Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I know nothing about cars BUT I recently started to read my car manual so I can maintain it.

I just bought this tire gauge:

I ride a lot of bicycles and maintain my bicycle a lot so I thought checking a tire pressure on a car would be similar but..it doesn't seem to be.

When I check pressure on my bicycle, I can stick the gauge into the tire valve and 'lock' it in place and it reveals the PSI on the meter.

When I check the pressure on my car using this tire gauge, I can't lock it into the valve. I basically jab the gauge into the tire valve, air shoots into the gauge, and it shows the PSI on the gauge but it doesn't seem very consistent. Is this the way I'm suppose to do it? Do I have to buy a valve or something to connect the gauge to the valve?

Also, when it's time to fill my tires up, how am I suppose to check the PSI while pumping it? Would I have to pump it, check the gauge, release air if it's too much, check the gauge, add more air if it's too little, and repeat until I get the perfect PSI?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
So we have hourly, daily, monthly, and yearly. But what about other units of time? Are there words for something that happens every minute or second or decade? Secondly and minutely are both already taken.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

I know nothing about cars BUT I recently started to read my car manual so I can maintain it.

I ride a lot of bicycles and maintain my bicycle a lot so I thought checking a tire pressure on a car would be similar but..it doesn't seem to be.

When I check pressure on my bicycle, I can stick the gauge into the tire valve and 'lock' it in place and it reveals the PSI on the meter.

When I check the pressure on my car using this tire gauge, I can't lock it into the valve. I basically jab the gauge into the tire valve, air shoots into the gauge, and it shows the PSI on the gauge but it doesn't seem very consistent. Is this the way I'm suppose to do it? Do I have to buy a valve or something to connect the gauge to the valve?

Also, when it's time to fill my tires up, how am I suppose to check the PSI while pumping it? Would I have to pump it, check the gauge, release air if it's too much, check the gauge, add more air if it's too little, and repeat until I get the perfect PSI?

I bike a lot and I have never had a car. But my bike friends who have a car tell me a secret that for some reason nobody knows.
:ssh: you can use your bike floor-pump on your car tire, it's a schraeder valve
Unless you don't have a bike pump with a gauge, in which case yeah I guess you pump and check, pump and check.

But yeah, every time someone says "ugh I have to swing by the gas station to get air" and I say to just get out their bike pump, they're like, does that... does that work?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

No, you pretty much got it as far as the gauge goes. There's so much air that it doesn't really matter, is my understanding of it.

And most air-pumps at gas-stations are basically a hose that you operate like a garden hose by closing the handle-like trigger, but when you release it a copper cylinder shoots out that shows you your pressure.

Heading off a common question, so sorry if you already know it and I'm being a dick : it says the pressure on the side of your tires. Most sedans are somewhere in the lower 30's.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

So we have hourly, daily, monthly, and yearly. But what about other units of time? Are there words for something that happens every minute or second or decade? Secondly and minutely are both already taken.

Well, you forgot "weekly", but "per + time-unit" seems to get you most of the way there, e.g. "per second", "per decade", "per fortnight". And I could probably make a good argument that a construction like that is a word, at least at some underlying syntactic level. That good enough?

More clunky, but "once a [time period]" is pretty good too.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The Earth is on a tilt in respect to its orbital plane, which is what gives us seasons. The Summer solstice is the exact moment when that tilt is pointed directly towards the sun. Summer solstice on one hemisphere is Winter solstice for the other.

Actually, does the tilt follow the geographical or magnetic poles? Or how does that work?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

BonHair posted:

Actually, does the tilt follow the geographical or magnetic poles? Or how does that work?

Geographic. Magnetic wander.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

BonHair posted:

Stab a toothpick through the center of something roundish, like a grape. Put one end of the toothpick on a table, tilt the toothpick 23 degrees or so from straight up, towards you. Spinning the toothpick simulates the rotation of the Earth. The toothpick is the rotational axis that is tilted. Put a grapefruit in on the center of the table to represent the sun. Drag the toothpick around the grapefruit in a circle to simulate orbit, keeping the toothpick tilted towards you the whole time. When you're reaching across the table over the grapefruit, it's summer in the Northern hemisphere, because it's pointed more towards the sun and is getting more direct sunlight. When you have it right next to you, it's winter, because it's getting less direct light from the sun.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Look up "ecliptic" on wikipedia, should have a reasonably good explanation.

Bike29
Feb 12, 2009
How live is live television. Sometimes while watching a basketball or football game and having a phone conversation with my brother, one of us will react to a play 5-10 seconds ahead of the other. Depending on the game, it can change. It got me wondering, are we a couple seconds behind or are there times when you're more than a few minutes behind.

For background, my brother is in Kansas and I am in Houston.

Also, I have even seen the Yahoo Sports tracker go backwards.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Bike29 posted:

How live is live television.
The closest I got to something like that was working college radio live. Any time you had a microphone in front of someone who wasn't a station employee, you had them on at least a few seconds delay so you could beep something out if they lacked impulse control.

In those days, the delay was literally a tape delay, with a tape recording on one tape deck and playing on another, so it took a few seconds for the tape to get from record head to player. The beep was literally a test tone button the player that was used for calibration purposes (it was a 1KHz signal of known amplitude). I'm sure today it's digital, and college radio is usually a shoestring operation so the pros probably had better methods even in olden times.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Bike29 posted:

How live is live television. Sometimes while watching a basketball or football game and having a phone conversation with my brother, one of us will react to a play 5-10 seconds ahead of the other. Depending on the game, it can change. It got me wondering, are we a couple seconds behind or are there times when you're more than a few minutes behind.

You can also have slight delays introduced by the signal you use. If you're on cable and he's on a satellite signal, there will be a different delay on each.

When I worked in a TV store years ago, we could call the pitches in a baseball game as they came up on the big HDTVs by watching the older analog models. The HD signal lagged by about 3 seconds.

But, yeah, we're talking seconds here, not minutes.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Sometimes satellite delays (it takes a good fraction of a second for the signal to go up to the satellite and then back down) combined with overhead at local broadcasters and different regions and policies and commercial break schedules can skew airtimes by up to several minutes. You can see this happening in major TVIV threads when a small set of posters start discussing something that most of the thread hasn't seen yet, only to be frantically shushed before they ruin a big twist.

Bike29
Feb 12, 2009
Thanks guys. I always figured 20-30 second at most.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
At my college radio station there's no delay unless I'm doing a road hockey game via the Internet. At home games, my headphone feed is literally what is being broadcast, with no delay. Obviously television and larger radio stations have a delay, thanks in no small part to Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake at the super bowl.

As you might imagine, I have said "gently caress" and "poo poo" on air either by mis-speaking or not being ready for a commercial break to end and having a candid conversation with my broadcast partner. It'd be a disaster if the fcc were listening, but my hockey broadcasts only have somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 people listening, so nothing's ever come of it. I also once asked a coach "what will [the team] have to do to have sex tonight?" rather than "have success." Unrelated but funny at the time.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
That's a question, inspired by this page. Is there any reason that second, the time measurement (one 60th of a minute) is the same word as second, that comes after first? I've never thought about it before.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Hoops posted:

That's a question, inspired by this page. Is there any reason that second, the time measurement (one 60th of a minute) is the same word as second, that comes after first? I've never thought about it before.

etymonline.com posted:

second (n.)
"one-sixtieth of a minute," late 14c., from O.Fr. seconde, from M.L. secunda, short for secunda pars minuta "second diminished part," the result of the second division of the hour by sixty (the first being the "prime minute," now called the minute), from L. secunda, fem. of secundus (see second (adj.)).

Apparently yes!

P.S. Everyone should go to etymonline.com all the time. It is basically a distilled version of the OED and it is awesome.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

alnilam posted:

But yeah, every time someone says "ugh I have to swing by the gas station to get air" and I say to just get out their bike pump, they're like, does that... does that work?

It works... if you're quite patient and don't mind a bit of an aerobic workout. I've done it, inflating a car tire all the way from dead flat -- I knew it was a slow leak and I just had to limp it to the tire shop, and I didn't feel like bothering with the spare. Worked great but took some time.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Bike29 posted:

There is a commerical product which impercpetibly compresses live events to let broadcasters air extra commercials. The local Pittsburgh affliate got caught using it to add extra comericals to Steelers games.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Thanks! I was having no luck finding their phone number somehow.

kapalama posted:

There is a commerical product which impercpetibly compresses live events to let broadcasters air extra commercials. The local Pittsburgh affliate got caught using it to add extra comericals to Steelers games.

a football game... with extra commercials? :psyduck:

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

greazeball posted:

a football game... with extra commercials? :psyduck:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20011108/1644247.shtml

(SInce I finally managed to find it.)

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Not being a native speaker, I'm wondering about people using the term "picked up" rather than "bought" all the time. Is that a form of snobizm, or is "picked up" genuinely interchangable with "bought"?

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Mokotow posted:

Not being a native speaker, I'm wondering about people using the term "picked up" rather than "bought" all the time. Is that a form of snobizm, or is "picked up" genuinely interchangable with "bought"?

It's appropriate. Look into phrasal verbs-- same idea as "checking up" on someone instead of "investigating their well-being" or something similar.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Mokotow posted:

What is snobizm?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

kapalama posted:

What is snobizm?

Snobbism, sorry. I Wrote it in Polish for some reason.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

kapalama posted:

What is snobizm?

A thing snobs say.

Yes, it's interchangeable and not snobbish.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Mokotow posted:

Don't forget that "get" is also often used similarly to "buy" as in "Where did you get that shirt?" I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "genuinely interchangeable" but word choice in English is heavily dependent on context.

The forums at UsingEnglish are actually pretty decent for advanced learners like you, especially the English Idioms and Sayings and General Language Discussion forums.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

greazeball posted:

Don't forget that "get" is also often used similarly to "buy" as in "Where did you get that shirt?" I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "genuinely interchangeable" but word choice in English is heavily dependent on context.

The forums at UsingEnglish are actually pretty decent for advanced learners like you, especially the English Idioms and Sayings and General Language Discussion forums.

Yeah, it's simply untranslatable into Polish, and if you'd try, you'd essentialy end up with "I walked in, picked it off the shelf and walked out without paying". I figured that it probably is interchangable with "bought" and without subtext, but since it didn't sit too well with me, I wanted to make sure.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
"I picked up a six pack on the way home" has the same general meaning as "I bought a six pack on the way home." I think for my region, at least, "picked up" is a bit more casual or redneck-y (so the first one would probably work a little better, considering they're getting beer). "I picked up some strawberries" sounds odd, for example.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
I feel like "picked up" is a bit more casual and may imply that you have some purpose in mind: "I picked up some strawberries on the way home so we can make strawberry shortcake." But really it's identical for all intents and purposes. I guess "picked up" can also work for things that are being given away freely, so money doesn't necessarily have to be involved in the same way as it does for "bought." "I saw that the library had a pile of free discard books so I picked up a copy of The Hobbit."

eta: Interestingly, the word "lift" can mean to steal. If someone lifts a car, s/he is either super strong, or a car thief.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Cross-posted from the Product Recommendation Thread in PYF, because that doesn't get as much traffic:

Can anyone tell me if the memory foam mattresses currently offered on Woot today are any good?
http://www.woot.com/

I really need a new mattress, but I'm wary of them being so cheap...

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Eggplant Wizard posted:

eta: Interestingly, the word "lift" can mean to steal. If someone lifts a car, s/he is either super strong, or a car thief.

While lift means steal, I have to say I have never heard it being used about cars.

Shoplifting on the other hand is done with hydraulic jacks, or by thieves.

Get/got, and going to/gonna are the ones that ESL students trop on a lot.

Also "I am being very happy" about this thread, since in every other case the is+present participle is used, seems to trip them up.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

marshmallard posted:

A thing snobs say.

Yes, it's interchangeable and not snobbish.

I think it is a bit snobbish depending on what you're picking up. If you're picking up some milk from the store on the way home, it's not, but if you're picking up a new car, that is definitely snobbish. I would only use "pick up" with casual or everyday purchases, and if I hear someone using it with big-ticket items it sounds to me like they're bragging about being so rich that buying expensive things is a casual occurrence for them.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've become really interested in the Tor network. Is there a thread on SA about Tor? I have a few particular questions about it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

Cross-posted from the Product Recommendation Thread in PYF, because that doesn't get as much traffic:

Can anyone tell me if the memory foam mattresses currently offered on Woot today are any good?
http://www.woot.com/

I really need a new mattress, but I'm wary of them being so cheap...

I swear there was a mattress thread, maybe in coupons?

Just read through the forum from other wooters who have purchased this mattress
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5044405&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=109

Or some of the other previous woots for the same thing:
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&bih=1323&ion=1

General consensus is that foam mattresses are great but they trap in your heat a bit more than a regular mattress and they have a chemical smell so you need to air them out for a couple days before using them.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

alnilam posted:

I've become really interested in the Tor network. Is there a thread on SA about Tor? I have a few particular questions about it.
Nope.

To answer most of them: TOR is for revolutionaries raising the fist against their oppressors, drug dealers, child pornographers, and paranoid schizophrenics trying to protect themselves from Them. There are special websites that exist only on TOR and cannot be accessed without using TOR. They mostly contain drugs and kiddy porn.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

For future reference, try looking at privacy policies or links to the corporate website. Privacy policies are good for finding corporate office locations too should you need that (in the US anyway it's required by law though compliance is spotty).

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gobbeldygook posted:

Nope.

To answer most of them: TOR is for revolutionaries raising the fist against their oppressors, drug dealers, child pornographers, and paranoid schizophrenics trying to protect themselves from Them. There are special websites that exist only on TOR and cannot be accessed without using TOR. They mostly contain drugs and kiddy porn.

I would also point out that using TOR will result in very slow web browsing and downloads, since your connection is being passed through 5 random servers each time, and most of them are some random dude's desktop on a slow DSL line.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FCKGW posted:

I swear there was a mattress thread, maybe in coupons?

Just read through the forum from other wooters who have purchased this mattress
http://www.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5044405&PageIndex=1&ReplyCount=109

Or some of the other previous woots for the same thing:
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...&bih=1323&ion=1

General consensus is that foam mattresses are great but they trap in your heat a bit more than a regular mattress and they have a chemical smell so you need to air them out for a couple days before using them.

Thank...I'm not worried about trapped heat...I've got an AC in my bedroom.

I also might be the only person who wants to "downgrade" my King to a Queen...a King is just too drat big. One of the reasons my current mattress sucks is because having to get it up and down stairs during my last move put a HUGE crease in it where some springs must have gotten broken.

Now I'll have to find a queen frame and boxspring on craigslist.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

FCKGW posted:

That's true of memory foam because the cells are closed and the chemicals used, but neither is true of latex foam which is more expensive but much better in my opinion (I tried both; the memory foam stank like hell and was sweaty hot no matter how cold the room was.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

DrBouvenstein posted:

Thank...I'm not worried about trapped heat...I've got an AC in my bedroom.

I also might be the only person who wants to "downgrade" my King to a Queen...a King is just too drat big. One of the reasons my current mattress sucks is because having to get it up and down stairs during my last move put a HUGE crease in it where some springs must have gotten broken.

Now I'll have to find a queen frame and boxspring on craigslist.

I helped a friend move his king memory foam mattress and that thing was so drat floppy and heavy it was almost impossible for two people. Queen should help a bit. I think they ship them frozen so they're at least rigid.