Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Mr Executive posted:

Sure, it doesn't get the temp in 3 seconds, but it probably only takes around 5 or 6 seconds.

Have you actually timed it? Inexpensive digital cooking thermometers often take 10 seconds or more to get a proper stable reading. After years of using crappy thermometers and avoiding them as much as possible, the Thermapen was just loving amazing by comparison. I consider it one of my best kitchen equipment purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarr
Oct 20, 2008

Bob_McBob posted:

Have you actually timed it? Inexpensive digital cooking thermometers often take 10 seconds or more to get a proper stable reading. After years of using crappy thermometers and avoiding them as much as possible, the Thermapen was just loving amazing by comparison. I consider it one of my best kitchen equipment purchases.

If you want to get really spergy about it here is a video with the Thermapen compared to a whole heap of others, admittedly created by the manufacturer but using proper equipment and methods. Shows the thermapen getting to the correct temp quicker than any other, many of which don't reach the correct temp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_tpfyFitDY

:spergin:

Any UK goons who can recommend me a set of measuring spoons (teaspoon etc and cups) that will last and not break the bank.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
The thermapen is one of those things that seems really ridiculous until you use it and then realize that it really is as good as they claim. It doesn't seem like it would be but once you have it it just is pretty impressive.

That said they are kinda pricey and I got mine as a gift so whatever. Its not like some kinda slight against you if you don't want to throw down the 100 bucks for one.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

FishBulb posted:

The thermapen is one of those things that seems really ridiculous until you use it and then realize that it really is as good as they claim. It doesn't seem like it would be but once you have it it just is pretty impressive.

Yeah, mine has seen daily use since I bought it some 5-6 years ago. A hundred bucks might seem like a lot, but when you cook a lot of fish and pork having it come out perfect every single time makes it quite worthwhile. I am sure some skilled people can just tell when e.g. salmon hits the right temp, but being the barbarian that I am, it is nice to have the Thermapen...

Luegene Cards
Oct 25, 2004
Anyone got a solid recommendation on a $50-$100 blender? I need something to get hot sauce super-smoooth, and my food processor ain't cutting it. Thanks!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I could never trust another termometer after using a thermopen. literally I just threw every other one I had out, except one mercury powered candy thermometer, which I still don't actually ever use.

my splashless is only a couple years old, cracked in a few parts of the case, melted in a few others, but it's still working strong, and I run it under the faucet when needed. don't know what I'd do without it.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Is a thermapen useful for deep frying? I haven't found a fry thermometer worth a poo poo, so the last couple times I've just guessed it and hoped for the best.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is a thermapen useful for deep frying? I haven't found a fry thermometer worth a poo poo, so the last couple times I've just guessed it and hoped for the best.

yeah

I don't really reach for a thermometer that much when cooking meat, so frying is also maybe 75% of what I use mine for. it's super nice in that it'll go from 75 deg to 375 in like 5 seconds. it's great for reading the quick temperature drops that happen right after you throw some stuff in the fryer - it's helped me understand what exactly is going on and how to fry better in general.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Luegene Cards posted:

Anyone got a solid recommendation on a $50-$100 blender? I need something to get hot sauce super-smoooth, and my food processor ain't cutting it. Thanks!

Several people have said good things about the Ninja blender.

The KitchenAid blenders also get good reviews.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Luegene Cards posted:

Is it a stick blender you're looking for?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

DontAskKant posted:

Who knows about portable home grade induction burners? My new apartment in Korea doesn't have a stove or any sort of cooking device and (having cooked for myself for 8 years and spending 3 of those in professional kitchens) I need to be able to cook.

What can't they do? At this point they are almost indistinguishable from magic.

If the burner surface area is smaller than the pot, is that a problem?

What do I need to know about them before I make the plunge?

I just picked up a Fagor portable induction burner from Marshalls for $100 on a whim. I'll post about it after I've used it a few times.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
So this looks pretty neat: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen

Basically a competitor at the $300 immersion circulator level for casual use. Personally I'm a big fan of the size since I don't want another toaster-oven sized device and I've got a cooler circulator for big stuff.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Fatal posted:

So this looks pretty neat: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nomiku/nomiku-bring-sous-vide-into-your-kitchen

Basically a competitor at the $300 immersion circulator level for casual use. Personally I'm a big fan of the size since I don't want another toaster-oven sized device and I've got a cooler circulator for big stuff.

I really like the size of this, it is tempting me to make my first kickstarter pledge.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

taqueso posted:

I really like the size of this, it is tempting me to make my first kickstarter pledge.

Seeing as so far I've funded a bear coat and 2 video games I could see myself funding something actually useful for once.

Edit: What the hell, I did it.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 19, 2012

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Does the Nomiku have any advantages over a SousVide Supreme Demi? Beyond the size advantage.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

.Z. posted:

Does the Nomiku have any advantages over a SousVide Supreme Demi? Beyond the size advantage.

It actually circulates the water, the demi just relies on convection to move the water around which should create pretty good results seeing as it's small, but will still result in hot spots.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Neat device idea, but none of their food pictures are great. Underseared steak, short ribs overdone (for sous vide).

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Fatal posted:

It actually circulates the water, the demi just relies on convection to move the water around which should create pretty good results seeing as it's small, but will still result in hot spots.

It kind of depends on how spergy your definition of "hot spot" is. I've seen people mention 0.5°F differences around the water bath, which is pretty insignificant. The convection system also means the SVS is completely silent, which is a benefit since a lot of people dont want an immersion circulator running in their kitchen for days.

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

It kind of depends on how spergy your definition of "hot spot" is. I've seen people mention 0.5°F differences around the water bath, which is pretty insignificant. The convection system also means the SVS is completely silent, which is a benefit since a lot of people dont want an immersion circulator running in their kitchen for days.

I totally understand that, I'm just coming from a big circulator that is somewhat of a pain to drag out for small cook items (eggs, single steaks, etc) and this thing seems right up my alley. If I didn't already have a big circulator I'd probably go for a supreme/demi.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Chemmy posted:

Neat device idea, but none of their food pictures are great. Underseared steak, short ribs overdone (for sous vide).

Yeah the idea sounds good but the pictures they're using aren't selling it. The Short Ribs do look a bit done to me.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I could use a recommendation on a good sifter. I've tried a few and they really are terrible these days. My mom's old sifter was all metal and you'd squeeze the handle to rotate some fins over a mesh screen. It was also rusty and depositing oxidized iron into our confections. Should I just get a medium mesh strainer?

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Just got my thermapen and used it last night for the first time. :stare:. Amazing, I'm already in love with this thing. I can't wait to grill some steaks!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phummus posted:

I could use a recommendation on a good sifter. I've tried a few and they really are terrible these days. My mom's old sifter was all metal and you'd squeeze the handle to rotate some fins over a mesh screen. It was also rusty and depositing oxidized iron into our confections. Should I just get a medium mesh strainer?

Yeah, I just use a mesh strainer

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same here. I have a fairly deep oxo strainer that's perfect for the task.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

My experience with squeeze sifters is that after washing them you have to get them bone dry in order to prevent them from eventually oxidizing. Because there are three screens inside getting them dry is difficult and I have to use canned air to dry them out thoroughly.

Which is why I think I'm going to stick with mesh strainers now.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
Good Knife Sharpener - Chef's Choice 130

So I get really annoyed when cutting with dull knives, and that is about the extent of my knife snobbery. In my quest to have sharper knives I have bought 3 relatively nice knives for $30, $80, and over $100. None of those was as good of an investment as this knife sharpener. I just got it like two days ago, and I sharpened all of my knives. They all cut better than the day I got them now (and way the gently caress better than 3 days ago), and it was easy as poo poo. No skills or learning or anything, just loving drag it through #1 a till a burr is developed, then thru #3 a few times, takes like 3 minutes for a dull rear end knife. I also sharpened our cheapass knives, and all of them now pass the rest blade on tomato, drag handle backwards with no pressure, does it cut tomato test.

Of the knives I bought, I actually prefer the cheapest one, the Victorinox 8 inch Chef's knife. I'm considering giving away my other expensive knives as presents to people who care about things other than functionality. (For anybody who cares, they are JA Henckles Pro S 10 Inch Chef's Knife, and 7 inch Santoku)

So if you hate dull knives I recommend buying the sharpener, and possibly the Victorinox.

I have one of those cheap ($10-20) dragging sharpeners from target, and that poo poo is worthless. I'm sure you can learn to sharpen knives with cheaper equipment similarly well, but if you don't want to, this is the bomb.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bob_McBob posted:

How's the temperature stability on the Demi? I remember when SeattleFoodGeek did a review on the Supreme there could be up to a 2°F difference from the set temp.
And the Nomiku makers are saying their's at worst would be o.3°F.

Zirah
Feb 18, 2006

What is the best food processor on the market? Looking at something for less than $150.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
KitchenAids 12 cups
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1018&bih=1067

(If you don't mind pink, Amazon has one for $109)

Cuisinart 12 or 14 cups
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...w=1018&bih=1067

Burger Crime
Dec 27, 2010

Deliciousness is not a Burger Crime.

Acetone posted:

Mega-post: the ideal starter kitchen set (in decreasing importance):
  1. 1-2 qt multi-ply saucepan with lid. Not nonstick so you can use a metal whisk in it. Cheaper option: encapsulated aluminum-disk bottom.
  2. 2.5-3.5 qt multi-ply or good nonstick saucepan, with lid. Cheaper alternative: aluminum disk bottom.
  3. 10" multi-ply slope-sided saute pan (12" if you cook for 4 or have multiple larger eyes on your range)
  4. cheap 8" or 10" teflon nonstick saute/omelet pan. Look for thick aluminum and a slick coating. Spend no more than $15, because they wear out and need replacement.
  5. ONE larger, deep pot, 4-8 quarts. Must be oven-safe. A cast-iron or enameled dutch oven or shallower stockpot (like the cuisinart set) or pasta pot is ideal. This will probably get the least use unless you cook large portions of chili/pasta regularly. If you have to cut out an item, it's the one.
  6. 10" or 12" cast-iron skillet.
  7. ONE large jelly roll pan. Should be medium-gauge aluminum, never nonstick; they never stay nonstick for long, and you'll eventually need to use scouring pads or steel wool to get burned-on stuff off. Thin pans warp, thick ones result in undercooked bottoms. You can go cheap here.

8. Optional: second 1-2 qt saucepan -- cheaper, maybe nonstick or stainless with copper/aluminum disc-bottom. Useful for cooking multiple dishes or sauces.
  9. Optional: second 2.5-3.5 qt saucepan, heavy-gauge aluminum construction with nonstick interior. For rice and things that burn on and require soaking if you don't use nonstick. If you got nonstick above, this should be stainless-bottom.

I am purchasing a starter set and saw this back on page 4. Is there anything beyond this list that is considered absolutely necessary for pots/pans or any general recommendations on anything i will definitely need? I have a knife set and utensils(whisk,spatula,etc)

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
This is the opposite of a recommendation - this knife block..

Do not get it - knives will dissapear into it - unless you use the japanese style knives... If you have Globals (as I do) the knives will not be stopped by the wimpy insert in there, and you will be fishing for the short knives constantly.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Burger Crime posted:

I am purchasing a starter set and saw this back on page 4. Is there anything beyond this list that is considered absolutely necessary for pots/pans or any general recommendations on anything i will definitely need? I have a knife set and utensils(whisk,spatula,etc)

Page 42 has an FAQ

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Burger Crime posted:

A 9x13 Pyrex baking dish--you can use it for roasting chicken, pork, meat, etc and making casseroles.

Some metal mixing bowls of various sizes for prep. I like a large gentle slope bowl for tossing things together like salads and dressing.

Nice garlic press (I have a Zyliss that Cooks Illustrated liked). Everything uses garlic and it's a pain to mince IMHO.

Some small bowls for prep, like these Pyrex ones. I use these constantly--they can hold spices and ingredients, or are great for microwaving small stuff like butter. I have 8 and sometimes run out when doing big stuff.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Gravity recommended a Japanese water stone in some thread. I thought it was in here but a glance over a dozen or so pages didn't reveal it. Anybody have the link? I think it was like 50 bucks. The whetstone I got for Christmas has disappeared and my knives are getting dull as poo poo.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Kenning posted:

Gravity recommended a Japanese water stone in some thread. I thought it was in here but a glance over a dozen or so pages didn't reveal it. Anybody have the link? I think it was like 50 bucks. The whetstone I got for Christmas has disappeared and my knives are getting dull as poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762&pagenumber=110&perpage=40#post400935176

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If I'm close enough to the Shun place to take my knives in for sharpening, is there any reason why I would do them myself or elsewhere?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Kenning posted:

I have a cheaper norton oilstone which works pretty well. I think it cost me $25

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

PRADA SLUT posted:

If I'm close enough to the Shun place to take my knives in for sharpening, is there any reason why I would do them myself or elsewhere?

just money really. my place does a knife for between 3-4.50, but that adds up when you're talking about 6-8 knives and you gotta do it at least once every 3-4 months, in an ideal world...

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe

PRADA SLUT posted:

Because Shun came out themselves and said that the sharpening job they do at their own company isn't as good as the sharpening service they are now contracting their knives out for. I emailed them a while back when they started charging for knife sharpening and that's the answer they gave as to why they don't offer it for free anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
there was recently a sale on foodsavers, and there was a V3880 for $95 with a bunch of extras. I've been meaning to get a food saver for a long time, so I just bought it on impulse - it said it was normally like a $350 dollar package.

does anyone have experience with these? I didn't really have time to look and see if it was really as good of a deal as it sounded like, but the 3880 looked like the top of the line model, so I figured what the heck. I think I can still cancel my order though if the unit sucks or something.

• Locked thread