Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

That's a thin-rear end surface on the racism. Not so much for us whitefellas, more for the Southeast Asians.

Well, I'm talking from experience only. I don't get a lot of racism directed at me here, but I did in Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Oh true. As you were.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

TetsuoTW posted:

Oh true. As you were.

It's actually bad in its own way. I'm less aware of how tough it is to be something other than a white male.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I dunno, I've found seeing the performing loving monkeys they keep getting on television (like that one idiot cartoon they keep having in advertisements and panel shows and poo poo, I forget his name but I'm sure literally every expat in Taiwan knows who I mean) has kind of made me think about what it must be like for minorities elsewhere, who get it far worse than we do here.

Also seeing people like Doris Brougham, who's been in Taiwan since 1951, continue to get called "foreigners" in English-language media here kind of fucks me off too.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
No one has ever spat at me here or harassed the woman I was talking in English to for whoring herself to foreigners.

I have never been told I couldn't go somewhere because I was foreign.

Edit: Oh, here's a good one. No street vendor in Taiwan has hit me in the face with a bar stool because I tried to order from a female member of he staff.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jun 15, 2012

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Haraksha posted:

No one has ever spat at me here or harassed the woman I was talking in English to for whoring herself to foreigners.

I have never been told I couldn't go somewhere because I was foreign.

Edit: Oh, here's a good one. No street vendor in Taiwan has hit me in the face with a bar stool because I tried to order from a female member of he staff.

I've been told I couldn't go into a few bars for being white here, but I always figured it was because some foreign jerk off caused trouble there before. So really I never blamed them (those places were always small bars that catered to Taiwanese people anyway).

Jesus, did you really get hit in the face like that in Korea? How normal is that kind of thing? So much of what I hear about Korea is bad, but my cousin lives there and she always says its a lot better than people say. She is a girl though so maybe her experience is different...

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system
sup guys i'm going to taiwan in early July.

Just wondering if its possible to stay around Taichung and visit the Taroko Gorge and get back to Taichung in a day ???

edit:

Oh right, i'm going as a tourist, i'll be in Taichung for like 4 days, Tainan for like 3 days and 4 days in Taipei.

I've done some really simple research on what to do/see, but seeing as you guys seem to have been there for ages, i'll just ask for suggestions :D

So tell me what do i have to see/do in the region you're in :D

dlink fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 15, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

HappyHelmet posted:

I've been told I couldn't go into a few bars for being white here, but I always figured it was because some foreign jerk off caused trouble there before. So really I never blamed them (those places were always small bars that catered to Taiwanese people anyway).

Jesus, did you really get hit in the face like that in Korea? How normal is that kind of thing? So much of what I hear about Korea is bad, but my cousin lives there and she always says its a lot better than people say. She is a girl though so maybe her experience is different...

Yes, I got hit in the face with a bar stool for ordering from a female. Basically, I sat down at a street vendor's stall, I ordered, then the dude came round, grabbed a stool, and whipped me in the face with it.

Normal is a strange word to use for Korea. Some people will spend months there with no problem. Some people will have weekly episodes with the Korean guy camping the foreign bar so he can slut-shame the women hanging out there. It's a weird country.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

dlink posted:

Just wondering if its possible to stay around Taichung and visit the Taroko Gorge and get back to Taichung in a day ???

edit:

Oh right, i'm going as a tourist, i'll be in Taichung for like 4 days, Tainan for like 3 days and 4 days in Taipei.

I've done some really simple research on what to do/see, but seeing as you guys seem to have been there for ages, i'll just ask for suggestions :D

I think it'll be pretty difficult to get out to Taroko and back in a day, but it might be possible. I was coming from Tainan, and actually did a whole loop of the island on the train. We left pretty drat early in the morning, headed south, around the bottom, up through Taitung, and got into Hualien around noon, if I recall correctly. We ate lunch in Hualien and then got a taxi to drive us around the gorge for the day, we did that until after nightfall, got back to Hualien around 7:30 PM or so, met up for dinner with some friends. Our train leaving was at around 2 AM, so we had a bunch of time to kill, just goofed off although it was a Thursday or something so there wasn't exactly a whole lot going on.

The train ride back...even though it was an overnight train, it still made a decent amount of stops, the lights were on, etc. Basically, I didn't get any goddamn sleep at all. We rolled back in to Tainan at like 11-something, so in all the trip took a bit more than 24-hours, and we were trashed as gently caress afterwards, but it was a lot of fun.

Something similar might be doable if you really are strapped for time but want to make sure you did it. We didn't have a ton of time in the gorge itself but our taxi driver was good and got us to hit pretty much all of the major spots, anyway. It helped that it wasn't insanely busy since it wasn't peak travel time, so we were kinda able to zoom around from place to place, I hear the tour buses and stuff can get really bad at certain times.

edit: Also, I think with your username/title and the recent job opening he posted, you most definitely should hang out with Duckfarts ;)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I think this video gets at what I was talking about pretty well. Taiwan loves its foreign monkeys, Korea wants them all to loving die.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNHYYrvMrk

dlink
Sep 11, 2001
dlink hub system

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I think it'll be pretty difficult to get out to Taroko and back in a day, but it might be possible. I was coming from Tainan, and actually did a whole loop of the island on the train. We left pretty drat early in the morning, headed south, around the bottom, up through Taitung, and got into Hualien around noon, if I recall correctly. We ate lunch in Hualien and then got a taxi to drive us around the gorge for the day, we did that until after nightfall, got back to Hualien around 7:30 PM or so, met up for dinner with some friends. Our train leaving was at around 2 AM, so we had a bunch of time to kill, just goofed off although it was a Thursday or something so there wasn't exactly a whole lot going on.

The train ride back...even though it was an overnight train, it still made a decent amount of stops, the lights were on, etc. Basically, I didn't get any goddamn sleep at all. We rolled back in to Tainan at like 11-something, so in all the trip took a bit more than 24-hours, and we were trashed as gently caress afterwards, but it was a lot of fun.

Something similar might be doable if you really are strapped for time but want to make sure you did it. We didn't have a ton of time in the gorge itself but our taxi driver was good and got us to hit pretty much all of the major spots, anyway. It helped that it wasn't insanely busy since it wasn't peak travel time, so we were kinda able to zoom around from place to place, I hear the tour buses and stuff can get really bad at certain times.

edit: Also, I think with your username/title and the recent job opening he posted, you most definitely should hang out with Duckfarts ;)

Was the taxi ride expensive ?

Because we will be in Taichung/Kaoshiung area when we intend to visit Taroko, i was thinking of getting a cab to cut right through the mountains for the day and back.

Also whats there to do in tainan (or areas around tainan), if i only have 3 days!?

Nah i'm not an IT person... this account was from a friend..

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

dlink posted:

Also whats there to do in tainan (or areas around tainan), if i only have 3 days!?

Nah i'm not an IT person... this account was from a friend..
Eat.

Look up that region's specialty foods and go eat them. This already describes most of my trips to anywhere ever.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
In Tainan, honestly, aside from eating, as duckfarts suggested, most of the touristy stuff to do here is just like, historical stuff. It's interesting if you're into it, but if you're not it could easily just seem like a bunch of old buildings that are kind of a waste of time. Plus, even if you're into it, you could probably hit all the "big" sites in a day, anyway. It's not a very big city.

There's more to do if you head down to Kaohsiung, if you're only there for 3 days you probably won't be too bored.

The taxi ride for the day around Taroko was NT$1600, which seemed like a steal to me. The dude drove us around wherever we wanted, pointed out a lot of cool poo poo, and even bought us some bananas. I mean, for 7 hours of someone's time, including just the actual distance traveled in the car, it was a pretty good deal. We probably could have gotten him for longer if we had shown up earlier in the day.

However, for a cross-island taxi trip, no idea how much that would run you!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

POCKET CHOMP posted:

However, for a cross-island taxi trip, no idea how much that would run you!
This is less getting a taxi and more just hiring a driver outright. You could also maybe just take a cross-country bus; they're pretty cush and not at all like Greyhound.

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
I've only ever hired a taxi to Kenting. Kaohsiung to Kenting is 1500NT.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Haraksha posted:

I think this video gets at what I was talking about pretty well. Taiwan loves its foreign monkeys, Korea wants them all to loving die.

Haha, :wtf: is wrong with the white guys' voices? They sound like they were sped up or something.
e: Oh... I guess everyone's voices are sped up?

V There must be a better way, like with a voice synthesizer or just having the newscaster read quotes instead of showing the person. I burst out laughing at the guy who's all "She called me like 30 times man!" in a Chipmunk voice :D

hitension fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 16, 2012

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

hitension posted:

Haha, :wtf: is wrong with the white guys' voices? They sound like they were sped up or something.
e: Oh... I guess everyone's voices are sped up?

To hide the identity.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

To whoever it was who was asking about mental health counselling services in Taiwan, apparently the Community Services Center in Tianmu (Taipei) has a staff of counsellors who deal with all kinds of stuff.

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
Had to share the absurdity of this.

I was just asked my blood type when applying for a job here in Taiwan... :suicide:

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Asia, dude, that's not really that weird. Or, I mean, it's pretty weird but it's not really surprising.

No work for us tomorrow here in Tainan. Two weather days in two weeks. They've got sandbags out in front of my building. Should be, uhh...interesting.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

So who's up for betting how much later than the rest of the island Hau Lung-bin's announcement on this typhoon day is going to be and who Ma's going to fire for it?

thegoat
Jan 26, 2004
Kaohsiung is shut down. Already pretty windy / rainy

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

So who's up for betting how much later than the rest of the island Hau Lung-bin's announcement on this typhoon day is going to be and who Ma's going to fire for it?
Tainan on down is off work and school; Taipei and such up north are still on. If it's not a clear, sunny day tomorrow, chances are the afternoon will be off like the last downpour.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

USDA Choice posted:

Had to share the absurdity of this.

I was just asked my blood type when applying for a job here in Taiwan... :suicide:

Imagine if being asked what your sign was had evolved into a legitimate interview question, in both business and social settings. That's Asia with blood types. They have personality profiles for every type.

Just get used to answering the following from every person you meet:
1) Where are you from?
2) How old are you?
3) What's your blood type?
4) Are you married?
5) Do you like Taiwanese girls?
6) What's your job?
7) How much do you make?
8) How tall are you?
9) Do you like stinky tofu?

Edit: And when I say Asia, I don't mean every loving Asian. It's just a really typical question to get asked on this side of the world.

Atlas Hugged fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 19, 2012

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Tainan on down is off work and school; Taipei and such up north are still on. If it's not a clear, sunny day tomorrow, chances are the afternoon will be off like the last downpour.
It's now basically Taichung down along the west coast, along with Kinmen and Penghu....

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

According to a friend, the deal is that due to the heat from the late announcement last time, Hau promised that all cancellations would be made the day before. Work/school is still on for tomorrow, so it seems like it's definitely on. On the other hand, if poo poo hits the fan, I wonder if they'll err on the side of safety or stubbornness.

vvv: everybody wins!

right?

duckfarts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 19, 2012

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
They will wait too long from stubbornness, then finally cancel so as not to look like total assholes, then the rain will stop and they will look like assholes anyway. Again.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

That tropical storm was cruising along then BOOM. Stops.

Earlier projections were it passing by Taipei at 6am, now it's maybe early afternoon. I'm all mentally prepared for a day off, and bought a bunch of food and such to get ready for it.

Then again, I'll have to make up classes on Saturday if tomorrow is off, so whatever.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

dlink posted:

edit:

I was with a group of friends and we did Taipei -> Taroko -> Taipei in one day. It's really tight but if you leave early in the morning you should be able to hike at least a few trails or, if you rent a scooter/take a bus, see a bit more of the park.

We took a bus from Taipei to Luodong station (http://goo.gl/maps/QqJG) and you should get off at Xincheng station (http://goo.gl/maps/5zi3). There are cabs waiting right out front to take people up to Taroko usually, and it's pretty cheap. We made the mistake of going all the way to Hualien station and the cab ride up to Taroko was about $20USD (split between 4 of us, so $5 each). From Xincheng I'd imagine it to be less than half of that.

There is also a scooter rental place right at Xincheng station, although I don't know if they rent to foreigners or if you'd need any sort of license. Legally I know you need a license but these places in the more rural areas tend to be more relaxed. The scooter rental sign was in English, though.

When we were done we just caught the last bus from the Taroko visitor center back to Xincheng station, rode the train to Luodong station, and hopped on a bus back to Taipei. Nobody spoke English in the Luodong or Xincheng stations so some Chinese will definitely be helpful. Plan as much as you can before using Google maps. Make sure you select public transportation, it is incredibly accurate and helpful.

This might not be immensely helpful since you're leaving from Taizhong, but hopefully someone can use it.

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 19, 2012

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
I know it's par for the course for friends or "language exchanges" and it's an available field on facebook or whatever but that's really disheartening to see as a criterion for employment. How can I possibly take anything at that company seriously now?

dtb
Feb 1, 2011

I like to traveling world and take pictures of.

USDA Choice posted:

I know it's par for the course for friends or "language exchanges" and it's an available field on facebook or whatever but that's really disheartening to see as a criterion for employment. How can I possibly take anything at that company seriously now?

That's what the money is for ;)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

USDA Choice posted:

This is also a country where the largest English school will insist that they wrote "Skidamarink" and please don't you dare suggest they stole it from a TV show.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Well my boss just called to tell me that school is NOT canceled. Hooray for working at Joy English where money is the beginning and ending of all answers. I honestly think even if it was the apocalypse and the sky was raining fire I would still have to go into work.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I have yet to get a call as well. I'm just gonna assume I will teach 3 students out of 18 today.

EDIT: Got the text! Yay

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 20, 2012

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Haraksha posted:

This is also a country where the largest English school will insist that they wrote "Skidamarink" and please don't you dare suggest they stole it from a TV show.

I called them out on this during training (JORDAAAAAAAAAAAAAN).

"Here's a great song we here at Hess made! It's called Skidamarink!"
Me: "Wait, stop. You mean the *quick song and hand motions* song?"
"Yes! That's it! You must have been at one of our previous trainings!"
Me: "No, I just grew up in the '80s, and watched a lot of lamb chop."

Edit: I figure afternoon classes are canceled, and since all I teach are afternoon classes, haHA!
Also, I'll have to make them up on Saturday.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
^^^Today is my long day so I seriously hope they at least cancel the afternoon classes. Especially if the wind starts to pick up.

GoutPatrol posted:

I have yet to get a call as well. I'm just gonna assume I will teach 3 students out of 18 today.

This is fully what I'm expecting at work today. Seriously why bother.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

HappyHelmet posted:

^^^Today is my long day so I seriously hope they at least cancel the afternoon classes. Especially if the wind starts to pick up.

This is fully what I'm expecting at work today. Seriously why bother.

Wish it was tomorrow, so I could teach 3 kids out of 24. 24 kids in SA13 is terrible.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Ravendas posted:

I called them out on this during training (JORDAAAAAAAAAAAAAN).

"Here's a great song we here at Hess made! It's called Skidamarink!"
Me: "Wait, stop. You mean the *quick song and hand motions* song?"
"Yes! That's it! You must have been at one of our previous trainings!"
Me: "No, I just grew up in the '80s, and watched a lot of lamb chop."

The Elephant Show and Lamb Chop are totally different. :colbert:

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Haraksha posted:

The Elephant Show and Lamb Chop are totally different. :colbert:

It all blends together in my head.

No call from my school here in Taipei, looks like I'm going to work, 2-4, 4:40-6:40.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE
According to [citation needed] Skidamarink was from a 1910 musical. :colbert:

I'm not sure about that, but it was also a summer camp song by the 1930s or 40s too, my grandparents know it.