Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm guessing I'm the only one that thinks James Storm has more potential as a star out of the two?

I would agree on that. Roode is a better worker but Storm has a ton more charisma, and the latter is usually what matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm starting to think we're having two different arguments as we may have different difinitions of what qualifies one to be a "star".

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The way I see it a 'Star' is someone that moves the needle of ratings and buyrates purely because people want to see them. Someone that a casual fan will recognize as a big name. The Rock. Stone Cold. Brock Lesnar. Guys like Roode, Storm, and even Punk or Sheamus aren't really 'Stars' they're just the guys getting the big pushes and main/semi main events. Being at the top or near the top of the card doesn't make you a star. Punk was a 'star' in that sense for about two months when he actually meant something. Now he regularly loses the audience during matches. Nobody's buying any PPVs to see Bobby Roode or Sheamus. They're not stars.

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jun 17, 2012

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

The way I see it a 'Star' is someone that moves the needle of ratings and buyrates purely because people want to see them. Someone that a casual fan will recognize as a big name. The Rock. Stone Cold. Brock Lesnar. Guys like Roode, Storm, and even Punk or Sheamus aren't really 'Stars' they're just the guys getting the big pushes and main/semi main events. Being at the top or near the top of the card doesn't make you a star. Punk was a 'star' in that sense for about two months when he actually meant something. Now he regularly loses the audience during matches. Nobody's buying any PPVs to see Bobby Roode or Sheamus. They're not stars.

The other definition would be a guy who is known to the public. Most WWE main eventers would be. Guys like Nash would be. But Roode? I don't think he is under either definition. Or if he is, then almost anyone who gets a reaction on UFC main shows is.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

So how was the first star made if he had no stars to beat?

They thought he was a star because They put him on the Telly.

Gonzo McFee fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 17, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Gonzo McFee posted:

They thought thought he was a star because They put him on the Telly.

That's pretty funny.

The actual question is where and at what point does Lou Thesz become a star, because the WWF title goes back to Buddy Rogers, who wrestled Thesz, and from Rogers it goes to the present day. Of course, the title stopped meaning anything at some point but who knows.

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

LordPants posted:

The actual question is where and at what point does Lou Thesz become a star
The second he went on TV. EVERYBODY on TV was a star in the '40's regardless of "star qualities"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
When Dave starts out by saying "No it's not!" you know the show is going to be good.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wait did they talk about Okada today? Or did I totally space out through it?

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

When Dave starts out by saying "No it's not!" you know the show is going to be good.

I don't want to say it sucked.......

Beasley
Sep 20, 2008

You better get ready to die.
Once again going to be on my friends' live podcast tonight. All three of us are indy guys here in Southern California. We start at 8pm PST, two hour show with very small breaks. Link below to listen live or you can check out their previous shows on iTunes at KP Radio.

http://www.krymzonpain.com/radio.html

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I didn't get to listen to the second half of WOR until tonight and wow. Dave's restraining order analogy. I wouldn't have made that one.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

MassRayPer posted:

I didn't get to listen to the second half of WOR until tonight and wow. Dave's restraining order analogy. I wouldn't have made that one.
Bryan was being a fool and "they don't want a restraining order against their company" did not need explanation.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Well, that Raw certainly proved Lance's point, that you don't need to watch the PPVs since they're not building the matches and the storylines will be paid off the next night for free anyway.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Reading the NXT spoilers, it doesn't look as bad as Dave makes it out to be. Listening to him, it sounds like they're jobbing out guys like Rollins every week.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
Lastest F4D with Larry Zbyszko talking about "structures on moon, pyramids, death of JFK and the end of the world". :stare:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Borh posted:

Lastest F4D with Larry Zbyszko talking about "structures on moon, pyramids, death of JFK and the end of the world". :stare:

Apparently his main problem with the New World Odor is their belief in the lone gunman.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The thread asking for questions is great.

quote:

I don't want him to answer any questions, just Zbyszko it and stall the whole show.

quote:

Did he ever win the human game of chess?

quote:

His thoughts on the New World ODOR.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Two minutes in and Larry is enlightening us on the true nature of death.

Larry is bat-poo poo on the level of some of Art Bell's craziest guests. Trust me I've listened to a lot of Art Bell.

10 minutes in:

There is no death, we are beings of light.
Catholic Church will reveal all of that.
Sun was yellow when Larry was a kid, is now white hot.
That's why we have global warming.
Aliens built the pyramids.
Structures on moon, JFK wanted to work with USSR to investigate, JFK/RFK killed by Illuminati for that, Nikita put into vegetative state.
We're in the same cycle we were before WW1 and WW2.
New Golden Age to follow
Archons.
We are going through the photos in the center of the galaxy.
Get your money out of the banks poo poo is about to go down!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 19, 2012

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Every once in a while they do a show which is worth your $10.99 all by itself. This is one of those shows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Larry is bat-poo poo on the level of some of Art Bell's craziest guests. Trust me I've listened to a lot of Art Bell.

10 minutes in:

Structures on moon, JFK wanted to work with USSR to investigate, JFK/RFK killed by Illuminati for that, Nikita put into vegetative state.
New Golden Age to follow
Archons.

So basically this is a new F4 After Dark?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

So basically this is a new F4 After Dark?

Yes. Although this did have a Scott Hall health update that he's apparently doing a lot better.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Observer Radio was good today.

Bryan: "But per the rules of WWE perhaps that's what happens with your #1 contendership. You can only lose it via pinfall or submission."
Dave: *heavy sigh*
Bryan: "I haven't seen the rule book! Perhaps it's consistent."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

Yes. Although this did have a Scott Hall health update that he's apparently doing a lot better.

That's good to hear, at least. What happened with him smacking his girlfriend around a while back?

Also, is anyone listening to Konnan's podcast? It's loving great. Konnan's funny as hell and a pretty good interviewer when he has guests, and his observations about minorities in wrestling are really interesting. I was expecting him to be way more bitter and self-aggrandizing for some reason, but so far he hasn't been as pathetically carny as a lot of guys from his era.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Bryan interviewing people about the paranormal brings to mind a lot of what I liked about Art Bell as a host, he doesn't judge, he doesn't mock, but he doesn't go along with everything either. He just lets them talk and asks them to elaborate on possibly interesting topics. Hes the same way with special guests on F4D and WOR too. As bad as he sometimes is as an analyst or in conversation with Dave, Lance, and Todd, he's a pretty damned good interviewer

TomWaitsForNoMan fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Jun 20, 2012

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Oops

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Bryan interviewing people about the paranormal brings to mind a lot of what I liked about Art Bell as a host, he doesn't judge, he doesn't mock, but he doesn't go along with everything either. He just lets them talk and asks them to elaborate on possibly interesting topics. Hes the same way with special guests on F4D and WOR too. As bad as he sometimes is as an analyst or in conversation with Dave, Lance, and Todd, he's a pretty damned good interviewer

Well Bryan did a Paranormal type show for a while. So he's obviously into that stuff. It was a fun show that unfortunately disappeared rather quickly. I enjoyed it while it lasted. In fact one of our esteemed goons here was on the show and was pretty great.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

He did a really great job of baiting Larry too. Bryan hasn't done a lot of interviews lately but this was a good reminder that he's become a great interviewer.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

He did a really great job of baiting Larry too. Bryan hasn't done a lot of interviews lately but this was a good reminder that he's become a great interviewer.

He really has. I find that my favourite shows are when he steps back a bit and acts as a host with Dave or Lance answering questions and providing analysis. It's a great dynamic when it works

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

He really has. I find that my favourite shows are when he steps back a bit and acts as a host with Dave or Lance answering questions and providing analysis. It's a great dynamic when it works

But this also leads to more of his worst antics, mainly, someone else (Todd, Dave, Lance) making a good point, then Bryan will detour the conversation about how he has this brilliant idea/analysis which is just a rephrasing of what the other person just said. That has to drive those guys nuts.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

maniacripper posted:

But this also leads to more of his worst antics, mainly, someone else (Todd, Dave, Lance) making a good point, then Bryan will detour the conversation about how he has this brilliant idea/analysis which is just a rephrasing of what the other person just said. That has to drive those guys nuts.

Sure, which is why I said it's better when he sits back and asks questions/follow-ups rather than trying to provide analysis himself

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
No one listens to the Todd shows so let's not pretend we know what goes on during them.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Todd was pretty cool on DKP this week.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

No one listens to the Todd shows so let's not pretend we know what goes on during them.

Todd exists purely so that people can ignore him.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

Todd was pretty cool on DKP this week.

so you have a morally bankrupt non charismatic person with terrible opinions who is an absolute pain to listen to AND todd martin on the same show?? wow!

MassRayPer posted:

10 minutes in:

New Golden Age to follow
Archons.

i would pay money to listen to a debate between you and larry z moderated by alvarez but i fear he'd pull the "Living Legend is above this" card

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 20, 2012

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

quote != edit

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BAN DICKEYE posted:

so you have a morally bankrupt non charismatic person with terrible opinions who is an absolute pain to listen to AND todd martin on the same show?? wow!

i would pay money to listen to a debate between you and larry z moderated by alvarez but i fear he'd pull the "Living Legend is above this" card

Larry single handedly saved Nitro the man is wrong about nothing.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

Larry single handedly saved Nitro the man is wrong about nothing.
When he does seem wrong, it's just a part of the human game of chess that he's playing to lull them into making a mistake.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I just picture Larry standing up in the middle of the interview and turning around to take a bow in front of absolutely nobody. During the late 90s that was his signature move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
"Coming up we've got Michael Chiesa for those of you who are UFC fans and for those of you who are... well, I'm not sure what kind of fan you'd have to be but we've got Matt Hardy"

Wonderful

• Locked thread