Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I have no idea how to do that... my biggest hurdle with getting this set up is that I've never done this before, so I am not sure what that even means exactly.
Some routers support it, and the other computers would have to be set up to connect to it. OS X itself has a VPN server, but there's no GUI for the configuration unless you get the OS X Server package. Or get a shareware front end like EasyVPN. Or try ShareTool I guess, which should essentially have the same effect, with the added benefit of passing Bonjour stuff over (which VPN doesn't support iirc).

kapalama posted:

http://www.filecluster.com/reviews/082009/how-to-suspend-a-process-in-mac-osx/
That tells me how to suspend a process like Firefox which uses up battery by using 20-50% of the CPU whenever it is running.

But I fear terminal, and would like something that I can just launch with launchbar like the kill the dock command which fixes the spaces fuckery.

The terminal commands are apparently

kilall -STOP firefox-bin

To resume it, the command is:

kilall -CONT firefox-bin

How do I make these into an AppleScript so that I can LaunchBar it?

Or is the a ready made app that does this?
I think in AppleScript it's something like:
code:
do shell script "killall -STOP blah"
Otherwise just open Automator and use the shell script block in there. Pretty sure there's some free or shareware app that does what you want with a little fancy GUI too, but I forget the name. You could probably do a less fancy simple little GUI with Automator for it too.

I forget but I'm not sure a stopped process can free memory (like if the system wants to swap it out), so there could be some side effects to it.

Oh and just noticed a typo on that page/your quote, it's "killall" not "kilall".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

japtor posted:

I think in AppleScript it's something like:
code:
do shell script "killall -STOP blah"
Otherwise just open Automator and use the shell script block in there. Pretty sure there's some free or shareware app that does what you want with a little fancy GUI too, but I forget the name. You could probably do a less fancy simple little GUI with Automator for it too.

I forget but I'm not sure a stopped process can free memory (like if the system wants to swap it out), so there could be some side effects to it.

Oh and just noticed a typo on that page/your quote, it's "killall" not "kilall".

They say OS X can swap out the memory, but I don't care about that, I just care about battery life, and not having to restart Firefox which takes forever to load in the beginning, and requires all kinds of interaction before I can use it.

I don't know how to use Automator. Maybe easy to use for some, but it has never come close to doing anything I need.

If I just end up with an Palle Script that's fine because LaunchBar makes running an Applscript easy. I do not need a GUI, just a way to send those commands without spawning a terminal window and having to type in it. My typing sucks.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

kapalama posted:

http://www.filecluster.com/reviews/082009/how-to-suspend-a-process-in-mac-osx/
That tells me how to suspend a process like Firefox which uses up battery by using 20-50% of the CPU whenever it is running.

But I fear terminal, and would like something that I can just launch with launchbar like the kill the dock command which fixes the spaces fuckery.

The terminal commands are apparently

kilall -STOP firefox-bin

To resume it, the command is:

kilall -CONT firefox-bin

How do I make these into an AppleScript so that I can LaunchBar it?

Or is the a ready made app that does this?

Here's a quick and dirty shell script I made. It works fine here, and is chmodded to 777, so it should work on yours too. It will pause the firefox process and wait for you to press a key before restarting it.

However, the firefox process was just called firefox for me, not firefox-bin. If you have issues, though, just edit it in textedit.

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Jun 19, 2012

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Experto Crede posted:

Here's a quick and dirty shell script I made. It works fine here, and is chmodded to 777, so it should work on yours too. It will pause the firefox process and wait for you to press a key before restarting it.

However, the firefox process was just called firefox for me, not firefox-bin. If you have issues, though, just edit it in textedit.

I says I do not have prvileges to use it, but Pasting the commands into Terminal worked. I had to add bin to the end.

Since the commands work in terminal, is there a way to make an AppleScript that will send the command
killall -STOP firefox-bin
to terminal, and run it?

I am perfectly happy with having one to stop it and another to continure it. Spaces is messed up enough that any pop-up window just might get lost anyway. I routinely have to force quit apps because pop-up dialog boxes get lost in the netherlands, Spaces cannot rasie them to the top level of a window that did not spawn them, and once the space is switched they no longer are accessible to the window that did spawn them.

(I just ran into the with Apple Script Editor which would not quit because it had spawned a pop-up window, that was not visible with all other apps hidden.)

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

kapalama posted:

I says I do not have prvileges to use it, but Pasting the commands into Terminal worked. I had to add bin to the end.

Since the commands work in terminal, is there a way to make an AppleScript that will send the command
to terminal, and run it?

I am perfectly happy with having one to stop it and another to continure it. Spaces is messed up enough that any pop-up window just might get lost anyway. I routinely have to force quit apps because pop-up dialog boxes get lost in the netherlands, Spaces cannot rasie them to the top level of a window that did not spawn them, and once the space is switched they no longer are accessible to the window that did spawn them.

(I just ran into the with Apple Script Editor which would not quit because it had spawned a pop-up window, that was not visible with all other apps hidden.)

Hmm, running
code:
chmod 777 kill.command
should sort it.

That said, I've rustled up an applescript for you, same basic premise. Find it here

If you're interested, this is the applescript code:

code:
tell application "Terminal"
	activate
	do script "killall -STOP firefox-bin"
	quit
end tell
set dialogResult to display dialog ¬
	"Click Restart to restart Firefox" buttons {"Restart"}
if button returned of dialogResult is "Restart" then
	tell application "Terminal"
		activate
		do script "killall -CONT firefox-bin"
		quit
	end tell
end if
(Anyone can feel free to tell me that the code is messy, it probably is, I rustled it together from some prior knowledge and apple's website)

Experto Crede fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 19, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
fake edit: beaten :downs:
Well I got a really ghetto basic version at least.

kapalama posted:

to terminal, and run it?
I'm guessing the script has his ownership on it. Try:
chmod 777 PathTokill.command (or chmod 777 then drag the kill.command file in from the Finder if you're not sure of the path)

If that doesn't work, might also have to do:
chown yourshortusername PathTokill.command

That should make it do what you want, opening the kill.command file will open up a terminal window and run that command.

quote:

That's weird, I tried it now here and it just opened and closed the resulting app after it did it's thing, maybe something with the different checkboxes on saving?

Try these out, I don't have Firefox so I'm just assuming "firefox-bin" works, I tested it with System Prefs before and it worked how you seem to want here at least. (I'm on Lion, perhaps that makes a difference if you're not).
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7336557/temp/kapa%20firefox.zip

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

The Apple Script thing works perfectly. Thanks for taking the time!

(I am terminal allergic, because bad typing makes for bad things.)

Now I can suspend FF with a simple LaunchBar code! Now if I can fugure our what Opera, and Safari are called in terminal I'll be golden.

kapalama fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 19, 2012

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Experto Crede posted:

(Anyone can feel free to tell me that the code is messy, it probably is, I rustled it together from some prior knowledge and apple's website)
Well I think you can cut out the Terminal bits entirely by using the "do shell script" command, like so:
code:
do shell script "killall -STOP firefox-bin"
	do shell script "killall -CONT firefox-bin"
end if
Now the Terminal doesn't open at all, just the restart dialog!

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

japtor posted:

Well I think you can cut out the Terminal bits entirely by using the "do shell script" command, like so:
code:
end if

Is that in a .command file or in an Applescript?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

japtor posted:

code:
end if

You're right, just a bit of a habit of mine, having terminal open, lets me view any errors.

kapalama posted:

Is that in a .command file or in an Applescript?

It's applescript

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Thanks to both of you. This is cool.

So I can use that AppleScript outline to send commands to Terminal wihout popping up the terminal window. Cool.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Not sure why Chrome keeps causing a kernel panic, but I sure do wish they would loving fix it!

chimz
Jul 27, 2005

Science isn't about why, it's about why not.

tofes posted:

Not sure why Chrome keeps causing a kernel panic, but I sure do wish they would loving fix it!

A) Are you updated to the latest version of OS/Chrome/etc
B) Post the panic log so it can be looked at

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone using MAME on OS X? Does it take a really, really, really long time to audit a large ROM set? I think I let it run for over 2 hours last night on my 2011 Air, it just sat there screaming with 1 core pegged and never finished.

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I'm finally fed up with Evernote's horrible text input handling. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? Ideally there's a companion iOS app available and the ability to self-host via Dropbox.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

pipes! posted:

I'm finally fed up with Evernote's horrible text input handling. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? Ideally there's a companion iOS app available and the ability to self-host via Dropbox.
I use Byword on my iPhone and that syncs with both iCloud and Dropbox (not at the same time). It handles plain text, but you can jazz it up with Markdown syntax (which I love).

I would use Byword on my Mac, but I use VIM for all my text-based needs.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to uninstall prokit.framework? Deleted the entire folder and still the 7.0 installer says a newer version is installed. This normally would not be an issue but the timecapsule is being a twat and just says connecting in the recovery partition.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

thegasman2000 posted:

Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to uninstall prokit.framework? Deleted the entire folder and still the 7.0 installer says a newer version is installed. This normally would not be an issue but the timecapsule is being a twat and just says connecting in the recovery partition.

You may need as well to remove/move the receipts in the root library; they're system wide. /Library/Application Support/ProApps

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

chimz posted:

A) Are you updated to the latest version of OS/Chrome/etc
B) Post the panic log so it can be looked at

Everything is updated, I even tried installing beta and canary chrome to see if those fix it. Other people are having the same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4028778?start=0&tstart=0

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
kapalama and those interested in a solution that doesn't involve the terminal: There's an program called AppTamer which allows you to setup rules for suspending applications when they're minimized or not in focus. I'm sure its just a GUI for the exact script the terminal guru's in here devised.

edit for clarity and thoroughness

decypher fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 19, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Diabolik900 posted:

Apple Insider just reported this afternoon that a developer preview of 10.7.5 is coming soon. I have no idea how accurate that'll prove to be though.
Speak of the devil, 10.7.5 just hit developer preview today.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

tofes posted:

Everything is updated, I even tried installing beta and canary chrome to see if those fix it. Other people are having the same problem: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4028778?start=0&tstart=0

This looks exactly like the crash I was having testing some development stuff in Mountain Lion. I'm going to guess the drivers in the Lion build for MBPR and Mountain Lion are very similar which could cause this. If you *MUST* use chrome, try getting gfxcardstatus and forcing your laptop to the nvidia chipset only and see if it persists. In my 2011 MBP ML would cause kernel panics whenever the integrated/dedicated gpus switched. Really annoying for coding so I gave up working on ML.

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas
I'm getting a bit aggravated trying to figure out why a practically-new mid-2011 13" Air only gets ~5 hours of battery life during very light web browsing. All suggestions appreciated!

Firefox purportedly uses 5-10% CPU at all times while other browsers sit at <1% with the same number of tabs open. Is that considered a negligible amount or would it be worthwhile to give up Firefox for Safari or Chrome?

Also, what's up with the Dock using half a gig of memory? Is the Dock process really just the Dock does it serve other OS features as well? Should I even be concerned?

I'm new to Mac, so I apologize if this sort of thing has already been discussed to death.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Try ditching Firefox and using only Chrome or Safari for a bit and see if it helps. Firefox is a turd in OSX, or at least it was before I forced myself to get used to Chrome 2 years ago.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

thatdog posted:

I'm getting a bit aggravated trying to figure out why a practically-new mid-2011 13" Air only gets ~5 hours of battery life during very light web browsing. All suggestions appreciated!

Firefox purportedly uses 5-10% CPU at all times while other browsers sit at <1% with the same number of tabs open. Is that considered a negligible amount or would it be worthwhile to give up Firefox for Safari or Chrome?

Also, what's up with the Dock using half a gig of memory? Is the Dock process really just the Dock does it serve other OS features as well? Should I even be concerned?

I'm new to Mac, so I apologize if this sort of thing has already been discussed to death.

What brightness setting do you have it on? At least in my experience, the screen brightness is the biggest factor affecting battery life.

Also, that 500 MB seems really big. I haven't rebooted my machine in about 3 weeks and Dock is using 54 MB of RAM.

Edit: VVVV I doubt that it has to do with the number of icons. Here's my dock:

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 19, 2012

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Modern Pragmatist posted:

What brightness setting do you have it on? At least in my experience, the screen brightness is the biggest factor affecting battery life.

Also, that 500 MB seems really big. I haven't rebooted my machine in about 3 weeks and Dock is using 54 MB of RAM.

Same on mine... do you have a lot of icons on your dock? That could be part of the excessive ram usage on it. What does the memory tab look like?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Isn't Dock an all-encompassing process for Mission Control, Launchpad, and the Dashboard? He might have a lot of widgets, or maybe just a ton of windows open.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Isn't Dock an all-encompassing process for Mission Control, Launchpad, and the Dashboard? He might have a lot of widgets, or maybe just a ton of windows open.

I have uhhhh..... 25 windows open currently encompassing 12 applications and I am only using 53MB in my dock according to activity monitor. Oh and 5 widgets on the dashboard.

However, I do not use Mission Control. So unless he beats that I gotta :raise:

The thing that I find interesting is that dock uses more than kernel_task which has always been #1 on my system.

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

flyboi posted:

Try ditching Firefox and using only Chrome or Safari for a bit and see if it helps. Firefox is a turd in OSX, or at least it was before I forced myself to get used to Chrome 2 years ago.
Good to know. I never seriously considered Chrome back when it didn't have extensions but apparently it does now! I'll give it a try.

Thanks, I'll turn it down and see if it makes a difference. I probably should have thought of that myself! My last laptop was a Dell with a lovely matte screen and I suppose I may have been over-indulging a bit on screen brightness since I switched.

I believe the number of icons on my dock is reasonable. I do have a fair number of widgets on the Dashboard but it appears to have a separate process. Besides, they are mostly Stickies and I should hope those don't use too much memory.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Noticed you're using Grab.app. You know you can hold down Cmd-Shift-4 to get a section of your screen without any app, right? :)

(and then press space bar if you want to specifically take one window, though that wouldn't work for the dock IIRC)

e: Actually it does :aaaaa:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 20, 2012

thatdog
Sep 25, 2000

Oh wow, that's really neat! Thanks!

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Martytoof posted:

Noticed you're using Grab.app. You know you can hold down Cmd-Shift-4 to get a section of your screen without any app, right? :)

(and then press spacebar shift if you want to specifically take one window, though that wouldn't work for the dock IIRC)

e: Actually it does :aaaaa:

Fixed that for you.

For content: That really is one of my favorite features of OS X. That and cmd+ctrl+shift+4 which just pastes it to the clipboard. I really miss this when I move to Linux of Windows. alt+PrintScreen isn't nearly as great as people think it is.

Modern Pragmatist fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 20, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Fixed that for you.

Thanks. I meant to type space, I even tried it just now to make sure, and I still typed "shift". My mind is going.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

thatdog posted:

As was mentioned, screen brightness is probably the #1 draw. After that I would say (assuming you don't routinely have three different browsers open at once) Flash and Facebook. Flash is genuinely a beast at sucking battery; try joining the HTML5 YouTube beta at http://www.youtube.com/html5 and see if that works for you, and maybe install ClickToPlugin (for Safari at least).

Opening Facebook is just like dumping a fresh turd in your machine and seriously most of the time when my machine is running like old mayonnaise while being hot enough to cook eggs I'll check and it's because I've left a Facebook tab open somewhere.

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

flyboi posted:

This looks exactly like the crash I was having testing some development stuff in Mountain Lion. I'm going to guess the drivers in the Lion build for MBPR and Mountain Lion are very similar which could cause this. If you *MUST* use chrome, try getting gfxcardstatus and forcing your laptop to the nvidia chipset only and see if it persists. In my 2011 MBP ML would cause kernel panics whenever the integrated/dedicated gpus switched. Really annoying for coding so I gave up working on ML.

It's an Air, so no nVidia card. I've been running web video in Safari and surfing in Chrome and haven't had another panic yet, a temporary fix at least

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Safari is the most power efficient browser on OS X and it is a good browser so please use it thank you.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the cheapest way to get an OS onto a some random white MacBook? Can you still get a Snow Leopard DVD for $29?

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a nice Spotify app/plugin that goes into my menu bar and tells me the name of the song currently playing? That's the bare minimum I want, but it could also be nice if clicking on it brings down more options e.g. to search for a song or see the next songs on queue.

Simplify doesn't do everything you want, but I think it has a lot of the features you desire. Works with Spotify, Rdio, Last.fm and iTunes.

thatdog posted:

Cmd-Shift-4 space bar
Oh wow, that's really neat! Thanks!

This is amazing. Using this with Droplr and/or CloudApp makes life easier.

Martytoof posted:

Does anyone here use WineBottler to run Windows apps?

I'd also recommend checking out WinOnX in the App Store. I used to use WineBottler and WinOnX seems to function much better, although I only use it for Mp3Tag.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dox posted:

Simplify doesn't do everything you want, but I think it has a lot of the features you desire. Works with Spotify, Rdio, Last.fm and iTunes.

I've been using http://www.bowtieapp.com/Bowtie[/url] since I went back to a single monitor (MBP) setup.

For iTunes, Spotify, Sonora, or Rdio. This is just the theme I picked for it.

Holy crap, retina display. It's about 3 times larger in this image than it is on my desktop. I guess it's retina ready, and seeing it in Chrome 3 times in size makes for an interesting effect.

IUG fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

fleshweasel posted:

I'm pretty sure Safari is the most power efficient browser on OS X and it is a good browser so please use it thank you.

Thanks dude I'll think about it!