Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
Just googled that mod and it looks like tamriel rebuilt has come leaps and bounds since i last checked it out (and it was already pretty awesome.)

For all this new content, what level is best to tackle it at? i currently have no save data, if i create a new character will i be able to watz straight into the new content from the start, or will i need to build up a few levels first? Or are these end level quests for characters who have done everything that's already in the game and need new challenges?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

LtSmash posted:

I think you need a program like Xpadder or joy2key to make it work. A quick google found this which has a section at the end about getting a game pad working.

Thanks. I'll give Xpadder a go.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The whole "Tamriel Rebuilt" project has been something I've largely avoided, not because it looks bad, but because it looks so ambitious that I never thought it could be good. Every now and then, people pop up and mention it off-hand, but what do you think of this mod? Do you use it with other mods and, if so, does it seem incompatible with a lot of mods? Can you freely transition between Morrowind and the new areas (even if it requires a lot of swimming)? One of these days I should check the project out.

I haven't played it myself (I've actually just installed Morrowind to try it out) but I've heard nothing but good things about Tamriel Rebuilt, especially the Sacred East release which supposedly blows everything they've released so far out of the water in terms of quality.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Rooreelooo posted:

Just googled that mod and it looks like tamriel rebuilt has come leaps and bounds since i last checked it out (and it was already pretty awesome.)

For all this new content, what level is best to tackle it at? i currently have no save data, if i create a new character will i be able to watz straight into the new content from the start, or will i need to build up a few levels first? Or are these end level quests for characters who have done everything that's already in the game and need new challenges?

I'm running along pretty well at level 5-6 right now, so it's not a super challenge mode type thing as far as I've seen so far.

Also yeah, you can freely go between the big new Eastern land and the original landmass, just took me a little bit of swimming from Sadrith Mora. As for compatibility with other mods, I don't really use too many others, but from what I've heard it doesn't clash with much aside from other mods that add land where they have. Plus the quality from what I've been through is really top notch. Aside from the land just cutting off at one point (Eventually going too far south) I could forget I'm playing some big mod at times with how well everything flows.

Edit: Almost forgot, if you don't have the Morrowind code patch it'd probably be good to grab it if you give Sacred East a try. Unless you've got some other map extension thing, the new landmass gets cut off on the world map view, but there's a fix for it in the MCP. As an extra if you haven't seen it yet, here's about how the map looks now with Sacred East.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 18, 2012

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

e: Oh, thanks for the map. That's really impressive.

Here's a map of the whole thing, for reference:

Just how much content do these areas have, though? Do they have guilds and questlines, or are they mostly meant for exploration?

Elman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 18, 2012

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

From that reference, they've added the whole of the Telvannis and a fat chunk of the Mournhold district. I forget exactly what they said, but they've got something planned for the rest of the Mournhold region since Mournhold is pretty much already there because of Tribunal.

The Telvannis areas are a lot more fleshed out, more quests and things like that. The southern/Indoril areas they newly added are more for exploring and treasure hunting for now, but there's some good quests and things to do around there as well.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 18, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Tamriel Rebuilt is pretty awesome. Good quality work and the new map is probably the best one yet. If you are like me and have just recently started a Morrowind replay, it is completely worth it as I find myself forgetting/not realizing what stuff is TR and what stuff is vanilla Morrowind.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I can't wait until they finish the entire mainland. Which will probably be sometime around 2039 if they pick up the pace.

I do like how most of the new creatures look pretty good and make sense and how all the new towns and cities look totally fit into the world and feel like they are part of the same game as Vvardenfell. I also like that in some places you can pretty much jump from Vvardenfell to the mainland.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 19, 2012

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I can't wait until they finish the entire mainland. Which will probably be sometime around 2039 if they pick up the pace.

Yeah, Sacred East came out a whopping 3 and a half years after Antediluvian Secrets if I'm remembering right. I think someone from their team mentioned that release 4 would be quicker to get around to after Sacred East gets some more polishing done though, so that's something to hopefully look forward to.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

Yeah, Sacred East came out a whopping 3 and a half years after Antediluvian Secrets if I'm remembering right. I think someone from their team mentioned that release 4 would be quicker to get around to after Sacred East gets some more polishing done though, so that's something to hopefully look forward to.

I'll probably wait for that before I play this again, then. Next release is Almalexia.

I can't wait till I can start Tribunal by simply walking to Mournhold instead of teleporting there :allears:

Elman fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Jun 19, 2012

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Tamriel Rebuilt seemed very polished when I gave it a shot last year, but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get MGE grass to appear anywhere on the added land and decided to shelve it until I could find a fix. Now that I'm playing the game under OSX through Cider I can't use MGE or anything so getting ~pretty grass~ working isn't a dealbreaker anymore. As for the swimming issue, there's a separate mod that adds a boat you can take over to the mainland from Seyda Neen.

Speaking of which, I could do a quick writeup on getting the game running in OSX if anyone's interested – it's as simple as downloading a demo for a Mac game that uses Cider and filling the wrapper with your Morrowind install instead. So far all the mods I've thrown at it have worked perfectly; the only limitations are on things that require a separate executable (MWSE/MGE are a no-go, but an MCP-patched Morrowind.exe runs fine).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Is there a listing of what's in the mod pack? I recognise some of the mods, but there's other stuff where I have no idea what it does, or in the case of stuff like GCD, forget how it works.

Is Medium Armour ever worth using at all?

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
EDIT: Hahahah it's not a bug, it's seriously just how valuable stuff is in this game. I forgot.

OSheaman fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 20, 2012

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dr Snofeld posted:

In the vanilla game, no. But the expansions adds a few new medium sets and any sort of armor overhaul mod will balance things to make medium armor more viable.

gently caress, I just realized how long it's been since I played this. I should nuke my install and get in on this newfangled MGSO/Tamriel Rebuilt stuff.

VV I never had a problem with stealing in this game; there are enough merchants in this game where if you inadvertently sell a stolen item back to its original owner it's your own fault. Now picking up an item and not realizing someone else owned it, that's a problem. But there's a MWSE mod out there that turns your crosshair red if you mouse over an item, I'll try and remember what it is.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jun 20, 2012

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
I had completely forgotten how terrible crime is handled in this game, probably because I beat Skyrim since last time and it spoiled me. The only ways I know of to get around Morrowind's poo poo-tacular stolen items flag are to either edit the save file or use Crime Enhanced. CE is is as close to the Skyrim stolen item/fence system as the engine can probably permit, but it seems that one needs to modify the EXE to use it, so I doubt it works with the code patch. :mad: I'll probably end up poking around with Cheat Engine and see if I can't just disable the flags triggering altogether if it won't play nice.

Dr Snofeld posted:

It is when an early character in Vivec finds a full set of adamantium armor just lying around begging to be stolen. Later on it's still somewhat useful if your concept of "use" includes "sell".

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Hi there, I've got a couple of dumb questions. I just went through the instructions for MSGO and have it working just fine. In the past, I always used Galsiah's Character Development as well. Is there anything fancy that I need to do in order to install GCD or can I install it the normal way that you do a mod? Also, just to be sure, is Tamriel Rebuilt compatible with MSGO? It looks so sweet.

It's really nice to see how active the modding community still is. I haven't played Morrowind in several years, so I'm really excited to see all this new stuff.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

C-Euro posted:

VV I never had a problem with stealing in this game; there are enough merchants in this game where if you inadvertently sell a stolen item back to its original owner it's your own fault. Now picking up an item and not realizing someone else owned it, that's a problem. But there's a MWSE mod out there that turns your crosshair red if you mouse over an item, I'll try and remember what it is.

How many times have I had to load a previous save because I touched an owned bed, and was promptly evicted from a guild and sent to jail?

Many times.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

OregonDonor posted:

Hi there, I've got a couple of dumb questions. I just went through the instructions for MSGO and have it working just fine. In the past, I always used Galsiah's Character Development as well. Is there anything fancy that I need to do in order to install GCD or can I install it the normal way that you do a mod? Also, just to be sure, is Tamriel Rebuilt compatible with MSGO? It looks so sweet.

It's really nice to see how active the modding community still is. I haven't played Morrowind in several years, so I'm really excited to see all this new stuff.

MGSO is generally a graphics/audio/visual overhaul. It makes the game look drat sweet.

That being said, feel free to throw other mods on top of it. GCD works just fine, as does Tamriel Rebuilt.

There are other mods, like the Tamriel Rebuilt ground cover mod, that should be added after all this, but just make sure to read the read-mes.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
I am downloading the two packs that Hadlock made, as well as the Oggumsmod so I can upload it to my host.
Figure I have been hosting the AllConnaryTextures file for this long, may as well throw some more files up.

Though I will be moving that file to a different domain, so I can keep track of all my hosted files easier from now on, will post updated links when I get that all done.

Which speaking of does anyone know of a good FREE file hosting script that kind of replicates these other file hosting sites interfaces?
Would like it to generate masked links so people are not able to know the folders of which the data resides.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

How many times have I had to load a previous save because I touched an owned bed, and was promptly evicted from a guild and sent to jail?

Many times.

Like I said, it's always tough to tell what's owned and unowned but there's a MGSE that will do the Oblivion-style "turn my crosshair red if I'm pointing at an owned item", and if memory serves it works on beds and containers as well. I'll look up what it is when I get home from work.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

C-Euro posted:

Like I said, it's always tough to tell what's owned and unowned but there's a MGSE that will do the Oblivion-style "turn my crosshair red if I'm pointing at an owned item", and if memory serves it works on beds and containers as well. I'll look up what it is when I get home from work.

It does.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Is there a list of recommended/required gameplay mods? I've made the game look pretty but the combat feels even worse than ever.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Gyshall posted:

MGSO is generally a graphics/audio/visual overhaul. It makes the game look drat sweet.

That being said, feel free to throw other mods on top of it. GCD works just fine, as does Tamriel Rebuilt.

There are other mods, like the Tamriel Rebuilt ground cover mod, that should be added after all this, but just make sure to read the read-mes.

I took your advice and everything's working just fine. Thank you much!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Amorphous Blob posted:

Is there a list of recommended/required gameplay mods? I've made the game look pretty but the combat feels even worse than ever.

There aren't any mods that I have found which make combat satisfying at all, at least not in the sense of Oblivion/Skyrim.

BTB's Game Improvements (and basically every gameplay mod from his site) are pretty much my standard loadout as far as balance and enjoyment go. I use those coupled with GCD to make a pretty good and satisfying game experience.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I have a weird bug. I reformated, so I'm starting with a clean install. Used Wyre to change the dates of the .esa files, ran MGSO(mlox failed for some reason, everything else installed succesfully), and copied everything in the latest MGE_XE folder on top of it. Game looks fine, and I can read the text of the books in the room, but for some reason no text is displaying for the Release Identification papers. It looks like the cursor moves behind it when I bring it up, but there's no text at all. I can't even close it, there's no Take option or anything. No UAC, running as admin. Any idea what I should try?

e: Redid it from scratch, mlox failed again. I had to download Python 2.5 and the corresponding wxwidgets package, and run the most recent version manually. This seems to have worked.

What Fun fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jun 20, 2012

Positronic Spleen
May 5, 2010
The way theft works in Morrowind is that stealing an item means you can't sell/enchant that kind of item with the owner ever again. It doesn't matter if you pay the fine, go to jail, the item was confiscated (returned?), you didn't get caught taking it at all, or you drop the evidence somewhere else and use a totally different instance from the other side of the continent; for example, if you steal a diamond, then the owner will always assume ALL of your diamonds are theirs, forever. It's not really a problem for me to identify what is or is not stolen, but the NPCs' problem. Crime Enhanced would have been a good enough compromise, but it uses a custom version of MGE, a seemingly really old EXE extension which I guess doesn't work with the Steam version. In subsequent games, they tied the stolen flag to specific item instances, but then it also wouldn't allow you to incriminate yourself or single out the offending item anyways.

I almost never used beds (atronach) to say if their ownership would annoy me or not, but then I forgot to use the DB attack delay mod and was suddenly in possession of hilariously unbalanced armor at level 1. Anyone want to recommend an armor AR rebalance mod? Preferably something that doesn't conflict with MSGO's stuff, but I understand that might be impossible.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
I would agree that merchants automatically assuming all items of a stolen class are the stolen item in question is annoying, but in principle I much prefer "can't sell stolen stuff to the person you stole them from" to "can't sell stolen stuff to anyone unless you're a thieves' guild member and even then only to a tiny handful of people who don't have anywhere near enough money, even though there's no rational way anyone in the setting other than the owner should know it's stolen".

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Also if you're not selling everything to Creeper and the Mudcrab Merchant then you're not a true min-maxing pro and are basically throwing money away (not that money isn't pathetically easy to come across in this game, and even then there aren't a ton of things worth spending it on)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
If there's one thing I didn't miss about Morrowind it's the pathetic movement speed. Thank Akatosh for the Boots of Blinding Speed, the Breton spell resistance and a custom 3 second Resist Magicka spell.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Dr Snofeld posted:

If there's one thing I didn't miss about Morrowind it's the pathetic movement speed. Thank Akatosh for the Boots of Blinding Speed, the Breton spell resistance and a custom 3 second Resist Magicka spell.

One thing I can recommend if the move speed is really killing you, the mod Run Like the Wind is nice. It doesn't make you run 999 Mph or anything, but it gets you going.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Yardbomb posted:

One thing I can recommend if the move speed is really killing you, the mod Run Like the Wind is nice. It doesn't make you run 999 Mph or anything, but it gets you going.

Also, learn to love the bunny hop. It boosts Athletics as well, so it's exponential (by the end of Morrowind, you can pretty much do a standing jump to the roof of a house).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Learn to have Zen-like patience, and embrace the slowness of your PC.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
Someone here linked me to AllSpeeds, which is very easy to drop in and works nicely.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

ulmont posted:

Also, learn to love the bunny hop. It boosts Athletics as well, so it's exponential (by the end of Morrowind, you can pretty much do a standing jump to the roof of a house).

By far my favorite Stupid Morrowind Trick is a constant-effect 1-point Slowfall enchantment combined with a high-magnitude jump spell. Leap tall buildings, rivers, entire continents, etc., in a single bound, at no risk to yourself whatsoever.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

So is there a reason my Wrye Mash won't detect my installers or Replacers folders?
They are in my morrowind directory.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 23, 2012

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I can't quite remember, but I think Mash by default (even if you've installed a Steam version) assumes the Installers and Replacers folders are in the Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind default Morrowind installation directory, so you need to dig into the options and set the correct directories.

Also, if it's my pack you're trying to install, hope you enjoy it! :3

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Oggumogoggum posted:

I can't quite remember, but I think Mash by default (even if you've installed a Steam version) assumes the Installers and Replacers folders are in the Program Files/Bethesda Softworks/Morrowind default Morrowind installation directory, so you need to dig into the options and set the correct directories.

that's where I have it installed. I'm using the disc version.
And thanks,I'm sure I will.
EDIT-I got replacers to work. I was putting that into The directory instead of data files. The installers folder still doesn't work.
My Wrye Mash doesn't even make an installers folder,Which its supposed to.

Man Whore fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 24, 2012

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
A problem I have with Morrowind is that there's so many skills you have to pick for a character. Five Major and five Minor is a lot when you only want to hit things with a mace, and it gets to the point where you're picking multiple weapon skills and throwing in Mysticism on an orc barbarian just to make up the space. Morrowind does a lot of things better than its successors but I prefer Skyrim's class system. At least GCD puts an end to that attribute bonus optimisation poo poo.

Not a problem for a pure mage, of course, which is what I'm rolling just now because I'm sick of House Hlaalu. They seem to be a pain in the rear end to survive with at early levels before you can spam daedroths though. I don't like stealing poo poo when I'm not playing a thief character (because Immersion) but one of the Breton male faces added by Better Heads (I think) is such a smug motherfucker that I can't resist playing this guy as an rear end in a top hat wizard.

Oggumogoggum posted:

I'm impressed with the pack so far, myself. It's a shame that the readme doesn't go into more detail about what does what (understandable but still a shame) but I've used a lot of the mods before so it's not that big a deal. Still got no drat idea exactly how GCD works, I always just used a mod that made all modifiers +5 every time.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Is there a way to substitute a minor skill for a miscellaneous one? I ask because I chose a Breton wizard with unarmored, and I just realized that, when maxed, unarmored gives what, like a 65 armor rating?

If there's not a way, I'll probably just make it work, but I forgot how weak that skill was.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

OregonDonor posted:

Is there a way to substitute a minor skill for a miscellaneous one? I ask because I chose a Breton wizard with unarmored, and I just realized that, when maxed, unarmored gives what, like a 65 armor rating?

If there's not a way, I'll probably just make it work, but I forgot how weak that skill was.

There's several mods that change how unarmored work, one tacks on a sanctuary bonus, so that when maxed you have a sanctuary of 50, so half the attacks miss you.

Otherwise you can just build up an armor skill, it won't count for level ups, but otherwise doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

OregonDonor posted:

There's a mod out there, I'm certain it's in the mod pack but I forget what it's called, that gives a permanent Sanctuary effect that increases with Unarmoured skill. That, at least, should make Unarmoured less of a waste. At least I hope so, because I took Unarmoured as a major on this character.