Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HidingFromGoro
Jun 5, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

from that article:

How exactly could the plaintiffs be hosed over worse?

It can definitely get worse at ADX Florence- a lot worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/06/17/501097/arizona-sheriff-joe-arpaio-arrests-6-year-old-undocumented-immigrant/

Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio Arrests 6-Year-Old Undocumented Immigrant

quote:

Joe Arpaio, the controversial Arizona Sheriff from Maricaopa County, arrested a 6-year-old undocumented immigrant on Friday. The move came the same day President Obama announced a new policy halting deportations for young undocumented immigrants.

The Arizona Republic has the story:

The girl was with 15 other people believed to be in the country illegally who were traveling to the Midwest and northeast United States, said Chris Hegstrom, spokesman for the Sheriff’s Office.

“She’s been turned over to ICE (Immigration and Customs Enforcement) to try to determine where she’s from. She told us she’s from El Salvador. That’s what she told us,” he said.

The arrest took place Friday night at an undisclosed location in northern Maricopa County…

The sheriff said his deputies arresting child suspected of being an illegal immigrant the same day Obama implemented the policy is a coincidence. But if more illegal children enter the country after hearing about the new policy, Arpaio said it may not be by happenstance.

“Are we going to get more of these situations where illegals feel like now they’re going to be safe? I don’t know,” he said.

Immediately following the President’s announcement Arpaio told a local ABC affiliate that it would not impact his approach toward young undocumented immigrants. “They will still be arrested,” he said.

Arpaio is currently being sued by the Department of Justice for multiple civil rights violations. He also admitted to using taxpayer resources to pursue an investigation into President Obama’s birth certificate, a widely debunked conspiracy theory.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
"Are we going to get more of these situations where illegals feel like now they’re going to be safe? I don’t know,”

Ahahaha, Jesus, God forbid people 'feel safe', can't have any of that poo poo.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Down Right Fierce posted:

"Are we going to get more of these situations where illegals feel like now they’re going to be safe? I don’t know,”

Note how he called them "illegals" instead of "people" or "human beings".

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
Heard a decent segment on NPR about the use of solitary, and how a bunch of states are beginning to (slowly) pull back on its use. I guess it has to do with ongoing congressional hearings. To my surprise, it almost sounded like some prison admins 'get it.'

I'll wait until something actually happens before I smile too hard, but it was nice to hear something other than total poo poo....

http://www.npr.org/series/5584841/life-in-solitary-confinement

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Down Right Fierce posted:

That man has a very special room in hell waiting for him.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The only Hell that exists is Maricopa County.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE posted:

Heard a decent segment on NPR about the use of solitary, and how a bunch of states are beginning to (slowly) pull back on its use. I guess it has to do with ongoing congressional hearings. To my surprise, it almost sounded like some prison admins 'get it.'

I'll wait until something actually happens before I smile too hard, but it was nice to hear something other than total poo poo....

http://www.npr.org/series/5584841/life-in-solitary-confinement

I think all the admins 'get' is that their state's fiscal interests align for the moment with human interests.
But I'll take anything we can get.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

joat mon posted:

But I'll take anything we can get.

Amen.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

VideoTapir posted:

The only Hell that exists is Maricopa County.

I thought that was Texas?

Or is Texas just Purgatory?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Yes, Joe, I can see it now, wave of brown 6-year old girls running toward the AZ border.
Get bent, Jackass.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.gainesville.com/article/20120614/ARTICLES/120619789?tc=ar

65 year old veteran gets a 20 year sentence for firing a few shots into the ground. The prosecutor has the gall to APPEAL THE loving CASE when it gets overturned.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nm posted:

Yes, Joe, I can see it now, wave of brown 6-year old girls running toward the AZ border.
Get bent, Jackass.

They'll never make it through the tire trench.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

-Troika- posted:

65 year old veteran gets a 20 year sentence for firing a few shots into the ground. The prosecutor has the gall to APPEAL THE loving CASE when it gets overturned.

Good to know that the George Zimmerman prosecutor has found his claim to fame. What does a society do when everything about it includingespecially the citizenry are terrible and not worth saving?

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Hey GOP

gently caress you

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/06/20/503226/american-action-forum-prison-rape/

quote:

A right-wing “think tank” released a report today criticizing the Obama administration’s new anti-prison rape protections as a “burden” that is too “costly” and “heavy-handed.”

This week, the Department of Justice published new standards addressing the epidemic of rape and sexual abuse in our nation’s prisons. The guidelines, which apply immediately to federal prisons and give financial incentives for states to comply, are a laudable, widely praised, and long overdue step in combating rape in the United States.

The American Action Forum, a Wall Street-funded group whose C(4) runs millions of dollars in attack ads against Democrats, responded by lambasting the move as too “costly” and “complicated.” From their report:

Analysis: Despite an admirable goal, this “landmark rule” imposes a costly, complicated regulatory framework on states currently battling recurring budget deficits, offers little assurance of success, and fails to explain this new burden to the states as required by the Unfunded Mandate Reform Act. [...]

Not only is success questionable at best, the DOJ’s own estimates illustrate the fiscal effects of such a heavy-handed approach.

God forbid we put money to prevent rapes.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
You'd think the GOP would oppose prison rape on the grounds that rape isn't family friendly, and also that the 'homosexuality' (ignoring the reality of contextual sexuality not necessarily reflecting ordinary orientation, likewise with non-consensual acts) is wrong.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
A lot of people- including a lot of people that you might have otherwise thought were not contemptible pieces of poo poo- think prison rape is the best thing ever. They love it, they joke about it, and they think, like many ignorant assholes, that it's a crime deterrent.

If you had the ability to ascend into the collective unconscious and surgically excise ideas from humanity, "harsh punishments deter people from doing things" would be a great first pick.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
Yeah, it comes up time and time again and I know that in my experience, people will make prison rape jokes even about people who were known to be innocent. It normally goes
"Don't drop the soap."
Oh so sexual assault and prison rape are funny?
"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."
Oh, even if they are innocent and proven so beyond a shadow of a doubt?
"Well that... wha... hu... hmm."

Like, people just kind of stare off at that point. Its just world and desensitization, at least in my experience dealing with it.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Pope Guilty posted:

A lot of people- including a lot of people that you might have otherwise thought were not contemptible pieces of poo poo- think prison rape is the best thing ever. They love it, they joke about it, and they think, like many ignorant assholes, that it's a crime deterrent.

If you had the ability to ascend into the collective unconscious and surgically excise ideas from humanity, "harsh punishments deter people from doing things" would be a great first pick.

Actually, about that... :pwn:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Loomer posted:

You'd think the GOP would oppose prison rape on the grounds that rape isn't family friendly, and also that the 'homosexuality' (ignoring the reality of contextual sexuality not necessarily reflecting ordinary orientation, likewise with non-consensual acts) is wrong.

No but see, it's OK because it's punishing criminals, see? If they didn't want to get raped they'd never have committed a crime that would send them to jail. And if they committed a crime because they were starving and couldn't afford food, so they stole something, well, they shouldn't have chosen to be poor, you know?

They were asking for it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ToxicSlurpee posted:

No but see, it's OK because it's punishing criminals, see? If they didn't want to get raped they'd never have committed a crime that would send them to jail. And if they committed a crime because they were starving and couldn't afford food, so they stole something, well, they shouldn't have chosen to be poor, you know?

They were asking for it.
"Criminals aren't humans."
-What most people in America seem to believe.

They also refuse to acknowledge that the guy that want to have raped in prison -- the scary murderer, the gang banger, will be the perp in prison. The victim is that 18 year ols we sent in for simple possession or petty theft. (Sex Offenders are not generally put in PC, so they don't see the "punishment" people so want.)
Of course, even if these scary people were the ones getting raped, it would still be intolerable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Loomer posted:

There were actually some Freepers who used this exact logic to grudgingly admit that Obama was right for once in a broken clock sort of way.

Down Right Fierce
Jan 30, 2011
There's also the whole notion of the purpose of prison and what people think it actually is for. There are a lot of different responses to that but the one that stands out most to me is when people agree that someone has "served their time and paid their debt to society" and then turn around and refuse to deal with anyone who ever served time because they are criminals and will surely just committ more crime (even if they were innocent the first time!).

Theres also the people who don't see how treating a human like some kind of an animal and tossing them into a nightmarish hellhole for any length of time might be a bad thing and have negative effects on the person when they are released back into society (the answer, of course, is to just never let anyone reenter society and keep them on a prison planet forever like the Chronicles of Riddick).

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://boingboing.net/2012/06/18/ninth-circuit-to-dea-putting.html

quote:

Ninth Circuit to DEA: putting a gun to an 11-year-old's head is not OK

By Mark Frauenfelder at 1:46 pm Monday, Jun 18

The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals told the DEA that holding a gun to an 11-year-old girl's head constitutes “intentional infliction of emotional distress,” and they should stop doing it. No doubt the DEA will appeal the ruling.

At 7 a.m. on January 20, 2007, DEA agents battered down the door to Thomas and Rosalie Avina’s mobile home in Seeley, California, in search of suspected drug trafficker Louis Alvarez. Thomas Avina met the agents in his living room and told them they were making a mistake. Shouting “Don’t you loving move,” the agents forced Thomas Avina to the floor at gunpoint, and handcuffed him and his wife, who had been lying on a couch in the living room. As the officers made their way to the back of the house, where the Avina’s 11-year-old and 14-year-old daughters were sleeping, Rosalie Avina screamed, “Don’t hurt my babies. Don’t hurt my babies.”

The agents entered the 14-year-old girl’s room first, shouting “Get down on the loving ground.” The girl, who was lying on her bed, rolled onto the floor, where the agents handcuffed her. Next they went to the 11-year-old’s room. The girl was sleeping. Agents woke her up by shouting “Get down on the loving ground.” The girl’s eyes shot open, but she was, according to her own testimony, “frozen in fear.” So the agents dragged her onto the floor. While one agent handcuffed her, another held a gun to her head.

Moments later the two daughters were carried into the living room and placed next to their parents on the floor while DEA agents ransacked their home. After 30 minutes, the agents removed the children’s handcuffs. After two hours, the agents realized they had the wrong house—the product of a sloppy license plate transcription --and left.

Reason -- Ninth Circuit to DEA: putting a gun to an 11-Year-Old's head is not OK

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:toot:

http://www.scotusblog.com/2012/06/opinion-recap-easing-the-crack-disparity/#more-147186

The SC ruled that anyone who is awaiting sentencing but not in the slammer yet can take advantage of the Fair Sentencing Act.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

-Troika- posted:

Did you actually read the article you posted? All four pages? Because the second sentence is a completely inaccurate description of the case.

First of all, the man was convicted of aggravated assault involving the discharge of a firearm - he pulled a gun on a bunch of unarmed teenagers, and fired it several times. However, the original trial judge not only ignored mandatory sentencing laws when sentencing the man (giving him only a 3-year sentence instead of the legally-mandated 20 years), he decided to outright declare the mandatory minimum sentencing law to be unconstitutional.

Now, Florida's 10-20-Life law, which mandates 10 years for any crime in which a firearm was involved and 20 years if the firearm was discharged during commission of the crime, is virtually indefensible. Like all minimum-sentencing laws, it's immoral, it's ineffective at either deterrence or rehabilitation, and judges hate it with a passion. However, none of those things mean that it's necessarily unconstitutional. A verdict like that reaches way beyond that one man's sentence - it sets a precedent that could affect court cases all over the jurisdiction. There was absolutely no way in hell it wasn't going to be appealed - and, unfortunately, overturned.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

What the hell is so hard about getting the right address? I feel like the government should hire me as a consultant for $500 an hour where I can review these cases and I can determine the answers to such questions like "Is this the right address?" and "Should we even bother raiding the home?"

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Harry posted:

What the hell is so hard about getting the right address? I feel like the government should hire me as a consultant for $500 an hour where I can review these cases and I can determine the answers to such questions like "Is this the right address?" and "Should we even bother raiding the home?"

Sounds like there needs to be a better incentive to get the right address. How about this:

quote:

In Indiana, police officers are upset over a new law allowing residents to use deadly force against public servants, including law enforcement officers, who unlawfully enter their homes.
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/guns/new-indiana-law-allows-citizens-shoot-police-officers

KingEup fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 23, 2012

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Harry posted:

They get to rough up twice as many people if they get the house wrong first. Shoot twice as many pets. Knock over twice as much furniture. Why would you want to get it right (if you were a cop who signed up to do these things)?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Harry posted:

Well, the article states that the incorrect address was the product of "a sloppy license plate transcription" - meaning that a person with poor handwriting wrote down the license plate # of a car that the druglord was suspected to be in, but when somebody else looked up the address associated with that license plate, they misread the written-down number and thus looked up the info associated with a different car.

It's not really that unreasonable of a mistake to make, which is why cops shouldn't default to "kick in the door and bring everyone inside to the ground at gunpoint", because information is never perfect, mistakes are made, and cases of mistaken identity happen all the time. In this case, it doesn't really matter if the address was correct or not, because the trial court found that holding a gun to an 11-year-old's head would have been unreasonable even if it were the right house.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society
http://ideas.time.com/2012/06/25/its-time-to-end-solitary-confinement-in-american-prisons/

Time article about solitary. Decent overall I guess, but it contains this soul-shattering conclusion.

quote:

The anti-solitary confinement campaign has one more factor working in its favor: the current weak economy. At the hearing, Senator Durbin noted that solitary confinement is extremely expensive. His state’s Supermax prison cost more than $61,000 per inmate in 2010, compared to about $22,000 for other prisons. With government budgets hard-pressed these days, solitary confinement may simply be a practice we can no longer afford.

Yes that's the right reason to stop torture. :fuckoff:

cf1140
Jun 28, 2008
Well, the Supreme Court ruled no life without parole for 14 year olds. I guess this is good news, but really it's bad news this was even up for debate. And there are actually people criticizing the decision in the comments section.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/25/justice/scotus-juvenile-life-sentences/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

BelgianSandwich posted:

Well, the Supreme Court ruled no life without parole for 14 year olds. I guess this is good news, but really it's bad news this was even up for debate. And there are actually people criticizing the decision in the comments section.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/25/justice/scotus-juvenile-life-sentences/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

So, what happens to the 2500 people currently in jail with this sentence?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

BelgianSandwich posted:

Minor correction: only mandatory JLWOP is unconstitutional. There are still--and will continue to be--only a handful of states that do not allow this sentencing option at all.

Pillowpants posted:

So, what happens to the 2500 people currently in jail with this sentence?

I believe it's resentencing hearings, but only for those sentenced under a mandatory JLWOP structure. All the discretionaries are SOL.

Even so, an important (if incremental) step towards progress.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

Nice Davis posted:

Minor correction: only mandatory JLWOP is unconstitutional.

So you can still send kids to jail for literally ever? Just as long as their crime could allow 25-to?

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

So you can still send kids to jail for literally ever? Just as long as their crime could allow 25-to?
As long as the sentencing authority has discretion, yup.

YOUR UNCOOL NIECE
May 6, 2007

Kanga-Rat Murder Society

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

As long as the sentencing authority has discretion, yup.

Can we just post 'DTA' in this post-LF world or what's the right protocol here??

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Yeah so instead of sentencing them to life without parole, we can sentence them to life with the possibility of parole and then just never give it to them. Way to go!

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

While it's a lazy way to respond on my part there really is no reason to even enter into the narrative. There is no debate and there is no discussion here. What we have is a system that is horrifically efficient in making money. If the PIC finds out that they can save a dime by pumping in sewage instead of clean drinking water you can bet your bottom loving dollar they will do it. It's not right vs. wrong. It's just cold calculated business.

In regards to the earlier post about the woman being restrained during child birth, most people who we can still classify as a human being can see that it's wrong. However I think the dialog about the intent of why it occurs is incorrect. I believe that power tripping poo poo head officers are obviously a reality, but the truth is more likely to be this: Prisons are very large efficiently ran corporations, at some point some smart guy in front of an excel document noticed they were a hair off what they should be spending for insurance for officers. Some lawyers and accountants figured out that if they remove any risk of a woman kicking a cop in balls during child birth they can save ~0.42% on their insurance premiums.

poo poo is hosed up because it's very profitable for it to be that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Yes, but only if they've committed murder. And the fact that it's progress can't be minimized, since the court is moving to restrict the use of such punishments against juveniles at a rather quick pace - the Supreme Court only abolished the use of the death penalty against minors in 2005.

• Locked thread