Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

InShaneee posted:

For those who haven't heard of the LCG model, it's like a CCG except with new sets released as a single fixed-card booster box instead of random booster packs.

So what I'm saying is this is amazing news, hell yeah Netrunner.

I've picked up Invasion and I'm really loving the LCG model. I don't have the time, cash, or effort to keep up with a CCG these days, and LCGs are perfect for that. I really wish FFG would put out more cooperative ones, though.

EDIT: Just more ones geared around multiplayer in general would be good. I've heard there are some rules for Invasion but no one seems to be able to find them. I haven't tried many of the others yet, just because I don't care for Game of Thrones. I liked LotR though the few times I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

bowmore posted:

Still no DBZ write-up.

I'm hanging out with a couple former world champions saturday, I'll see if I can con either of them into writing something up, at least one is a goon I'm pretty sure

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

LongDarkNight posted:

I know a few guys on the Player's Committee and Star Wars CCG is still going strong. The best source for cards is probably Ebay. Worst case you can print the cards, I know a few guys with high end printers that have gotten away with proxies in tournaments. The virtual cards have added great depth to the game addressing old imbalances and adding new deck types.

Yeah, I've been digging around the past couple days and the community seems pretty vibrant. I wish there was just a big decklist database somewhere though- I feel like everyone knows what most of the archetypes look like and can communicate in a sort of shorthand that leaves noobs like me feeling kind of stranded.

Also, with Decipher abandoning the line due to losing the license, I'm feeling kind of ambivalent about buying cards. I found some storefronts online and most singles are under a couple bucks, but there are some out of stock or short-printed cards that get pretty pricey. Seeing as "sanctioned" events have a kind of ambiguous meaning with this game, I'm feeling like just printing out cards at this point is hardly grievous.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
The decklists for tournaments are posted on the PC website, you can also ask on the forums. It is tough getting back in to the game but the community is very helpful and wants to get more people playing. They've also got resources for playing online through Holodeck. This (http://swccg.polarhaven.net/) is also a good place to browse the cards and come up with deck ideas.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, so I apologise in advance if I have made a cock-up.

I have, sitting on my shelf, the World Of Warcraft TCG Onyxia's Lair and Molten Core raid decks. I bought them when they first came out and they have been pretty much untouched. What I would really like to do, is put some decks together, so that we can just use the raid decks like a boardgame. So people just come over and pick up a hero deck and off we go.

Does anyone know if this has been done? I know nothing of the game after Through the Dark Portal and I don't really fancy spending a ton of time putting together decks that won't just overpower the raid decks (I know that when they came out they were hard as hell, but I assume there has been some power creep since the first two sets.)

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

There are some WoW class starters available now, and they're pretty much pre-made decks that do exactly what you want.

You may also be interested in the dungeon decks, which were some popular dungeons converted into raid-style decks, but they're self-playing, shorter, and balanced to play against the class starters.

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
What he said. Also, if you end up buying the Dungeon Decks, check to see if you pull a card named Edwin Vancleef. It's worth a LOT of money.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Phrosphor posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, so I apologise in advance if I have made a cock-up.

I have, sitting on my shelf, the World Of Warcraft TCG Onyxia's Lair and Molten Core raid decks. I bought them when they first came out and they have been pretty much untouched. What I would really like to do, is put some decks together, so that we can just use the raid decks like a boardgame. So people just come over and pick up a hero deck and off we go.

Does anyone know if this has been done? I know nothing of the game after Through the Dark Portal and I don't really fancy spending a ton of time putting together decks that won't just overpower the raid decks (I know that when they came out they were hard as hell, but I assume there has been some power creep since the first two sets.)

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

I don't know how tuned they are for the older raid decks, but the Frozen Throne raid deck came with three pre-built hero decks to the raid with.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Ah sweet, I didn't realise the new ones had decks with them. Thanks very much guys I will check them out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Hell poo poo how is Ed VanCleef so expensive?

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib

moths posted:

Hell poo poo how is Ed VanCleef so expensive?

He's a format defining card. Think Jace TMS, but completely colorless. Then mind the fact that he only came out in a pack that is relatively difficult to get and above the standard MSRP.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
For getting into the WoW TCG what would be better-- the 2011 class deck or the Champion decks? I want to play a monster. Do the latest run of dungeon decks come with player decks like Icecrown did?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

If you want to play a monster, go with the Champion decks. I don't think there are huge balance differences between the two sets, but I haven't gotten to play in quite some time.

Also, the North American Top 16 were posted. Only three decks didn't have 4x Edwin VanCleefs, and one of those decks had 3x.
:suicide:

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Last night I had a dream that I went into KB Toys and they had a bunch of Doomtown decks for 99 cents and loose Overpower singles for 10 cents a piece. It's been years since I've thought about either of those games aside from spending 30 minutes looking at my old cards every couple years.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

If you want to play a monster, go with the Champion decks. I don't think there are huge balance differences between the two sets, but I haven't gotten to play in quite some time.

Also, the North American Top 16 were posted. Only three decks didn't have 4x Edwin VanCleefs, and one of those decks had 3x.
:suicide:

Why don't they ban the freaking thing? eBay says the card's $140 each, that's got to deter players from a game with an already small playerbase.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

BJPaskoff posted:

Why don't they ban the freaking thing? eBay says the card's $140 each, that's got to deter players from a game with an already small playerbase.
Are you kidding? This is the siren song. It's going to kill the game, sure, but in the mean time, absolutely everyone who plays (and many would-be entrepreneurs who don't) is buying up packs, hoping to get one. The game will die, but not before they ride the giant spike in sales this produces all the way down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The American Dream posted:

Last night I had a dream that I went into KB Toys and they had a bunch of Doomtown decks for 99 cents

Stuff that, I just want FFG to pick up Doomtown for a Living Card Game release. There's already precedent - the last ever Doomtown set was released as a non-collectable box - and being able to include non-card components would make movement much easier to follow.

DocRanger
Mar 13, 2012
Any good FREE non-collectible card games?
I want to print out the cards and play a couple of games with my younger relatives.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Stuff that, I just want FFG to pick up Doomtown for a Living Card Game release. There's already precedent - the last ever Doomtown set was released as a non-collectable box - and being able to include non-card components would make movement much easier to follow.

I'm not sure anyone would want to pick it up and republish it straight, given that it was a pretty complex game (I don't think I've ever seen a CCG with as much bookkeeping as Doomtown before).

Not to say that I wouldn't buy the hell of it if someone did republish it, because I would. Maybe if Android Netrunner takes off, FFG will be in a licensing state of mind?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DocRanger posted:

Any good FREE non-collectible card games?
I want to print out the cards and play a couple of games with my younger relatives.

There's a fun game that I played at GP Indianapolis with my host called Yomi that you should check out. It's inspired by fighting games and is based on a rock-paper-scissors system, and if you win you can then follow up your successful attack with a number of extra attacks.

There are two editions of the game that you can get, depending on what kind of money you want to spend. There is a manufactured version that will run you $100 that comes with everything, two decks that are paired with each other for $25, or an electronic edition that you can print out and play with for $15.

Spec it

DocRanger
Mar 13, 2012
Yomi is not exactly what I was looking for, but thanks all the same. I learned the term "print-and-play", after all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

DocRanger posted:

Yomi is not exactly what I was looking for, but thanks all the same. I learned the term "print-and-play", after all.

I missed the free part, but $15 for the whole game and you get to print it all out at will is pretty good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

You probably want Thunderstone then.

Sega 32X
Jan 3, 2004

InShaneee posted:

I'm not sure anyone would want to pick it up and republish it straight, given that it was a pretty complex game (I don't think I've ever seen a CCG with as much bookkeeping as Doomtown before).

Not to say that I wouldn't buy the hell of it if someone did republish it, because I would. Maybe if Android Netrunner takes off, FFG will be in a licensing state of mind?

The problem with Doomtown is that there are a bunch of people who hold different parts of the Deadlands license. AEG, The remains of Pinnacle, whoever owns the current Savage Worlds release, etc. Plus AEG would probably be less likely to sell the game mechanics to a direct competitor (since they've moved more into board games lately).

That said, Spycraft (another AEG game) has probably the most bookkeeping of any CCG. It was actually pretty fun and fast once you played it a bunch of times, but it was a game where each character had printed abilities and 4 once-per-turn rulebook abilities that all inflicted different conditions on people. Ugh.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'm actually working with someone on hammering out a card game, that will probably be "released" as print-and-play, and as a Lackey extension.

The working title is Spy Games, and it's an unholy combination of mechanics adapted from other games, and crafted wholesale to represent a shadow war between megacorps, nations, everyone caught in the middle, and one eccentric mysterious billionaire who totally isn't Charlie, honest.

DocRanger
Mar 13, 2012

moths posted:

You probably want Thunderstone then.

I've played that on the con! A little bit too complex for the kids, but thanks all the same.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Wikipedia Brown posted:

Netrunner is coming back: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3272

Only now, it's set in the same setting as some FFG board game that I've never heard of instead of the awesome and ridiculously anachronistic world of CP2020.

Wizards is reviving their Duel Masters franchise rebranded as Kaijudo (really? is Japanese stuff still going strong for kids?) Pretty interesting how TCGs are getting revived.

I'm just hoping that some of them get the mainstream digital treatment because I love automated rule enforcement.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Tezzeract posted:

Wizards is reviving their Duel Masters franchise rebranded as Kaijudo (really? is Japanese stuff still going strong for kids?) Pretty interesting how TCGs are getting revived.

I'm just hoping that some of them get the mainstream digital treatment because I love automated rule enforcement.

Kaijudo, from what my LGS told me, actually gives away an anime DVD that has the first four episodes of the show, which double as a guide to playing the game. :wtc:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Feeple posted:

Kaijudo, from what my LGS told me, actually gives away an anime DVD that has the first four episodes of the show, which double as a guide to playing the game. :wtc:
Guide to playing the game, as in the characters actually follow the rules, or do they follow them about as well as Yu-Gi-Oh characters do?

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Colon V posted:

Guide to playing the game, as in the characters actually follow the rules, or do they follow them about as well as Yu-Gi-Oh characters do?

Beats me. I just know that my LGS was giving them away with starters and they told me the DVD teaches you the game.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008
The show actually does not involve the tcg. The game itself is really fun though.

Edit: phone posting is fun.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Elblanco posted:

The show actually does not involve the tcg. The game itself is really fun though.

Edit: phone posting is fun.

It's lightweight magic with some neat mechanical twists. I loved the first couple of sets of the original, hope the reprint holds up a little longer.

Newfork
Feb 13, 2012

There are innumerable ways in which I can stop you.

lighttigersoul posted:

It's lightweight magic with some neat mechanical twists. I loved the first couple of sets of the original, hope the reprint holds up a little longer.

Yeah, Duel Masters is a really fun and fast-paced game with a lot of neat twists on MTG. I hope they manage to keep it around long enough to get some of the newer mechanics from the Japanese version into the English game. It looks really deceptively simple but there's a lot of cool interplay.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Newfork posted:

Yeah, Duel Masters is a really fun and fast-paced game with a lot of neat twists on MTG. I hope they manage to keep it around long enough to get some of the newer mechanics from the Japanese version into the English game. It looks really deceptively simple but there's a lot of cool interplay.

As long as we don't see the triplebreaker mess that killed the American metagame dead, should be fun. Seriously, shield triggers and evolutions made that game for me.

Ebethron
Apr 27, 2008

"I hear the coast is nice this time of year."
"If you're in the right business, it's nice all the year."
I watched the tutorial by Team Covenant for The Spoils and it made the game look as if it plays out almost identically to MTG - apart from having pseudo-banding and multiple levels of first strike woven into the rules of the game. Am I missing something? It looked quite 'skirmishy' (whereas in MTG either one player tends to roll over the other or the board ends up locked at stalemate, at least in limited). Is this the interactivity that its fans emphasise?

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

Fallen Rib
The full spoiler for the next WoW TCG set (Battle of the Aspects) can be found at this link: http://www.warcraftgamingcenter.com/baofas.html

There's a lot of really neat stuff in this set, and I'm actually really excited for it. Last year's treasure only had like two cards worth caring about in it, (Shadowfang Keep and Edwin Vancleef), this year is looking to be MUCH better. All of the epics of the set are good, but none of them are on the power level of Edwin. (The new Thrall is really sick, though the pre-order price is HEAVILY inflated. Will most likely be 25-30 when it comes out for good.)

There is a lot of support for Warrior and Rogue in there, which is pretty awesome. The new Master Hero is awe-inspiring if nothing else, though I doubt it'll ever see competitive play.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Hrm, maybe I should do a quick write up on Shadowfist and the Shadowrun and Kult CCGs if I can find some of my decks.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe
That would actually be quite timely. They just announced a Kickstarter to relaunch Shadowfist. I don't know too much about the mechanics, though I know it was making the rounds as one of the (supposedly) better games of the CCG boom. I'd be very curious to hear if it still holds up.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

Ebethron posted:

I watched the tutorial by Team Covenant for The Spoils and it made the game look as if it plays out almost identically to MTG - apart from having pseudo-banding and multiple levels of first strike woven into the rules of the game. Am I missing something? It looked quite 'skirmishy' (whereas in MTG either one player tends to roll over the other or the board ends up locked at stalemate, at least in limited). Is this the interactivity that its fans emphasise?

Yes, the combat rules are one of the major areas of difference between The Spoils and Magic. In fact when I'm converting magic players, it's actually my primary focus area in teaching, because it's the most different.

Otherwise, Triggers don't use a stack mechanic, and there's more counter-play in how you use the various tactics. (Think about how green/red have to outplay with instants and you get a feel for most of the Spoils.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

InShaneee posted:

That would actually be quite timely. They just announced a Kickstarter to relaunch Shadowfist. I don't know too much about the mechanics, though I know it was making the rounds as one of the (supposedly) better games of the CCG boom. I'd be very curious to hear if it still holds up.

Shadowfist was fantastic but only with 4 or more players. With two players it was too hard to come back from an early loss and three got stuck in no one wanting to be the first to make a move to win.

The mechanics of Shadowfist were quite good, the main thing was that you won by achieving a goal and not eliminating other players. That goal was to have a certain number of Feng Shui sites where the final one had to be taken from another player. Attacks on sites could be joined both offensively and defensively by other players which made it easy to gang up on the King Of The Hill. A lot of cards were also designed to be used as comeback cards, for instance being free to play when a player one site from victory declares an attack or replacing your own power generation with an amount equal to the power generated by someone else.

Each player also refills their entire hand at the beginning of a turn with the option of discarding as many cards as you want from your hand before drawing if you choose not to generate any power. In Shadowfist you're never out of the game and I can't begin to count the number of times an attempt to win was thwarted by a cheap little card from someone way behind.

Shadowfist was one of the first high quality CCG's after MTG as I remember but never really took off, probably due to the bad business decisions so typical for the gaming industry. There was a reboot of sorts a few years later but the charming artwork of the first sets was now bland CG imagery and overpowered new factions. I'll throw them a few bucks, it looks like they are focused more on bringing back the game as it was then introducing new stuff.

• Locked thread