - that seemed more graphic design/writing though, and this seems more like acting. Lemme know if I'm wrong...

hairysammoth fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 7, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

hairysammoth posted:

Alright folks! It's not strictly VO work, but it's not a million miles away either - I've got a £250 gig going on at the SA-Mart here. It's unusual as it's going to be done live. I wasn't sure if this should go here or in Work for hire thread - that seemed more graphic design/writing though, and this seems more like acting. Lemme know if I'm wrong...
This is awesome (much like your last job posted), and I would've jumped on it if I had boobs. Looks like you've already found someone through SA-Mart, but please don't feel hesitant to pop back in the thread again if you have more fun stuff planned.

Thanks for the offer!

Ishamael posted:

Zombie Game
This looks fun, but seeing as how I don't have a cellphone past 1995, I unfortunately can't check it out. Thanks for sharing though! Character/odd voices are always fun to do.

Looks like I'll be helping out on a project for the SA GameDev Challenge, and I'm waiting on word for a larger RPG release coming up. Otherwise, does anyone else feel that summer's kind've a deadzone? Not much work to go around.

Sarcastic_MrFox
May 22, 2006

Not too fantastic but oh so sarcastic.
Hi all.

I'm currently producing a 3D animated short film based off a goon written script and am in need of three really short lines read out. basically its a scene where a character flicks TV channels over to different news shows, each one saying something a bit different.

Below are the three lines I am in need of.

"Where thousands gathered to mourn the
billions lost."

"The sudden, inexplicable appearance
of the airborne M-Virus."

"Remember that a gas mask at all times is
essential when not in an air-locked
home."

I'm not really able to pay for these but if you can do a cool newsreader type voice I'll definitely shove your name into the credits for the film. Which will hopefully be going around some film festivals when its complete.

Obviously I'm hoping to get 3 different voices for each of the lines as they are supposedly different news readers but if you can put on two or three voices you're a champion :v: I have no real preference of gender or accent.

But yeah if you want to do a reading go for it and you can PM me about it or just post it if that's cool here.

Edit: The Joe Man has provided us with a few readings, we'll be using his voice for the second line and possibly the first if no one else wants to step up. So thanks to him for that and if anyone else could do some for us that would still be awesome. :D

Edit Edit: Stinkmeister has provided us the final two readings required for our film so we no longer NEED people to do this but I'll just leave this here in case anyone just wants to read the lines for quick practise or something.

Thanks everyone!

Sarcastic_MrFox fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 8, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

:dance: Can't wait to give these a try!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sarcastic_MrFox posted:

Hi all.

I'm currently producing a 3D animated short film based off a goon written script and am in need of three really short lines read out. basically its a scene where a character flicks TV channels over to different news shows, each one saying something a bit different.

billions lost."

home."

I'm not really able to pay for these but if you can do a cool newsreader type voice I'll definitely shove your name into the credits for the film. Which will hopefully be going around some film festivals when its complete.

Obviously I'm hoping to get 3 different voices for each of the lines as they are supposedly different news readers but if you can put on two or three voices you're a champion :v: I have no real preference of gender or accent.

But yeah if you want to do a reading go for it and you can PM me about it or just post it if that's cool here.

Take whatever you want out of these:

If it hops on IMDB (after festival eligibility), linking it to my profile would be appreciated: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4104438/

Sarcastic_MrFox
May 22, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Take whatever you want out of these:

If it hops on IMDB (after festival eligibility), linking it to my profile would be appreciated: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm4104438/

Thanks for that! I've made note of your imdb and I'll be sure to include that when/if it happens!

ChaosTheory
Oct 1, 2003

Pillbug
I just wanted to mention that the dude I did the reading for never got back to me. No hard feelings, but did you end up using it? Are you still there DaveP?

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Sarcastic_MrFox posted:

billions lost."

home."

Here's some:

Let me know if you use any of it! Good luck!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Stinkmeister posted:

Here's some:

You have a much better "newscaster voice" than I do. These are great; good job!

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Fun job opportunity for an upcoming RPG:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/malevolence-the-sword-of-ahkranox/news/raise-your-voice

Sarcastic_MrFox
May 22, 2006

Stinkmeister posted:

Here's some:

These are awesome and we're going to use yours for the first and third lines. Thanks so much, really appreciate it.

If you'd like your details in the credits you can PM me them or email me at Tommy_fox(at)live.com.au or if you have an IMDB like The Joe Man I can just pull the details from there.

Thanks again guys you've been a huge help :D

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Too late to the part but maybe some feedback will come my way:

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Sarcastic_MrFox posted:

Here are two separate takes for the three lines.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...
I gave this one a shot, in two flavours!

Regular:

More Dramatic:

Stinkmeister
Sep 20, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Jumped on this. Here are a couple that I submitted. Feedback is welcome of course:

The Joe Man posted:

You have a much better "newscaster voice" than I do. These are great; good job!

Thanks! I've been practicing, and that means a lot!

Stinkmeister fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 10, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Too late to the part but maybe some feedback will come my way:

These are excellent and I have zero advice for improvement. Great job.

CuddleChunks posted:

Here are two separate takes for the three lines.
First two normal lines are missing some emphasis. Third normal line is better, but needs empasis on "essential" and I would artifically cut out your breath in the middle.

First two accented lines are good, and the emphasis is on the right places. Third accented line is still lacking emphasis.

Advice for next time would be to listen to your accented lines where you applied the correct emphasis, and try to match it in your normal voice.

Maide posted:

I gave this one a shot, in two flavours!

Regular:

More Dramatic:

DJ Voice TO THE MAX!!! Dude is way too pumped for those billions lost. Sounds fakey. For the next thing that pops up, try recording in your normal voice and we'll try to patch up any actual cracks that arise.

Stinkmeister posted:

Jumped on this. Here are a couple that I submitted. Feedback is welcome of course:

1. I think it'd sound better if you talked a little faster. Right now, it kinda drones. That might be what you were going for (Low class citizen) but just think of hearing it in a game over & over again. I recommend short & sweet.

2. Better, but still, go a little faster (line 1 & 3; 2 is fine).

3. Getting better! I'm started to see that speed is the main issue here. It'd sound fine if slightly faster. Getting some background mic static. Good death sound!

4. Speed it up, check your poppin' p's and you're golden.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 14, 2012

SynMoo
Dec 4, 2006

One of you gentleman did an awesome GBS thread I believe maybe a year or so ago, just doing VO of whatever random junk people posted for you. I'm trying to find the thread and hopefully the bits that were done for me. Anyone by chance have a link to the thread? It's probably in the archives.

Edit: Found it! It was Research Indicates. Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3359762

SynMoo fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 18, 2012

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

SynMoo posted:

One of you gentleman did an awesome GBS thread I believe maybe a year or so ago, just doing VO of whatever random junk people posted for you. I'm trying to find the thread and hopefully the bits that were done for me. Anyone by chance have a link to the thread? It's probably in the archives.

Edit: Found it! It was Research Indicates. Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3359762

Wonder what happened to that dude. Maybe he's gotten better by now.

Any news from anyone? I'll be available to do critiques this coming week if anyone would like to share their recent stuff.

Never thought I'd say this but I actually miss GBS.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

The Joe Man posted:

Wonder what happened to that dude. Maybe he's gotten better by now.

Any news from anyone? I'll be available to do critiques this coming week if anyone would like to share their recent stuff.

Never thought I'd say this but I actually miss GBS.

My news: commercial demo raaaaarrrrrrraRRRRGGGGHHH

Edit: Okay, here's some stuff I'm working on for my commercial demo. I pretty much scrapped everything I'd had and started over when I realized what I was doing wasn't what I should be doing. The big thing was that I was making my commercial demo more of a radio commercial demo, with all of the spots being more like what you'd hear on the radio, rather than what most demos seem to be, which is TV commercial spots. I figured this out by going to voicebank.net (has that been mentioned in here yet?) and just listening to a bunch of commercial demos from the best agencies on that list. Armed with a better knowledge of what I should be doing and what it should sound like, I started over and I'm much more satisfied with the results now. Here's what I have so far:

Dove: http://www.listentomelanie.com/dove08032012.wav

New Balance: http://www.listentomelanie.com/newbalance08022012.wav

Old Navy: http://www.listentomelanie.com/oldnavy08022012.wav

Swiffer: http://www.listentomelanie.com/swiffer08022012.wav

I would like feedback, if there's anything that really needs to be corrected/improved, but do keep in mind when relaying it that I am something of a perfectionist and often, to my detriment, end up obsessing over perfecting things that are already fine the way they are. So yeah, basically, just be honest--if it really needs to be corrected, I want to know, and if it's fine the way it is, I want to know that, too.

I also have potential spots for Cheerios, Target, Apple and Eve and ING Direct left to record. Biggest issue with those, honestly, is background music. Anyone have any good resources for FREE royalty-free music that is as good or better than Kevin Macleod's? I've recently grudgingly admitted to myself that as much as I love his music I can't use it for EVERYTHING.

Edit 2: One more for ING Direct: http://listentomelanie.com/ingdirect08022012.wav

blinkeve1826 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 7, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Bumping this because I tacked on those bits for my demo as an edit and I'm not sure if anyone saw them, and hell, this thread can obviously use a bump here from time to time...