Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Red Robin Hood posted:

So I've gone with Strider. I just cut off one head from the hydra thing and have moved on to find some girl in the woods.

I'm having some trouble killing the bandits I'm running into. Do I need to grind on wolves and goblins before moving on or should I get a different kind of pawn? I've got my girl (mage) and another guy (also mage) that enchant me and heal me.

I tried the same thing with a fighter and two mages. Eventually I picked up a third pawn who was also a fighter and tried again. Instead I went on the mission the game set up for you after that boss fight, hosed around in the destination area a bit and have now gone back for the quest you are having trouble with. My fighter oneshots goblins and some bandits, I've got a fairly high level fighter and strider along with my main pawn, a mage with a number of skills more than she had before.

Also I throw things off cliffs like it is my job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I managed to knock the cyclops in Soulflayer Canyon off the bridge yesterday. Trouble is, one of my pawns was hanging on to his loincloth at the time and went over with him. I tried racing down to the bottom to revive him but couldn't get there in time.

I wouldn't have minded so much but he was the super high level warrior I'd spent a bunch of RC on just 15 minutes earlier :cry:

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Is there anyway for me to 'sex up' my 3 foot tall, old as hell crooked Strider pawn? It's a man. Is there a male equivalent of chain-mail bikinis in here? I have the image in my head of all the lolibait characters walking out of the mist, followed by Stumpy, the sexiest 80 year old fat midget the Rift has ever seen.

Edit: Actually, while I'm here. Is there anything else to spend RC on other than really strong pawns? I know there's a seller somewhere who trades for RC but damned if I can find the bastard.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 19, 2012

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The seller only turns up in the postgame. He also solves your other problem because for 10,000RC he sells an item that lets you totally rename, reconfigure and change the look of you and your pawn.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Pierson posted:

The seller only turns up in the postgame. He also solves your other problem because for 10,000RC he sells an item that lets you totally rename, reconfigure and change the look of you and your pawn.

He's actually there pretty early on. I think once you reach Gran Soren he makes his appearance.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

No the RC vendor is always inside the inn at the encampment.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Did one of you guys take my lil Blazer on a hellish trip through NG+? He just came back decked the hell out with knowledge about tons of poo poo. Thanks if it was one of you!

edit: I forgot to mention all the awesome equipment too. Thanks again neetz

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 19, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
I just had a vision of what I would like from a sequel of Dragon's Dogma.
Capcom's edition of Worlds of Ultima: The Savage Empire.
(Dino's Dogma?)

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

I managed to knock the cyclops in Soulflayer Canyon off the bridge yesterday. Trouble is, one of my pawns was hanging on to his loincloth at the time and went over with him. I tried racing down to the bottom to revive him but couldn't get there in time.

I wouldn't have minded so much but he was the super high level warrior I'd spent a bunch of RC on just 15 minutes earlier :cry:

I killed the cyclops there in three arrow shot :smug: Dude was napping when I got to the bridge, I had to kill him

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

davidHalestorm posted:

I killed the cyclops there in three arrow shot :smug: Dude was napping when I got to the bridge, I had to kill him

Yeah he seemed really weak. I put a ... what's that Ranger's sniper shot called? Comet shot? Into his eye and knocked pretty much an entire life bar off him. Then he charged, the warrior jumped on his back and he went over the edge of the bridge.

Bye bye 2900 RC.

By the way, what dictates how much RC my pawns return with? Is it some kind of function of how much they paid to hire him or does a pawn accumulate RC while playing in someone else's game?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah he seemed really weak. I put a ... what's that Ranger's sniper shot called? Comet shot? Into his eye and knocked pretty much an entire life bar off him. Then he charged, the warrior jumped on his back and he went over the edge of the bridge.

Bye bye 2900 RC.

By the way, what dictates how much RC my pawns return with? Is it some kind of function of how much they paid to hire him or does a pawn accumulate RC while playing in someone else's game?

That happened to me at the Watergod's Temple. I tried running past it, one of the Pawns I hired tried to jump on its back, it went careening off the edge to a good 50-foot drop into water and died. I don't even think I got the experience for it :saddowns:

Also, let me know if any of you use my Pawn on the 360 (gametag RaptusRegaltier). She's a Lvl 27-ish Ranger called Kaine right now, but I'm thinking of getting her into Assassin for a while. I like having the ranged support while I flatten everything with a sword the size of a two-man canoe, but she really needs some monster/quest knowledge to back me up.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've beaten the evil eye and arch-hydra, and cutting wind and advanced trigger aren't quite cutting it any more (:v:). Is the dagger's poison skill combined with the bonus poison damage attribute strong enough to use, or do most enemies in there resist poison?

e: Seems like I missed a few quests by going from Deny Salvation through to the Final Battle. Besides Duchess in Distress what else was there?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Jun 19, 2012

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So apparently my save data was corrupted... Well gently caress, guess I get to start all over again. Maybe I'll roll Strider/Warrior this time instead of Warrior/Warrior.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

That happened to me at the Watergod's Temple. I tried running past it, one of the Pawns I hired tried to jump on its back, it went careening off the edge to a good 50-foot drop into water and died. I don't even think I got the experience for it :saddowns:

Also, let me know if any of you use my Pawn on the 360 (gametag RaptusRegaltier). She's a Lvl 27-ish Ranger called Kaine right now, but I'm thinking of getting her into Assassin for a while. I like having the ranged support while I flatten everything with a sword the size of a two-man canoe, but she really needs some monster/quest knowledge to back me up.

Uh, you can't have mixed classes for your pawns, unfortunately. So, no Magick Archer, Mystic Knight, or Assassin. At least not in the PS3, is it different in the Xbox?

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Also, let me know if any of you use my Pawn on the 360 (gametag RaptusRegaltier). She's a Lvl 27-ish Ranger called Kaine

You had me at a Nier reference. :v:

If it's quest knowledge you want, I'll use her for the what few quests I have remaining, but I'm actually toward the very end of the game of my second run, gunning for The Hero, so there aren't very many left.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: Seems like I missed a few quests by going from Deny Salvation through to the Final Battle. Besides Duchess in Distress what else was there?

The guide from earlier in the thread says you missed Madeline's Bad Business and Ser Max's Rise of the Fallen. Plus, any amount of the misc quests.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is magic cannon supposed to do poo poo damage against cyclopses? Because it does.

It's already been addressed, but last night I thunder-enchanted myself, laid down 3 magic cannons, and melted a Cyclops before the "Quest Start!" music finished, so the "Quest Finished!" music started playing over top of it. So no, the answer is no, it is not supposed to do poo poo damage.

:siren: Actually, a question regarding MK:

Does the magic strength of my shield dictate how strong my enchantments are? Does it factor at all in to my magic cannons? I'm a lifetime warrior/ranger rocking a 500/0 phys/magic bludgeoning implement, and my magic stuff isn't suffering at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

likecnsnnts posted:

The guide from earlier in the thread says you missed Madeline's Bad Business and Ser Max's Rise of the Fallen. Plus, any amount of the misc quests.

Oh good, that's only one I missed then. I got through Bad Business and found Madeleine at the inn after the credits rolled and did Rise of the Fallen, but didn't think either were tied to plot progression. I missed virtually all the special ones and never fought the metal golem or hydra too.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

notZaar posted:

What's so good about reset? It seems like a very pricey cancel, losing 1 of your 3 weapon skills.

Instant Reset is insanely good, as it can be used while attacked, so it's a cancel/burst button. Reset is also good, because reset+instant dodge rolling gets you out of a lot of poo poo. But with instant reset you can ignore being staggered or any form of hitstun really. Hell even when you are sent flying in the air you can instant reset to get back to default state. You'll never have to be worried about being stuck in a hundred kisses animation ever either. It'll also release from monsters instantly which can be useful at times.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

You can't resolve this until post-game. Yeah it's dumb.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Rascyc posted:

You can't resolve this until post-game. Yeah it's dumb.

Oh. I might as well take a break and go gather the quests at the encampment and Cassardis (if any) then. I could use a bit more cash, but with no additional weapons/armor to sell I'm starting to run low. At least my pawns are finally using the items I hand them.

Red Robin Hood
Jun 24, 2008

Buglord

Der Shovel posted:

Get a third pawn, a warrior, to meat shield for you. As high a level as you can afford with your RC. Those fights in the forest early on in the game are a motherfucking bitch and nearly put me off the game for good. Most bandits go down pretty easy, but those shield bearing super bandits take like zero damage from strider shots, a couple if you're fire enchanted.

The good news is that if you manage to power through (hug the canyon wall as you push south) the rest of the quest is a piece of piss. But I'd run to Gran Soren and back a couple of times to kill the bandits and poo poo for exp. Also from the way you phrased it you haven't done the quest to go into Gran Soren yet so do that, then think about coming back for forest girl. She's not going anywhere.

I'll try the third pawn and figure out what Gran Soren is after work today ;)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Red Robin Hood posted:

It's the main city in the game. The place where you find trainers, vendors and all that good stuff. Trying to get there ought to be a priority just so you can buy a decent set of weapons and train new skills. After that you'll immediately be much more capable. But the start is rough. Someone described the game's difficulty curve really aptly as a difficulty cliff. It feels almost unfair at the start, but then you suddenly find yourself cruising along smoothly.

If you haven't been to Gran Soren yet, you can get there by talking to the commander of the encampment (the place where you fought the hydra), accepting the quest to deliver the hydra head and then doing it.

The missing forest woman quest is still completable after that, as is the well dungeon in the starting village and all that fun stuff.

Heh, thinking about that starting dungeon makes me all nostalgic. I remember the first time I clambered down there and absolutely got my rear end handed to me by some god drat saurians. Now I mow them down by the dozen. Oh memories!

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Der Shovel posted:

Heh, thinking about that starting dungeon makes me all nostalgic. I remember the first time I clambered down there and absolutely got my rear end handed to me by some god drat saurians. Now I mow them down by the dozen. Oh memories!

When I first dropped into that dungeon, I laughed because I thought the rats near the beginning were going to be the main enemies, like in so many other RPGs. Then I got speared through the gut by saurians. Those buggers are super bulky until you :byodood: "SEVER THE TAIL!!!"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Millions posted:

When I first dropped into that dungeon, I laughed because I thought the rats near the beginning were going to be the main enemies, like in so many other RPGs. Then I got speared through the gut by saurians. Those buggers are super bulky until you :byodood: "SEVER THE TAIL!!!"

I still haven't forgiven my pawns for suggesting I jump down a cliff and avoid some bandits. It was like that dungeon all over again.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

There's a chest I wasn't able to get when I revisited that initial dungeon again at end-game: After you jump down into the place where the pawns were summoned in the intro, you go up some stairs to an overlook. If you climb the walls there are some chests you can drop to, but there's also one that is up and across that I'm pretty sure you can't get to without double-jumping (at least I never made it). Anyone else get to it? Is it something awesome that I'll regret not getting, or can I safely forget about it?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Things are way more fun now that I'm highish level and kicking rear end. I really really hate how every single time you get ready to fight a monster for the first time, it tends to run away half way through the fight though.

Edit; Slaying my first drake was a great moment though.

Nemesis Of Moles fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 19, 2012

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, it can be a real bear getting gryphons to come down for a scrap. You sometimes hear them overhead, and scramble for something to kill so you can lure it down, and sometimes that won't be enough.

Mr. Self Destruct
Jan 1, 2008

lary

Bakalakadaka posted:

It should appear in your inventory, but you can only use it while you're in the seneschal's chamber. If its not in your inventory (it's a tool) then something might be broken.

I haven't gone back and looked for it again but I'm beginning to fear something is indeed broken. Ah well I'll probably just make a new character and start right the gently caress over if that's the case, I played basically the whole game as a fighter with a tiny little excursion as an assassin to try it out as well as missing a ton of quests. I'm guessing NG+ is really easy anyways since people seem to be saying the enemies don't get any stronger?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I started my mystic knight out as a fighter then moved to warrior then to mystic knight, which means he's a defensive and physical damage powerhouse but his magic cannon and ruinous sigil have suffered for it. Will the magic attack stats I gain from levelling as mystic knight bring them up to a decent level of damage or do I need to go sorceror?

edit: I was kind of annoyed today, I was really loving up the quest griffon and I had it down to 3/4 of a bar of life and it was lying on the ground, on fire, with a ruinous sigil hitting it in the face when it suddenly teleports into the air and stops being on fire and flies off. I was hoping to kill it and skip the slog to bluemoon tower.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jun 19, 2012

neetz
Mar 28, 2010

likecnsnnts posted:

:siren: Actually, a question regarding MK:

Does the magic strength of my shield dictate how strong my enchantments are? Does it factor at all in to my magic cannons? I'm a lifetime warrior/ranger rocking a 500/0 phys/magic bludgeoning implement, and my magic stuff isn't suffering at all.

This is something I always wanted to know too but never found a solid answer. From what I understand (or guessed, more accurately) the shield's magic will determine the strength of your weapon enchantment and the strength of the weapon enchantment will determine the strength of the Cannon and Sigil. So yeah, having an awesome shield like the Dark Buckler and enchanting yourself will balance out a lower magic stat.

Given enhancements override any innate ones on weapons (I think!) it would seem to be better to carry a really strong physical mace (Dragon's Presence is the strongest, I believe) and just keep on enchanting. Best of both worlds and makes great use of your already high strength.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Damnit, loading my savegame made my Xbox freeze so now I have to start over again :negative:

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Marogareh posted:

Sucks it's just another pallette swap of another armor that's been polished with turtle wax and it looks like the only dlc worth getting is the jester outfit and eyepatch.

There's an eyepatch DLC?! poo poo, that was all I was missing on my Cohen the Barbarian guy and it just didn't look right without it.

I dunno how so many of you are missing the whole Everfall being a loop thing, did you guys skip the cutscene when you're on the edge with the looping harpies and the whole looking at the bottom and seeing yourself?

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Lotish posted:

There's a chest I wasn't able to get when I revisited that initial dungeon again at end-game: After you jump down into the place where the pawns were summoned in the intro, you go up some stairs to an overlook. If you climb the walls there are some chests you can drop to, but there's also one that is up and across that I'm pretty sure you can't get to without double-jumping (at least I never made it). Anyone else get to it? Is it something awesome that I'll regret not getting, or can I safely forget about it?

I tried for 20 minutes to get to that one on my warrior, if you're talking about the one in the place with columns. I guess you have to use double jump or maybe even levitate because it looks like it might be too far for double jump.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

There's a chest behind a locked portcullis in the frontier cavern arena area, and I have no idea how to get to it. I tried getting the cyclops to smash the gate but it didn't work at all.

fullTimeLurker
Nov 10, 2010

FirstPersonShitter posted:

There's a chest behind a locked portcullis in the frontier cavern arena area, and I have no idea how to get to it. I tried getting the cyclops to smash the gate but it didn't work at all.

Can't get that till post game

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

davidHalestorm posted:

The funniest thing that ever happened in my game was when a cyclops hopped off the cliff side when he does that hopping stuff. I got the exp for it too.

ProfessorGroove
Jun 10, 2006

by Ion Helmet

RBA Starblade posted:

I've beaten the evil eye and arch-hydra, and cutting wind and advanced trigger aren't quite cutting it any more (:v:). Is the dagger's poison skill combined with the bonus poison damage attribute strong enough to use, or do most enemies in there resist poison?

Spider's Bite and snakebite do a lot of damage and knockdown on their own, the poison is just the icing on the cake. The shoddy wiki says the augment gives x3 poison damage and its definitely noticeable. Undead it seems resist poison but that's about it. On most boss creatures through its still best just to go for the weak point with hundred kisses or fivefold arrow.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Red Robin Hood posted:

If you friend me, my pawn should help get you through early game fairly easy without draining your RC. She's a fighter with all the augments from it and warrior for taking hits, although I might turn her back into a warrior because the extra damage from her having a two-hander is nice. She's also challenger/scather which has been very nice to me for making sure she keeps things on her and stays aggressive the whole fight, and she'll put bandits and goblins in choke holds like no ones business. Only level 36ish, but that's more than enough to deal with the early game stuff. I'm on the doc, but my PSN name is DesertBuss if you don't want to dig through that.

I guess that only helps if you're playing it on PS3, I didn't see what system you were using.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

ExCruceLeo posted:

I tried for 20 minutes to get to that one on my warrior, if you're talking about the one in the place with columns. I guess you have to use double jump or maybe even levitate because it looks like it might be too far for double jump.

Yep, that's the one I meant, and I was a warrior too. It looks like a real pain to get, but I'm pretty sure a double jump could do it. I almost felt like a running start with any class might be able to snag the edge and climb up, but the only platform with enough height isn't big enough to get a run off of.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012
I lost the main quest line pretty early and am not sure where to pick it up again. I think it was after running out of the dungeon in Gran Soren, just not really sure where to go from there.

Anyone know where I should be headed? I checked a Wiki on the game but didn't recognize the names they were referring to (haven't been paying the closest attention to the story admittedly).

I've been doing random stuff and just exploring, but at this point I need some direction to keep from losing interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Hey, what's a good anti-ogre strategy? My character was a female sorcerer, but despite the guide saying they were weak to magic, I barely put a dent into them. I can kill them, but only one at a time and after about five minutes of frantic struggle/running. What am I doing wrong?

• Locked thread