Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

While I've griefed in many games, I really loved griefing on a Goon-run Minecraft server. The server literally existed to gently caress with pubbies. It was advertised on gameserver websites as a PvP server, but I don't think many people actually expected what was advertised.

Spawn was the only protected area in terms of PvP and build rights. So, no one except admins could build on spawn. Also, there was a new feature that allowed players to buy 8x8 plots to make houses and store their things. Well, a lot of people stored their poo poo on their plot, but mostly they were used as trap. Since only the player that owned the plot could break blocks, they couldn't get out. It actually became a server rule that if you got stuck in a player's trap, the admin wouldn't teleport you out.

The admin also put up many, many signs all over spawn that the player housing area was just one big trap. There was also signs plastered all over the place new players spawn at letting them know that once they step outside the protected area, they can and will be killed.

So, after a new player joined the server and got killed in <5 minutes, they would inevitably start complaining. This is where I would step in:

:confused: y did i get kiled?
:clint: you must've done something wrong to this guy, what did you do?
:confused: i dint do nothing
:clint: well you must've done something or else you wouldn't be flagged for pvp
:confused: i didnt
:clint: actually, I just looked in the logs. you just joined this server
:confused: ya r u admin
:clint: I am, good man. It seems something went wrong. If you go to my shop in town, I'll set you up with some free diamond armor and sword to get you started
:confused: oh wow thnx
:clint: it's my pleasure

This happened at least 10 times everyday.

But there was a pubbie that was a little different. He was the one that got away, he was Epic.

Most everyone just ended up quitting, but Epic wasn't that bright. He was more persistent than that. He survived my constant gankings and warned every new player that logged onto the server of the Goon antics that took place -- he was a party pooper.

But the best was when, after a couple of weeks, we found out that Epic had saved up enough money to buy a plot. And, for what I assume was spite, he placed his plot exactly right next to mine. Epic didn't leave his base very often after that. He had everything he needed right inside and he taunted me about it.

I couldn't kill him and take his stuff. I couldn't grief his base. It was also this ugly rear end tower that devalued the resale value of my house.

Well, it didn't take long, but someone figured out that you could set off TNT on spawn, but only as long as you placed it on your plot. Since this was a 14 year old that played all the drat time, he was almost never NOT on the game. So, I waited until I was up real late one night, when almost no one was on.

I looted the entire place full of diamonds and armor and all of that. Epic was livid. It wasn't too long after that the admins fixed the TNT issue on spawn and you couldn't blow poo poo up by using TNT on your own plot anymore.

Epic was informed that TNT was fixed so you can't place it on your own plot anymore and now he started bragging again, and fixed his tower. He was untouchable again now that the exploit had been fixed.

But the exploit was: you can't place or start TNT on spawn, but you can start it from else where and launch it in. That was where the cannon came in:

After Epic logged back in to find his poo poo gone, he bought a new plot shortly thereafter, but it didn't matter. We had started a trend. Everyone had cannons. A week or two after, this is what spawn looked like:

(the biome got changed due to a glitch or something)

I do wish I could've kept some of the chat logs of all the rage this server caused. It was the funnest because everyone griefing was on the same team and we all helped a good grief. I have almost 500 screens, I think, of griefing on this server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
How does that cannon actually work?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HoldYourFire posted:

TNT doesn't damage blocks in water, so you set up a row of TNT, a block of TNT a bit above, then set off the row of TNT in water, and right as it's about to blow, trip the single block. The explosions from the TNT in water, while they can't blow up any blocks, will still launch the block of TNT (which is somewhat physics enabled) pretty far.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

LaTex Fetish posted:

While I've griefed in many games, I really loved griefing on a Goon-run Minecraft server. The server literally existed to gently caress with pubbies. It was advertised on gameserver websites as a PvP server, but I don't think many people actually expected what was advertised.

Spawn was the only protected area in terms of PvP and build rights. So, no one except admins could build on spawn. Also, there was a new feature that allowed players to buy 8x8 plots to make houses and store their things. Well, a lot of people stored their poo poo on their plot, but mostly they were used as trap. Since only the player that owned the plot could break blocks, they couldn't get out. It actually became a server rule that if you got stuck in a player's trap, the admin wouldn't teleport you out.

The admin also put up many, many signs all over spawn that the player housing area was just one big trap. There was also signs plastered all over the place new players spawn at letting them know that once they step outside the protected area, they can and will be killed.

So, after a new player joined the server and got killed in <5 minutes, they would inevitably start complaining. This is where I would step in:

:confused: y did i get kiled?
:clint: you must've done something wrong to this guy, what did you do?
:confused: i dint do nothing
:clint: well you must've done something or else you wouldn't be flagged for pvp
:confused: i didnt
:clint: actually, I just looked in the logs. you just joined this server
:confused: ya r u admin
:clint: I am, good man. It seems something went wrong. If you go to my shop in town, I'll set you up with some free diamond armor and sword to get you started
:confused: oh wow thnx
:clint: it's my pleasure

This happened at least 10 times everyday.

But there was a pubbie that was a little different. He was the one that got away, he was Epic.

Most everyone just ended up quitting, but Epic wasn't that bright. He was more persistent than that. He survived my constant gankings and warned every new player that logged onto the server of the Goon antics that took place -- he was a party pooper.

But the best was when, after a couple of weeks, we found out that Epic had saved up enough money to buy a plot. And, for what I assume was spite, he placed his plot exactly right next to mine. Epic didn't leave his base very often after that. He had everything he needed right inside and he taunted me about it.

I couldn't kill him and take his stuff. I couldn't grief his base. It was also this ugly rear end tower that devalued the resale value of my house.

Well, it didn't take long, but someone figured out that you could set off TNT on spawn, but only as long as you placed it on your plot. Since this was a 14 year old that played all the drat time, he was almost never NOT on the game. So, I waited until I was up real late one night, when almost no one was on.

I looted the entire place full of diamonds and armor and all of that. Epic was livid. It wasn't too long after that the admins fixed the TNT issue on spawn and you couldn't blow poo poo up by using TNT on your own plot anymore.

Epic was informed that TNT was fixed so you can't place it on your own plot anymore and now he started bragging again, and fixed his tower. He was untouchable again now that the exploit had been fixed.

But the exploit was: you can't place or start TNT on spawn, but you can start it from else where and launch it in. That was where the cannon came in:

After Epic logged back in to find his poo poo gone, he bought a new plot shortly thereafter, but it didn't matter. We had started a trend. Everyone had cannons. A week or two after, this is what spawn looked like:

(the biome got changed due to a glitch or something)

I do wish I could've kept some of the chat logs of all the rage this server caused. It was the funnest because everyone griefing was on the same team and we all helped a good grief. I have almost 500 screens, I think, of griefing on this server.

What server is this? Minecraft Goon presence with tons of pubbies to gently caress with? Sign me up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

HoldYourFire posted:

Basically, if a TNT block is lit, it has physics. Meaning, it will fall down if no blocks are under it and it will go far if there is a force that acts upon it.

So, you get a row of TNT and a block of TNT that you want to launch, or the "cannonball". You activate the row of TNT, and then light the cannonball. The force of the explosion sends the cannonball off into the distance, which then blows up after 3 or so seconds.

Here is a better demonstration:

All that redstone (circuits) light the row of TNT blocks, but there is a bunch of repeaters set to delay the signal sent to the cannonball, because you want that block of TNT lit at the last second so it will blow up at the destination and not midair.

I hope this explanation was understandable.

Cervixalot posted:

What server is this? Minecraft Goon presence with tons of pubbies to gently caress with? Sign me up.

It's the Goonimati Server

But I haven't really played in a while, so I don't know the exact situation. I know it's still a hardcore PvP server though.

LaTex Fetish fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 18, 2012

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Excellent, thanks very much!

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

This is an amazing screenshot.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Why couldn't you just set off TNT around his house, just outside the plot? Or build a nerdpole above his house, then drop the TNT down (or I dunno, some kind of physics that would make it shift over a bit to land right on it?)

Or even better, buy up all the plots around his plot, and completely block his house in.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Diplomaticus posted:

Why couldn't you just set off TNT around his house, just outside the plot? Or build a nerdpole above his house, then drop the TNT down (or I dunno, some kind of physics that would make it shift over a bit to land right on it?)

Or even better, buy up all the plots around his plot, and completely block his house in.

Well the plots existed on spawn, and you can't place things on spawn. So we were basically bombing spawn.

And I tried to buy plots to go around his house, but the people that owned them wouldn't sell them. Dicks.

Foxhound posted:

This is an amazing screenshot.

This is also a pretty fun screenshot:

The sign says "Welcome to the petting zoo. Home of creepy creature."

That's a player in there. This was a trap where we'd throw bread at these people.

LaTex Fetish fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 18, 2012

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
This was posted in the GIF thread, but I think it applies here somewhat:

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPrRjl-aiFA

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
What is GAF GOLD?

Feats of Strength
Feb 9, 2012

Man, If god told me to sacrifice my son I'd tell
him to fuck off.
I remember once in a big CTI game of Arma there was this admin on who had probably spent several hours ferrying players in an Mi-18 to the various battlefields around the island. I'd just spent 15 minutes hanging around the main base waiting for him to come back and pick up the rest of us still in the spawn and just as I was about to get in the helicopter he took off. I'd already been waiting 15 minutes and I didn't fancy wasting another for him to come back so I shot in the air to get his attention, and he accused me of shooting at the helicopter and kicked me after a brief argument..

A few hours later I rejoined, anyone whose played any of the BIS flashpoint/arma games will know that the game runs on a realistic timescale, by the time I had rejoined it was night-time and the same mission was still going on, and he refused to let me in the helicopter telling people to TK me if i tried. I couldn't believe this so I jumped into a Jeep and switched the headlights off waiting for him to come back, next time he landed I rammed the helicopter full force sending it spinning into the air and killing about 20 teammates, and the game blamed the pilot for the deaths (I think it may have been a server mod to stop people griefing/flying badly) which was an added bonus, the admin begins raging and has no idea it was me. I repeated this several times once he'd respawned and got in the chopper again. It was too dark to tell it was my jeep and people had been deploying smoke grenades everywhere.

Feats of Strength fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 18, 2012

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Pope Guilty posted:

What is GAF GOLD?

Apparently some sort of in joke on the neogaf video game forums about a non existent higher tier of membership.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

1stGear posted:

Is...is rocket Tim Buckley?

No. Whatever else he is, at least Rocket has some talent for his craft and made something worthwhile.

e: but his forums' userbase is awfully similar to CAD's.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

LaTex Fetish posted:

:lol:

The city was a death trap for new players. Every house had an entry that would lure in unsuspecting players and trap them.

We used the worst anti-grief plugin that couldn't compensate for tnt, it was sad. The idea was that we were trying to encourage players to stick around, so I thought that if players could have secure homes they would! It worked but it was really a self-grief for me as they would stick around ... in their secure homes.

So, instead of a PvP server we had a bitch-fest. New players quickly learned that the road to prosperity was to strip mine until you have enough money to buy a plot, then claim your land and camp there invulnerable. Not the best situation on a server where you wanted mayhem and destruction.

I welcomed the TnT with open-arms. Initially I banned it's use because I wanted word to spread around to other goons what was going on. Once it was established it didn't take long for the TnT cannons to appear. I welcomed them.

The server has been very slow lately; we're idling before the next major Minecraft release. I'm going to bring protection back in some form, just not purchasable land as anything truly permanent is a nightmare.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I love how the swastika is the only intact structure in that screen shot.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Hah, nice spot on the swastika

All that has nothing to do with Minecraft as I know it. I love it.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I played a reckoning paladin back in vanilla World of Warcraft. Paladins were quite crap damage dealers, but amazing healers. But I didn't want that, so I rolled with a reckoning spec which does nill damage in PvE, but can literally 1-shot anything in pvp under the right circumstances.

Reckoning was a talent high in protection tree, so you already had quite a bit of survival from those talents. What it did was generate an extra attack whenever you were critically hit (which happened a lot in pvp). You could store the attacks and unleash five at a time, and with the Vanilla WoW health pools it often meant 1-shotting. Reckoning paladins were basically all about stacking high stamina so you could surive the attacks, then surprising the enemy with a 1-shot.

I had pretty much best gear for a reck paladin, Rank 13 gear with tons of stamina and some offensive stats. I also had an Earthstrike trinket which boosted your attack power by a lot for 20 seconds. The only lovely thing was my weapon (Unstoppable Force) but it got the job done.

I stalked around in Silithus, a very active level 60 area. I pulled a mob, waited for it to crit me five times then walked around looking for some poor guy to kill. Most of the time they couldn't even react, they were literally 1-shot. I got a bit of a reputation because I did this for months, and finally I was featured in a comic by a famous horde "gank squad", who also ran around Silithus killing people. I couldn't really stand up against 10 people, but reckoning was so powerful that I sometimes 1-shot the Rank 13 geared (tons of stamina / armor) warrior who led the group. Then he started running with tons of healers literally to hunt me down, and that's when I unleashed the secret weapon of Bubble + Hearthstone. Bubble is a paladin ability that made you invulnerable to everything for 12 seconds. Hearthstone is an item that has a 10 seconds cast time, and returns you to an inn.

Whenever the guy came around, I just bubble+hs'ed. He got so mad I was the major feature of his "comic" below (I'm on the last few pages, Kehah).

http://farqtheorc.com/wowcomic_paladins-suck.html

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
You bothered reading that awful comic just to see if you rated a mention?
e: I bothered reading that awful comic just to see if you rated a mention :psyduck:

Only real griefing I've ever done in games is in Battlefield Bad Company 2, where if there's a particularly useless friendly sniper you can shoot him in the face with the tracer dart and it covers his screen with a blinking red light. That's always fun.

quite stretched out fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 19, 2012

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BigSexyWill posted:

e: I bothered reading that awful comic just to see if you rated a mention :psyduck:

If I know these people well enough, he probably couldn't stop bragging about how he finally killed that paladin and noted how he did it in his comic.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
That's some real sperg there. "I'm gonna make an internet "comic" about how cool I am at ganking people with my party!" :tubular:

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

If I know these people well enough, he probably couldn't stop bragging about how he finally killed that paladin and noted how he did it in his comic.

Not even close. He made it seem like he effortlessly slew the vile paladin one-on-one despite the dishonorable reckoning bomb, and that Kehah forever afterward bubble-hearthed the moment he saw the lone warrior coming.

On a side note, considering what reckoning was once capable of, a 5-stack never did seem really 'bomb'-ish to me.

Almanac
Mar 16, 2008

OLD SCHOOL
I read the first dozen panels of that "comic". I think I done got griefed.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think I got... maybe 4, 5 panels in. My tolerance for stupid is much lower then I remember it being.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I think I got... maybe 4, 5 panels in. My tolerance for stupid is much lower then I remember it being.

Jesus that comic is godawful.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
That guy was pretty funny but really a sperg. Me and this Farq guy first met in battlegrounds when we were both grinding rank 13. I was leading my team and he was leading his, and we pretty much always stomped them 3:0, at least until his team started leaving battlegrounds as soon as he saw my team.

I don't mean to brag, but there was a lot building up into the spergcomic. Can't say I'm innocent though, I raged pretty hard when his ganksquad rolled over me when my hearthstone was on cooldown :v:

edit:

BigSexyWill posted:

He always made a forum post on the realm forums whenever he made a new "comic", and I saw my name in the OP. I didn't really actively seek out if I got mentioned

texting my ex fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 19, 2012

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

"No soup for you? That's a thing I'm saying now".

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Taliesyn posted:

On a side note, considering what reckoning was once capable of, a 5-stack never did seem really 'bomb'-ish to me.
A much smaller bomb than it was pre-nerf but it was still the most exciting thing about playing Ret so I don't blame them for holding onto the name.

King Zog
Apr 9, 2009
I only have a minor grief which I am not sure even works anymore.
In World of Warcraft, you can get several mounts which all have some kind of special animation and sound if you stand still and click on space. Running while clicking on space makes the mount jump.

Anyways, the grief lies in the horse, camel or goat mounts specificially because these mounts makes some horrible noise if you stand still and click on space. The key is to shift quickly between running, stopping, clicking on space and repeat. This will make the mount make a bombardment of horrible sounds and will spam players with the mount sound if they have their game sound on.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

A much smaller bomb than it was pre-nerf but it was still the most exciting thing about playing Ret so I don't blame them for holding onto the name.

Ok, fair enough.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

King Zog posted:

In World of Warcraft, you can get several mounts which all have some kind of special animation and sound if you stand still and click on space. Running while clicking on space makes the mount jump.

Anyways, the grief lies in the horse, camel or goat mounts specificially because these mounts makes some horrible noise if you stand still and click on space. The key is to shift quickly between running, stopping, clicking on space and repeat. This will make the mount make a bombardment of horrible sounds and will spam players with the mount sound if they have their game sound on.

Reminds me of a common WoW grief, but one that's never not hilarious. I loved having an Elekk (Space Elephant) mount because they were loving HUGE. If you chugged Winterfall Firewater/Halloween Candy it would further increase your size as your mount scaled with you. Then I would park over a popular NPC, usually an epic vendor, and just AFK. People would be unable to interact with the NPC and I would get slammed with report threats because people were unable to exhange 5 marks of the bear rear end (awarded for harvesting many bear asses) for a giant fuckoff sword.

All players had to do was enable nameplates (Shift+V) by default and they could use the NPC by clicking that instead of the model.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sitchelin posted:

Reminds me of a common WoW grief, but one that's never not hilarious. I loved having an Elekk (Space Elephant) mount because they were loving HUGE. If you chugged Winterfall Firewater/Halloween Candy it would further increase your size as your mount scaled with you. Then I would park over a popular NPC, usually an epic vendor, and just AFK. People would be unable to interact with the NPC and I would get slammed with report threats because people were unable to exhange 5 marks of the bear rear end (awarded for harvesting many bear asses) for a giant fuckoff sword.

All players had to do was enable nameplates (Shift+V) by default and they could use the NPC by clicking that instead of the model.

Tauren could get on one of the Mammoth mounts and do the same thing, and actually get so big it would block out the nameplate of some of the smaller NPCs. :pseudo:

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Best WoW grief was sitting on the Sunwell Island NPCs with your largest mounts (generally elekks at the time). Right at release there were hundreds of people trying to do the new dailies and whenever they tried to turn in a quest they would right click us and auto attack, causing the guards to murder them in a split second. We ended up doing it for so long we had GMs message us to quit it!

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

King Zog posted:

This reminds me of an item sold in the wrath of the lich king expansion. You could buy a train set at a toy shop that would make the players near where you place it do the /train emote. They would raise their arms yell "choo choo!" and such. Dropping it in a busy place like the auction house would cause 50+ people to start doing the dumb emote, creating a god awful noise. Blizzard later added a toy that you could buy from the same shop that would destroy train sets, to give you an idea of how much it drove people nuts.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
z0mby, by complete coincedence, griefed the "DELETE THIS" kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RczKHUWyVb4 at 4:20.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peanut President posted:

I cannot believe that that this kid didn't learn any kind of lesson. This is the best thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What's with this kid. Does he attach a vehicle pod to a wall and just sit there watching people or something? In both videos he's in that pod and it's attached to a wall and someone has smashed objects into him.

ButterChugger
Oct 12, 2007

I lost it when the kid said "and don't just say 'what'!"

E: wait, the last video the guy said hello, not what. It's not funny anymore. I thought he was that traumatized by the last guy and had ptsd flashbacks.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
God the things people say when they're angry in those games

"I bet this kid is a GOAT ROPER!"
"If I saw him on the street I'D KILL HIM"
"Ban his behind"

One guy also said "oh seinfeld what the hell was that" which was a lot funnier to me when I didn't realize seinfeld was the name of a player. I thought he was just coming up with a G-rated expletive!

edit: Not really a grief, because I didn't do it INTENTIONALLY, but I have a friend who is really really competitive. She does NOT like losing and is the kind of person who will quit a game if she's losing a lot and be done with it for the rest of the night. If you're on a team with her, oh boy you better not gently caress up or she'll get pissed.

Well my method of playing Counter Strike, because I'm not good at the game and especially when I don't know the maps, is to run. just keep running. and never stop running. I will shoot someone who comes around a corner as soon as I see them.

Well unfortunately, a lot of times that person ends up being my teammate. Boy did that tactic not make her happy :v:

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 20, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bible
May 8, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 46 hours!

Peanut President posted:

What happens to a kid that makes him like this? He immediately goes into insults and shrieking demands. It simply never occurs to him that some random griefer isn't going to obey him, especially if he goes more and more insane and enraged.

• Locked thread