Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fixed Gear Guy
Oct 21, 2010

In a ketchup factory. A sexy ketchup factory.
PS are you on :shroom:? Unless you're trying to be ironically funny I don't think any sober person can write with such fluidity and with correct spelling and punctuation without any line breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

nsaP posted:

I'm not sure who is worse, z3n or his fan club of parrots sqwaking the same tired crap.

The worst is actually all the bitching in general

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

MotoMind posted:

A few months ago my dentist was puzzled by some kind of white rash next to my gums, and asked if I chewed tobacco or if I had recently burned my mouth. Of course, I had not, and it took me a few days to remember how I might have burned my gums, to remember that time when I siphoned gas with my mouth. I had pulled into a campsite in northern British Columbia and discovered that I had greatly overestimated my gas mileage. The only remaining gas was deep in the lobes of my tank. The nearest town was about 20 bear infested miles away, and it was getting dark and cold. Nonetheless, I didn't want to beg for gas, so as gingerly as I could I nursed the bike into town in high gear. The gas station was closed. I wasn't sure if I would be able to make it back to the campsite without at least a bit of fuel. So I started riding around, checking the local hotel, the provincial police, etc. to see if anybody could supply name some fuel. Finally I settled on some motorcyclists who were parked in front of a motel. By appearances, they were weekenders, middle-aged men and women riding large Harley-Davidson motorcycles. They were quite drunk, as numerous and beer cans and partially empty bottles of wine attested. I asked them if they knew of anybody who might have gas, and they pointed to a large Land Rover parked nearby and said that the folks next door parked it and might be able to help me. The door was partially ajar, so I knocked lightly and the voice from within said come in. I poked my head in and discovered two men surrounded by the thickest cloud of marijuana smoke I've ever seen in my life. They did not have any gas, nor did they own a Land Rover. I turned back to the Harley riders and ask them if they might be able to help me out, indicating that I had some tubing that I could use to siphon gas. They agreed, but the man in the party took it as an opportunity to have some fun, and began a running narrative of my activities that ranged between insulting and lewd. I inserted the tubing into the gas tank of one of the Harleys, and began to suck. My first attempt ended with a mouthful of gas. I walked around hacking and spitting. I then reversed my approach, and cut the tube in half. Half of the tube I inserted into the gasoline as well as my container. The other half of the tube I inserted into the tank cavity, and I sealed the opening as best as I could with my neck warmer. I then huffed and puffed, trying to get enough pressure in the tank to force the fuel out through the other tube. Finally I got enough gas to get back to the campsite, and then back into town again in the morning. As I geared up again, the women took out small cloth towels and began polishing the Harley, as if the motorcycle could have been defiled in the act. It took about a day to get the taste of gasoline out of my mouth.

It weren't just gasoline in that Harley tank, mate.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sir Cornelius posted:

It weren't just gasoline in that Harley tank, mate.

Premium and a little Essence o' MAN keeps that motor runnin' strong.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

nsaP posted:

Will you come hold it up for me?

Have you experienced 250 miles of riding yet?

I've already done 300 or so since the last gravel road, another 250 without checking is just mean.

I'm genuinely confused about what this is supposed to mean. Does five gallons of gas weigh something? Does your petcock not shut off? Is your cylinder head going to grind itself to thermite if you don't check your air filter RIGHT NOW?

edit: holy crap a page of BS. Whatever. post stands.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It was just a lighthearted post about how I made a mundane task harder on myself by filling my tank before I had to work underneath it. That's it. I took it to extremes saying I had to drain the whole tank, I could have drained none of it and been fine. I drained half cause it was easy. I didn't think it'd be such a big deal.

The second part, about mileage, was just a dig at sagebrush. It's cool he get's it, we're good.

How sad, having to explain bullshit.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

Tamir Lenk posted:

I have vents on my helmet, but gently caress if I can figure out the switch on them. It has 3 positions, but I can never tell the difference in venting across them. Only rarely have I had any fogging, though, so it's not such a big deal. When I does fog, it's usually at a stop, so I can just crack the shield.

The secret to figuring out how your vents work is to ride during the winter. You will feel every single vent when it's cold out.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

frozenphil posted:

The secret to figuring out how your vents work is to ride during the winter. You will feel every single vent when it's cold out.

Not with my helmet. It's just as cold with the vents open as with them closed. Seriously, zero difference at all. Helmet is comfy but gently caress my life it doesn't vent for poo poo. (HJC CL-16, FWIW.)

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

MotoMind posted:

A few months ago my dentist was puzzled...

Dear Easyriders. I never thought this would happen to me. I know a lot of your letters seem far-fetched, but I swear this is true...

So these people saved you from becoming a massive pile of bear dung and your overarching concerns were:

a) Their inability to avoid a double entendre gold mine while smashed out of their minds.

b) That they dared to clean off the bike rather than fetch you a glass Listerine first?

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Fixed Gear Guy posted:

PS are you on :shroom:? Unless you're trying to be ironically funny I don't think any sober person can write with such fluidity and with correct spelling and punctuation without any line breaks.

Line breaks are a sign of weakness.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
More like over-read, but I'm seeing helmut vs helmet just about everywhere now. Is this a German hillbilly thing, like the accordion winding up in Tejano music?

Also, if anyone knows who started needs fixed, needs replaced, etc., please taser them in the face.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Marv Hushman posted:

Also, if anyone knows who started needs fixed, needs replaced, etc., please taser them in the face.

I've heard that that started in Pennsylvania, somehow. Don't know anything beyond that. I really detest it too.

mootmoot
Jan 29, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

I've heard that that started in Pennsylvania, somehow. Don't know anything beyond that. I really detest it too.

Hyperbole aside, you detest a lot of things that the majority of people have no problem with.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

mootmoot posted:

Hyperbole aside, you detest a lot of things that the majority of people have no problem with.

Predictable as a vaudeville punchline. Moot to the toot, your act needs fixed.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Marv Hushman posted:

More like over-read, but I'm seeing helmut vs helmet just about everywhere now. Is this a German hillbilly thing, like the accordion winding up in Tejano music?

I think thats an East coast/new england thing. They also say standing on line instead of standing in line.

YOU ARE NOT STANDING ON THE INTERNET, YOU ARE STANDING IN A LINE.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Marv Hushman posted:

More like over-read, but I'm seeing helmut vs helmet just about everywhere now.

helment*

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I think thats an East coast/new england thing. They also say standing on line instead of standing in line.

I don't know man, I've lived south of Boston my whole life and never heard anyone use those expressions.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Strife posted:

I don't know man, I've lived south of Boston my whole life and never heard anyone use those expressions.

Why don't ya go and buy a grinder and a cabinet from the Shaw's with all the busted trolleys in the parking lot and then eat it sitting in the rotary with the bubbler in the middle?

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Sagebrush posted:

Why don't ya go and buy a grinder and a cabinet from the Shaw's with all the busted trolleys in the parking lot and then eat it sitting in the rotary with the bubbler in the middle?

Reminds me of the time my buddy Sully (this fuckin Townie kid with a wiffle I met at L St) got wicked tanked outside of the Dunks on Beacon St. Kid gets booted out of there, and takes off up the street. Turns on his left blinker, hits a bunch of barrels, and almost immediately gets bagged by a couple staties sitting in an unmarked cruiser on the next block. We all lost our poo poo laughing at this kid for acting like such a skid.

Yeah Boston slang is dumb.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Olde Weird Tip posted:

I've heard this and "needs fixed" a lot more from the Midwest and Pittsburgh. However, I also consider Pittsburgh the Midwest because well....it is.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
I will never quite get how sellers put up ads for Harely Davisons when the logo is TATTOOED ON THEIR FOREARMS. Combined with the t-shirt, jacket, boots, shades, watch, and coffee cup, this is a can't miss.

The grinder is a Connecticut thing as well, and drat to hell all the sad imitations throughout the rest of the country. On line I believe is New Yawkese.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
actually dumb poo poo heard from a coworker "I rode to the bar last night, but started drinking gin, so I went home and got the truck and went back because the Harley doesn't have training wheels" followed by a hearty belly laugh from his fat gut.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've never heard "needs fixed" outside the internet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Same. It's "needs fixin'"

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

It's common around here (SE PA). It's a habit I've managed to break, but it's one we learn before we've a strong enough grasp on the language to recognize it. I never even noticed it until a buddy pointed it out.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

There's an older guy I work with that rides the typical grossly overpowered, overchromed midlife crisis cruiser. He doesn't wear any safety gear, but he keeps it in his panniers "just in case he needs it".

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

orthod0ks posted:

It's common around here (SE PA). It's a habit I've managed to break, but it's one we learn before we've a strong enough grasp on the language to recognize it. I never even noticed it until a buddy pointed it out.

"This needs fixed" derives from constructions like "This seems fixed", which everyone's probably comfortable with.

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Ghostnuke posted:

There's an older guy I work with that rides the typical grossly overpowered, overchromed midlife crisis cruiser. He doesn't wear any safety gear, but he keeps it in his panniers "just in case he needs it".

I'm picturing his bike sliding across the road towards a drop off with no guard rail and this guy frantically reaching back into his bags for his helmet. I'm laughing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Its been 95 degrees here all week, which is way warm for this time of year. As I was walking out of the office to get lunch, I was carrying my helmet, jacket and gloves out to the DRZ.

Our receptionist, who is frequently a pillion on her husbands Harley says "its too hot for a jacket and gloves".

:catstare:

I just laughed and said "yeah", instead of going on some ATGATT rant like I wanted to.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I had a similar encounter at the DMV but it was all around more positive.

It was 80 out when I was registering the Bandit and there were some ratrod cruisers parked outside. Older, ultra tanned biker guy said, "hell, man. Aren't you hot in that stuff?" "Nah, see all these holes? Entire thing is perforated. As soon as you hit 10 miles an hour it's like an air conditioner! Keeps you cool!"

"Well, you certainly look cool!"

And then we wished each other to be safe and have a fun ride on this beautiful day and went on our way. :unsmith:

Santa Cruz is the best town.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Heard it tons in FL, so it's gotten that far south at least. Also a lot of "needs washed" etc. TO BE you fuckers. It's only two words of two letters each, goddamn.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I'm more concerned over the universal problem of people dropping "-ly" at the ends of words.

It's not "he is doing awesome" unless he's a superhero. It's "he is doing awesomely", you cretins!

Of course I'm terrible at grammar in general but it doesn't stop me from trying, damnit!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Well irregardless

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Xovaan posted:

I'm more concerned over the universal problem of people dropping "-ly" at the ends of words.

It's not "he is doing awesome" unless he's a superhero. It's "he is doing awesomely", you cretins!

Of course I'm terrible at grammar in general but it doesn't stop me from trying, damnit!

Dammit :eng101:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I say "damnit" as a conjunction of "drat" and "it", not dammit, which sounds like something my horribly boring born again aunt would say. :colbert:

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Here in texas we have a form of "fix" that makes even less sense than "needs fixed"; Like if you're about to goto the store, you can say "I'm fixin' to go"

We also use words like tump to mean knock over. :butt:

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Well irregardless

too far

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Olde Weird Tip posted:

Well irregardless

I love you

Xovaan posted:

I say "damnit" as a conjunction of "drat" and "it", not dammit, which sounds like something my horribly boring born again aunt would say. :colbert:

This is the only right way to say damnit. Unless, of course, you are referring to stopping the natural flow of a river.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Z3n posted:

I love you

This is the only right way to say damnit. Unless, of course, you are referring to stopping the natural flow of a river.

Dammit? That only works if you're an MIT Beaver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Stupid motorcycle things, this is still one of my favorites:

• Locked thread