Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.

Cumshot in the Dark posted:

I'm going to get corrective surgery done fairly soon for my severe myopia and astigmatism (I will most likely be getting PRK, maybe ICLs) but I have no idea where I should get the surgery done. My opthalmologist has wrapped up everything on his end and is waiting for me to choose a facility/doctor. He recommended a place called ReVision in Mansfield, and it looks like they have top notch gear, but the few patient reviews I've been able to find have been middling.
If there are any Ohio goons who want to share their experiences with their particular facility/doctor I'd love to hear them. I'm willing to make the drive to NE, central, and SW Ohio, plus SE Michigan.

Obviously it's a hike, but if you're willing to come out to NEO, I'll give you my opinions. I had my surgery at ClearChoice in Brecksville a couple months ago, and other than some dryness, I've had no problems. It does feel more like a cattle drive than anything, it's pretty much get you in and out as quickly as possible, but otherwise it's ok. And they must do a ton of business, because every time I've been there it's been absolutely packed. They also have free cookies, water, pop, Starbucks, tea, etc. On St. Patrick's day they even had Slyman's corned beef! I had the custom LASIK, so I can't speak to the other options. 6 months same as cash financing. 1 year touch-ups if needed, but later they're $500/eye, and you can get a warranty thing for lifetime touchups and 5 annual check-ups for $500. (Don't know if this changes with something other than customer lasik)

I also had a consult at TLC in Independence. That one was more of a slow pace and they seemed to take a little more time with me, but maybe that's just because the waiting room was deserted when I was there. When I asked, they had 1 year SAC financing. Free touchups for life (again, custom lasik).

Both places seem to be pretty highly recommended, and of course all the literature says how much better they are than everyone else, but supposedly Clearchoice's doctors have been around longer, more procedures, blah blah. They were also about $1000 cheaper total than TLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

2 months (almost) in. I can see 20/20. I love it.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I've been considering Lasik or some other surgery recently. I was born with bad vision, I guess, so if I "have to get reading glasses" when I'm older, whoopdefuckingdo. I can't see for poo poo right now. I feel so helpless, basically unable to perform basic tasks without glasses. I'm only -6.5 in each eye, been stable for years as far as I can tell. Got a new doctor who said my eye shifted .25 but that was a few years ago and I may have been borderline? New prescription didn't seem any better than my old one.

Anyway, I was wondering about the flap. This is the part that creeps me out. The rest I'm okay with (no blades, though). Scary, but I can deal. But the flap... I've read so much conflicting information on it. Is it true that the flap never heals? I've read it both ways. Is it true you basically can't do any sports without protective eye gear after Lasik? I play tennis occasionally and I don't want to wear goofy goggles. I'm not talking immediately after, I'm thinking like a year or two after. Some sites I read said that the flap is CONSTANTLY in danger of tearing loose. Another said that 18 months after Lasik, it's basically healed, and that it IS weaker than a regular eye, but any trauma that would damage a Lasiked eye at that point would damage a regular eye too.

If the flap tears or whatever, is there anything they can do?

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.
Myrddin If you were at major risk from a knock to the eye (say if you were a boxer or something) Lasek or PRK would be recommended for you instead of Lasik. It's much grosser and requires a blade but safer long term. With Lasik you should be fine for most sports after a month or so. The main complications of laser eye surgery is infection whilst the eye is healing. It's unlikely the flap can come loose as a hinge is created so it can't just fall off during the treatment or after. The flap might wrinkle slightly when healing (I believe this causes the most flap problems) but this can be corrected with another surgery they can just reposition it easily.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

That's actually a concern I have as well. While I don't box, I do play backyard football, which tends to involve a lot of hits to the head.

Frankly, both the laser and the knives scare the gently caress out of me. But if the chop chop method is better if you get in the head, I think I'll have to go down that route.

Anyone know how long before/after you get the surgery before you can start doing strenuous activities again? I'd like to have it done this summer, but I don't want to completely sink the exercise routine I've started.

Buggiezor
Jun 6, 2011

For I am a cat, you see.
My mom had LASIK 6 days ago and is thrilled with her results. She said at first things were a little "hazy" like in movies where holy things have fuzzy light around them. But that has almost completely gone away now and she can see 20/15. She said the first day felt like her eyes were on fire and she could barely hold them open long enough to put the drops in, but the next day was almost like nothing had happened. Just a little scratchy. It's a little early in her recovery still, but overall she says she's happy and would do it again. :)

Schitzo
Mar 20, 2006

I can't hear it when you talk about John Druce

SeaTard posted:

That's actually a concern I have as well. While I don't box, I do play backyard football, which tends to involve a lot of hits to the head.

Frankly, both the laser and the knives scare the gently caress out of me. But if the chop chop method is better if you get in the head, I think I'll have to go down that route.

Anyone know how long before/after you get the surgery before you can start doing strenuous activities again? I'd like to have it done this summer, but I don't want to completely sink the exercise routine I've started.

Probably not helpful, but I don't remember any restrictions on activity after PRK. That may be because for the first few weeks you feel too lovely to bother, however.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Beep Street posted:

Myrddin If you were at major risk from a knock to the eye (say if you were a boxer or something) Lasek or PRK would be recommended for you instead of Lasik. It's much grosser and requires a blade but safer long term. With Lasik you should be fine for most sports after a month or so. The main complications of laser eye surgery is infection whilst the eye is healing. It's unlikely the flap can come loose as a hinge is created so it can't just fall off during the treatment or after. The flap might wrinkle slightly when healing (I believe this causes the most flap problems) but this can be corrected with another surgery they can just reposition it easily.

I'm a computer programmer, so there's not much risk there. I used to play hockey, but I don't anymore and that was with a full face mask anyway.

The flap DOES heal though? I've read online anything from "it never does and you're at risk your whole life" or "it takes 18 months to fully heal and then is more or less ok".

PRK sounds scary. I would never use a blade, either.

SeaTard posted:

Is hits to the HEAD the problem, or hits directly to the eye?

I do play tennis, which for some reason I've seen listed as a sport you'd have to wear goggles for FOREVER after Lasik. That seems ridiculous to me.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
The way it was explained to me by the surgeon was to avoid activities where there was a risk of sudden impact (for me, horsebackriding) for 3 weeks, at which point those activities no longer pose a risk. They did, however, recommend wearing goggles during high-impact water activities (in my case, surfing) for the next year. Apparently in their experience, they've only ever seen issues after a certain point when firemen get knocked in the face with a water hose. Something about the sheer force of the water potentially hitting an eye at a certain angle.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Myrddin Emrys posted:

I'm a computer programmer, so there's not much risk there. I used to play hockey, but I don't anymore and that was with a full face mask anyway.
The flap DOES heal though? I've read online anything from "it never does and you're at risk your whole life" or "it takes 18 months to fully heal and then is more or less ok".
PRK sounds scary. I would never use a blade, either.
It does heal. You should be more concerned about it wrinkling up when it is healing in the first few weeks. If the surgery was seriously risky this thread would be full of people who have had the treatment moaning about their lovely flapless eyes.

Myrddin Emrys posted:

Is hits to the HEAD the problem, or hits directly to the eye?
I do play tennis, which for some reason I've seen listed as a sport you'd have to wear goggles for FOREVER after Lasik. That seems ridiculous to me.
Hits to the eye directly but you're naturally protective of your eyes so not very likely to happen. Certain contact sports and jobs are flagged as risky, the surgery centre would of course ask you about your lifestyle to make sure you're getting the right treatment done.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Beep Street posted:

It does heal. You should be more concerned about it wrinkling up when it is healing in the first few weeks. If the surgery was seriously risky this thread would be full of people who have had the treatment moaning about their lovely flapless eyes.

Hits to the eye directly but you're naturally protective of your eyes so not very likely to happen. Certain contact sports and jobs are flagged as risky, the surgery centre would of course ask you about your lifestyle to make sure you're getting the right treatment done.

That makes sense. I don't currently play anything except tennis and go running sometimes, but I do hate to rule out future things, but if it's only for a year or two like ChloroformSeduction said, that's not too bad.

I know Lasik hasn't been around that long, and most people in this thread seem to be relatively recent surgeries. I dunno, it just makes me nervous, but I'll talk to my doctor about it.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The flap never 100% heals, but you're certainly not at risk of sneezing and having them dislodge. You'd need to take a blow to the eyes or a really, really traumatic blow to the head (in which case you naturally have some other worries) for it to come loose. I'm 4 years in and my flap is still checked every 6 months or so, but it's only fractionally weaker than an undamaged eye - the trauma it would take to pop it out would already gently caress your eyes up anyway, regardless of surgery.

That said, I'm 4 years in. A year ago my eye doctor saw my vision was slipping a bit. Six months ago I was down to 20/40, and having a bit of problems while driving and distance seeing - I could see, but finer details and smaller signs were a pest. He put me back in glasses to try and stabilize my eyes by reducing eye strain, and last Friday I had another checkup. One eye slid a tiny bit to the worse still, but it's stable enough that I'm going back to the clinic I got the LASIK done to see if I'm up for a touchup. When I'd originally gone down, they said my corneas were too thin for LASIK, but intralase showed I was within tolerances - they're not sure offhand if that means I'm too thin to get a follow up or not, so I'll be going through all the scans and see what's up.

Follow ups aren't uncommon, so don't think that getting LASIK automatically means no glasses/contacts for life. You eyes can still shift, and likely will with age anyway. Still, I was 20/240+ when I got my surgery, so 20/40 is still amazing, even though I'm pissed I'm back in glasses once more. With luck I'll get touchups and pray I don't slip again afterwards, but I still count it as a great success based entirely off of the fact that my new glasses are several times lighter than they were previously and that in the middle of the night I'm not completely and utterly blind.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Mortanis posted:

The flap never 100% heals

See, this is the part I get conflicting information on. Some say it never heals, some say it heals in 18 months but isn't as strong as an untouched eye (but that this isn't really practically a big deal)... This whole subject seems like a bit of an unknown risk, no?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Yeah, your mileage may vary, and maybe the jury is still out, but my surgeon said I'd always have to take care, but that we're talking the difference between 100% perfect and 95% perfect - functionally that 5% is "your eyes would be traumatized anyway". I'm not a terribly sportsy sort of guy anyway so functionally my life is no different than if I hadn't had it.

Though I do gather there may be issues with pressure-related events - deep sea diving, sky diving, etc. This is all not verified by a doctor, but I'm under the impression that the Air Force allows PRK but not LASIK, and that pressure difference can cause problems with the flap.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Mortanis posted:

Though I do gather there may be issues with pressure-related events - deep sea diving, sky diving, etc. This is all not verified by a doctor, but I'm under the impression that the Air Force allows PRK but not LASIK, and that pressure difference can cause problems with the flap.

From a reddit AMA, Lasik is allowed in the Air Force, but not for fighter jets, I think. Cargo planes and stuff are fine.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009
I had my Ultralase consultation yesterday! Everyone was super friendly and informative while examining my eyes in lots of new and strange ways.

I asked about The Flap and was told it would take 3 months to heal and then was nothing to worry about.

I'm leaning towards their Ultra Elite surgery because they say it will improve my night vision. Currently I get halos and all that at night around lights but they would smooth out all those aberrations that cause them. It'd be incredible if true because right now I'm not comfortable driving at night. I'm EXCITED!

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
One thing I'm curious, how the hell do you not blink for like 10 minutes? I mean I know your eyes are held open, but sitting down and trying to keep my eyes open, I can last maybe a 30 seconds before an overwhelming urge and NEED to blink forces me to blink.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Zvezda posted:

I'm leaning towards their Ultra Elite surgery because they say it will improve my night vision. Currently I get halos and all that at night around lights but they would smooth out all those aberrations that cause them. It'd be incredible if true because right now I'm not comfortable driving at night. I'm EXCITED!
All three big providers in the UK have the technology to get rid of halos, ultra elite is five grand you might get the same treatment for cheaper elsewhere. Shop around!

Myrddin you won't blink because you get drops that numb your eyes so you don't feel the urge to blink.

alfredthehobo
Apr 1, 2004
I'm sorry for being fat and stupid. Padams took pity on me.
I have allergies and rub my eyes sometimes, could I do this after I get lasik or would the flap dislodge?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

Beep Street posted:

Myrddin you won't blink because you get drops that numb your eyes so you don't feel the urge to blink.

Ah, thanks. I didn't know that removed the urge to blink, too.

I'm calling my eye doctor today to schedule the initial "let's talk" meeting. Can't hurt!

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
Did anyone else become long sighted after the surgery? I went back for my 5 week checkup and it turns out my prescription went from -2.50/-2.75 pre surgery to +0.5/+0.25 post surgery. Not that it's noticeable at all and if I had known this would have happened before the surgery I still would have had it done without any hesitiation. I just never heard of anyone flipping from one into the other

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

Myrddin Emrys posted:

From a reddit AMA, Lasik is allowed in the Air Force, but not for fighter jets, I think. Cargo planes and stuff are fine.

This is false. Both are allowed with similar (if not identical) restrictions. The Flying Class 1 physical is the same for all pilots, there is no differentiation between tankers/bombers/fighters etc.

I've been poking around with the idea of gettin LASIK, but haven't gone through the hoops to get it approved.

xaarman fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 15, 2012

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

xaarman posted:

This is false. Both are allowed with similar (if not identical) restrictions. The Flying Class 1 physical is the same for all pilots, there is no differentiation between tankers/bombers/fighters etc.

Interesting. Looks like NASA also let's astronauts use Lasik now.

I think I have a consultation this Saturday, although the optometrist wasn't incredibly clear on if I was scheduled or not.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Well my consultation is Thursday. I was confused that they didn't ask me to bring anything. Does my eye doctor send over my eye medical history or something?

My prescription actually DID change a bit in the last year. I think -.25 in one eye. This was attributed to a slight astigmatism, which I've had for a long time but not corrected for until recently. I'm unsure if this affects my candidacy.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009
I went to get LASIK yesterday but apparently my eye is the wrong shape for the suction ring and after 4 attempts they had to call a halt. My eyeball is magnificently bruised!

I guess I can't complain - better to lose suction straight away than when they're cutting! - and the staff were super nice and reassuring, especially the nurses.

I could have gotten LASEK yesterday instead but didn't feel up to it after having my eye roughed up so much. I'm gonna have a think and probably go back and get it done. Got to pluck up the courage all over again!

Harvey Baldman
Jan 11, 2011

ATTORNEY AT LAW
Justice is bald, like an eagle, or Lady Liberty's docket.

This is one of those things that has always interested me as a nearsighted guy, but I've been repeatedly told that as you age the shape of your eye changes and you start to transition to being farsighted. Is this true? If so, does this mean that if I don't get any kind of correction I'll eventually swing into 'normal' vision as that happens?

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

JamSessionEin posted:

This is one of those things that has always interested me as a nearsighted guy, but I've been repeatedly told that as you age the shape of your eye changes and you start to transition to being farsighted. Is this true? If so, does this mean that if I don't get any kind of correction I'll eventually swing into 'normal' vision as that happens?

No. What happens is your muscles start to do something and most people need reading glasses and can't focus closely very well. This is typically in the 40-50s.

So you would have trouble far AND near for totally different reasons. I know because I just asked something similar...

Just got back from my Lasik consultation! Apparently I have like the most ideal eyes ever for Lasik or something. Nice, thick corneas. Great symmetry in something or other with bow-tie whosits and whatsits. Price is okay... $4500 after some discounts, with full or partial financing available.

Think I'm gonna do it. Have some pre-op tests to run still but I've picked a date/time already. Should be... interesting, to say the least. I'm excited and nervous!

One thing that made me feel BETTER was that they numbed my eyes at the consult and poked it with stuff to measure my cornea. So I got a short preview of what it's like to be numbed and have people loving with your eye.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zvezda posted:

I went to get LASIK yesterday but apparently my eye is the wrong shape for the suction ring and after 4 attempts they had to call a halt. My eyeball is magnificently bruised!

I guess I can't complain - better to lose suction straight away than when they're cutting! - and the staff were super nice and reassuring, especially the nurses.

I could have gotten LASEK yesterday instead but didn't feel up to it after having my eye roughed up so much. I'm gonna have a think and probably go back and get it done. Got to pluck up the courage all over again!

I had a similar experience when I pulled the trigger back in 2005. I signed a form telling them to do what ever was necessary to fix my eyes. So after 3 failed attempts with the suction, they switched over to LASEK and that was that.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

I had a similar experience when I pulled the trigger back in 2005. I signed a form telling them to do what ever was necessary to fix my eyes. So after 3 failed attempts with the suction, they switched over to LASEK and that was that.

I wish I had just gone for it now but it was pretty overwhelming at the time!

A question for people who have had LASEK: How were you feeling when you got the protective lenses out? I think I was told I would have them removed after 3 - 4 days. I live in the middle of nowhere and have a 3 hour train journey to the clinic. I'd probably have to go alone - possible, or the worst idea ever?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Zvezda posted:

I wish I had just gone for it now but it was pretty overwhelming at the time!

A question for people who have had LASEK: How were you feeling when you got the protective lenses out? I think I was told I would have them removed after 3 - 4 days. I live in the middle of nowhere and have a 3 hour train journey to the clinic. I'd probably have to go alone - possible, or the worst idea ever?

WORST POSSIBLE IDEA EVER! If you do LASEK, you absolutely need someone to assist you.

I had my surgery on a Friday. My eyes burned for the first 36 hours post-op. Like someone had a blowtorch on them. I could barely open them. I stayed hopped up on painkillers and slept. The pain subsided, and I was practically blind from the protective lenses being so gunked up. I listened to music and TV and slept a lot for the next several days.

They took the lenses out a week after surgery and I went from glasses to being blind to having perfect vision. It really was that dramatic.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

WORST POSSIBLE IDEA EVER! If you do LASEK, you absolutely need someone to assist you.

I had my surgery on a Friday. My eyes burned for the first 36 hours post-op. Like someone had a blowtorch on them. I could barely open them. I stayed hopped up on painkillers and slept. The pain subsided, and I was practically blind from the protective lenses being so gunked up. I listened to music and TV and slept a lot for the next several days.

They took the lenses out a week after surgery and I went from glasses to being blind to having perfect vision. It really was that dramatic.

Jeez, thanks! I suspected as much. At the clinic they pushed a "this member of staff had LASEK and she felt totally fine, like nothing had been done!" angle but yeah, I'd rather prepare for the worst.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Even despite 36 hours of agony and a week of 'blindness', I would do it again in a heartbeat and highly recommend corrective surgery. It's been 7 years and I've had no complications and no changes in my vision. I don't mean to scare anyone off :ohdear:

I do recommend getting temporary tear duct plugs put in during the surgery -- dry eye is a short term side effect regardless of method. I was doing drops twice a day for the first few months. I can't imagine what not having the plugs would have been like (mine dissolved after like 9 months).

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 3, 2012

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
I'm scheduled to go in a week from Monday for Lasik. I go through waves of being really excited to being a bit scared and back again. Got all my appointments set for post op, and I have another pre-op exam on Monday.

Basically, the receptionist who scheduled my first appointment asked me if I wore soft or hard contacts. They didn't ask about toric soft contacts. Had to be out of soft for 2 weeks, hard for 4 weeks. They scheduled the appointment for 2 weeks out. Trick is, toric they said had to be out for 3 weeks, so I have to do the wavescan again, not that that's a big deal.

One thing that REALLY helped me feel better was talking to my personal eye doctor. I had scheduled an appointment with her prior to the consultation but she said no, not necessary, since I had an exam in the last year. I had to do the dilation exam with her, though, so she walked me through the process again, which lined up with the lasik clinic, which made me feel good. I also asked her if it was safe, if she recommended it for me or was neutral on the subject, all that stuff, and she was enthusiastically for it due to my prescription and age and eye health.

For what it's worth, I'm -6 or -6.5 or around about there in each eye. But you know the big "E" that's sort of used as the baseline for the eye exam? The big one that's just a big-rear end E? I can't see that. At all. And she said that's 20/400.

Entropicus
Oct 6, 2007

IF THERE'S AN OP, I DIDN'T READ IT. ALSO, I HAVE NEVER USED GOOGLE OR WIKIPEDIA. MIND IF I ASK A FEW QUESTIONS?

Myrddin Emrys posted:

One thing I'm curious, how the hell do you not blink for like 10 minutes? I mean I know your eyes are held open, but sitting down and trying to keep my eyes open, I can last maybe a 30 seconds before an overwhelming urge and NEED to blink forces me to blink.

When they suction your eyeball out of your skull they put an apparatus to keep it open.

I was 20/400 and went with LasikPluss mid grade laser, spent lil over 3k with the "visual acuity" plan that guarantees adjustments should you start getting worse again.

I was initially pretty calm, they actually give you a valium to take the edge off. But they didnt let the numbing drops kick in long enough and I felt a pinch when they cut the flap... that on top of the drop of blood rolling down my cheek ruffled my feathers a bit. Laying there inhaling the ozone, trying not to flinch while thinking about the waiver you sign that included "retinal detachment". Even with each eye taking less than a minute I was mentally shaken afterward. Everything was fuzzy till I got home and immediately passed out when I hit the bed.

I took a week off as I work in a place with lots of dust and debris in the air, but the next day my vision was perfect. I worked in the yard all week with no issues(though I did wear safety goggles just in case) Even with the little hitch Id do it all over again, its the best money Ive ever spent on myself.

On the flap healing, you have to think any scar tissue, broken bones, pretty much all seperated tissue that heals is functionally perfect. Just not as strong as the original.

Entropicus fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jun 10, 2012

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Thanks Entropicus.

I went in for my last pre-op appointment today. Everything is go. Pretty excitescared.

I also learned that without glasses I'm approximately 20/800. So this should be well worth the money.

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!
Well, had my Lasik yesterday.

Surgery itself seems to have gone textbook, although in retrospect it was scary as poo poo. I had taken a 2mg valium, and didn't think it was doing much, but now that I think back I think I would have been freaking out if I hadn't taken it. Instead I was just calm. I didn't know what Valium does so I kinda thought I would feel high or something but I just felt neutral on everything.

Operation itself was kinda scary. I had a good surgeon though. I was told because I have a higher prescription than most people my risk of needing an enhancement is higher - 5-6% for me. Which still seems low. The cool part is the clinic I went through offers free enhancements for life, no "add-on package" or upsell or anything. As long as I follow post-op procedures and get annual exams, I get free enhancements for life. Also my surgeon doesn't even offer anything except bladeless and wavefront - says the other stuff is outdated and riskier, so why even offer it as an option. I like him.

I didn't lose vision totally during suction, and as I expected that was the worst part. They pressed the ring down hard and I could feel intense pressure. Then they said "Suction!" and I was like "gently caress, that wasn't even turned on yet?" Then my vision faded, but never went away completely. They said it was going to, and talked to me as if I was blind, but I could still see, albeit faintly.

Yesterday was torture for me - 45 minute drive into the sun. Obviously I was a passenger, so I had my sunglasses on but that wasn't enough. I covered my whole face with the postop packets they gave me and that helped, but my left eye had a searing pain in it.

Went home, popped a nyquil (doc said to), laid in bed and felt like I couldn't sleep due to the pain. "Fifteen minutes" later I got out of bed and discovered it was 3 hours later. Heh. Pain had faded, and after using some drops it went away completely. Right eye feels perfectly fine, left feels like there's something in it, but only a little.

I was oddly disappointed by my vision immediately post-surgery. They told me there would be a shock value, that I would sit up and read the clock across the room and it would be amazing. It wasn't. I was in a fog and everything was blurry. BUT... I realized a few minutes later, when I was sitting with my eyes closed in a dark room, resting, that it was a weird combination of clear and fuzzy. I could SEE the clock across the room, and I could see the hands, but I couldn't read the letters. I could see the doctors faces, though their features had a slightly fuzzy ring around it.

Considering how bad my eyes were before, this was HUGE.

Before, I wouldn't have been able to discern the doctors' facial features, or known there was a clock where it was, much less the hands of the clock.

The rest of the day I did my best to keep my eyes closed. When I opened them I noticed the world was still a bit fuzzy and not clear yet. If I had to guess I'd say maybe my vision was 20/40 or something at the time. That's just a guess, I have no basis for that. After my nap it got closer to what I thought 20/20 should be.

This morning, everything looks crystal sharp. Lights of all kinds have a halo around them - that part kind of sucks and hopefully it goes away. My computer monitor has a slight fuzz around the edge, and the LED on my speaker has a very strong 1/4 inch ball of orange light around it in a perfect circle. Lights outside were like that too. No glare/flares though, just the halos.

I'm told these fade over time?

So far no dry eyes, either, haven't felt the need to use drops (though I'm using them anyway - doctor's orders) - but I had kinda wet eyes prior to the surgery, so...

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Myrddin Emrys posted:

My computer monitor has a slight fuzz around the edge, and the LED on my speaker has a very strong 1/4 inch ball of orange light around it in a perfect circle. Lights outside were like that too. No glare/flares though, just the halos.

I'm told these fade over time?

So far no dry eyes, either, haven't felt the need to use drops (though I'm using them anyway - doctor's orders) - but I had kinda wet eyes prior to the surgery, so...
They fade over time but for me they haven't gone away 100%. I am three years out and still get halos from bright lights like car headlights and streetlights. It is nowhere near what it was right after the procedure, but it's not exactly the way it was before, either.

Definitely the first few months I was seeing halos from lights that were nowhere near as bright as headlights, such as the blue LED on the front of my TV when it's on. Hell, my cell phone screen had a halo the first couple days. That annoying stuff went away inside of 2-3 months.

In regards to dry eye though I had some dry eye issues and they actually didn't manifest themselves until maybe a couple weeks later. For me staying hydrated really was just as important as the drops -- those nights where I'd drink four cocktails and not have any water before bed would mean that the next morning my eyes were not going to be happy.

Dyllyn
Mar 28, 2009

Greatness is always within Reach
I'm getting an appointment with an optometrist soon to discuss LASIK and this thread has been an eye opener for me. (har har)

On topic: For those of you who have completed LASIK, do you find yourself performing glasses related habits?

Whenever I've been reading something for more than 5 minutes, or see a pretty girl, I automatically bring my hand to the bridge of my nose and push my glasses up. I still do this when I wear contact lenses. Then I have to play it off like I'm scratching my nose.

Dyllyn fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 20, 2012

Myrddin Emrys
Jul 3, 2003

Ho ho ho, Pac-man!

kitten smoothie posted:

They fade over time but for me they haven't gone away 100%. I am three years out and still get halos from bright lights like car headlights and streetlights. It is nowhere near what it was right after the procedure, but it's not exactly the way it was before, either.

Definitely the first few months I was seeing halos from lights that were nowhere near as bright as headlights, such as the blue LED on the front of my TV when it's on. Hell, my cell phone screen had a halo the first couple days. That annoying stuff went away inside of 2-3 months.

In regards to dry eye though I had some dry eye issues and they actually didn't manifest themselves until maybe a couple weeks later. For me staying hydrated really was just as important as the drops -- those nights where I'd drink four cocktails and not have any water before bed would mean that the next morning my eyes were not going to be happy.

Thanks for the update. I had some haloing when I wore glasses pre-operation, so if it settles to that level that would be fine. Doctor said it's going to fade, though.

First day post-op exam was yesterday, and they said I had 20/20, although one eye was a shaky 20/20. I feel like my vision is fluctuating a bit, and it's definitely a bit weaker in low-light, but then I can't think of too many situations where I'd need to read something across the room in low lighting.

My night vision went from really good to kinda lovely - does that get any better? My eyes used to adjust pretty quickly to dark rooms, but I noticed the last two nights, my bedroom has been pitch black and I can't see anything but a few LEDs for the longest time. When I wake up in the middle of the night I can see okay, but when I go into the bathroom, turn on the light, then come back into the bedroom it's completely pitch black again.

Had some dry eye this morning, but used a few drops and everything feels great again. I'm lubricating the every hour like my doctor said, but I do it most of the time despite not feeling like I need to.

Dyllyn posted:

On topic: For those of you who have completed LASIK, do you find yourself performing glasses related habits?
So far, no, but I'm hyper-aware that I'm not really supposed to touch my eye area for the next week, so that could have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
A couple people mentioned that having the corrective surgery affected their up-close vision, is that common?

I work at a computer all day and I don't wear contacts because my close vision is not as good as with glasses and it was hard to focus on the screen. Am a little concerned that this would be the case after lasik.

That said, any suggestions for clinics/doctors in Chicago?

• Locked thread