Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

I *DO* HAVE A BOBA FETT TATTOO, HE JUST DOESN'T PLAY CLARINET
I'm about 14 seconds away from having a heart attack now, next weekend is Denver Comic con and I'm not done yet. WHY MUST WE ALL PROCRASTINATE LIKE THIS it can't be good on our health. Dedicating all time to painting this weekend so I can relax and not fill my diaper constantly.

Attaching thrusters and finishing a few more details up today

My gauntlets took a little longer to assemble than I originally thought

All painted now though, only thing I have left to do to them is paint and add the gauntlet rocket on the left arm.

Got the armor put on the vest which is actually quite a bitch to do.

And the jetpack harness is set up, just needs lowered a little.

Now, let us pray that by Sunday I will have pictures of me wearing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

If any Mass Effect fans have $650 burning a hole in their N7 armor, ThinkGeek has a prop M-8 Avenger.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
How much is that going to cost you all said and done, Osmethae?

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Everything that was bought was purchased in kit form, and I've still got about $1600 sunk into it including all the supplies I needed.

I can see why it takes most people a few years to put it all together, and then I did it in a month = broke.

MajorGravy
Nov 3, 2010
Almost done with the Daft Punk build! On the left is the beginnings of the arm gauntlets that they wear to program the helmets. Mine's not gonna be fully functional, but hopefully it'll look good as an extra add-on for the costume!

Helmet got it's last coat of silver today. (I'm too poor for chrome) The visor will be attached when I head over to my mate's place in Sydney tomorrow in preparation for Supanova.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Worked on it for 10 hours straight today (I'm dead) and got this.

If you have to ask if I stole it from the movie, I DID.

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
That is positively astonishing! Amazing, goddamn amazing work!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

RazorBunny posted:

If any Mass Effect fans have $650 burning a hole in their N7 armor, ThinkGeek has a prop M-8 Avenger.

Quoting myself to say one of our friends ended up ordering one. I'll get some pictures for the thread.

I think I'm going to ask him if I can borrow it and use it to make a mold, and cast a copy out of something more lightweight. The licensed prop weighs twenty pounds! That's more than twice the weight of the M16 I trained with in ROTC, and that got very heavy by the end of a long day.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

RazorBunny posted:

Quoting myself to say one of our friends ended up ordering one. I'll get some pictures for the thread.

I think I'm going to ask him if I can borrow it and use it to make a mold, and cast a copy out of something more lightweight. The licensed prop weighs twenty pounds! That's more than twice the weight of the M16 I trained with in ROTC, and that got very heavy by the end of a long day.

You wouldn't be able to re-sell those recasts but instead of paying you for it I would pay you for supplies and time.... heh :smug:

Osmethae posted:

Worked on it for 10 hours straight today (I'm dead) and got this.

If you have to ask if I stole it from the movie, I DID.

Very cool! I understand going broke on a project. I built my Stormtrooper in two weeks and ended up finishing it up for around $1000.

Osmethae
Feb 23, 2010

Red Robin Hood posted:

Very cool! I understand going broke on a project. I built my Stormtrooper in two weeks and ended up finishing it up for around $1000.

It's most certainly one drat expensive hobby to collect these kinds of things.

I put it all on today like I said I would! Definitely happy about how it came out, I need to adjust a few things here and there

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Have you applied to the Mando mercs in your area? Or the 501st Legion?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Yoshimitsu screen printing is officially done! :woop:

Top one is about how it will look, except both tiers will have gold braided trim added.

That leaves only Hilde's shoulder capelet thing to print, and I'm done with harassing my work for the whole summer! Vacuum former arrived yesterday, too, so I'm hoping to test it out this weekend. Exciting stuff.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I did my tape dummy over the weekend. The results were imperfect at best - I should have done it in pieces since I intended it to eventually be in pieces, but my husband thought we could do it all at once and, well, it was really uncomfortable. I was freezing cold by the end.

I also made the mistake of using something synthetic and too stretchy on the arm area, and the arms were a total bust. The torso and legs turned out okay, though, so it's not a loss. I'll definitely do it a little differently when I help my friend do hers in the next couple of weeks.

We did have to cut the legs off separately, but the pelvis is in okay shape for being split down the middle.

Now I really have no excuse! Hopefully this upcoming weekend I'll have time to clean up the craft room and get started in earnest.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I painted Yoshi's masks over the weekend! Just have to spray a topcoat on and the split masks are finished. The 2p mask still needs some work -- hopefully I can put the moustache and beard in this week because I really want to see it in all its insane glory.

As for the eyes - I realized belatedly that his eyes are lit up :( So now my plan of action is make the eyes out of resin and install LEDs. My actual vision in the mask is located on either side of the nose, so I think if I put some opaque fabric there the same color as the eyes I'll be able to see somewhat without it being noticeable outside.

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

THIZZ- Those masks are looking rad as hell.

McPantserton- Could you possibly go over more in detail how you do that metallic screen printing? I basically know nothing of screen printing and everything you've produced for this costume is so very :fap:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

paisleyfox posted:

THIZZ- Those masks are looking rad as hell.

McPantserton- Could you possibly go over more in detail how you do that metallic screen printing? I basically know nothing of screen printing and everything you've produced for this costume is so very :fap:
Part of it is that I work at a screen printing shop so that's sort of a step to bridge. :shobon: My boss lets me order materials at wholesale costs and use the shop and our screens for free. In the winter, when I don't work on costumes as much, I make all my own t-shirts. Screen printing materials are generally pretty easy and cheap to get, though, so I'll post a write-up of how I do my stuff, at least!

But basically, if you can get access to screen printing equipment, it's fairly easy (unless you do a sadistic 9-screen nightmare print like my Hilde banner aaaargh). I made the art in Adobe Illustrator, using kanji fonts for the kanji parts and just drawing all the rest. Then you print off the art in black onto something transparent, like clear acetate film or vellum paper. I had to piece the skirt print together because it's bigger than 11 x 17 using scotch tape. Tape this to the back of your screen with the darker printed side facing the screen.

This part is sort of counter-intuitive but it's the core part of the process. The way making a screen works is that each screen gets coated in a fluid called photo emulsion before you use it. The emulsion is water-soluble until it's exposed to enough UV light to cure it. So you take your uncured screen with the film taped to it and put it on a special light/vacuum table. The vacuum makes sure that everything stays still, and the light cures the whole screen except where the black parts of your printout protect it, leaving those parts able to be washed out with water. Once you rinse that part out, you're ready to go!

Then I just printed the designs using whatever rubber squeegees we had laying around. No screen print ink is as metallic as we wanted the Yoshimitsu prints, so I bought a special type of heat transfer foil to press over the print. I used an antique gold shimmer ink just in case some of the foil applied imperfectly. Once I'd cured the print in our dryer, I used our heat press (which we usually use to apply vinyl names to jerseys) and pressed on the foil, which only sticks to screen printed plastisol inks.

The Yoshimitsu stuff was actually very easy to do since it's all one-color and reasonably sized, it was much harder to print my Hildegard banner (2 feet long, 7 screens, didn't actually fit in any of our presses, ~18 hours of printing)

or the battle standard I made for our 40k group, which also was too big for our presses and had to be hand-set on the floor and now adorns the hallowed halls of our living room:

So yeah, not too bad if you, like, are a screen printer with a cool boss. :shobon:

Also ThizzFace, thozz faces look freaking awesome!! I cannot wait for the epic mustache. :D

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jun 13, 2012

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
If it's not prohibitively expensive, you could always look into getting a Yudu. It's just a fancy light box that exposes/cures the photo emulsion for you, but it's a hell of a lot easier to deal with than the traditional DIY method. I did the traditional method for years and that stupid Yudu has been the best thing I've spent my money on in a long time. It's pretty awesome to see a t-shirt somewhere and be able to recreate it at home for less than half the cost. I wouldn't waste your money on the Yudu emulsion sheets, though...get a bottle of Speedball and move on with life. Get more screens, too, so you can do more complex designs with extra color and poo poo.

Yudus usually run $300 IIRC, but I got mine on some random amazing sale at Michael's for $99.

ETA: JoAnn's will price match, so if you find an internet listing for it that's cheaper than their price print it out and bring it to them.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 14, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Yeah, something like that is a great way to print at home, especially if you still get photo emulsion. I seriously hate screen filler, it's less accurate and it's such a pain to clean out of screens. I think the water-based inks that people would use at home are a bit less robust than the heat-cured ones I use, but you're probably not going to be running a costume through the washer anyway.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Ugh, screen filler. I learned how to do this back in the day when you needed an Xacto knife to cut through the layers (I'm oooooold), so the photo emulsion is like dawn breaking after the blackest night. Furreals.

Most inks can be heat set by using a light iron on the back side of the design. Not all, though...some will melt. Definitely check the instructions on the ink bottles.
I made my friend a LEBANESE shirt after that stupid episode of Glee and she's worn/washed it pretty much every week since that episode aired, and it's just cheap Tulip paint. By contrast, the silver Death Eater symbol I threw on a black shirt faded out after one wash, even after heat setting. But yeah...costumes most likely won't be laundered the same way as one's undies.

All this talk is making me want to pull it out of the closet and print like mad again. I still haven't made that "skin job" shirt I've been meaning to.

FiendishThingy
Sep 7, 2003

Rufus En Fuego posted:

ETA: JoAnn's will price match, so if you find an internet listing for it that's cheaper than their price print it out and bring it to them.

I'm showing $67.61 on Amazon at the moment.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

FiendishThingy posted:

I'm showing $67.61 on Amazon at the moment.

That is a fantastic deal. If anyone was on the fence I'd hop off it now. I don't often recommend products, but for that price and what the machine does it's worth it.

ETA: Just a note on this thing...it doesn't do the printing for you. You still have to pull the ink across the screen with a squeegee using your own hands. The Yudu got a lot of bad reviews when it first came out because people expected everything to be done automatically and this is not what the machine's for. FYI to avoid misunderstandings.

ETA2: One of you just bought that thing, didn't you. When I first checked they had two in stock and now they only have one. Heh.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 14, 2012

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Does anyone in this thread have a recommendation for a good-quality bald cap that I can order online? I plan to try making one using liquid latex, but if I bollix it up I would like to have something to fall back on so I'm not stuck with a crappy Halloween-store version at the last minute.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

wheatpuppy posted:

Does anyone in this thread have a recommendation for a good-quality bald cap that I can order online? I plan to try making one using liquid latex, but if I bollix it up I would like to have something to fall back on so I'm not stuck with a crappy Halloween-store version at the last minute.

There's a short discussion thread about bald caps over on the RPF if no one here has a recommendation.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
Excellent, thanks!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Test pull!

It's not perfect, and the wolf blank is a BITCH to get out of the plastic, but I've got a good idea of how the forming is going to go! I think I'm going to test the wolf head again with a thinner plastic and slosh resin inside it to make it a little more substantial.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Oh my god. I really want a vaccuum table now.

What did you make the wolf form out of?

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
The wolf started as a gatorade bottle and newspaper, then roughly shaped with paperclay, then the details were formed with modeling clay. Since the modeling clay shrinks and is stupid, I also patched it with bondo and fake apoxiescult (MAGIC SCULPT~) and gave it a nice sand. It basically took a ton of time and patience.

LadyRavenWaves
Dec 18, 2007
You don't get stronger by lifting baby weights
That form looks awesome, I want one now too. But I have no idea where I would put it. Time to minimize again I guess.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

That former looks like it works nicely. If that is a test pull then once you get some time with it you are going to be doing amazing stuff.

So, here is a project question. A few years ago, I had a crappy Rocketeer costume. I have a long-term goal of putting together a much better one. I have good ideas on how to do most of it, it'll just take time (so much time). The one real issue I have is the helmet. Now, I have a Rocketeer helmet. It's a casting from one of the movie helmets, so it looks great. But, Billy Campbell (who played the Rocketeer) is a big dude. He's 6'4". I am 5'11". So this helmet is big on me. And every other reproduction/kit you can find or buy is going to be the same.

So. I have this helmet to use for measurments, reference, etc. But how to I make a version scaled down like 5%? I feel like there has to be something easier than 'Sculpt one from clay while staring at your reference', but I can't work out what.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
We're going to try out some varying grades of plastic this week/weekend, hopefully. I think the 1mm stuff I bought is going to be too thin for pieces that bolt to other pieces, but it'll be awesome for the super-detailed pieces.

As for resizing the Rocketeer helmet, I think you will be looking at totally remaking it, unfortunately. The dude over at http://blindsquirrelprops.blogspot.com/ had the same issue with a Sauron helmet and he rebuilt it from the ground up.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

McPantserton posted:

We're going to try out some varying grades of plastic this week/weekend, hopefully. I think the 1mm stuff I bought is going to be too thin for pieces that bolt to other pieces, but it'll be awesome for the super-detailed pieces.

When I was trying it I felt that the 0.080" styrene (which is, uh, ~2mm?) was a pretty good thickness for working with. Once it's formed it seems pretty rigid and robust. My problem was that I felt like I spent more time trying to make sutiable forms than it would have taken to just make a piece to use. I had a lot of frustrations where I would try to form something and the suction would actually collapse my form. :( That combined with my home-hacked setup just made it all too frustrating. You're already doing much better than I did.

quote:

As for resizing the Rocketeer helmet, I think you will be looking at totally remaking it, unfortunately. The dude over at http://blindsquirrelprops.blogspot.com/ had the same issue with a Sauron helmet and he rebuilt it from the ground up.

I took a look at that build, and its' pretty amazing. The problem is that I am such a lackluster sculpter that I don't think I can do it. It's just so frustrating to have this perfect reference and not be able to do anything useful with it. So far the only thing I can think of is to use the one I have to get measurements, etc, for a pepakura design, and then print that at a reduced size. Argh.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord
Maybe you could make a replica of the helmet you have. If you use something that is safe for it you could make a clone and go from there.

Try looking into alginate(sp). You could mix up a bunch to make a soft mold and then pour Plaster of Paris into that once you pull your helmet out.

Not sure where you would go from there. Maybe shaving it down a bunch...?

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
Is it too big in that it looks like a bobble head, or that it's just too big on the inside? If it's the latter you could probably just pad it like the inside of a bicycle helmet. If it's the former, I got nothin'. Bummer that it's so close. :(

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

It's big enough that it looks a little silly. I have worn it with a padded cap before, and no one has ever remarked on it, but if I wanted to take the costume from 'neat' to 'awesome' it would need to be dealt with.

Maybe I can make a mold of the element, and then cast a copy using something that shrinks in the cold. Then take that outside in the winter and make a mold of it? :psyduck: I should probably just start working on the costume pieces that I know how to handle.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
What if you molded the helmet, then coated the inside of the mold with something to add material before you cast it? You'd almost certainly have to carve down the casting to get the details sharp but it might be easier than working from scratch...

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.
So I just got invited by friends to some con that's happening in Toronto in August. Can someone help me come up with simple-ish costume ideas that aren't terrible? I'm having trouble coming up with something.

I'm a guy, 5'10", 150lbs in shape, and white as all hell. I'd love something sci-fi related, but if someone comes up with something funny or awesome enough, I'll try to find a way.

I have so far considered: The Question, foam-Headcrab zombie, actually getting off my rear end and making my Spidey costume ahead of schedule, commander Keen, and "some guy who doesn't realize he has a Metroid stuck to his back/head". [edit: oh, and I even considered getting some terrible brightly coloured upholstery fabric and going as Don Cherry.)

This is me, by the way:

Willing to consider gender swaps if they are hilarious enough. If you guys can help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Cinnamon Bastard fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 20, 2012

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I think you'd make a pretty fantastic Dr. Horrible :allears:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
If you like Adventure Time, most of the outfits are really easy and it's a tonnnnn of fun to wear!

Grape Juice Vampire
Aug 1, 2009
You could do a really good Riddler. Green thrift store suit, stencil on an assload of question marks with fabric paint. Don Cherry would be pretty loving hilarious, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leg bones
Jan 14, 2011

co-dependent villain
sometimes, I'm a pirate!

edit- photo update

leg bones fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jul 3, 2012