Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Here's my bronze match from the regional ADCC, and I'd love some feedback.
Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrmC3SDNYkg
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NWg9kCGBac

ADCC rules, so points start after 5 minutes.

Not as active in going for a submission as I wished I'd been, but with a busted knee from a heelhock in the match before, I didn't really want to make it any more complicated than it had to be, and I didn't want to risk giving up my position for the points at halftime until I knew I could do it safely. Not the most exciting way to win, but welp, someone's gotta be John Fitch.
I'm pretty happy with the half guard sweep at 2:25, and when he locks me up in an arm triangle on 2:40, the reason I'm just lying still is because the dude's just squeezing the gently caress out of my chin while I can breathe just fine.
Oh, at 4:40, I pause the match because I've got my heel dug nice and deep into his buttcrack. It feels like a pretty solid hook all things considered, but there's such a thing as being a gentleman about manhugging.
Oh, and Grab Your Foot ought to be happy about 6:20.

I really need to do something about my rear naked chokes, because I'm embarrassingly bad about sinking it in, as can be seen in this video. I think I'm too hesitant to risk my over-under grip.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Is your knee going to require surgery? Leg attacks are probably the scariest thing about grappling.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Is your knee going to require surgery? Leg attacks are probably the scariest thing about grappling.

No, I think it'll be fine. I tapped to the heelhook the instant I could feel the mixed feeling of paper ripping and this rippling popping feeling. I was limping from saturday to yesterday, but I iced, tiger balsamed and put on a tight neoprene knee supporter immediately afterwards, and I think that helped. I can walk pretty much pain free now, so I'm hoping for a couple of weeks.

Edit:

Subparr posted:

*shudder* Are you going to go to the Dr? Nothing worse than thinking you're good, starting to train again and then one weird slip your knee moves how it shouldn't.

I'll feel it out. I've experienced the same feeling before by crossing my legs when I have backmount, and getting them locked up (don't do it, kids!), and that injury went away by itself after a month or so, and this time around it feels a bit less severe.

I actually love leglocks, and they're usually my go to technique. Guess I'll have to start defending them like normal people do, too. Learning as I go!

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 19, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Straight knee bars don't bother me. But gently caress any other joint locks below the waist.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

Bohemian Nights posted:

No, I think it'll be fine. I tapped to the heelhook the instant I could feel the mixed feeling of paper ripping and this rippling popping feeling. I was limping from saturday to yesterday, but I iced, tiger balsamed and put on a tight neoprene knee supporter immediately afterwards, and I think that helped. I can walk pretty much pain free now, so I'm hoping for a couple of weeks.

*shudder* Are you going to go to the Dr? Nothing worse than thinking you're good, starting to train again and then one weird slip your knee moves how it shouldn't.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Part of the reason leg attacks terrify me is that my gym has basically no one with any leg game. I mean, Mark Schultz showed us some good heel hook / Achilles lock attacks when he was in town and one of our guys has been tapping everyone with a kimura-into-kneebar he learned in judo(!?), but everything else is some cargo-cult youtube-ninja poo poo.

We've got the no-gi state championship in September, so I guess I know what we've got to focus on for the next three months. :sigh:

e: BN, you should really get checked out. It's a quick test by your doctor to see if you've a tear in your knee, and it's better to find out there than it is to find out when you knee buckles going down the stairs.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I'm not really sure if it's a 'quick test' because the doc was only able to diagnose my torn meniscus after an MRI.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

origami posted:

I'm not really sure if it's a 'quick test' because the doc was only able to diagnose my torn meniscus after an MRI.

Ligaments are a much easier diagnosis, and tend to have more impact on joint stability.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Not as active in going for a submission as I wished I'd been, but with a busted knee from a heelhock in the match before, I didn't really want to make it any more complicated than it had to be, and I didn't want to risk giving up my position for the points at halftime until I knew I could do it safely. Not the most exciting way to win, but welp, someone's gotta be John Fitch.
I'm pretty happy with the half guard sweep at 2:25, and when he locks me up in an arm triangle on 2:40, the reason I'm just lying still is because the dude's just squeezing the gently caress out of my chin while I can breathe just fine.
Oh, at 4:40, I pause the match because I've got my heel dug nice and deep into his buttcrack. It feels like a pretty solid hook all things considered, but there's such a thing as being a gentleman about manhugging.

I really need to do something about my rear naked chokes, because I'm embarrassingly bad about sinking it in, as can be seen in this video. I think I'm too hesitant to risk my over-under grip.

Good stuff, nice fight. Some thoughts: Don't just sit on your rear end when it starts man, at least TRY a throw (yoko tomoe nage would have been good there). Also, your hips froze whenever you got him in your fullguard, which is where they should be super active. For example, at :23 where he's using his elbow to keep your arm away from your body, you can just sweep in that direction and make him post, or thread past his arm and underhook- you had to work really hard to force his hand down and it just telegraphed the leg triangle anyway. And you seemed unsure of where to put your left hand besides the neck (I see you flailing at :33). If it was controlling his right arm you would have been able to flow into an omoplata or kimura on that side after the triangle was blocked. Finally, I think you'd really benefit from some s-mount drills.

Grab Your Foot!
Apr 24, 2007

The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.
Nicely done Bohemian Nights, as a fellow does-gently caress-all-with-mount guy I don't think you were overly passive on top, your opponent was content to keep his elbows tucked and to attempt zero meaningful escapes for a while there and if you want to do that while mounted you can go ahead and remain mounted. I mostly look for guillotines, arm triangles and north south chokes from mount and occasionally feel mildly embarrassed for someone when they let me set up a triangle from mount.

Other guy did seem to have an appropriate fondness for leg locks for a spats wearing guy but nothing looked terribly dangerous. Also he was a mess doing anything but trying to heel hook you from one leg x from the bottom so if you can wrestle at all I'd not pull guard so immediately.

As for feedback I'd prefer to have an underhook when working from half guard, which you didn't seem to be looking for. There were a couple of instances early in the match where it looked like you could look to work some butterfly guard or one leg x guard and you seemed to generally prefer looking to regain full guard. That's not a problem but again absolutely the opposite of my own preferences because my guard is really awful, what's your open guard game based around?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

A few thoughts -

If you're going to push his arms down while in mount like at 4:27, don't do it with a flared elbow - posture up a little, glue your elbow to your ribs and then drive your weight down. It puts your body weight being your hand instead of just trying to use arm muscle.

Good sweep from the half guard, and good awareness of your leg positioning when he was attacking with leglocks.

Triangling your legs in closed guard kills your hip movement and thus severely limits your offense. You should really only do it if you're up on points and stalling for time, which you weren't.

When you're body-triangling from the back, try not to let him turn on his side so that your feet are against the ground - you want him turned on the other side, so that your knee is against the ground. It didn't wind up mattering in this match, but against a better guy it will.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Thoguh posted:

With last night's matches, the U.S. Olympic Wrestling Team is set for August. The US has qualified at every weight for the men and four weights for the women.

Men's Freestyle:
55KG: Sam Hazewinkel
60KG: Colemann Scott
66KG: Jared Frayer
74KG: Jordan Burroughs
84KG: Jake Herbert
96KG: Jake Varner
120KG: Tervel Dlagnev

Women's Freestyle:
48KG: Clarissa Chun
55KG: Kelsey Campbell
63KG: Elena Pirozhkova
72KG: Stephany Lee

Greco-Roman:
55KG: Spenser Mango
60KG: Ellis Coleman
66KG: Justin Lester
74KG: Ben Provisor
84KG: Chas Betts
120KG: Dremiel Byers

USA Judo has qualified Judoka at 5 weights.

Men's 73KG: Nick Pelpopolo
Men's 81KG: Travis Stevens
Men's 100KG: Kyle Vashkulat
Women's 57KG: Marti Malloy
Women's 78KG: Kayla Harrison

At some point before the Olympics I'll post a write-up and/or some links to all the US wrestlers and Judoka that will be competing.

how do weigh ins work for Olympics, Day of or day before?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

74KG: Jordan Burroughs is going to win the gold.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry
Thank you so much for your feedback!

CivilDisobedience: You're absolutely right about the triangle being telegraphed, and I need to look at my habit of grabbing people's neck to break their posture. I'm sure I would be much better served by going for an underhook instead.
I love the s-guard, so I might as well look into the s-mount-- it's not a position I've been too heavily invested in, but I'm looking to somehow reinvent my game, so I'll give it a go!

Grab Your Foot!:
From the way you describe it, your top game is pretty much identical to my game when I'm comfortably flowing, which I never really feel like I am in this match. Most of my solid submissions aside from leg locks are from the bottom, but I've been trying to change that for years- I just haven't gotten quite past the control bit yet.

Funny thing about the other guy going for leg locks; while he might just have seen the opportunity for the leg lock, I'd also been talking to him 10 minutes prior telling him about how I hosed up my knee (not the smartest move on my part!), so he might have been going for the kobra kai sweep the leg approach.
As for the underhook, yeah, I'm definitely going to start to look for that more in general, and I always do when I go for my butterfly sweep, which is one of my go-to moves.

My open guard is usually based around the butterfly or S-guard, but the latter is pretty much something that has grown by itself and might be more of a detriment than a boon, and I'm not even sure if that's the right name for it, but I sure do love me some knee shields and scissor sweeps from it.
As for this match, I felt more comfortable (less terrified) going for the closed guard until I had a feel of the opponent, but in an ideal world I'd have probably worked my butterflies a lot more, or better yet, tried to take him down. I was really lucky the dude was so eager to engage me and let me tie him up so easily, or the match would have gone very differently.

Fatherdog:
For someone with arms as tiny as mine, you'd think I'd be better at using body mechanics instead of trying to muscle things out, but you're absolutely right about driving my weight down instead of just using arm.
I wasn't up on points when I leg triangled, but it was several minutes left until they started counting points at all, so I feel like buying some time there wasn't the worst thing I could have done, but I should definitely have tried to work some kind of sweep instead of locking him up- but squeezing the body triangle (from the back, at least) paid dividends later on when he ended up being completely exhausted from my constant pressure.

I should definitely have flipped him over to the other side, and I do try it a few times, but with the body triangle locked up, I found him hard to move over, and I was reluctant to go back to my hooks- but I also felt like the position was pretty solid with my foot planted on the ground, and more importantly at that moment, it was pain free for my knee :v:

Thanks again for the feedback and criticism! I've got a lot to work on, and I'm going to try to be more celebral about my game.

Apparently there was a photographer at the event.

A perfectly captured picture of me making the wrong decision on attack or defense. Not captured: Tapping five seconds later. I don't really feel too bad about this loss, because more than any other it taught me a lesson about not being a loving idiot, and I think I'll remember this situation longer than any other lesson I've learned in this competition:

Hanging Hugging on for dear life and squeezing the will to live out of a guy twice as handsome as me. Not a bad way to spend saturday morning, all things considered.

E; Also, Jon Olav Einemo was there and broke down the ADCC rules.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 20, 2012

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BlindSite posted:

how do weigh ins work for Olympics, Day of or day before?

The evening before. Same for Judo.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Can anyone name the move that Chael does at :51 in this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhI1t6PvXUg

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal

huh posted:

Dan Henderson calls that move, 'Wrestling.'

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

huh posted:

I've only heard that general class of move called a "shuck". No idea what the specific name would be, if it has one at all.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

huh posted:

Looks like a slideby, although you see that more from a collar and elbow tie.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

http://po.st/AoQ5pN

Rener Gracie rolling with a purple belt with both of his hands tied. The ankle pick near the end is awesome.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Does anyone here do sandbag training as a form of conditioning? I'm thinking of buying a duffel bag at the surplus store and some builder sand to make my own. I think it would be awesome for grip and that the type of strength and conditionning it would build would be great to complement my regular resistance training for judo and bjj.

If anyone else does it, do you have a list of exercises that would be great? Or even better a link to a video of a routine that works great for you if you took it from youtube?

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

KingColliwog posted:

Does anyone here do sandbag training as a form of conditioning? I'm thinking of buying a duffel bag at the surplus store and some builder sand to make my own. I think it would be awesome for grip and that the type of strength and conditionning it would build would be great to complement my regular resistance training for judo and bjj.

If anyone else does it, do you have a list of exercises that would be great? Or even better a link to a video of a routine that works great for you if you took it from youtube?

Turkish getups with a sandbag are...fun. Try these along with doing 400-800m of running for a quick 20m workout. Something like 20 TGU, 400m sprint, 15 TGU, 400m sprint, 10 TGU, 400m sprint, 5 TGU, 800m sprint. There is other stuff you can do but this is a quick and easy conditioning workout.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

the yellow dart posted:

Turkish getups with a sandbag are...fun. Try these along with doing 400-800m of running for a quick 20m workout. Something like 20 TGU, 400m sprint, 15 TGU, 400m sprint, 10 TGU, 400m sprint, 5 TGU, 800m sprint. There is other stuff you can do but this is a quick and easy conditioning workout.

nice, just wondering though. isn't running with weights horrible for your knees?

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I don't think you're supposed to run with the bag. Weighted sprints are the poo poo if you want to ruin your hips and movement patterns.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
As someone just getting over knee surgery the idea of weighted sprints sounds like pretty much the worst thing.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I think he is saying run then lift then run. Farmer carriers are good too: just pick up the bag and walk it however many feet you want. Don't run just carry it in your arms.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Xguard86 posted:

I think he is saying run then lift then run. Farmer carriers are good too: just pick up the bag and walk it however many feet you want. Don't run just carry it in your arms.

hahaha, yeah this would make more sense!!

Yeah so I think I have a good pool of exercises to do now. I just bought the duffel bag and will be getting the sand and other stuff I need to fill the bag later today. I'll try the thing at the end of my shift tonight and tell you guys how it went. Thanks

Super Joe
Jun 22, 2012

I'm sorry for all the trouble I've caused.
How useful are wrist locks really? I ask because I've never seen one used in MMA and I don't think I've seen one used in grappling competitions either (although it can be hard to tell what submission ended a match in youtube videos).

Also, does a gi's color make any difference when it comes to heat retention? I would imagine that dark gis get a lot hotter but you never know.

AZCollins
Feb 4, 2004

Meanderthal
Wrist locks are like anything else. They work in certain situations, but I'd say they are a bit more useful in the gi. Almost every time I've been wrist locked it's been because of a grip I had on another person's jacket.

I don't find darker gis to retain more heat. I doubt it makes any difference unless you were training in the sun.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You won't see them in MMA because you'd have to grab the glove for most of them. I've seen matches end with a wristlock at some competitions I've been to but they're not at all common

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

Xguard86 posted:

Yes don't run with the bag, do the get ups, put bag down, then run. Farmer's carries are great with sandbags also, along with any variety of squat, clean, weighted crunches, etc.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
I'm the last person to ask but hopefully someone will tell me if and how I'm wrong.

My impression had been that wristlocks are often more about the threat than the execution. They're present in a huge number of positions, and often people don't see them coming. But in many cases they seem relatively easy to escape because your opponent can move a lot of different ways (both shoulder and elbow, as opposed to an armbar). So you would threaten them to keep your opponent off guard, or make him hesitant about extending his arms for collar grips, or stuff like that?

Though of course there are so many wristlock setups that it's probably hard to generalize.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
the only fight i ever won was in like 7th grade when this dude punched me and i did that steven seagal move where i grabbed his hand and basically did a little pirouette.

based on that i would say that wristlocks are extremely effective.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wristlocks often have very precise areas between "whats this dude doing holding my hand" and "OH gently caress, JESUS MY ARM!!!"

I used to think they were a big loving joke till I went to a seminar and had a 6th dan Hapkido black belt show me through some wrist locks. Some of those locks hurt more than anything I've had put on me in BJJ. Some of their guys were really quick to get them on even during sparring. Even rolling with them it was hard to get and maintain wrist control.

Even he said most of the time people don't get how effective they can be because they've either had a poo poo coach doing a bad demo or they see a youtube video, try it on their buddies, don't do it right and fail to get a reaction.

I'm flexible as all get out too.

swagger like us
Oct 27, 2005

Don't mind me. We must protect rapists and misogynists from harm. If they're innocent they must not be named. Surely they'll never harm their sleeping, female patients. Watch me defend this in great detail. I am not a mens rights activist either.
some wristlocks are just available, as in they arent something you aim for. For example, Royce Gracie in an MMA fight had an omoplata on someone (can't remember who), couldn't finish it because the guy's shoulders were too big, so he just finished it with a wristlock. I mean, that looks like an omoplata finish but its technically not.

Also they come available in triangle positions, and in fighting for the armbar. Its nice thing to be aware of, but they're hard to hit because you need the position, and usually there are higher percentage moves to hit then the wristlock.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008

Super Joe posted:

How useful are wrist locks really? I ask because I've never seen one used in MMA and I don't think I've seen one used in grappling competitions either (although it can be hard to tell what submission ended a match in youtube videos).

Also, does a gi's color make any difference when it comes to heat retention? I would imagine that dark gis get a lot hotter but you never know.

Wrist locks are actually very effective, but you shouldn't think of them as subs. Subs are put on slowly to cause an opponent to feel pain and submit before injury, but wrist locks are most effective as control positions and breaks.

Hapkido/aikido practitioners often throw using wristlocks, but people misunderstand: those moves are designed to break wrists, they don't expect opponents to have the presence of mind to take a fall in a real fight, because the locks don't really hurt so the injury comes as a surprise.

In ground grappling they're effective for undermining the strength people get from their posture. For example, when you get to that point that your kimura or arm bar is locked in, but they're still clenching so hard that you can't finish the sub, flexing the wrist can be an easy way to take the strength out of their arm/elbow.

As far as gi color, I haven't noticed any significant difference between white, blue, and black. Darker colors retain more heat from light sources, but I don't think that makes a big difference in grappling.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Super Joe posted:

The weave makes the difference in heat, my double weave is brutal to train in. Unless you're outside in the sun the color will not make a difference. The type of weave and weight of the gi will though.

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
Yeah in principle the white cloth would emit a little more heat even in the shade, but in reality if you're not in direct sunlight I have to think it's all about the air circulation. Open up your gi and fan some cool air in, then tie it back up. It's not so bad for a moment when it's against your skin, because the gi itself isn't so hot; that's not the issue (although admittedly mine is white). But wait a couple seconds and it'll be a sauna again.

McNerd fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 29, 2012

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

McNerd posted:

I'm the last person to ask but hopefully someone will tell me if and how I'm wrong.

My impression had been that wristlocks are often more about the threat than the execution. They're present in a huge number of positions, and often people don't see them coming. But in many cases they seem relatively easy to escape because your opponent can move a lot of different ways (both shoulder and elbow, as opposed to an armbar). So you would threaten them to keep your opponent off guard, or make him hesitant about extending his arms for collar grips, or stuff like that?

Though of course there are so many wristlock setups that it's probably hard to generalize.

This is exactly how my instructor uses wristlocks. It's rarely a submission but trying to escape one usually leads to bad things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

the yellow dart posted:

Yes don't run with the bag, do the get ups, put bag down, then run. Farmer's carries are great with sandbags also, along with any variety of squat, clean, weighted crunches, etc.

gently caress this poo poo... I filled my (too huge) duffel bag with about 70 pounds (may be more, it was wet and I didn't weight it. Bag said 70 pounds) of sand and that thing is stupid. drat, I feel like I will have a nice love/hate relationship with that canvas bag. At the very least it will give me great core strength. Only played around with the bag a little bit to see how it was since I already had a big lifting day and was tired, but this thing is going to kick my rear end.