Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
So who here has seen Sleeping Beauty (not the also excellent Catherine Breillat film)? It's an even more straight-faced Sucker Punch, which also stars Emily Browning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcanic Vents
Mar 28, 2009

Hewlett posted:

Man, whatever happened to Emily Watson? Anymore, I only remember her from this and Equilibrium.

EDIT: Oh yeah, she was in War Horse. Also, she was apparently supposed to be Amelie but she decided that not speaking French was a bit of a barrier. She was in Synedoche, New York, too - haven't seen that yet.

Sorry to derail, because it's not on Instant, but if you want to see Emily Watson being amazing in an amazing movie, I recommend "The Proposition;" it's a western set in 19th century Australia about the attempt to catch a gang out outback outlaws lead by a group of Irish brothers. Also stars Guy Pierce, written by Nick Cave, pretty violent, awesome cinematography and Nick Cave/Warren Ellis soundtrack. Emily Watson is the wife of the soldier with the unenviable task of bringing the brothers to justice.

Volcanic Vents fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 19, 2012

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

So who here has seen Sleeping Beauty (not the also excellent Catherine Breillat film)? It's an even more straight-faced Sucker Punch, which also stars Emily Browning.
Well, I've seen the right screenshots of that movie...

Can anyone who's seen Markus Schleinzer's Michael tell me if it's worth watching? It's from a first-time director whose most notable previous credit was as a casting director for some of Michael Haneke's films and the movie itself has been described as Haneke-esque.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hewlett posted:

Man, whatever happened to Emily Watson? Anymore, I only remember her from this and Equilibrium.

EDIT: Oh yeah, she was in War Horse. Also, she was apparently supposed to be Amelie but she decided that not speaking French was a bit of a barrier. She was in Synedoche, New York, too - haven't seen that yet.
She was a pretty big character in Gosford Park, which is good and is also on streaming.

Also she was in the movie Cradle Will Rock, which is not, but amazing and worth checking out.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Well I finally watched Carrie (2002) last night and god drat, that movie is intense. Watching everyone poo poo on her for the first half of the movie was brutal and her mom was loving satan spawn. Even though I hear the original is far better, I still loved the 2002 version.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

DrVenkman posted:

You should. Everyone should in fact. It recognises that Sandler's 'Man child' is a damaged man and pairs him up with a damaged woman in really sweet romance that just happens to have this great edge to it.
I worked at a movie theater when Punch Drunk Love came out, and the amount of people walking out of it confused or angry was unusually high. There was also a lot of uncomfortable laughter at inappropriate moments. I don't think it was entirely the fault of the marketing in this case, I got to see the trailer:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNeZi1y_v88 many times as it would play over and over in the lobby, and it did a good job of setting up the tone, even if it played up the comedic moments a bit much. It was mostly just that people expected weird but lighthearted Sandler, and ended up getting this dark love story about a guy with serious and not at all funny rage issues. It's a shame because it's the best movie of his that I've seen.

I remember reading an interview with PT Anderson about how he watched an old SNL clip of Sandler doing a skit where he just starts yelling. He saw something in him in that moment that he knew he could draw out for the character of Barry. It's too bad the movie didn't do all that well, because Sandler will most likely never do another one like it now.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I thought it was nice to look at but ultimately empty and fairly dull.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 19, 2012

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
If any of you were tempted to watch Occupant, don't bother.

It's all build-up with no payoff:

Man is in isolation trying to stay in his dead grandmother's rent-controlled apartment long enough to take over the lease, slowly begins to lose his grip on reality, starts building booby traps and is accidentally killed by one.

That's it, you've seen the movie. I kept waiting for some unique twist on the genre, a clever shift in the plot, ANYTHING. It never happens.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Trainspotting has been on and off Netflix, it's one of the great movies of relatively recent times and really ought to be seen by anyone on the thread who hasn't seen it yet. I also envy anyone seeing it for the first time, especially not exposed to any hype or expectations.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So I got a second monitor for my computer, so I've been playing netflix on one monitor while I work on photoshop. I watched "The Producers" (1968) and its remake in 2005. The remake was a full on musical, directly copied a few comedy routines from the original. It was also rather immature, especially in the scenes with Ula the secretary and the gay director.

Overall, though, they were both very entertaining.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

nickmeister posted:

So I got a second monitor for my computer, so I've been playing netflix on one monitor while I work on photoshop. I watched "The Producers" (1968) and its remake in 2005. The remake was a full on musical, directly copied a few comedy routines from the original. It was also rather immature, especially in the scenes with Ula the secretary and the gay director.

Overall, though, they were both very entertaining.

The remake suffers from the leads playing to the rafters in a way that doesn't work on film, but it has its moments, and Uma Thurman is pure :drat:!

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Maxwell Lord posted:

The remake suffers from the leads playing to the rafters in a way that doesn't work on film, but it has its moments, and Uma Thurman is pure :drat:!
And they both suffer from the fact that there's just no good/funny way to end the story, but I still maintain that "Springtime for Hitler" is one of the funniest/best/most iconic songs ever in a major motion picture. It's just so wonderfully wrong that I can't help but love it.
If for some reason anyone here hasn't seen either, seriously go watch them now.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I watched Lost in Translation last night. Very good movie in my opinion, very beautiful to look at and Bill Murray and Scarlett Johansson are both very very good. Definitely give it a go if you haven't seen it.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some good stuff xpiring June 30th/July 1st:

Days of Heaven, a beautiful Terence Malick film. If you enjoy his stuff at all, this one is unmissable.

Where the Sidewalk Ends, an enjoyable noir from famous director Otto Preminger.

Airplane! which I'm sure you've seen, but if you haven't... do it.

Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, which I haven't seen yet, but, Paul Newman!

The Fly: body horror at its finest.

Memento is a good film.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a classic.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Days of Heaven, a beautiful Terence Malick film. If you enjoy his stuff at all, this one is unmissable.

Great flick--I love Malick's slow and beautiful style and this one certainly delivers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Didn't the Star Trek TOS remastered versions used to be on Netflix? Is it no longer?

lessthankyle
Dec 19, 2002

SKA SUCKS
Soiled Meat

Tewratomeh posted:

I gave Jon Benjamin Has a Van a try, ended up loving it from the first episode. Is it groundbreaking? No, but I laughed my rear end off most of the way through so I guess I'd call that a successful comedy show.

Maybe it's just the fact that I love Archer so by extension I automatically crack up when I hear Jon Benjamin's voice now.

From a few pages back, but I highly recommend checking this out. It premiered right when I got rid of my cable, so I wasn't able to check it out.

This show is a much improved "Dog Bites Man." The fourth episode when they lose the sound guy was such incredible dedication to a bit I was losing my poo poo the entire time.

lessthankyle fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 21, 2012

Disco Bison
Aug 31, 2004

Surprised to see Battle Royale on the list.

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I guess I'll admit now that Drive has really grown on me. I watched it again tonight and really liked it a lot more this time.

The intro and outro songs by Kavinksy and College definitely help. The Kavisnky song in particularly is really catchy. I usually dislike 80s throwback material, but they got the best of the lot with those songs.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Watched this one last night and liked it a lot. I haven't read the play, but I do like Tennessee Williams' other work like A Streetcar Named Desire. Newman and Elizabeth Taylor were great. Definitely check this one out if you like dramas--especially broken family dramas.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
The Hunter is going to be up on streaming August 2nd. It stars willem dafoe as he hunts for the supposedly extinct Tazmanian tiger. Also intrigue abound. Looks really awesome.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I thought The Hunter was really boring and I can barely remember what the plot was about.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

lessthankyle posted:

The fourth episode when they lose the sound guy was such incredible dedication to a bit I was losing my poo poo the entire time.
Absolutely. That whole episode was amazing, but it's no wonder the show got cancelled with bits like that. It's hardly accessible thanks to the conceptual nature, but I keep going back and rewatching it all, and I think it gets funnier every time. The shorter bits are also just genius, like all the times Jon is being the host of a fake TV show. Such a great show, and such a shame that it was probably just too smart for Comedy Central.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
So I recently just watched Enter the Void with my girlfriend today and got to say that was quite the experience.Its a very experimental movie and you can easily get lost due the many transitions from past to present . I'm interested too hear what you guys think of it.

The Sisko fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 22, 2012

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't the Star Trek TOS remastered versions used to be on Netflix? Is it no longer?

I just watched one yesterday, have you tried just searching for Star Trek?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

SRM posted:

I've been cracking up every time I hear Jon Benjamin's voice since Home Movies. Fortunately, that entire series is up on Instant, and still absolutely hilarious.

An old post, I know, but the first episode with Cash Stall, jesus christ.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

I just watched one yesterday, have you tried just searching for Star Trek?

I watched an episode or two and the color and picture quality didn't seem up to par for the restoration episodes I remembered seeing a few years ago. Also the effects shots in the intro looked like the original models, not the slightly upgraded CGI versions and the episode I watched (Menagerie) definitely had the original matte paintings. I know not all episodes got the CGI treatment, but wasn't the intro at least redone before all episodes? I guess when I get the time later this week I should just skip through Amok Time or some other episode I know got the treatment to test it. Maybe I assumed the new CGI was used more than it was. Seems silly that they wouldn't have the option to interchange between the two on Netflix.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Is Fish Tank any good? Just noticed Fassbender is in it.

Balancing Monsters
Sep 3, 2011

Xandu posted:

Yes.

This movie is tense and uncomfortable in various ways and is successful at all of those ways, I think. I also watched it for Fassbender, who is spot-on throughout, but was also impressed with how well the main girl (who, as is often noted, was not an actress but was discovered by the casting director having a fight with her boyfriend in public) does in it. Definitely worth watching, especially if you like Fassbender and/or films about lower class British people.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Xandu posted:

Fish Tank is brilliant, in a really depressing way. It's definitely worth seeing, and not just because of Fassbender.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

The poor guy has clearly lost his mind, either because of mental illness or just plain obsession with this idea that has consumed his whole life for decades. I don't know what they could gain by talking with him. I see why they chose to respect his privacy. On the other hand, they did put his home address out there for the world to see. poo poo, I just looked at it on Google street view. But yeah that disappointed me too. :(

Well, the guy died between filming and the release of the movie, so I doubt there's any risk of people harassing him.

matrocious
Feb 7, 2011

Ersatz posted:

Fish Tank is brilliant, in a really depressing way. It's definitely worth seeing, and not just because of Fassbender.

It's a fascinating look at London, Alabama.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
If you haven't seen the 1964 heist film Topkapi, you should check it out.

It's pretty breezy for an old movie and the big job is probably the inspiration for the TV show Mission: Impossible and the wire scene from the first M:I movie.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Where the Sidewalk Ends, an enjoyable noir from famous director Otto Preminger.

Airplane! which I'm sure you've seen, but if you haven't... do it.

The Fly: body horror at its finest.

Memento is a good film.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a classic.
Also The Hustler and Ace in the Hole - neither of which I have seen.

Zero Karizma
Jul 8, 2004

It's ok now, just tell me what happened...

fenix down posted:

Also The Hustler and Ace in the Hole - neither of which I have seen.

Ace in the Hole is pretty decent, and fairly dark for an old movie. It's worth seeing for the Simpsons reference point at the very least.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yeah, I'm one of those people that doesn't like older movies because of the Hayes Code but Ace in the Hole is great. Since Network is on instant you should do an Ace in the Hole/Network double-feature, start with a dark depressing look at media sensationalism and end with a comical over-the-top one.

SoleilEquil
Mar 18, 2010
If you enjoy movies with sub-titles.. King of Devil's Island (2010) is a Norwegian film with Stellan Skarsgård playing a very nice role as the headmaster of a turn of the century boy's reform camp called Bastoy.

Watched it late at night on a whim and I highly recommend it.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Zero Karizma posted:

Ace in the Hole is pretty decent, and fairly dark for an old movie. It's worth seeing for the Simpsons reference point at the very least.
I watched this just a couple weeks ago. I went in with pretty low expectations considering I was never crazy about a lot of Billy Wilder's stuff and I also was never in love with Kirk Douglas. I thought it was pretty great and very sharp satire. I was surprised that according the the wikipedia entry that apparently a lot of critics thought it was mean-spirited junk at the time of release.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Ace in the Hole is amazing, and probably my favorite Billy Wilder movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

For those of you waiting like I was, Season 2 of Louie is up now, which is awesome. I'm pretty sure it just happened but it's also possible I just haven't been paying attention, so forgive me if this is old news.

• Locked thread