Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

clutchpuck posted:

That thing is a 2-wheeled Panzer tank, so huge. Seems like a really good price on it, too. Compare to http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/mcy/3018140019.html - or maybe our prices are just retarded high or there's something wrong with that one like a salvage title.

thylacine posted:

I just got rid of my 1100gs. It was my second bike and first "real bike."(3 bikes in 9 months since starting riding, ha.)

It hauled rear end on the highway, on the dirt roads and paved twisty roads in the Ozarks. Parts where also gently caress-all expensive and it got 30mpg. I don't know if they've improved that on the newer ones and you'd have less to worry about, mine was 14 years old and stuff was starting to break. Oil changes where expensive, it takes like 4 quarts. And, it used premium gasoline.

Overall pretty fun, they are 'balanced' really well, meaning you don't feel like your riding a giant tractor. But, the tractor-like clutch takes a while to get used to. BMWs use more automotive like dry single-plate clutches. I lay'd her down a few times (not at speed, just dropped it when not moving.) It was surprisingly easy to get back up.

But, I like my smaller less goofy-nerd-looking bike I have now.

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up finally calling the guy yesterday and took a short drive to check the bike out. No surprises with the moto, he was only selling it because his wife wasn't comfortable on the back any longer (they are both retired) - took it for a quick spin, fell in love and agreed to buy it! Pretty drat exciting :) After taking it for a quick ride, I can say it feels exactly what I always thought a motorcycle should feel like, if that makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Alright. In my continuing quest for a new bike I jokingly sent an email to this guy (who has a '79 CB400 with an asking of $2000):

CL Seller posted:

Hello, I have a 1979 Honda hawk (cb400t2). Bike has always been kept in a garage and is in good cosmetic shape.
Some small blemishes on the tank, nothing too noticeable. Chrome is also in good condition. The bike is currently
In running condition, this spring I gave it it's final tune up. The carbs were cleaned and almost fully rebuilt, replaced
Floats, needles, and jets. The engine always had a ticking noise so I tore it down and found a cracked valve guide. The
Head was machined and valve was replaced, all other valves were re adjusted and now the bike runs very smooth. I buy
Old Hondas and fix them up, I know this bike inside and out. It's a solid runner and I hate to see it go but I'm looking to
Start another restore. Email me if you would like pictures I'll try and update some on this ad very soon.

I told him I was interested and wanted to see pictures. He sent me a slideshow of him rebuilding the carbs and this pic from his phone:

I told him it looked good, but I only have $900-1000 in cash right now (which is pretty much true). He then counter offered me at $1200. Is this bike worth $1200? I mean if it's perfectly mint and I could just ride it with no serious issues (forks, chain, tires, etc), it seems kinda good to me . . . thoughts?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Boru posted:

Alright. In my continuing quest for a new bike I jokingly sent an email to this guy (who has a '79 CB400 with an asking of $2000):

I told him I was interested and wanted to see pictures. He sent me a slideshow of him rebuilding the carbs and this pic from his phone:

I told him it looked good, but I only have $900-1000 in cash right now (which is pretty much true). He then counter offered me at $1200. Is this bike worth $1200? I mean if it's perfectly mint and I could just ride it with no serious issues (forks, chain, tires, etc), it seems kinda good to me . . . thoughts?

no. My friend paid $300 for his 3000mi great condition CB400.
He would be very lucky to get $900 for it.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

qutius posted:

Thanks for the info guys, I ended up finally calling the guy yesterday and took a short drive to check the bike out. No surprises with the moto, he was only selling it because his wife wasn't comfortable on the back any longer (they are both retired) - took it for a quick spin, fell in love and agreed to buy it! Pretty drat exciting :) After taking it for a quick ride, I can say it feels exactly what I always thought a motorcycle should feel like, if that makes any sense.

I'm thinking you got a pretty sweet deal.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

no. My friend paid $300 for his 3000mi great condition CB400.
He would be very lucky to get $900 for it.

Gnarly has spoken! Thanks for the heads up.

I atribute the price to living in the northEAST (Connecticut), and scenesters driving up the CB prices. Even though the bike is actually a CM, judging by the body and the sidecover. Oh CL. :allears:

EDIT: Stupid phone auto-correct: I live in the north EAST drat it!

Lanky_Nibz fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jun 15, 2012

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

clutchpuck posted:

I'm thinking you got a pretty sweet deal.

Man, I'm thinking I got a pretty fair deal too.

There are two nearly identical bikes at a dealer not too far away, both with slightly lower miles, priced at $11,500.

Not bad!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Boru posted:

Gnarly has spoken! Thanks for the heads up.

I atribute the price to living in the northwest, and scenesters driving up the CB prices. Even though the bike is actually a CM, judging by the body and the sidecover. Oh CL. :allears:

No worries. If you're looking for a Honda, hit up SOHC.net
There's a ton of bikes in the midwest and a good number of them filter out your way from time to time.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I have been looking at ads in Puerto Rico, besides the fact that there is not that many bikes in CL I fount this... Thing...

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

ElMaligno posted:

I have been looking at ads in Puerto Rico, besides the fact that there is not that many bikes in CL I fount this... Thing...

:psyduck: I love the rubber mallet. It's kind of essential to the craziness that is this bike. You can't really can't any more naked than that either . . .

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3075763742.html

For $950... I can't help but lust after vintage dirt bikes.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

EvilCrayon posted:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/mcy/3075763742.html

For $950... I can't help but lust after vintage dirt bikes.

Bike definitely looks worth the price asked, but the..

"Call Dan 707-921-9272 gas gas beta Honda Trials Bultaco Trials Custom made metal tank,Mikuni carb. Needs nothing"

..and the environment in the pictures tells me that you might might want to go armed and bring a friend with a shotgun for looking at this bike with cash in your pocket.

Or I might just be paranoid.

I'll call Dan if you don't post for a couple of weeks.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Vintage trials bike? I want one so bad but I'm trying to buy a WR250 here :(

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Z3n posted:

Vintage trials bike? I want one so bad but I'm trying to buy a WR250 here :(

Tell me about it. I've spend a couple of months trying to find a solid XTZ 750 Super Tenere I'd like wrenching. So far more con-rod knock and piston slap than luck. Ok, the XTZ isn't actually a "trial"-bike before wrenching, but it could be.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Still don't know how I would get it plated. The vermont idea comes up but all the information I'm getting is from a few years back so I don't know if laws have changed. Seems like it will exclude a 2-stroke non-highway legal 350cc trials bike with no signals or lights...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

EvilCrayon posted:

Still don't know how I would get it plated. The vermont idea comes up but all the information I'm getting is from a few years back so I don't know if laws have changed. Seems like it will exclude a 2-stroke non-highway legal 350cc trials bike with no signals or lights...

A bike that old, if it had lights and the needed equipment, I bet you could get a plate by walking in to the dmv and feigning persistent ignorance.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004
My friend wants me to take a look at this later today:

http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/3059827628.html

Looks nice but what's up with the SVR paint job? Maybe the bike was down and repainted because that's definitely not a factory scheme. Has non-S handle bars so it could have possibly started life as a non-S. Not sure about the rear sets but I should mention my friend is a taller guy and a (soon to be) new rider so he'd probably benefit from the non-S rear sets being a little lower. I don't know if it comes with the side fairings seen in the background but I'd imagine it does, those are probably worth a few hundred dollars. I'd probably price this around $3000 with the side fairings. It is almost 10 years old after all.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'd say it's worth closer to $2500, depending on the age of the tires, condition of the sprockets and other consumables. I'd also be curious about why it was painted, the condition of the fairings, why they put the handlebar on it, etc. Show up with cash and lowball relentlessly, that's what I'd do.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

ElMaligno posted:

That is wicked.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.
I'm glad I don't have a lot of disposable income right now.

Unf.

http://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/3044396576.html

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That is a bizarrely huge rear sprocket. Sexy exhaust, though.

Toshi
Oct 14, 2005
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404381 Totally sweet ninja 250.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
First Ninja 1000 I've seen on CL and for a pretty good price too.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/3043178339.html

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
Is a non-running '96 GSX 600 worth $750?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3088817440.html

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Depends, is it non-running because its red? Or because is it green?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can someone explain the RED or GREEN or BLUE or whatever thing? At first I thought it was a shorthand way of discussing the brand by their racing colors -- greens are clearly kawasakis, reds are hondas, etc. Then I thought maybe it was taking the piss out of people who don't know anything about their vehicles other than the color. But now ElMaligno's statement doesn't fit either of those situations that I can tell.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sagebrush posted:

Can someone explain the RED or GREEN or BLUE or whatever thing? At first I thought it was a shorthand way of discussing the brand by their racing colors -- greens are clearly kawasakis, reds are hondas, etc. Then I thought maybe it was taking the piss out of people who don't know anything about their vehicles other than the color. But now ElMaligno's statement doesn't fit either of those situations that I can tell.

I am trying to berate him for asking a question without giving information. For all I know the bike might not be running because its missing both wheels, the engince, gas tank and steering stem. Or it may be the battery. Or it may be missing its keys. Or it may be our of gas. Or it may be green, Or it may be purple with pink polka dots. And so on and so forth.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/mcy/3090983352.html

Suzuki Bandit GSF400, $1000

What's the catch?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Ah, okay. If you read the posting he does give more information: it's "something in the engine" and it could be anything from a loose cam chain to crashed valves.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sagebrush posted:

Ah, okay. If you read the posting he does give more information: it's "something in the engine" and it could be anything from a loose cam chain to crashed valves.

I am a retard and didn't see the link, carry on. :downs:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Dzus posted:

What's the catch?
I saw that, too. If that had been posted three weeks from today I'd have already bought it. No way it will last that long. :smith:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Dzus posted:

What's the catch?

Two too many cylinders!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Dzus posted:

What's the catch?

Lovely litle bikes but the carbs on them are problematic, and the capacitors in the CDI like to dry up and let all the magic smoke out.
Parts are getting pretty hard to get. my first bike was the 250cc version, 4 62.5cc cylinders with an 18k redline, it was so much fun when it was working but a nightmare when poo poo started to go wrong.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
http://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/3094087474.html

quote:

I was gonna make a cafe out of this. I know it runs cause I had a video of it running before the tear down. I just lost interest and honestly don't what im doing. now I just want something that is ready to ride. please txt if interested.
thanks.

Poor guy should have asked here first.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Poor bike, more like. :smith:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

echomadman posted:

Lovely litle bikes but the carbs on them are problematic, and the capacitors in the CDI like to dry up and let all the magic smoke out.
Parts are getting pretty hard to get. my first bike was the 250cc version, 4 62.5cc cylinders with an 18k redline, it was so much fun when it was working but a nightmare when poo poo started to go wrong.
I want it so bad. I sent the guy an e-mail. Maybe he'll hold it for extra money or something, hah. That worries me about parts availability, though.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.

Fifty Three posted:

I want it so bad. I sent the guy an e-mail. Maybe he'll hold it for extra money or something, hah. That worries me about parts availability, though.

I did too. Said he has over 60 requests to look at the bike, and a guy is coming today to buy it. Wild to see so much response for it, but I guess the price is right.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

gently caress. I was ready to finally buy a bike. I don't want to pay $3k for a Ninjette. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

Poor bike, more like. :smith:

People like this idiot are the reason I have 12+ loving bikes in my garage right now. Poor me?

Also what the gently caress is up with this asshat?
Someone is just begging to get trolled.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I don't know what I'd do with it, but if I had $3000 laying around, I'd buy this.
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/3097156426.html

Things like this are the perks of a state with no vehicle inspections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Also what the gently caress is up with this asshat?
Someone is just begging to get trolled.

Didn't that one show up in the pictures and videos thread a while ago?

e: It was the scooter thread, and it's not the same. Similar though.

e2: $7500? :stare:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 24, 2012