Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

mediaphage posted:

I doubt it. My Air has no sleeping LED lights and I have never had any sort of concern. Plus that pulsating is creepy and annoying in a dark room. I am pro (:haw:) no LED indicators.

I guess without a spinning HD and the proc clocking if it gets hot really means it doesn't matter. Makes sense I guess. This thing is still amazing and the thinner profile means my wrists aren't digging into the edge as much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Do I understand it correctly, that the issues raised a few pages ago with lag and tearing on the demo units of the MBPR aren't visible with the ones people already reveived? Especially 1680x1050 is important for me, since that's a resolution I see me using the laptop quite often.

Also, has anyone who uses Citrix to log in to Windows servers received an MBPR? How well does it work, and in what resolution? That's also something that I will have to do regularly.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Citrix View has some reported issues with Safari in mountain lion, but they're on the "we know" list and are being looked at. Some people experience citrix app crashes or the inability to connect at all.

e: for the record I stopped by the fruit stand to check out the display MBPRs since I'm still waiting for mine to ship and they did not suffer from the jittery laggy slideshow effect other people have said.

Maybe apple just pushed some bad images to a few store demos.

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 19, 2012

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Decius posted:

Do I understand it correctly, that the issues raised a few pages ago with lag and tearing on the demo units of the MBPR aren't visible with the ones people already reveived? Especially 1680x1050 is important for me, since that's a resolution I see me using the laptop quite often.

Also, has anyone who uses Citrix to log in to Windows servers received an MBPR? How well does it work, and in what resolution? That's also something that I will have to do regularly.

I have been pooping around the net with the highest res and I haven't noticed anything of the sort even on multiple monitors and using the built-in display. I think it is due to the image loaded on those guys or something.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

We just got the 27" in December

My point was that you should take good care of the iMac when disassembling it, especially around the power supply.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The lastest Air models are kind of a minor revision, right? I'm thinking it might be wise to replace my 2009 13" MBP with a 2011 Air to save a little money.

I guess the comedy option is some manner of ultrabook running Linux, but they all get such lousy reviews.

Biggest improvement is getting much stronger integrated video if you are interested in light gaming but yes it's not a massive improvement over Sandy Bridge.

Also has USB 3.0 which brings in many improvements such as being able sleep charge using the laptop battery for connected devices and also higher current output for charging via USB.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Decius posted:

If graphics performance is important to you, I'd wait - that'll probably be the thing they tout the most on the next revision.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Bob Morales posted:

If graphics performance is important to you, I'd wait - that'll probably be the thing they tout the most on the next revision.

There was a 1.8GB or so update that was online when I got it home that people are claiming resolved the stuttering. I certainly haven't noticed it on my laptop, so I think it's been resolved.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

djkillingspree posted:

There was a 1.8GB or so update that was online when I got it home that people are claiming resolved the stuttering. I certainly haven't noticed it on my laptop, so I think it's been resolved.

Just saw the update myself. That is kinda big.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Are we talking yesterday's ML update? It also added PowerNap support.

Unfortunately I went back to Lion again this morning since I still have one little necessary app that won't launch in ML.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Are we talking yesterday's ML update? It also added PowerNap support.

Unfortunately I went back to Lion again this morning since I still have one little necessary app that won't launch in ML.

Nope I'm on Lion, It's a 1.2 GB update for MacBook Pro (Mid 2012).

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Well then nevermind!

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

ptier posted:

Nope I'm on Lion, It's a 1.2 GB update for MacBook Pro (Mid 2012).

Several things (this, the lack of stock in Apple Stores, the delay on the Bootcamp drivers, etc.) makes me wonder if this was a somewhat... abrupt launch.

In other news, totally loving the retina MBP! It seems like with a super high DPI screen like this, it suffers a lot less from running at non-native resolutions in games, too. I was running D3 at 1440x900 and it looked much, much better than D3 running at 1440x900 on my older MBP (hi-res, so it's native res was 1680x1050)

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Pillbug

djkillingspree posted:

Several things (this, the lack of stock in Apple Stores, the delay on the Bootcamp drivers, etc.) makes me wonder if this was a somewhat... abrupt launch.

In other news, totally loving the retina MBP! It seems like with a super high DPI screen like this, it suffers a lot less from running at non-native resolutions in games, too. I was running D3 at 1440x900 and it looked much, much better than D3 running at 1440x900 on my older MBP (hi-res, so it's native res was 1680x1050)

I think the lack of stock is due to they didn't truly know what the demand was going to be. This isn't an iPhone where they know that they will need as many as possible.

The bootcamp drivers are because it isn't and will never be a priority.

The patch, there have been patches days after some previous mac launches, especially with new graphics cards. But there also was an update for the track pad which was interesting as well.

Abrupt and maybe they aren't as up to walking and chewing gum as it seemed, but they are getting there.

Listening to Hypercritical yesterday made the point for me with respect to display res:

"With the Retina display they can get away with murder when messing with the resolution." The pixels are so small it doesn't super matter if the lines are a little blurry.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

djkillingspree posted:

Is there any chance you (or someone else with a retina MBP) would take a few pictures of the screen while running a game at non-native resolutions? I'm curious to know how the image quality holds up at non-native resolutions, and there don't seem to be a lot of pictures of screens (as opposed to screen grabs) floating around the internet.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

So I got my Sonnet Echo Express last Friday and just got to use it yesterday and today. I don't have too many cards to try it with right now, I've just plugged in a 4 port firewire 800 PCIe 1x card. Interestingly, it works perfectly in OSX (including hotplugging) but doesn't work at all in windows. This is exactly the opposite of what is supposed to happen, my only theory on why it works in OSX is that since firewire controllers implement OHCI and in theory theres an Apple TB->FW800 adapter out there I'm using their OHCI drivers.

In windows the card's controllers only show up on one of three reboots and when they do have the little warning sign and the properties window reports that the driver could not start because it did not have enough resources. Brings me back to the days of IRQ conflicts....

As for the Echo Express itself, the build quality is kind of disappointing actually. Its a big chunk of aluminum but the tolerances are pretty miserable. The cover has a lot of trouble sliding on and off and is really hard to get back into its tracks. The PCIe screw/whatever you call it is out of alignment and cards can only go in slightly slanted. In my case this means that the top FW800 port on the card can't be used!

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

mediaphage posted:

The airplane thing is the only thing that gives me pause, really, but I'll probably just live with using a tablet if the guy in front of me leans back.
I've been using my 17" inch on airplanes. I'm looking forward to trying retina 15".

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
in the midsts of all of this crazy Retina stuff -- the 15.4 last year is stupid cheap on craigslist right now and even the 13inch for $929 is killing me right now.

Anyway, am I going to notice a dramatically different bump in speed from my current system? It's an early 08 iMac with 6 gigs of ram and a 2.4ghz c2duo. I do a ton of Lightroom stuff and media streaming and more excel spreadsheets than you could ever imagine. I'm tired of doing excel on tablets and our terrible 1.86ghz windows xp systems at work. Is this gonna be worth it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

nerdrum posted:

in the midsts of all of this crazy Retina stuff -- the 15.4 last year is stupid cheap on craigslist right now and even the 13inch for $929 is killing me right now.

Anyway, am I going to notice a dramatically different bump in speed from my current system? It's an early 08 iMac with 6 gigs of ram and a 2.4ghz c2duo. I do a ton of Lightroom stuff and media streaming and more excel spreadsheets than you could ever imagine. I'm tired of doing excel on tablets and our terrible 1.86ghz windows xp systems at work. Is this gonna be worth it?

gently caress yes.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jun 29, 2012

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

nerdrum posted:

Switching to a SSD is pretty life-changing, and the processor is far more of an upgrade than it may sound.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

etalian posted:

Biggest improvement is getting much stronger integrated video if you are interested in light gaming but yes it's not a massive improvement over Sandy Bridge.

Also has USB 3.0 which brings in many improvements such as being able sleep charge using the laptop battery for connected devices and also higher current output for charging via USB.

Oh, I guess that is pretty good. Tragically, Crusader Kings II doesn't seem to run properly on the Air with OS X drivers, so maybe I could dual boot with a fast external drive.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
So I'm presently shitposting from the refurbished Sandy Bridge MacBook Pro 15", and all I can say is... toasty! I really wonder how improved the thermals of Ivy Bridge are by comparison.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

krooj posted:

So I'm presently shitposting from the refurbished Sandy Bridge MacBook Pro 15", and all I can say is... toasty! I really wonder how improved the thermals of Ivy Bridge are by comparison.

Still hot on the rMBP. :|

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mediaphage posted:

Still hot on the rMBP. :|

If anything it's probably going to be even hotter. Smaller chassis and larger battery. And I read something about Ivy Bridge running hotter.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I want to use a 13" new Air as my main work computer, I think. How much do I need the bump to 8 GB memory? I hope to have this machine a couple years - writing papers, web stuff, notes, some light programming and simulation. Hm, I've kind of talked myself into getting it.

e: The cost of upgrading is about $190 because I'll be paying sales tax on an apple direct purchase, while I don't think I'd have to pay that on amazon.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 19, 2012

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

If anything it's probably going to be even hotter. Smaller chassis and larger battery. And I read something about Ivy Bridge running hotter.

That's something to keep in mind. I went with this machine over an Ivy-based T430s, on account of Lenovo using the shittiest LCD panels possible for their 16:9 14" spec. Last mac I used was Snow Leopard-based, so I'm kinda peeved at how Lion feels like a half-hearted attempt at shoving tablet-style use cases down my throat.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

krooj posted:

That's something to keep in mind. I went with this machine over an Ivy-based T430s, on account of Lenovo using the shittiest LCD panels possible for their 16:9 14" spec. Last mac I used was Snow Leopard-based, so I'm kinda peeved at how Lion feels like a half-hearted attempt at shoving tablet-style use cases down my throat.

Really? How so? The biggest differences over Snow Leopard are pretty easily ignorable.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Just sprung for a 13in MBA with the 8gigger-bite option. In-store pick up is showing 10 days.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
I see more and more people with high-res macbook pros on the applebus everyday. Played with a few, they feel surprisingly thin. Even though I know the technical specs, it's just so surprising to actually hold one.

The text rendering could use some work on the non-standard sizes. The best is the standard halving of original res. At that size though, it's far superior to any font rendering in other OS.

Are SSDs on laptops just slower than desktops? I thought they would be the same since SSD consumes so little power. But the laptops still feel fairly slow opening stuff like Photoshop or Eclipse compared to my home desktop.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MeruFM posted:

Are SSDs on laptops just slower than desktops? I thought they would be the same since SSD consumes so little power. But the laptops still feel fairly slow opening stuff like Photoshop or Eclipse compared to my home desktop.

You put the same SSD in a laptop as you do a desktop. Desktops are generally faster than laptops, and some laptops might not support SATA III.

Now if you're talking Macs, that depends. The Toshiba SSD in a 64GB Air is going to be slow compared to a 256GB M4 in a desktop, but the new MBP Retina has a very fast drive compared to the old ones:

And it's very fast compared to even other SSD's you can buy from NewEgg:

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Now if you're talking Macs, that depends. The Toshiba SSD in a 64GB Air is going to be slow compared to a 256GB M4 in a desktop, but the new MBP Retina has a very fast drive compared to the old ones:

Woah-- that's a pretty large improvement over even the Samsung in the old airs. I did not know it was that significant.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

Shmoogy posted:

Woah-- that's a pretty large improvement over even the Samsung in the old airs. I did not know it was that significant.

on paper it's significant, in use, unless you're moving huge files around, it's a bit less so. Didn't stop people from doing aftermarket SSD's for the air's to get the faster speed before though.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

MrEnigma posted:

on paper it's significant, in use, unless you're moving huge files around, it's a bit less so. Didn't stop people from doing aftermarket SSD's for the air's to get the faster speed before though.

Yeah, test environment benchmarking.

Even with all the data, a lot of things about computers from the consumer POV should still be a "get it and feel it out" thing. Which I would wager is one of the reasons for apple's success.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Sandforce-based Air upgrade from OWC is even faster:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Really? How so? The biggest differences over Snow Leopard are pretty easily ignorable.

True, although being a developer myself, I am still annoyed that they wasted time on those features rather than actually improving on more fundamental parts of the OS or introducing a more compelling product.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Not surprising. I expected them to upgrade from Samsung 470s to 830s.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

krooj posted:

True, although being a developer myself, I am still annoyed that they wasted time on those features rather than actually improving on more fundamental parts of the OS or introducing a more compelling product.

What, like all of these?
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/9/

Pages 9 through 14. (As an aside, I hadn't realised quite how bad this new Ars layout was until now)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Neurophonic posted:

What, like all of these?
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2011/07/mac-os-x-10-7/9/

Pages 9 through 14. (As an aside, I hadn't realised quite how bad this new Ars layout was until now)

I stand corrected, although to be fair I'm reading about things that other operating systems have had for some time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

krooj posted:

I stand corrected, although to be fair I'm reading about things that other operating systems have had for some time.

What amazing features do you want to see added to OS X?